Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

bilston wrote: »
    Johnston is definitely an upgrade on McPhillips, who to be fair had his moments, particularly the tail end of the horrendous 2017/18 season. He is very vocal and not afraid to get stuck in either. Give it a couple of years and he could turn out to be our best signing this year."

Not sure about that. BJ did well but Scarlets were pants. Leinster would have put 50 on them.

What to make of Faddes? I suppose he didn't do anything wrong last night, which itself is an improvement, he seems.tonhave a nose for the line. He still has some way to go but last night was better from him.

His best game so far but still not convinced he was worth bringing over from NZ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

His best game so far but still not convinced he was worth bringing over from NZ.

How many games has he played?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

7 appearances and 4 tries.

I think he needs to be given a chance to settle. How many of our other players have 4 tries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Bill Johnston has some very good handling and passing, some lovely distribution and perfect timing on his pass - this makes attacking the line hundred times easier when the ball is infront of everyone running onto it

Just watched St Pats in the schools cup v Carrick. They had the Ulster u18 Clubs 10 and a bunch of boys keen to run. Tackled pretty well. Ran fast. Not interested in mauling lol. Super stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Just watched St Pats in the schools cup v Carrick. They had the Ulster u18 Clubs 10 and a bunch of boys keen to run. Tackled pretty well. Ran fast. Not interested in mauling lol. Super stuff.
    format change been good success then? Seen fair few games in all provinces bar Ulster so far. Having interpro player will hugely help them.
    Hope schools thread can open and not be ruined this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I hope Bill Johnston works out for Ulster. He showed talent in flashes at Munster and injuries slowed his development. Given Ben Healy's performance on Friday night it was a great move for Johnston.

format change been good success then? Seen fair few games in all provinces bar Ulster so far. Having interpro player will hugely help them.
    Hope schools thread can open and not be ruined this year.

Yip, definitely been a success. Weaker schools and even teir 2 teams loving it - getting a chance to play 3 competitive cup matches without being knocked out and then entering the appropriate stage of the cup competition. Every coach I have asked thinks its great.

Teir 1 teams don't join until February.

Surely the school thread could open and any plonker who posts silly stuff about his old school etc can be banned rather than the thread closed down for everyone else. It was just a few Leinster dads causing the problems last time out.

RBAI were well beaten by Kings 1xv at Shawsbridge this pm as well. Kings had a couple of cracking centres and ran the ball really well.

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2019/12/04/ireland-u18-squads-named-for-festive-season-training-camps/

Thought there would have been a few more Ulster players in the mix especially given how close they ran Leinster in the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

15. Jacob Stockdale
    14. Louis Ludik
    13. Luke Marshall
    12. Stuart McCloskey
    11. Craig Gilroy
    10. Billy Burns
    9. John Cooney
    1. Eric O’Sullivan
    2. Rob Herring
    3. Marty Moore
    4. Alan O’Connor
    5. Iain Henderson (captain)
    6. Sean Reidy
    7. Jordi Murphy
    8. Marcell Coetzee
    Replacements:
    16. Adam McBurney
    17. Andrew Warwick
    18. Tom O’Toole
    19. Kieran Treadwell
    20. Matthew Rea
    21. David Shanahan
    22. Bill Johnston
    23. Matt Faddes

• Advertisement

Baloucoune unlucky to miss out entirely after last weeks performance.

Harlequins:
    15. Ross Chisholm
    14. Travis Ismaiel
    13. Michele Campagnaro
    12. James Lang
    11. Gabriel Ibitoye
    10. Marcus Smith
    9. Danny Care
    1. Joe Marler
    2. Elia Elia
    3. Kyle Sinckler
    4. Stephan Lewies
    5. Tevita Cavubati
    6. Semi Kunatani
    7. Chris Robshaw (captain)
    8. Alex Dombrandt
    Replacements:
    16. Jack Musk
    17. Nick Auterac
    18. Simon Kerrod
    19. Dino Lamb
    20. Tom Lawday
    21. Martin Landajo
    22. Francis Saili
    23. Vereniki Goneva

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Timoney injured or not picked? I love watching him play I think he's super

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Any type of win would be great. Next weekend will be tough. Win this week and Ulster are in the driving seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

I'm most worried about the scrum. Sinckler will be looking forward to having a go at O'Sullivan I reckon, even if he has improved this year. Apart from that they aren't a side to be scared of but Smith, Ibitoye and Dombrandt can all cause a lot of bother if our defence isn't switched on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Think Baloucoune would be a starter for me. Like Timoney, but not disappointed a local lad has leapfrogged him, and do think that Rea has earned the bench spot. Faddes is there for versatility, I presume, covering 13, wings and FB

Bath Clermont double header looks like it's going to be a home win a piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Disappointed Balacoune doesn't get a look in, but he doesn't have a lot of rugby behind him this season.

Timoney, Rea, Reidy is horses for courses so no complaints there.

O'Connor over Treadwell is interesting, but I'm a big fan of both so don't mind.

A bit early to be calling this game in favour of Bath Venjur. Don't know why they didn't take an easy 3 points there!

There's been some cracker interviews with Rory Gallagher n the last week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭jacothelad

There's been some cracker interviews with Rory Gallagher n the last week or so.

By Seance?:D

• Advertisement

What on earth... That's the most random phone autocorrect ever. I've never even texted or messaged his name...

Obviously I meant Mr R. Best.

Harlequins about to get properly humped imp.

Ferris has become a very good pundit. Took him a few seasons to remember to turn off his inner Ulster fan but he's great to listen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Did the ref just ignore a penalty for Quins at that scrum only for Quins to knock it on after 2 passes? Bit harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Robshaw is properly rattled whatever is wrong with him.

Marler is such a shíthouse, playing peacemaker but leaving a little on ludik and Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 21,623 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Lovely stuff from Marshall and then McCloskey finishing it off, you forget sometimes how good Marshall is as a distributor.

Side note, I absolutely hate the whole players sliding in on carriers like Lang did there, he didn't make contact luckily but it's such a stupid thing to do.

McCloskey has to be in contention for Ireland. Still has errors to his game but he's relentless here and central to Ulsters lead.

Brilliant from Ludik there, kept it in field and released the ball perfectly as support came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭ongarite

Thats is bad bad from Ulster.
    In total control at 2M out and then intercept and conceed for a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,623 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

ongarite wrote: »
    Thats is bad bad from Ulster.
    In total control at 2M out and then intercept and conceed for a try.

Superb stuff from Dombrant in fairness, Ulster just left scrambling to try and get back.

Advertisement