Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Clegg wrote: »
    McGrath and Carter will have surgery for their respective injuries. Sounds like Carter will be out for a while.

https://www.the42.ie/ulster-jack-mcgrath-sam-carter-injuries-surgery-4897247-Nov2019/

Disappointed for the injured players, but it shows Ulster strength in depth at the moment that the likes of Eric O’Sullivan, Alan O’Connor/Kieran Threadwell and Baloucoune/ Gilroy can cover for those injured.

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

2 more years for Billy Burns

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

awec wrote: »

That's good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

awec wrote: »

He is definitely improving all the time. Glad to hear he is staying on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Sam Carter suffered a shoulder dislocation in last weekend’s Champions Cup Round 1 win over Bath. He will require surgery and is expected to be ruled out for approximately 3 months.

Jack McGrath is also due to undergo surgery for a thumb injury, and his availability to play will be monitored over the coming weeks.

Rob Lyttle sustained a shoulder injury, which will sideline him for an estimated 6-8 weeks.

Marcus Rea suffered a fractured jaw playing for Ballynahinch RFC. It is anticipated that he will return to play in approximately 6 weeks.

Forked......again.

• Advertisement

Ulster team to play ASM Clermont Auvergne, Heineken Champions Cup Round 2, Friday 22 November at Kingspan Stadium (7.45pm, live on BT Sport & BeIN Sports):

(15-9) Will Addison, Louis Ludik, Luke Marshall, Stuart McCloskey, Jacob Stockdale, Billy Burns, John Cooney.

(1-8) Eric O’Sullivan, Rob Herring, Marty Moore, Alan O’Connor, Iain Henderson (Capt.), Sean Reidy, Jordi Murphy, Marcell Coetzee.

Replacements: Adam McBurney, Kyle McCall, Tom O’Toole, Kieran Treadwell, Nick Timoney, David Shanahan, Bill Johnston, Craig Gilroy.

I would have much preferred to see Gilroy or Baloucoune start on the wing ahead of Ludik.

Clermont
    15. Nick Abendanon
    14. Peter Betham
    13. Isaiah Toeava
    12. George Moala
    11. Alivereti Raka
    10. Jake McIntyre
    9. Greig Laidlaw
    1. Etienne Falgoux
    2. John Ulugia
    3. Rabah Slimani
    4. Paul Jedrasiak
    5. Sitaleki Timani
    6. Peceli Yato
    7. Arthur Iturria
    8. Fritz Lee (captain)
    Replacements:
    16. Mike Tadjer
    17. Loni Uhila
    18. Davit Zirakashvili
    19. Thibault Lanen
    20. Lucas Dessaigne
    21. Morgan Parra
    22. Camille Lopez
    23. Apisai Naqalevu

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

That is a frightening team Clermont have. Especially the backline. The one saving grace for Ulster is Laidlaw at halfback.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    That is a frightening team Clermont have. Especially the backline. The one saving grace for Ulster is Laidlaw at halfback.

How much do you know about the 10 for Clermont?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I don't follow the top 14 that much... Who the blazes is Jake McIntyre and why is he starting ahead of Lopez?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

mogwai81 wrote: »
    I would have much preferred to see Gilroy or Baloucoune start on the wing ahead of Ludik.

I shudder to think of how that might work if Raka was running at them full tilt.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,263 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Jake McIntyre... jaysus theres a blast from the past...

a bitpart super rugby reds player from a few years back... young back then, but looked decent when he played.

i havent seen anything of him since he left SR. i think hed have a bit more of a running threat than lopez... but im not sure thats what clermont need on a cold night in belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Bazzo wrote: »
    I don't follow the top 14 that much... Who the blazes is Jake McIntyre and why is he starting ahead of Lopez?

Top 14 no longer has any UK TV coverage. Good highlights on Youtube though uploaded from each Monday morning.
    Neither have I heard of Jake McIntyre. Wonder why Lopez is not playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

How much do you know about the 10 for Clermont?

I pretty much agree with Syd's assessment. Decent player, more of a running threat than Lopez, solid goal kicker, had a couple of seasons in the Aus U20s (I think), he's spent the past couple of years in the Top 14 but I can't remember with who. I would have thought Lopez was the better choice for a cold, wet, November night in Belfast.

The danger is if Toeava, Moala, Raka and Betham get a lot of ball and a bit space. They could tear Ulster apart.

I shudder to think of how that might work if Raka was running at them full tilt.

There's a good chance Raka could turn Ludik inside out too, but I feel Gilroy and Baloucoune would offer more going forward.

Marty Moore signed on until the summer of 2022. Great news!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Scrum looks in trouble a little, and I'm worrying that Cooney's mess up has set the tone now. Looked ok otherwise though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,905 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Excellent kick from Cooney. But he's having a stinker with ball in hand.

Clermont have been terrible, but I don’t think Ulster have been great either.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Clermont have been muck but it’s a terrible game really.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,623 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Clermont have been terrible, but I don’t think Ulster have been great either.

Should be a couple more scores ahead I reckon. Don't think the conditions are helping the cause, but Clermont have really been awful.

A couple of times I think we've looked dangerous/moderately useful going forward, but we're poor at securing our own ball and are throwing some shocking passes. Clermont defence has looked suspect, so I would've preferred being a little farther ahead at halftime before Clermont have a chance to regather themselves. Tough 40 minutes coming up.

This game is so poor but I'm actually loving the atmosphere. Crowd really getting involved now.

So. Many. Knock-ons.

So. Many. Knock-ons.

It’s pissing down up there I think. It was anyway. Might explain it

Henderson doing his best James Lowe impression, I'd say EOS got a glimpse of more than he hoped for there.

The stat sheet will look good for Cooney but he’s really not doing his Ireland chances much good here. He hasn’t controlled the game at all.

Faugheen wrote: »
    The stat sheet will look good for Cooney but he’s really not doing his Ireland chances much good here. He hasn’t controlled the game at all.

Commentators curse.

All of those trick shot videos paying off for Cooney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭testtech05

Commentators curse.

All of those trick shot videos paying off for Cooney.
    Nice skills to control that!!

Advertisement