Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

I mean, we haven't looked good and there's too many mistakes, but those hits and that try make this worth watching.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

testtech05 wrote: »
    Nice skills to control that!!

This. Did extremely well there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,901 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Jordi has been excellent.

Clegg wrote: »
    Jordi has been excellent.

Person I’ve been most impressed with is Marty Moore. Got through a mountain of work and it’s great to see him playing so well.

The two young lads getting minced in the scrum by the old heads of Clermont.

• Advertisement

Ludik showing why he deserved to start - so consistent in the air in horrible conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭testtech05

Great win

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Well done Ulster, looked very good indeed tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Where's Awec?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Ludik showing why he deserved to start - so consistent in the air in horrible conditions.

Something about the way both Louis & Cooney play that is inspirational.
    I cant quite put my finger on it....but they are max effort for 80mins in every game.

IF Herring, Henderson, Coetzee, Cooney, Ludik & Addison can keep injury free that is a strong & very consistent spine from which to build.
    All of them played the 80.
    & Fair play to Moore - got to '66.

A fcucking great try from Cooney this eve! Great heads up, courage and skill.
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1197988504376160257

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BakeMeACake

That was a great win

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Great result, decent performance, should have been more.comfortable.

Coetzee, Murphy and Moore were all great.

Cooney and Burns played well.

The change at scrum time nearly cost us big time. Pity Clermont got a LBP, that could be important come the end of the pool stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Scythica

I had my doubts about Burns but he is really stepping up and growing with every passing week.

If Cooney continues like this he HAS to be in the Ireland team, and may soon become more of an Ulster legend than Ruan!

Ulster pack starting to look the real deal. That's a great win at home, real contenders this year and taking charge of the pool going into the double headers is key - especially as I back Ulster to beat Harlequins home and away.

If Clermont lose away to Bath they could be out of the running by round 5 depending on how other pools are shaping up.

I think you will get 5 next at home against Harlequins, and 5 at home against Bath.

Just 1 point from Clermont away and that's 19 which I think gets you a home quarter final, 4 away against Harlequins and that's definitely a home quarter and in the running for a home semi.

One worry is that Burns was clearly carrying an injury for much of that game.

Fine he gets next week off against the Scarlets, but we need him fit and firing against Harlequins.

Scythica wrote: »
    I had my doubts about Burns but he is really stepping up and growing with every passing week.

If Cooney continues like this he HAS to be in the Ireland team, and may soon become more of an Ulster legend than Ruan!

Burns has definitely kicked on. He got a good ovation from the Prom as he left the pitch last night too which shows he is now appreciated by the supporters. Good to see. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in an extended Ireland training squad this season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Team def fronted up tonight, especially the pack. Disappointed we didn't press home the advantage more but conditions looked really awful.

Best have I've seen from LL in a while, surprised me I'm very happy to say. Burns as well, another great performance.

Saying that, my god Clermont really didn't turn up at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Murphy was fantastic in a fairly forgettable match. Clermont never really fired a shot, despite Ulster having some key players struggling,i.e McCloskey.
    Great win all the same. The coaching team has instilled some belief in Ulster and they are difficult to play against. Coetzee is out on his own. There's no one in the same class as him on the island. Pity he wasn't a project player and qualified for Ireland. Once again, Moore was very good, I think he's going to make it back into the national squad this 6nations. Great effort all around.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Murphy was fantastic in a fairly forgettable match. Clermont never really fired a shot, despite Ulster having some key players struggling,i.e McCloskey.
    Great win all the same. The coaching team has instilled some belief in Ulster and they are difficult to play against. Coetzee is out on his own. There's no one in the same class as him on the island. Pity he wasn't a project player and qualified for Ireland. Once again, Moore was very good, I think he's going to make it back into the national squad this 6nations. Great effort all around.

Ulster beat Clermont Auvergne...there is nothing forgettable about that at all.

Other than McCloskey which other key players struggled?

I don't get the negativity. That was a potentially pool defining victory, personally I'm delighted.

It was a disappointing game objectively I suppose - made a lot of mistakes and gifted them a bonus point, which will probably prevent us from having a chance at winning the group. Subjectively, it was a win against a very strong side that most wouldn't have expected us to win, especially with the injuries we had. It was also just a fun game to experience imo - the hits we put in were fantastic and there were some nice moments going forward. Not a game for the neutral though.

Moore has been great so far. Throws himself about in defence brilliantly. I do wonder about his fitness though - are the coaches happy with his weight atm? Do not expect him to have to play extended minutes? He doesn't have a great injury profile, and the added timber won't help that.

Coetzee is one of my favourite players. The only backrow attribute he doesn't bring to the squad is lineout work. Does everything else pretty much better than everyone else in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,623 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

It was a disappointing game objectively I suppose - made a lot of mistakes and gifted them a bonus point, which will probably prevent us from having a chance at winning the group. Subjectively, it was a win against a very strong side that most wouldn't have expected us to win, especially with the injuries we had. It was also just a fun game to experience imo - the hits we put in were fantastic and there were some nice moments going forward. Not a game for the neutral though.

Moore has been great so far. Throws himself about in defence brilliantly. I do wonder about his fitness though - are the coaches happy with his weight atm? Do not expect him to have to play extended minutes? He doesn't have a great injury profile, and the added timber won't help that.

Coetzee is one of my favourite players. The only backrow attribute he doesn't bring to the squad is lineout work. Does everything else pretty much better than everyone else in Ireland.

Marty's always struggled with fitness and his weight. Happened at Leinster and also at Wasps where there was periods where he was definitely carrying an extra few kilos coming back from injury and it took a while to get back up to full speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Clermont's bonus point means their still in the driving seat for the group

Disappointed we let them get it when they looked so abject.

I'd expect a fair few changes this weekend otherwise we'd be asking our big players to turn out 5 weeks in a row leading into 3 Christmas/New Year Inter Pros.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

bilston wrote: »
    I'd expect a fair few changes this weekend otherwise we'd be asking our big players to turn out 5 weeks in a row leading into 3 Christmas/New Year Inter Pros.

Who's out definitely? McGrath, Carter, Rea Jr, Lowry, Hume, Lyttle?

Who's out definitely? McGrath, Carter, Rea Jr, Lowry, Hume, Lyttle?

Can't see Burns being available this weekend either. Hope he is ok for Quins. It will be another good chance for Johnston. Lowry was ruled out for 6-8 weeks so may not be far away from returning either.

I think O'Sullivan needs to sit this one out, probably Moore as well. Hendy and Coetzee shouldn't be risked either.

So straight away the pack looks like it could change a lot.

Can't see Burns being available this weekend either. Hope he is ok for Quins. It will be another good chance for Johnston. Lowry was ruled out for 6-8 weeks so may not be far away from returning either.

I think O'Sullivan needs to sit this one out, probably Moore as well. Hendy and Coetzee shouldn't be risked either.

So straight away the pack looks like it could change a lot.

Hmmmm. This is Scarlets. Can't rest too many - we'll lose. Definitely think you're right about Coetzee and Moore, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Wales play this weekend so they will lose all their Welsh players.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ulster beat Clermont Auvergne...there is nothing forgettable about that at all.

Other than McCloskey which other key players struggled?

I don't get the negativity. That was a potentially pool defining victory, personally I'm delighted.

Right a great win! Ulster are a tough out.
    I think Addison was a mixed bag as was Marshall. The pick of the backline for me was Ludik.
    In the pack, I thought E.O.S struggled in the scrum.
    Otherwise, it was a very good performance.
    Well done Ulster.

damianmcr wrote: »
    Wales play this weekend so they will lose all their Welsh players.

Ah. The Barbarians. Forgotten about that.

• Advertisement

Right a great win! Ulster are a tough out.
    I think Addison was a mixed bag as was Marshall. The pick of the backline for me was Ludik.
    In the pack, I thought E.O.S struggled in the scrum.
    Otherwise, it was a very good performance.
    Well done Ulster.

Overall I thought Addison played well. He has a habit of throwing an offload which isn't on and that is frustrating. Other than that I thought he went well.

Advertisement