Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

It's not in Ireland or on an international site, but I'll pm you the link if interested. It's 1300€ actually

Would you mind sending me link too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,773 ✭✭✭893bet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Report and block is my usual course of action in this case, or ‘accept’ the higher amount. :)

893bet wrote: »

Buyers market. He’s playing the field

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭This is it

*thumbs up*

:D

• Advertisement

adam88 wrote: »
    Buyers market. He’s playing the field

He may aswell be playing with himself.

He may aswell be playing with himself.

I hear ya but sometimes a lowball gets it. My last car I bought I wasn’t too gone in for the money he was asking. Through him a low offer, he initially refused it but rang me following day and accepted it. It was a bargain for that price. Value of an item isn’t set in stone, It’s what someone is willing to pay for it. Just look at the price of housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,919 ✭✭✭✭unkel

+1

I've had plenty of low ball offers accepted (or accepted after a slight further increase) and I have also sold stuff for well under the minimum price I was going to let them go for. What something sells for is a function of demand and supply. Much more so than just an asking price or indeed, an offer.

If a lowball offer was accepted then that shows the item was far over priced in the first place.

We know that’s not the case here and the seller has stated he doesn’t want offers. Chances of an offer of 40% being accepted. Zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭micks_address

If a lowball offer was accepted then that shows the item was far over priced in the first place.

We know that’s not the case here and the seller has stated he doesn’t want offers. Chances of an offer of 40% being accepted. Zero.

Depends on if someone needs the money in a hurry.. not really normal times at the moment.. suppose say someone lost their income and needed to raise cash asap they might sell well below expected but I wouldn't expect 1 3rd of a pretty desirable item

• Advertisement

Where is fitzgeme with his meme for people buying when the “bubl burst” ��

A few low ballers in here clearly! Seller is clearly not a desperate one.

It’s not a bad thing or something to be shamed for. I’m going low balling a house this week or next. If he accepts that’s great. If not,,,,,, no big drama

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

adam88 wrote: »
    It’s not a bad thing or something to be shamed for. I’m going low balling a house this week or next. If he accepts that’s great. If not,,,,,, no big drama
    Someone once told me if you're not embarrassed by the first offer you make for a house it is too high

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

My rule of thumb is if someone is offering far below trade in prices then they're clearly not serious about negotiating properly on pricing. See it so often with 2nd hand phones that's I'm selling once I've upgraded "what about 200?"...erm CEX would be offering me 350 straight so why would I possibly entertain 200? If the aim is to negotiate to 360 then start there and maybe I like you I'll sell at small difference to trade-in prices. I'm not going to waste my time haggling just for a €10 premium over trade in prices. And the person who starts at 200 in my experience has no intention of offering 400.

Same thing with jewellery - people offering lower prices than melt value of gold for jewellery...like - what's the point? If they do agree I'd be checking that the necklace really is 18ct etc.

Yeah CEX is great to give you a benchmark for a phone. Why accept much less on adverts while you can just drop in to your nearest big shopping mall and drop the phone in for instant cash? Unfortunately we don't have that for watches. Well we do, if you go into a jeweller or a pawn shop you will likely get cash for your watch depending on what it is. Probably even less than from a lowballer on adverts though :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I am all for offers, but it has to start from a good base. 3k for a moon-watch "asking" is not terrible although its not the big box version. A good lowball would be 2k. That shows intent. 1150 is too far apart and is a derisory offer. I would not negotiate from that level, or even be seen to accept a PM for an actual negotiation. Anyone that would devalue the watch so much put no value in it and is not worth the time to talk to.

On this house the poster is offering on will he start at 1/3 of the asking price? Probably not.

I understand that buyers are all giddy with excitement that suddenly their longines money is speedmaster money, and that "sure these guys are stressed to feck" and will go for whatever few sheckles I am willing to throw at them, but unfortunately thats not the case. There will be bargains to be had but reasonable bargains. Watches worth having will be watches worth selling. By all means fire in your low balls, but I find unless you act to move to a reasonable price quickly somebody with deeper pockets will gazump up and hoover up the bargain if its there to be had..

unkel wrote: »
    Yeah CEX is great to give you a benchmark for a phone. Why accept much less on adverts while you can just drop in to your nearest big shopping mall and drop the phone in for instant cash? Unfortunately we don't have that for watches. Well we do, if you go into a jeweller or a pawn shop you will likely get cash for your watch depending on what it is. Probably even less than from a lowballer on adverts though :pac:

I think even a jeweller's will give more than 1000 euro for a speedmaster :D

I guess watchfinder would the watch equivalent of CEX for basic "lowest floor" on offers. Unless the seller is out to bamboozle the buyer with a less than honest piece (meaning something is broken and not disclosed etc. I don't mean fake) I don't see how someone would accept less than watchfinder.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Fitz has encouraged me to haggle with my dentist 🦷 over the cost of bridge treatment work that I need to get done.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Fitz has encouraged me to haggle with my dentist �� over the cost of bridge treatment work that I need to get done.

Legal fact for the day - the prices displayed in supermarkets are not set but merely an "invitation to treat" - technically you can walk up to the checkout counter and negotiate every single item and the price - bag of peas - "I'll give you 15c for that" :D:D:D - imagine if it was like adverts - "I'll give you 7c and a sock to trade?" "9c and I can pay in cash today" :pac:

Fitz has encouraged me to haggle with my dentist 🦷 over the cost of bridge treatment work that I need to get done.

Believe it or not I haggled with a leading private hospital to waive my excess in return of getting the business. It worked and they didn’t charge me the excess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭micks_address

I did haggle over the cost of a root canal few years ago. Dentist wasn't impressed but did give me 50 euro off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,742 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

unkel wrote: »

not the case just now as they arent taking stock but ive sold probably 10 watches to watchfinder so there is a reference point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭This is it

For anyone that owned the Tag Gulf

https://www.tagheuer.com/us/en/timepieces/collections/tag-heuer-formula-1/43-mm-quartz/CAZ101N.FC8243.html

We're there any issues with the strap? Having read a few reviews a few people were disappointed with the strap and how they deteriorated quite quickly with some saying it snapped at the lug (?). I mean, I presume it's high quality leather and would only deteriorate the same as any other decent watch?

Really want to get this but it's not often I'd be shelling out in and around a grand, or more if new, for something I don't actually need :D

Fitz has encouraged me to haggle with my dentist �� over the cost of bridge treatment work that I need to get done.

People haggle with me all the time, I also discount for big jobs all the time. If you have a job worth my while I can generally come to an arrangement. This is how all business is done, I know my margins and my scale economies. If somebody come to me and wants to haggle on the smallest job I do (usually the most aggressive hagglers are the ones spending the least amounts), I couldn't be bothered, the next person in will pay full whack and my time is not a renewable resource. Its exactly the same with watches. If you are a serious customer in a position to drop proper dosh on something quality we can talk. If you not even in the game then my time is better spend discussing it with somebody that is. In order to effectively haggle you must first give me the impression you are more than a window shopper. Window shoppers make themselves know cause they know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

I hope I get as many likes

In order to effectively haggle you must first give me the impression you are more than a window shopper.

The golden rule of effective negotiation as a buyer. You must be ready to do the deal there and then and you must convince the seller of this. Once that is done, you'll be surprised how good a deal you can sometimes get.

Cyrus wrote: »
    not the case just now as they arent taking stock but ive sold probably 10 watches to watchfinder so there is a reference point.

I have sold a couple to watchfinder and they are low, but I wouldnt class them as lowballers. They are lower than you might like but they are not offering insulting amounts for quality watches and they do offer a route to avoid the mouth-breathers on adverts.

See the news of Rolex, PP, Chanel et. al. leaving Baselworld and setting up their own show? I know nothing about these trade shows but Rolex apparently have been at Baselworld from the beginning(?) or at least since 1939. A big change if they're off to make their own show now...

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Thirdfox wrote: »
    See the news of Rolex, PP, Chanel et. al. leaving Baselworld and setting up their own show? I know nothing about these trade shows but Rolex apparently have been at Baselworld from the beginning(?) or at least since 1939. A big change if they're off to make their own show now...

It'll be the end of Baselworld. Swatch group left last year and now Rolex, PP etc.. theres no big names left that would be able to keep BW alive. I don't like that the new show wont have a consumer aspect to it though.

Baselworld is pretty irrelevant these days anyway. Reading the exit announcement
    it seems there was a bit of bad blood between Rolex/patek vs the organisers.

• Advertisement

Time wrote: »
    It'll be the end of Baselworld. Swatch group left last year and now Rolex, PP etc.. theres no big names left that would be able to keep BW alive. I don't like that the new show wont have a consumer aspect to it though.

Oh consumers are invited... just the VVVIPs apparently :P

And hey that's up to them if they want to shift further up market - it's why microbrands and budget Swiss exist to cater for the sub-€500 buyers :D

@893 - yeah, in the age of Trump that statement seems like nothing but actually it was pretty forceful for a normal company to come out with "being disappointed", "lack of engagement" etc. - that's Trump equivalent to "fire and fury unlike anything you have ever seen" :pac:

Advertisement