Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

893bet wrote: »
    Baselworld is pretty irrelevant these days anyway. Reading the exit announcement
    it seems there was a bit of bad blood between Rolex/patek vs the organisers.

Was it really irrelevant? It's where the major brands announced and previewed their upcoming releases.

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

• Registered Users Posts: 8,778 ✭✭✭893bet

Time wrote: »
    Was it really irrelevant? It's where the major brands announced and previewed their upcoming releases.

These days they would be better off releasing those on tik tok.

These days they would be better off releasing those on tik tok.

:eek: Oh how the mighty have fallen, or else i'm very out of touch (and i'm only 32!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

:eek: Oh how the mighty have fallen, or else i'm very out of touch (and i'm only 32!)

32 - that's definitely over the hill - need to change the username to old-timer now :P

But yes - looking at how people seem to be marketing microbrands especially it's mainly out on instagram (for the younger people) and facebook for the middle-aged. Having a website definitely seemed optional - a lot of companies are running everything from facebook it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Ryath

Need a new beater my Casio MWR is now in the middle of my laurel hedging or in a big pile of branches. Spring bar had popped out a few weeks ago when I was doing some work wasn't damaged but it is pretty light.

Ah well at least it wasn't one of my dearer watches so it did it's job. I'll probably just order another. I did really like it for a watch that cost me just €18!

509860.jpg

@Unkel - what would you have been willing to pay for the explorer on adverts?

40% of asking as an opening bid..............I joke based on the speedmaster (that’s wasnt overpriced) I posted the other day and people defended some random tossers lowball.

Now below is a chap where a 40 % opening offer is appropriate as he is at least 1500 over priced.

https://www.adverts.ie/20157530

• Registered Users Posts: 64,925 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Brand new with your name on the card from Weir's EUR6,250, they let any randomer (like me) on the waiting list and the waiting time is likely only a few months, but no guarantees.

What would I pay, second hand, with some scratches? Nothing near the asking price of EUR6,280. That's for sure :p

unkel wrote: »
    What would I pay, second hand, with some scratches? Nothing near the asking price of EUR6,280. That's for sure :p

Haha, fair enough.

• Advertisement

I don't really believe in the hype that some Rolex watches sell second hand, worn and with scratches, for a lot more than brand new. Fair enough if you have the cash and you are impatient and you must have instant gratification, go ahead and buy one.

I wouldn't do that though. Patience is not my forte, but I just can't justify buying something that's poor value for money. So I will wait and buy one that's good value second hand (might never happen), or I'll bite the bullet and buy brand new from an AD. Or I will just happily keep wearing my EUR195 Seiko Turtle for another year or two :)

If I come across a post 2015 214270 for around the EUR5k mark, I might bite though. It will probably not happen, and even if it did, I wouldn't consider it one of the better bargains I ever got. Probably not even in the top 100 :p

I don't really believe in the hype that some Rolex watches sell second hand, worn and with scratches, for a lot more than brand new. Fair enough if you have the cash and you are impatient and you must have instant gratification, go ahead and buy one.

If I come across a post 2015 214270 for around the EUR5k mark, I might bite though. It will probably not happen, and even if it did, I wouldn't consider it one of the better bargains I ever got. Probably not even in the top 100 :p

Totally agree with you on that, their value is based on people not wanting to wait rather than genuine scarcity, for any non vintage models.

Cheapest post 2015 full set on C24 is 5800 so a direct deal would still be over 5k. I’d be tempted to just buy new myself tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Anyone and idea of shipping time from Russia?

I've a watching coming that has been sitting in Шарапово in "Released by custom house" status for over a week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

oxocube wrote: »

I've a watching coming that has been sitting in Шарапово in "Released by custom house" status for over a week :(

Have you googled the carrier followed by the status?

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

oxocube wrote: »

Ordered from Russia twice and it was slow on both occassions, from memory it was 2-3 weeks but well before covid19 restrictions.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I'm waiting 4 weeks for a package from the states, I could depress you with a link to the Russian watch page on WUS. A poster there said the Russian post office get a shipping container for all the airmail post. When it's full they send the container by sea.

I don't think our post office is working up to full speed either. Few stories of packages with tracking from UK taking a week to arrive after getting here.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113217385

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

So basically, you'll have it by Christmas. I know your pain. I've something coming from Japan. By sea.

2015 blnr on TZ for 9.5k.

Big softening on these. Cheapest they have been for 2 years easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭This is it

Had never watched a watch modification video before, or any watch video to be honest! Incredibly interesting. Very cool to see the inner workings and how it's put together.

https://youtu.be/5UEjFZutgU8

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

• Advertisement

Big softening on these. Cheapest they have been for 2 years easily.

Just seen that. Its a peach of a BLRN as well. Not a mark on it.

9.5k what?

If EUR9.5k, that's only a tiny bit more than RRP. If GBP, that's still a lot (EUR10.9k). Cheapest on chrono24 is still EUR10.5k

Presuming you meant EUR9.5k, then do we expect this to be the delayed start of a serious drop in value in higher end watches? The stock market has lost about 25% in value over COVID-19

9.5k what?

If EUR9.5k, that's only a tiny bit more than RRP. If GBP, that's still a lot (EUR10.9k). Cheapest on chrono24 is still EUR10.5k

Presuming you meant EUR9.5k, then do we expect this to be the delayed start of a serious drop in value in higher end watches? The stock market has lost about 25% in value over COVID-19

9.5 K Sterling. These were 12k last summer.

There is downward pressure on all watches no doubt. Some have further “fat” in the price to fall more than others. Who knows what will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,745 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

9.5 K Sterling. These were 12k last summer.

There is downward pressure on all watches no doubt. Some have further “fat” in the price to fall more than others. Who knows what will happen.

id say £12 - 9.5k is a serious drop

never got the BLNR premium to be honest

Cyrus wrote: »

Says the hulk owner :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

blue5000 wrote: »

I don't think our post office is working up to full speed either. Few stories of packages with tracking from UK taking a week to arrive after getting here.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113217385
    Yup. Local to Ireland deliveries seem unaffected, but overseas seem to be sitting here for a while. Have a package from France that landed here on Monday, but not out for delivery yet.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

So the story seems, don't hold your breath. It will get here eventually :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Cyrus wrote: »
    id say £12 - 9.5k is a serious drop

The BNLR is a lovely watch. The supercase is a bit much for me height wise, but the colour scheme is iconic. Problem with so many years of stupid high prices for it, flipping, waiting lists and AD smugness it has become a source of anger in the community and lost some of its well deserved cudos. It was boxing above its weight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Personally I preferred the all black ceramic GMT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I've never looked at Rolexs myself but are explorers (1 or 2) much cheaper than all the other models people are mentioning? I see on the watch corners on Reddit that there are explorers on sale for 5k usd and explorer 2 (the gmt one) for sale at 6.5k usd - compared to the prices above those seem pretty low?

Advertisement