Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭micks_address

Eoin wrote: »
    Confession time - I never flew a plane when I had a pilot watch. nor worked with strong magnetic fields when I had a Milgauss.

You've been living a lie all this time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

You've been living a lie all this time :)

I can get my watches wet without going diving....I dont think lads are washing their hands well round here :D

As for a sprint bar going....if your using a nato you need to make sure you are using a flange-less springbar, some cases of Nato/Zulu putting more pressure on the flanged springbars and both letting go, having said that I cannot remember a springbar going on a watch of mine in 30 years.

Nothing against natos....have a bunch of em...just hate the feeling of wet one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Anyone got a Steinhart One Vintage Military (OVM) 42mm. who can tell me how it wears etc.? I know there's lots of YouTube videos but would like an honest opinion from a genuine watch owner.

Thinking of getting one. I know I said I wouldn't buy another watch for 12 months but I'm going to change that to buy only one per year.
    This may be my 2020 watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

They wear big, especially with the lugs. I've owned a few of their 42mm divers over the years and can dig out some pics on the wrist if that helps

Anyone got a Steinhart One Vintage Military (OVM) 42mm. who can tell me how it wears etc.? I know there's lots of YouTube videos but would like an honest opinion from a genuine watch owner.

Thinking of getting one. I know I said I wouldn't buy another watch for 12 months but I'm going to change that to buy only one per year.

I owned a OVM red and sold it (https://www.adverts.ie/sports/steinhart-ocean-one-vintage-red/15645370). It wear pretty big, and I have a chunky enough wrist.s a tall watch too and impinged on the flesh on the back of my hand when I flexed my wrist. Thing with Stienhart is they always sell on for good money so its a low cost to test it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Big and heavy.
    I found they moved around my wrist to much due to the weight. I've owned 2 over the years. I now have a 39mm and find it fits and sits much better on my wrist.

You could pick up a pre owned on adverts and see if you gel with it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

How big are your wrists? Mine are 7 1/2 inch. Lugs are long and straight on them so how it fits depends on the shape of your wrists. Mrs has borrowed mine and she wears the bracelet. Pic 1 is of my wrist on a NATO before it went on loan.
    511111.jpg
    2nd pic is my son's wrist. I think he was 12 when the photo was taken.

511112.jpg

I reckon the bracelet probably suits it better. Great value watch IMHO.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭893bet

Son has bigger wrists than most on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Yeah got 7.5" wrist so think it would work ok. Probably keep it on the bracelet . OTOH I could go for the 39mms sub homage. Decisions,decisions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

blue5000 wrote: »
    Great value watch IMHO.
    +1 and as coincidence would have it; earlier this very day I was in a garage and noticed the guy in front of me in the queue was wearing one. I put the talk on him and he was telling me he loved it. The lad behind the counter had a fancy looking Seiko diver and he got involved. Turned out he has 6 or 7 watches. One of the very few times that kinda thing with watches has ever happened to me. When I was asked about my watch, a 40's issued German army job*, the lad behind the counter who turned out to be Polish, went "oh oh". :D

I'm still surprised Rolex haven't brought out a MilSub edition. I reckon it would sell like hotcakes.
    893bet wrote: »
    Son has bigger wrists than most on here!
    :D Well he probably has bigger wrists than me anyway. I think I'm around 6.5 inches in old money. Though it does mean I can get away with the vintage stuff, that could look kinda odd on a normal bloke's wrist these days. I've nabbed a few vintage straps and bracelets down the years, from the 19 teens to the 70's and whereas with new normal sized straps of today I'm either on the last adjustment or need to break out the tools to add buckle holes, on the early stuff I'm in the mid adjustment. Shows how men have gotten bigger. I don't mean fatter either, we're literally bigger boned these days. More nutrients in the diet, more protein, generally better health seems to be the thing. I remember reading a study into medieval body sizes and the rich were almost a different species back then. They ate far more protein so were bigger and taller and literally lorded over the peasant folks who didn't have access to such foods. Mad.

*turns out it's become my CovidWatch(tm). Small, don't notice I'm wearing it, hides under the cuff, stainless steel inc 1940's bracelet so can be wiped down with hand sanitiser, and since I replaced the original lead(yep) gaskets with rubber, fairly water resistant with it. I wouldn't go swimming wearing it, but I can't swim so there's that. :D Gains around 30 seconds per week, so won't worry a Harrison chronometer, but it is consistent, so with a service might be dialled in more. Even glows like Chernobyl since I replaced the radium with Seiko lume. That Seiko lume is the puppy's privates.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

hey guys, i have a query on couriers. I am considering sending my seamaster to the UK for a bracelet refurb and polish. Would DHL collect a package at my house in dublin, deliver to the UK and pick back up from the business in the UK and deliver back? The owner is reluctant to post outside the uk and doesnt have a courier service close to him..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭banie01

hey guys, i have a query on couriers. I am considering sending my seamaster to the UK for a bracelet refurb and polish. Would DHL collect a package at my house in dublin, deliver to the UK and pick back up from the business in the UK and deliver back? The owner is reluctant to post outside the uk and doesnt have a courier service close to him..

Would sending and receiving the return via parcelMotel be an option Mick?

DHL only do business pickups AFAIK, whereas with PM you can print the label send it via your nearest PM locker and the guy doing the work can use whatever courier he usually runs with to send it back to you via PM's NI address.

banie01 wrote: »
    Would sending and receiving the return via parcelMotel be an option Mick?

DHL only do business pickups AFAIK, whereas with PM you can print the label send it via your nearest PM locker and the guy doing the work can use whatever courier he usually runs with to send it back to you via PM's NI address.

The only concern id have with parcel motel is insurance..not worth a fortune but not sure what they cover. I'll look into it alright

Go local, its helps local business and you dont need to worry about postage.

The only concern id have with parcel motel is insurance..not worth a fortune but not sure what they cover. I'll look into it alright

Just to follow up here it looks like you can use extended liability with parcel motel up to 1500 euro

https://parcelmotel.com/extend-liability/

I would be concerned that the covid thing takes a turn for the worse and the watch gets stuck in the UK. I would wait til this whole thing blows over.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Just to follow up here it looks like you can use extended liability with parcel motel up to 1500 euro

https://parcelmotel.com/extend-liability/

I've bought that, but I think the T&Cs exclude watches (only realised after the fact). It's surprisingly hard to find a courier who will take a watch fully insured for a reasonable price.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I would be concerned that the covid thing takes a turn for the worse and the watch gets stuck in the UK. I would wait til this whole thing blows over.
    Same here. I'm awaiting something coming from France(not a watch). Posted on the 8th, left France for here on the 14th, still no sign of it at my end, or the tracking showing up with An Post.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,058 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yep, loads of stuff on the way from China (not watches) and a lot of it is sitting somewhere in Ireland. Problem is definitely over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Same boat here with regards waiting on delivery from overseas.

Have about 12items that are in transit since March.
    A lot of stuff has been dispatched, scanned outbound and onto the plane then just hanging in the ether.

Not too bothered by it as there is far more important stuff in transit PPE wise for frontline and vulnerable folk(not me ;) )

National health and safety should be and is being prioritized.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

unkel wrote: »
    Yep, loads of stuff on the way from China (not watches) and a lot of it is sitting somewhere in Ireland. Problem is definitely over here.

I've a couple of items sitting in DHL in Athlone since Friday. Tracking says we're busy, get to you in 5 working days.

oxocube wrote: »
    I've a couple of items sitting in DHL in Athlone since Friday. Tracking says we're busy, get to you in 5 working days.

My Omega came from Hungary in one day last week..posted Monday arrived Tuesday..DHL Express..was well impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭redlead

The stealth Casioak GA-2100-1A1ER is back in stock on g-shock.co.uk/ if anyone was ever trying to get one. They have been very difficult get.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Hi Folks,

Could anyone advise how much I'd expect to pay to replace/fix the crown in a Tag Heuer Aquaracer?
    I enquired in a repair place in Blanchardstown SC just before we went on lockdown, and the guy said around €200. Would this be accurate?

I've only had the watch about 8 years, and in that time it's absolutely broken my heart!! (only been able to wear it for about 3 of those 8 years).

About 2 years after getting it, I cracked the glass face after 'glancing' it off a ceramic door handle in my kitchen. I sent it to Tag repair in England, and as part of the glass replacement, they said it would also need a full service (would this be true?), and all in it cost me the guts of £600 for the repair/service.
    Then about a year after getting it back, it became harder and harder to lock in the crown. It must have been cross threaded, and eventually all the threads gave way and it just won't engage/lock at all now, so it's been collecting dust for the last few years.
    I'd occasionally wear it for dress purposes as it is, but really, I need it fully functional (and sealed) for going sailing, so need it repaired!

Any advice much appreciated. Is it even something I could do myself? Does the whole crown need replacing, or is the threaded shaft a separate piece?

I got quoted 280 for a service incl a new stem for a vintage watch, what was included in your quote of 200? Very happy with a recent service done by Alan Tully in Loughrea. Maybe shop around for more quotes.

you could try watchfix.ie?
    Hi Folks,

Could anyone advise how much I'd expect to pay to replace/fix the crown in a Tag Heuer Aquaracer?
    I enquired in a repair place in Blanchardstown SC just before we went on lockdown, and the guy said around €200. Would this be accurate?

I've only had the watch about 8 years, and in that time it's absolutely broken my heart!! (only been able to wear it for about 3 of those 8 years).

About 2 years after getting it, I cracked the glass face after 'glancing' it off a ceramic door handle in my kitchen. I sent it to Tag repair in England, and as part of the glass replacement, they said it would also need a full service (would this be true?), and all in it cost me the guts of £600 for the repair/service.
    Then about a year after getting it back, it became harder and harder to lock in the crown. It must have been cross threaded, and eventually all the threads gave way and it just won't engage/lock at all now, so it's been collecting dust for the last few years.
    I'd occasionally wear it for dress purposes as it is, but really, I need it fully functional (and sealed) for going sailing, so need it repaired!

Any advice much appreciated. Is it even something I could do myself? Does the whole crown need replacing, or is the threaded shaft a separate piece?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭893bet

blue5000 wrote: »
    I got quoted 280 for a service incl a new stem for a vintage watch, what was included in your quote of 200? Very happy with a recent service done by Alan Tully in Loughrea. Maybe shop around for more quotes.

Has he a website?

893bet wrote: »
    Has he a website?

http://www.tullywatchrepair.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Had anyone sold anything on adverts recently? Just wondering if I should hold off till after the lockdown if it's quiet. I think I know the answer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Whats on the chopping block?

Advertisement