Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

893bet wrote: »
    It ain’t going to sell for close to that.

I lolled hard at the lower price to go to PM. Talk about inviting tyrekickers and sob stories.

Its some way to avoid paying adverts fees.

Listed as €15 now. He has turned down a €12,000 offer. I got a funny feeling this one wont be selling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Its some way to avoid paying adverts fees.

Listed as €15 now. He has turned down a €12,000 offer. I got a funny feeling this one wont be selling.

its like a masterclass in how to not sell a watch...and remember to SHOUT AT EVERYONE MAKING YOU OFFERS

• Registered Users Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I really like the look of the iwc too gun...they are expensive though..

i had a top gun for a while and id buy another,

very cool watch and the ceramic suits the pilot style

its like a masterclass in how to not sell a watch...and remember to SHOUT AT EVERYONE MAKING YOU OFFERS

hulk isnt going to sell for 15k any time soon i wouldnt have thought

Hey I am into the weird watches myself, its just my weird watches never seem to reach such levels of desirability. Hulks are a very vibrant colour in some lights.

Here is a good enough deal for a nice ICW, a little negoiation and thats a winner.

https://www.adverts.ie/casual/iwc-pilot-mark-xvi/19649939

Colour does change about a lot it rarely looks as green on as the pics suggest

NPN7wfH.jpg

Eh9QNSr.jpg

YskTEN8.jpg

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »

Nah its a total sh1ttter, I will give you 9k for it :D

Nah its a total sh1ttter, I will give you 9k for it :D

:(

on the plus side s/s daytona prices are on the slide

youd think id have hung onto the late 116520 i got at retail if i wanted on so bad :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭893bet

NPN7wfH.jEh9QNSYskT

Middle picture by far my favourite! The green dial is too green. Prefer the “kermit”.

:(

on the plus side s/s daytona prices are on the slide

youd think id have hung onto the late 116520 i got at retail if i wanted on so bad :rolleyes:

You didnt like that daytona...too small wasnt it, and I kinda get that? Its funny what people like and dont like. Sometimes I convince myself I like something when I dont really. Sometimes I like a watch because I am "supposed to" when really I dont. All these double retail Rolex watches are going to have some hard times in the coming months but thats fair to be honest, but so long as rolex dont release a whole bunch at retail they will probably still trade over RRP. The big watch grey and second hand retailers I would say will buy nothing and not flood the market trying to maintain values for a while.

You didnt like that daytona...too small wasnt it, and I kinda get that? Its funny what people like and dont like. Sometimes I convince myself I like something when I dont really. Sometimes I like a watch because I am "supposed to" when really I dont. All these double retail Rolex watches are going to have some hard times in the coming months but thats fair to be honest, but so long as rolex dont release a whole bunch at retail they will probably still trade over RRP. The big watch grey and second hand retailers I would say will buy nothing and not flood the market trying to maintain values for a while.

yes found it a little small, but as time goes on tastes change, my biggest watches now are 40mm sports rolexes.

i think you are right, WF arent buying at all now, but that should depress the private market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Screenshot-20200409-134652-Instagram.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

^^^^ Sh1t only 12 watches and she's beatin the head off him. I'd say there must be something else wrong there, maybe he forgot to load the dishwasher as well.:(

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

Any tips on how to sell a watch nowadays. Breitling chronoliner thst I bough on a whim and regretting it now

adam88 wrote: »
    Any tips on how to sell a watch nowadays. Breitling chronoliner thst I bough on a whim and regretting it now

Take some good pictures. Find some links on chrono to ones the same for sale. Give all the proper info re box, papers, condition. But most of all put a REALISTIC price on it and expect to sell for less than that. Be patient and polite with buyers and dont assume everyone that puts in a low ball is a messer and any interest is increasing the ranking of your ad. That watch will see you a big loss no way round it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

As fitzgeme said above. Also get a feel for the 2nd hand market value. Decide an absolute lowest you'll take and then take another 10%-20% off that again. That's your real figure.

Check here https://www.chrono24.com/breitling/chronoliner--mod1681.htm#gref

Eg, watch RRP €5000, you paid €4250, 2nd hand market has them from €1850-3000 and you feel yours is worth €2500 then you absolute minimum is around €2k. Nobody buying will care that they are €5k new or that you paid €4250 12 months ago.

Also look to sell abroad, Ireland is a small enough and overpriced market.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭893bet

adam88 wrote: »

If you bought new and didn’t get a decent discount then best thing you can do is prepare your anus.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

The big watch grey and second hand retailers I would say will buy nothing and not flood the market trying to maintain values for a while.

The question is how long can they hold for before offloading stock? The smaller dealers don’t have backers like Richemont, they’ll have bills to pay and will have to start lowering prices soon enough, then WF will have to lower their prices too if they want to make sales

Time wrote: »
    The question is how long can they hold for before offloading stock? The smaller dealers don’t have backers like Richemont, they’ll have bills to pay and will have to start lowering prices soon enough, then WF will have to lower their prices too if they want to make sales

you would be surprised, with so little outgoings, cheap credit and government subsidies I would say they can hold out for a long time. My guess is they can hold out a lot longer than most buyers can. Everyone is on pause its unprecedented, and while buyers would love to think its their market for a change, its not, and the truth is it never is. If you have ever had a dealer give you a quote on a watch you know they have a lot of room on watches. The fact is that chaps are all still drooling over the same 6 models they always were. Its been a so called "buyers market" in every watch except for stainless Rolex, one model of AP and two patek models for nearly 2 years now and the prices didnt move that much in that time. The markets and currency is recovering this week as normality sets in.

There will be bargains, but not from dealers, they are professionals and know when to hold em, and when to fold em.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

16qw39.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

you would be surprised, with so little outgoings, cheap credit and government subsidies I would say they can hold out for a long time. My guess is they can hold out a lot longer than most buyers can. Everyone is on pause its unprecedented, and while buyers would love to think its their market for a change, its not, and the truth is it never is. If you have ever had a dealer give you a quote on a watch you know they have a lot of room on watches. The fact is that chaps are all still drooling over the same 6 models they always were. Its been a so called "buyers market" in every watch except for stainless Rolex, one model of AP and two patek models for nearly 2 years now and the prices didnt move that much in that time. The markets and currency is recovering this week as normality sets in.

There will be bargains, but not from dealers, they are professionals and know when to hold em, and when to fold em.

Their overheads are low for sure, but some of the bigger dealers would have their whole business built on debt. How long do you think they'll keep the banks from the door for? It's the guys doing it as a side that i think will be better placed to hold onto what they have. I agree about the demand for certain pieces, if a nautilus dropped 15k there'd be plenty of buyers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Lads, I just want a (relatively) cheap Milguass if the arse falls out of the market. Is that too much to ask for?

Time wrote: »
    Their overheads are low for sure, but some of the bigger dealers would have their whole business built on debt. How long do you think they'll keep the banks from the door for? It's the guys doing it as a side that i think will be better placed to hold onto what they have. I agree about the demand for certain pieces, if a nautilus dropped 15k there'd be plenty of buyers.

The banks are not asking for interest or repayments at the moment, and even if they were these business would just not pay. It would be ages before they could call in the debt, and even then why would be bank take away a businesses ability to repay it debt? You are applying normal logic where a business is failing while everyone around them is not. When everyone is failing...nobody is. Smaller guys might need to offload a piece of two to cover costs, but they are not going to suddenly offload all their entire inventory. Mostly prefered clients will get these deals if there are there to be had. I would look on the private sellers forums carefully, somebody will panic and there will be a few good buys.

Hitemfrank....what would you consider a cheap milgauss? Which model? 4k, 5k, 6k?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

To be honest, on the price I don't really know. I've just convinced myself I want one recently so haven't done whole lot of research on the used market.

Probably the 116400GV but looking on Chrono24 there are a few nice options.

hitemfrank wrote: »

Probably the 116400GV but looking on Chrono24 there are a few nice options.

An excellent choice, and one of the few sports rolex that actually sells below RRP. It was floated that it would get discontinued this year but we wont know now. I have one myself and love it.

6.5k is a ok buy, 6k is a good buy and 5.5k is an excellent buy. I bought one twice once for 5.5k and once for 6.25k although the latter is a newer watch. Prices have risen slightly in the last year.

If one popped up for 5k I would be all over it, I could not see much below that, except maybe the white faced non GV model but that doesnt have the looks.

Very hard watch to replicate well, the glass is a tricky copy. Also the GV glass does not have an etched crown at the 6 oclock and a lot of copies forget to NOT have that feature. The double case design makes it very robust.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,788 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Starting at about €5.8k on Chrono24. Very good condition, from verified dealer in EU, but no box / papers. You expecting this might drop to below €5k over the next few months?

What's your expectation on a 214270, cheapest from EU about €5k now, verified dealer, box, papers. Mines 10% commission for chrono24. Makes my offer to that adverts seller who still has it for sale pretty generous. Your expected price in 3-6 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Have been playing through L.A. Noire recently (game set in the 1940s,detective solving cases) trying to keep me from looking at watches :D. In one of the cases, a Elgin watch box is a clue.

73yyWC3.jpg

Have seen loads of watches in movies,first time in a game apart from James Bond games as more of a gadget. Elgin Watch Company was founded in 1863 and ceased in 1968. Always find it interesting how 1 hobby can cross over to another.

CTM6U4I.jpg

UieHuV1.jpg

unkel wrote: »
    Starting at about €5.8k on Chrono24. Very good condition, from verified dealer in EU, but no box / papers. You expecting this might drop to below €5k over the next few months?

What's your expectation on a 214270, cheapest from EU about €5k now, verified dealer, box, papers. Mines 10% commission for chrono24. Makes my offer to that adverts seller who still has it for sale pretty generous. Your expected price in 3-6 months?

I dont know...with the worlds governments printing money, expect inflation to come back in a big way, todays prices might seem really cheap in a few years. In the short term I would say prices will be stagnant enough, maybe a few pannickers juming ship if your fast. That one on adverts you are just below what he is willing to sell it for and he is being patient waiting for somebody else or a trade deal to come along, if he put it up for what you offered him he would have 10 buyers in an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,788 ✭✭✭✭unkel

if he put it up for what you offered him he would have 10 buyers in an hour.

That's interesting. I offered EUR4700 a few months ago to a private seller. Which is more than a verified dealer on chrono24 would get net for a similar watch after commission is deducted

So high end watches are worth (a bit) more in Ireland than they are in other EU countries?

unkel wrote: »
    That's interesting. I offered EUR4700 a few months ago to a private seller. Which is more than a verified dealer on chrono24 would get net for a similar watch after commission is deducted

So high end watches are worth (a bit) more in Ireland than they are in other EU countries?

Cheapest I can find verified dealer in europe is this one https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/explorer--id13018437.htm which is a little over 5k net after chrono fees and no papers.

Average chrono price is over 6k, so you offered bottom end money. We all love to look at the lowest price on chrono when we are buying and the highest when we are selling :) Remember the chrono fees give both the buyer and seller protection so not wasted money.

They are worth no more or no less than what somebody is willing to buy it for or sell it for. He is offering a local watch and a well proven track record at a reasonable price with a reasonable profit for him. He is not a private seller that just wants out what he is into the watch. And from what you have said on the forums, you are more into the savage bargain than the easy transaction, which is fair enough, but you will work for it, and take more risk. I have seen the massive stock he keeps and really this represents nothing to him to hold until he can get the price he wants, or more likely use it in a trade to build his portfolio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

893bet wrote: »
    If you bought new and didn’t get a decent discount then best thing you can do is prepare your anus.

Anybody selling bleach?

Advertisement