Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Try that watch on first, its a big old quartz thing that would be an aquired taste. Try not to buy tag new if possible, I remember seeing a gulf on adverts for about 6-700 a while back. There is a quartz omega seamaster on adverts for 1500 asking at the moment a much better proposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

funkyouup wrote: »
    The 3rd one you linked is on chrono24 for under 1000 new, good few of them there, nicest of the 3 imo.

https://www.chrono24.com/tagheuer/formula-1-quarz-41mm--id12960028.htm

Just bought a Longines Conquest from someone here and in doing that I was thinking to go for something completely different for the next one. Tha ks for the link though,ooks a good price :)

Oh wow! I was looking at spending €1400/1500 for a new one. I hadn't thought of second hand till I bought one here that's in excellent condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

This is it wrote: »
    Just bought a Longines Conquest from someone here and in doing that I was thinking to go for something completely different for the next one. Tha ks for the link though,ooks a good price :)

My very first post on this forum a few years ago was asking what to buy with a Tag Heuer in mind. I've spent around 2000€ since but have a nice collection of Seiko, Longines and Omega different types of watches.

Bought a second hand Longines Hydroconquest Chrono After advice from here and only looking to offload it now to buy an Omega Speedmaster.

I was looking at a Tag Heuer Carrera about a year ago for 1600€ second hand - it was unworn and the seller had paid about 2500€ for it. He wouldn't flex on price and it is still for sale now for 1200€

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Made more progress in my playthrough of L.A. Noire, after finding the empty watch box,found the watch:D

RmdVOun.jpg

Reminded me of my Grandmothers watch that i have i never shared

zlwygTy.jpg

IhpDeFK.jpg

Q1BTlJB.jpg

Speaking of Ladies watches, Mrs Wibbs ???;):D

mavt26S.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

OmegaGene wrote: »
    The first one would be my choice and would have a better resale value, the other two are updated version of older models

The gulf should be picked up for around €850 with box and papers now, I sold mine for €900 a while ago

Wow that’s a really nice watch (first link). Anyone any idea where I can pick one up handy money

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

adam88 wrote: »
    Wow that’s a really nice watch (first link). Anyone any idea where I can pick one up handy money

BNIB, you should be able to negotiate a direct deal outside c24 for sub 1000

https://www.chrono24.com/tagheuer/formula-1-caz101nfc8243--id9112539.htm

I was all set to buy new but I'll keep an eye out for second hand now.

What's the craic with Chrono 24? Have many here used it? I presume I'm best off ordering from the EU to avoid VAT? Any other advice for buying from there or other suggested sites?

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

adam88 wrote: »
    My first expensive watch. Bought this in Vegas in the pawn shop where Pawn Stars is filmed. Probably made a little too much for it but I fell in love with it the minute I saw it. Don’t wear it often but when I do it always attracts attention

That is really cool,another case of hobbies crossing over. In November 2017 as I was sitting at at home in Dublin at 3am,frantically waiting for the auction to end for my Bell-Matic,my Mother was in Las Vegas in the Gold and Silver Pawn shop.

I always wanted to buy a watch from there,even asked them on Facebook what they had,was told of a "Thanksgiving Sale",also rang them,but hung up on me. Didn't have a smart phone with her and wasn't allowed to take pictures. Apparently the only watch near my budget was $600 Calvin Klein...... NO!

Also was looking at a Hamilton Khaki King in a shop called Tourneau [Link],but too expensive for me.

Worked out for the best as after I knew there was nothing of interest in Las Vegas and getting nowhere with an Omega for €250,that night is when I typed "Seiko Bell-Matic 27 Jewels" into Ebay and the rest was history.Some pictures of the "Unboxing" back in 2017 i never shared [Link]

My Mother also loving the show, didn't leave empty handed,brought me back some treats

xLDwHbR.jpg

sDbptFe.jpg

QLjW8nx.jpg

Y95EL10.jpg

T6SRxxz.jpg

Another shop she went to that features on the show was Toy Shack

6961064-2-4.jpg

Johnny Jimenez the owner is one if the expert's who comes in and looks over the Toys. She didn't see him or anyone in Pawn shop, believe they are rarely seen.When she was there she picked up this for me

qHRgHci.jpg

aQ4NzAB.jpg

Really cool from one of my favorite movies. Very unusual piece to make a model giving the obvious star car.Also getting back to watches,in the movie,Steve McQueen wears a really cool Benrus also used by the U.S Military [Link]

Steve-McQueen-on-the-set-of-Bullitt.jpg

Not related to watches,one of my favourite parts of the movie is when during the chase at the airport,Frank (McQueen) lying under a Boeing 707 as it takes off

LUsX3qh.jpg

My dream would be to get a chance to hear those 4 Pratt & Whitney JT3D engines spool up (Headphones are a must,volume max) https://youtu.be/OElCeEAzATk?t=585 One of the best sounds i ever heard,always puts a big smile on my face.Even had a mad idea to travel to Iran back in 2013 to go on the last passenger Boeing 707 Saha Air,have since been retired.Lovely PSA 727 also seen during the chase.

Heading back to watches, if anyone is interest in watches featured in movies there is a great site dedicated to it [Link],post some you spot or help identify ones already posted,here is 2 I added that haven't gone up yet,from the Pilot episode of Knight Rider "Knight of the Phoenix" [Pictures] and the movie The Lovely Bones (2009) [Pictures].

Apologize for rambling on too much and going off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Apologize for rambling on too much and going off topic.
    Well it is the chit chat thread so gues off topic is all good :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

I was all set to buy new but I'll keep an eye out for second hand now.

What's the craic with Chrono 24? Have many here used it? I presume I'm best off ordering from the EU to avoid VAT? Any other advice for buying from there or other suggested sites?

I actually bought a watch from the exact dealer that time shared above and would recommend them. They are a classic grey market dealer where they source from the AD after a sale. My Breitling warranty card which is electronic was activated by an AD in Spain a couple of days after my order. Post took a little longer than they said, it was about 2 weeks but apart from that a brand new box and papers watch for 1,400 under Irish retail in my case..... To be fair I'm presuming that no one pays full retail even in Ireland for a Breitling but still, a great saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

redlead wrote: »
    I actually bought a watch from the exact dealer that time shared above and would recommend them. They are a classic grey market dealer where they source from the AD after a sale. My Breitling warranty card which is electronic was activated by an AD in Spain a couple of days after my order. Post took a little longer than they said, it was about 2 weeks but apart from that a brand new box and papers watch for 1,400 under Irish retail in my case..... To be fair I'm presuming that no one pays full retail even in Ireland for a Breitling but still, a great saving.

Just to answer your original question by the way and there are others on here who would know a lot more than me but yeah buying in the EU is the smart thing to do otherwise it can be Russian Roulette with VAT(this includes places like Monaco and Switzerland etc when it comes to VAT because they are treated the same as EU). If you look at the website instead of mobile there is an EU option in the filter. The other thing I would say is make sure the dealer has been around a few years and has lots of positive reviews. That's as much due diligence as you can really do. A lot depends on how risk averse you are. Personally I'd be wary of a private sale from some lad in Belarus but that's probably just casual racism. Others would be wary of anything other than an AD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

What's the vat on a watch in ireland? 23% or 13%? I am non resident so can claim it back. If I do get home for summer that is..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

What's the vat on a watch in ireland? 23% or 13%? I am non resident so can claim it back. If I do get home for summer that is..

23% AFAICR, having non resident status can be great sometimes.

I used to save a fortune when I lived in the Canaries.
    Home 3/4 times a year and VAT claimed back on every little spent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I bought three watches off there - TZ-UK is normally my first port of call, but it can be hard to get people to ship outside the UK. All 3 transactions were smooth, but I've not read great things about their buyer protection. Perhaps it's improved since.

I googled reviews for the sellers - I went for ones with a brick & mortar presence, tried to see what their after sales service was like (turns out I had to return one that developed an issue, and they arranged and paid for the courier both ways).

Not familiar with too many other sites. I see Watchfinder mentioned a bit here, but their prices seem steep, and I got a derisory trade in offer from them (and sold it easily for over 50% more than their offer), so not sure what the appeal there is - maybe there's room for haggling / I was just trying to sell a less popular watch.

banie01 wrote: »
    23% AFAICR, having non resident status can be great sometimes.

I used to save a fortune when I lived in the Canaries.
    Home 3/4 times a year and VAT claimed back on every little spent.

Tell me about it.. I was home for Christmas and spent about a €2/3k on stuff and only found out I could have claimed the vat back after we came back. Was kicking myself. What is the best way to claim it in your experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Tell me about it.. I was home for Christmas and spent about a €2/3k on stuff and only found out I could have claimed the vat back after we came back. Was kicking myself. What is the best way to claim it in your experience?

Good overview of the scheme here.
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_to_ireland/tax_free_purchases_for_non_eu_travellers.html

Always carry your foreign issued I.D always be sure to ask for your cashback receipts and then hit the kiosk at the airport before you fly home.

Be sure to use a credit or debit card from your new "home" for the purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

banie01 wrote: »
    Good overview of the scheme here.
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_to_ireland/tax_free_purchases_for_non_eu_travellers.html

Always carry your foreign issued I.D always be sure to ask for your cashback receipts and then hit the kiosk at the airport before you fly home.

Be sure to use a credit or debit card from your new "home" for the purchases.

Non resident here too, I don’t fly direct from Dublin though, fly through Heathrow, is it still possible to claim tax back in the republic?

C0N0R wrote: »
    Non resident here too, I don’t fly direct from Dublin though, fly through Heathrow, is it still possible to claim tax back in the republic?

My reading of it that you need to have a through ticket. I normally fly via Frankfurt but on a through ticket. I may have just text my jeweler contact in Ireland... if I get something for the wife, maybe I can slip something for myself too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

My reading of it that you need to have a through ticket. I normally fly via Frankfurt but on a through ticket. I may have just text my jeweler contact in Ireland... if I get something for the wife, maybe I can slip something for myself too.

Yea I would be ticketed through, I do know one time I came back from Denmark through Heathrow and had no issues in Denmark claiming tax back. My only potential issue is I tend to use an Irish debit/credit card to avoid currency conversion.

On the last watch I bought I figured it was cheaper here (KSA) than buying at home and claiming the tax back.

• Advertisement

C0N0R wrote: »
    Yea I would be ticketed through, I do know one time I came back from Denmark through Heathrow and had no issues in Denmark claiming tax back. My only potential issue is I tend to use an Irish debit/credit card to avoid currency conversion.

On the last watch I bought I figured it was cheaper here (KSA) than buying at home and claiming the tax back.

Have you got Rivoli or a different retailer? They were doing a 50% voucher back offer here in Oman a few months ago. They have Omega, Longine, Tissot, Hamilton, Breitling and a few others bar Rolex.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

I know it’s each good their own and of course you can wear what you want but ...
    Are there guides of what straps go or don’t go with each watch type.
    For example. Does a rubber strap clash with a dress watch or could a Nato go with Pilot watch etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Anybody experiencing slow international post at present? I've heard of an envelope taking 2 weeks to get to the states that would normally take 4/5 days. I wonder is it all the on-line shopping people are doing?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

You can no longer send packages to the US due to coronavirus so it's not inconceivable that they have special precautions in place for packages arriving from there (though by all accounts I understand the virus can't survive on a package so I wonder if it's something else that is driving this policy).

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

I was looking at a Tag Heuer Carrera about a year ago for 1600€ second hand - it was unworn and the seller had paid about 2500€ for it. He wouldn't flex on price and it is still for sale now for 1200€

Got a link for this Carrera?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Thirdfox wrote: »
    You can no longer send packages to the US due to coronavirus so it's not inconceivable that they have special precautions in place for packages arriving from there (though by all accounts I understand the virus can't survive on a package so I wonder if it's something else that is driving this policy).

When did they stop? Looking at flightradar there's 4 cargo planes mid-Atlantic heading to Europe, as I type.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

https://www.anpost.com/Post-Parcels/Sending/Calculate-Postage - if trying to send a parcel to US a notice pops up saying that it has been suspended. Noticed this around a week ago. Doesn't mean the Americans have stopped sending us parcels though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

Thirdfox wrote: »
    https://www.anpost.com/Post-Parcels/Sending/Calculate-Postage - if trying to send a parcel to US a notice pops up saying that it has been suspended. Noticed this around a week ago. Doesn't mean the Americans have stopped sending us parcels though.

They stopped sometime last week. My wife went Wednesday to post something to her brother in Boston only a jiffy envelope and they wouldn't take. Only accepting letters

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

oxocube wrote: »
    Got a link for this Carrera?

It's not in Ireland or on an international site, but I'll pm you the link if interested. It's 1300€ actually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

It's not in Ireland or on an international site, but I'll pm you the link if interested. It's 1300€ actually

Advertisement