Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

blue5000 wrote: »
    Keeping the Seiko Sunday theme going, Irishplayer's bellmatic might like to see it's gmt brother

507549.jpg

:) Spencer Klein's latest video, Lovely watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Apologies if this was discussed before.
    Any opinions on Watchgang? I saw a review on Facebook yesterday and was very impressed by the watches the reviewer had received. Almost too good to be true!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

shutup wrote: »
    Apologies if this was discussed before.
    Any opinions on Watchgang? I saw a review on Facebook yesterday and was very impressed by the watches the reviewer had received. Almost too good to be true!

Plenty of threads on Reddit regarding watchgang and an interesting article here

Personally, I'd much rather sign up to a decent watch website such as TZ or watchuseek and follow their bargain threads. Even Reddit has r/watches and r/chinatime

You get to pick your own cheapo's there, rather than hope for a decent random pick.

If quantity over choice, or sometimes quality is what your after?
    It would seem watchgang and similar would be an option.

I'd rather either pick my own watch or buy a better one.

Yeah I agree. It’s not something I’m thinking of. However, the reviewer claims to have got €4500 worth of watches for €1200 paid. I was shocked at how many of the watches I liked.
    I’m wondering if everyone is sent the same watch or did they send him the best ones and pay for the review.
    I would definitely pay 1200 for the collection he received

Yeah I agree. It’s not something I’m thinking of. However, the reviewer claims to have got €4500 worth of watches for €1200 paid. I was shocked at how many of the watches I liked.
    I’m wondering if everyone is sent the same watch or did they send him the best ones and pay for the review.
    I would definitely pay 1200 for the collection he received

The reviews are paid for in most cases and I'd expect that any "known" reviewer gets a far more curated selection.

Getting a watch or service reviewed by anyone with a little bit of traction is an expensive thing to accomplish.
    As Thirdfox will attest when he was getting ready to send out a watch of his own design for review.

I'd put a lot less store in published advertorials, than I would in user reviews via watch sites and forums.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Watch gang will ship you a bunch of garbage with reported inflated RRP, wrapped in a veneer or faux horology and reverse snobbery. You will receive a watch so often that it satisfies the need for something new and gives you a seratonin hit, without you having to suffer the remorse of wasting money on something worthless, all at the same time they play the other side by dangling the chance to win a desirable luxury watch in front of you to keep you happy and hopeful and stop you thinking too much about the money you have wasted on junk. The cognitive dissonance is strong.

Its a classic scam, that plays on the predictable inexperienced collector mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

After 10 minutes of researching watch gang I can't believe anyone would actually sign up for it. Fitzgeme hit the nail on the head.

Research microbrands yourself and buy watches you pick yourself instead

I was expecting negative feedback. Which is absolutely fine if warranted. However, if it’s just typical negativity to show us you are too smart and nobody could con you it would be a bit unfair.
    Here are some recent Black Tier watches. So my question to anyone dismissing watch gang. Are these watches any good or are they actually cheap crap?
    Seiko • Prospex
    Black Tier
    Charles Hutton • GMT (Various colors)
    Black Tier
    Shield • Exley (Various SKUs)
    Black Tier
    Franck Dubarry • Revolution Intrepidus (Rider, Racer, Diver) (Various SKUs)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

banie01 wrote: »
    Getting a watch or service reviewed by anyone with a little bit of traction is an expensive thing to accomplish.
    As Thirdfox will attest when he was getting ready to send out a watch of his own design for review.

The big online blogs/sites do charge through the nose for advertorials but it's a business decision for people to make.

For smaller Youtube channels it's a lot murkier - I found that many "reviews" may be "paid reviews" - not necessarily expensive either but just something I didn't want to get involved in. In the end I still managed to line up 3 reviewers who were interested in reviewing for the cost of postage being paid when returning the watch so there definitely are genuine reviewers out there still.

And as to OP's question - I agree with fitzgeme - get what you want rather than "lucky dip".

I was expecting negative feedback. Which is absolutely fine if warranted. However, if it’s just typical negativity to show us you are too smart and nobody could con you it would be a bit unfair.
    Here are some recent Black Tier watches. So my question to anyone dismissing watch gang. Are these watches any good or are they actually cheap crap?
    Seiko • Prospex
    Black Tier
    Black Tier
    Black Tier

Rather than asking us to present proof it's a con at worst, and at best very poor value?

Present some proof it's what you seem to want it to be, that isn't a paid blurb?
    Compare the RRP watchgang claim for all their models, apart from maybe the prospex to actual selling prices on any range of auction or liquidation sites.

If you want to moan about people claiming it's a con to sound smart?
    Present some actual numbers to prove those people wrong.

• Advertisement

I’m not moaning or even arguing. I’m just asking a simple question about thoughts on those above mentioned watches.
    I actually agree with everyone who has posted on the subject in that it’s not something I would sign up to however I do feel that there is some negativity for negativities sake.

I’m not moaning or even arguing. I’m just asking a simple question about thoughts on those above mentioned watches.
    I actually agree with everyone who has posted on the subject in that it’s not something I would sign up to however I do feel that there is some negativity for negativities sake.

Fair enough, I really do apologise for taking up your post wrongly then.
    Last thing I want to seem is a snarky prick, honestly!
    Especially as other than knowing what I "like" I know next to nothing about watches.

That said, the RRP inflation and payola reviews versus the actual user/member experience on Reddit and other sites all scream at the very best description...
    Poor value!

To me at least.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I bet you wish you never said anything now
    Some people gave you an awful hammering considering this is a chat thread, I guess people like to feel superior with a bunch of strangers online
    The madness may have kicked in after two weeks of lockdown lol

Thanks for the support!
    I don’t t mind though. I find boards a bit like watch gang. You can be really lucky with a gem of a reply or you can go a load of crap. I like to take the chance!

Seiko • Prospex
    Black Tier
    Black Tier
    Black Tier

I have been conned and dupped many many times and most people have been as they go through predictable phases of collecting, and this is aimed and those in the "accumulation phase", filling watch box slots. I suppose to take a weathered view, its a necessary thing to do in this hobby, and people generally come out the other side and realise what they actually like (and are considerably poorer for the lesson).

Its very hard to advise on this topic online. Generally when you advise on the dangers of this here you get called a snob. Its hard give sage advice without inferring the pupil is naive or doesnt know something. At the end of the day people can do exactly as they please, but I have a very annoying habit of begin right, and wording it nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭893bet

He has already dropped his price......

Same fella always has some strange watches. He has strurling moon phase up for years as a super rare watch. I think he started at like 6k? (Maybe a moderator can see the add history?)

He is down to 900 and still over priced by 800 I think.

https://www.adverts.ie/5902589

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd be climbing the walls were it not for me being so damned lazy. This turns out to be a positive. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

No harm in mentioning something even just to have a talking point imo we are all climbing the walls now with this madness

Speaking of talking points I was offered a hulk with box and papers from a dealer for £10600 and that’s without haggling a discount, fella on adverts looking for €15k could be in for a long wait

To be honest they have been at that 12k euro level for a good while now and verified dealers on chrono24 around the 12500 mark. its what makes the adverts dreamer so interesting. Although he did drop it 600 euro yesterday. Its the watchfinders of this world that put them up for 17gbp that amaze me more. There are going to be a good few perceived bargains out there. 896bet always knows the TZ.uk selling prices, what are they going for on there?

That hulk on adverts give me the heebee jeebees for some reason, I dont know why exactly

I am working from home a lot now and had plans on doing loads of jobs around.

Have some done but it turns out I ain’t that busy. Just ****ing lazy and a master procrastinator.

To be honest they have been at that 12k euro level for a good while now and verified dealers on chrono24 around the 12500 mark. its what makes the adverts dreamer so interesting. Although he did drop it 600 euro yesterday. Its the watchfinders of this world that put them up for 17gbp that amaze me more. There are going to be a good few perceived bargains out there. 896bet always knows the TZ.uk selling prices, what are they going for on there?

That hulk on adverts give me the heebee jeebees for some reason, I dont know why exactly

Not been one in a while but I think the last one sold was around 11k. But that was a few months back.

893bet wrote: »
    Have some done but it turns out I ain’t that busy. Just ****ing lazy and a master procrastinator.

I have all my "round the gaff" jobs finished, I've even done the neighbours gutters :o
    But...

Now I have to apply myself to actual work and get 3 essays done for Uni, I am honestly finding every excuse possible to avoid work...

Have a politics essay due and the topic was so boring I fell asleep on page 2 of the 1st bit of research:pac:

if nothing else, I have discovered a possible cure for insomnia!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Ive just cleaned out the toaster with an air compressor.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

banie01 wrote: »
    I have all my "round the gaff" jobs finished, I've even done the neighbours gutters :o
    But...

Now I have to apply myself to actual work and get 3 essays done for Uni, I am honestly finding every excuse possible to avoid work...

Have a politics essay due and the topic was so boring I fell asleep on page 2 of the 1st bit of research:pac:

if nothing else, I have discovered a possible cure for insomnia!

Are you going to have to repeat the year?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Are you going to have to repeat the year?

No, it's only 1st yr for me and we'd moved online in early March.

All the assessments were switched over to online and there is a "no detriment" marking policy in place so taking my qca into account I'll be grand this year unless I royally screw up.

I do have an i-grade repeat due in August tho so that could knock the QCA overall but I will pass the year if things go to plan with a 3.4-3.5 and a recognition that I need to stop cruising ;)

He bought a watch from me and returned it after 3 months because he broke the plastic crown guards
    The joys of buying and selling I guess, I’m sure we could write a book if we put the stories together

You allowed the return after three months?

He had paid by PayPal and you had no choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

He bought a watch from me and returned it after 3 months because he broke the plastic crown guards
    How was that your responsibility ? Sounds like a chancer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi guys,
    How expensive would it be to get a crystal replaced in Omega 300 m seamaster?
    Thanks,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

How was that your responsibility ? Sounds like a chancer

Paypal is notoriously buyer friendly - good for buyers of course. I've experienced quite a few dodgy sellers too when buying from ebay - if it wasn't for paypal I probably would avoid the bay for a lot more purchases.

Though even I didn't know you could return something after 3 months for wear and tear damage - sounds crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I bought a Seiko 5 on Ebay that didn't work straight out of the packaging but got a full refund within a week. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

I'd been looking at various Tags over the last few weeks. I'll probably put off a purchase for a few months until there's some certainly around work but I spotted this and really like it! Any thoughts?

https://www.fields.ie/tag-heuer-f1-gulf-chrono-43mm-men-s-watch

Love the colors of the strap and the dial. Completely different to anything I'd been looking at previously which was a bit more plain with a blue dial, like these:

https://www.fields.ie/tag-heuer-formula-1-men-s-blue-dial-and-bezel-stainless-steel-watch

https://www.fields.ie/tag-heuer-f1-blue-dial-steel-bracelet-men-s-watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

The 3rd one you linked is on chrono24 for under 1000 new, good few of them there, nicest of the 3 imo.

https://www.chrono24.com/tagheuer/formula-1-quarz-41mm--id12960028.htm

Advertisement