Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,114 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Monaghan V Fermanagh in Clones...bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,224 ✭✭✭tanko

Do Division 3/4 teams not get home advantage in the qualifiers against Division 1/2 teams?

tanko wrote: »
    Do Division 3/4 teams not get home advantage in the qualifiers against Division 1/2 teams?

Fermanagh are Div 2.

3/4 do get home advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 9,224 ✭✭✭tanko

Oh, forgot they were in Div 2 this year, pity its not in Enniskillen tho, would be much more fun there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

That's probably the tie of the round

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    Oh, forgot they were in Div 2 this year, pity its not in Enniskillen tho, would be much more fun there.

Revenge is a dish best served in Clones! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Revenge is a dish best served in Clones! :D

I’d be very very shocked and disappointed if Fermanagh get within an asses roar of us this time

• Registered Users Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

As a neutral first one that jumps out to me is London v Offaly - could London have a good cut of them?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

As a neutral first one that jumps out to me is London v Offaly - could London have a good cut of them?

Only one appealing to me is Down and Tipp, might go along to it. I'd see Offaly beating them by 10 at least.

Only one appealing to me is Down and Tipp, might go along to it. I'd see Offaly beating them by 10 at least.

I saw Down Tipp listed, but then assumed that Tipp are a good bit stronger than Down these days or am I miles off?

• Advertisement

I saw Down Tipp listed, but then assumed that Tipp are a good bit stronger than Down these days or am I miles off?

They would tend to be yes but I'd be looking at both as teams going in different directions. Tipp would be favourites but I think it's the only game that has a chance of being close and entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

None of the above games being televised thought the Monaghan would be

• Registered Users Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

naughto wrote: »

Isn't there a set number of games that the broadcasters can show in the year?

They're probably waiting for the "glamour ties" of the rounds later on and are willing to bypass round 1 of the qualifiers.

naughto wrote: »

They must have decided to skip the round. Was there not a round 1 qualifier pencilled in on the original schedule?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭doc_17

Just watching the Sunday Game and only seeing the attendances for both the Leinster double headers on a Saturday. Must be concerning for the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,971 ✭✭✭threeball

doc_17 wrote: »
    Just watching the Sunday Game and only seeing the attendances for both the Leinster double headers on a Saturday. Must be concerning for the GAA.

Good. Might wake them up a bit. The only thing the top brass react to anymore is money or the lack of it. The chickens will really come home to roost when Dublin are ploughing through the super 8s next year on their way to 6 in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭corny

doc_17 wrote: »

Concerned no doubt but they don't seem interested in engaging with supporters to tackle the problem.

The plan seems to be arrange more games and put up prices to fill the gap. Real short sighted thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

nice_guy80 wrote:
    Yeah, the Dubs control a game at the end. Usually through cynicism

The Dubs control matches because the are simply the best ever team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

TCM wrote: »
    The Dubs control matches because the are simply the best ever team.

In an era when football as a whole is rock bottom poor and normally competitive counties are but a former shadow of themselves,seemingly stuck in a never ending process of rebuilding and blooding in young players which somehow never fully develop.

In an era when football as a whole is rock bottom poor and normally competitive counties are but a former shadow of themselves,seemingly stuck in a never ending process of rebuilding and blooding in young players which somehow never fully develop.

Kerry have won five minor titles in a row and have the greatest collection of underage talent the country has ever seen.
    It is up to them to nurture that talent at senior level

Tyrone have a manager that is there since 2003
    Initially he proved to be a master tactician, but times have caught up with him and even he has seen the need to change his approach.

Mayo management have made questionable sideline decisons over the years which has servely harmed thier chances of victory. Are they really well drilled tactically as well? Do the team have a plan?

Donegal have some of the best players in the country as do Galway.
    It is up to the managment in those countries to get the best out of thier players.

Prior to Dublin's recent success they were a laughing stock as they were really underachieving. Then a proper plan and structure was implemented which took over a decade to reap it's rewards today.

As well as this I would argue that as a manager Jim Gavin is light years ahead of his competition.
    If the so called 'traditional' counties found a manager of Gavin's class it would mean a huge difference.
    Kildare squandered a generation of talent under McGeeney - whose sole goal seemed to be getting them fit and staring in into the distance with a steely look in his eyes (the media love that stare)

Meath neglected thier underage football from a position of strength, there is no way that they should have hit such a dramatic decline at senior level.
    It is obviously an internal Meath issue. They were out of division 1 for 13 years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭flasher0030

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That's the simplistic answer I suggest you read 'GAAconomics the secret life of money in the GAA' to enlighten yourself on the subject -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GAAconomics-Michael-Moynihan/dp/071715453X

Also 'Moneybags' Donegal were close to getting to the AI final in 2011 through Jim McGuinness ingenuity then they went on to win in 2012.
    A final which Dublin were not even in - 'Moneybags' Mayo beat them in the semi-final.
    Then 'Moneybags' Mayo got to the final again, the following year in 2013 losing narrowly. They also were there in 2016 and 2017 again, losing narrowly

It is not a question of just resources, but effective use of the resources at a county's disposal.
    The aim for every county to try and over-achieve if possible no matter what thier ambitions.

Donegal and Mayo must be 'moneybags' following your logic?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Dublin were underachieving rather than a laughing stock. I remember Dublin being red-hot favourites against Mayo in 2006, Tyrone in 2008 and Kerry in 2009.

Gavins been a great manager no doubt but he has had pick of four All Ireland under 21 winning teams.. the 14 team alone was enough to sustain Dublin at top of the pile for a decade.

Kerry have talented kids but there is huge step up from minor to senior. Just one of 2007 Galway winning minors made it at senior (Conroy).

Mayo on flipside have been incredibly economical. Vast majority of those players that reached the All Ireland finals (2012-17) come from their 2006 and 2009 under 21 sides.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Dublin were underachieving rather than a laughing stock. I remember Dublin being red-hot favourites against Mayo in 2006, Tyrone in 2008 and Kerry in 2009.

Gavins been a great manager no doubt but he has had pick of four All Ireland under 21 winning teams.. the 14 team alone was enough to sustain Dublin at top of the pile for a decade.

Kerry have talented kids but there is huge step up from minor to senior. Just one of 2007 Galway winning minors made it at senior (Conroy).

Mayo on flipside have been incredibly economical. Vast majority of those players that reached the All Ireland finals (2012-17) come from their 2006 and 2009 under 21 sides.

Dublin were a laughing stock though the rest of the country used to get great fun out of them back then. All the collapses they used to have when a bit of pressure was put on them.
    Thier favourites tag was normally on the basis of hype rather than anything else, as well.

I take your point on the u21 teams for Dublin, but that was after years of groundwork. The 2008 Dublin side which won the Junior All-Ireland was the start of the real spark in my view.
    You are probably correct about that Mayo u21 group being a standout side which are not the norm. In future years people might be saying the same about the Dubs?

Aren't the Kerry team full of former minor footballers from thier successful teams now?

Plus your own county has done well in recent years at underage, is that why you have a decent side now?
    (I know Roscommon got relegated - but I thought it was unlucky)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

In fairness, I don't know why anyone still denies the influence money has had on Dublin's success. It's an accepted fact at this stage. That other counties are spending so much to try to catch up doesn't excuse it but all financial issues need to be looked at as it clearly is causing huge problems.

In fairness, I don't know why anyone still denies the influence money has had on Dublin's success. It's an accepted fact at this stage. That other counties are spending so much to try to catch up doesn't excuse it but all financial issues need to be looked at as it clearly is causing huge problems.

Money has some influence, no doubt. But the solutions to solve it (by some) seem to be more about trying to slow Dublin down than improve other counties.

Dublin are the Leinster Council's cash cow and they will not change anything until the crowds dwindle to such an extent that they have to take action.

Spitting Dublin is not the answer either because the Dublin 'Brand' would be killed a whole new stadium, and a completely new county board would have to be created.

Dublin sending coaches and expertise to other weaker counties might be the answer. But how would the likes of Cork react to that idea?

Money has some influence, no doubt. But the solutions to solve it (by some) seem to be more about trying to slow Dublin down than improve other counties.

Dublin are the Leinster Council's cash cow and they will not change anything until the crowds dwindle to such an extent that they have to take action.

Spitting Dublin is not the answer either because the Dublin 'Brand' would be killed a whole new stadium, and a completely new county board would have to be created.

Dublin sending coaches and expertise to other weaker counties might be the answer. But how would the likes of Cork react to that idea?

When is the discussion about Dublin and their finances going to begin at a high level? Are they still claiming over 1 million every year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

When is the discussion about Dublin and their finances going to begin at a high level? Are they still claiming over 1 million every year?

Think it's 2 million

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Think it's 2 million

2 million every year, about to win 5 in a row, 7 in 9 years yet nothing is been said about it at the top level. Brolly and others are on about kicking counties out of the real championship but they're saying nothing about this. What's going on?

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement