Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

Both teams have been slaughtered with abuse for this football, many times. There's no need for the tinfoil mickey complex.

When is the last time Tyrone have played like this may I ask?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

That free miss from Fermanagh was a huge miss, would have been just one between them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

When is the last time Tyrone have played like this may I ask?

What are you on about? You said Tyrone would get abuse IF they played like this, implying Fermanagh and Donegal don't get abuse which is massively incorrect (how you could even think they don't is beyond any form of reason). Nobody mentioned Tyrones current style of play, not even you. Calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Breaffy Mafia?

Here we go again.

Every time we come up short it's all down to the Breaffy Mafia.:rolleyes:

Nothing to do with our defensive frailties on the day and inability to take our chances.Management were found wanting on the line.

Remember we could have still secured a draw if Conor Loftus had taken that free.

Our great weakness since time eternal is insufficient quality up front.

I'd select Clarke over Hennelly every time but I can see the weaknesses identified in his kickouts.

What are you on about? You said Tyrone would get abuse IF they played like this, implying Fermanagh and Donegal don't get abuse which is massively incorrect (how you could even think they don't is beyond any form of reason). Nobody mentioned Tyrones current style of play, not even you. Calm down.

Apologies. I assumed you meant Tyrone and Donegal. Not Fermanagh and Donegal.

Another foul from Donegal

• Advertisement

Tyrone are one of the teams I'd rather watch these days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

You don’t need to comment every time Fermanagh are awarded a free.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

55mins and theyre doing this. Truly ugly style of play they have.

If Tyrone played like this theyd be slaughtered with abuse.

Edit: another foul from Donegal

You seem to have a bit of a hard-on for Donegal, James. Any comment on the Fermanagh player slapping Hugh McFadden in the head 3 times as he fell in the first half? Or the multitude of fouls and yellows for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Laois (beat Westmeath) easing themselves into the championship. Shows league means nothing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Doctor Zhivago

Could they not show Laois v Westmeath before the hurling? Shocking stuff from RTE. All about the bloody hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

This Fermanagh team have no teeth at all handy win in the end, pity they didn't have everyone on the pitch

Lads like Brennan for Donegal were the difference, Donegal have a few of them, the other boys have none.

You'd miss Quigley. He'd be the difference in watching them play or not.

Could they not show Laois v Westmeath before the hurling? Shocking stuff from RTE. All about the bloody hurling.

They only have a finite number of games so would have to give up another one down the road to show it.

fullstop wrote: »
    You seem to have a bit of a hard-on for Donegal, James. Any comment on the Fermanagh player slapping Hugh McFadden in the head 3 times as he fell in the first half? Or the multitude of fouls and yellows for them?

Well they seem to believe they are our rivals. I expected more from them. I never stated fermanagh were a clean side.

I look forward to our game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Well they seem to believe they are our rivals. I expected more from them. I never stated fermanagh were a clean side.

I look forward to our game.

Personally I think Donegal should form a guard of honour for Tyrone before their semi final, particularly after their demolition yesterday of well known gaelic football giants Antrim

Personally I think Donegal should form a guard of honour for Tyrone before their semi final, particularly after their demolition yesterday of well known gaelic football giants Antrim

No way. ****housing a win vs fermanagh cancels it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

Very poor result for westmeath today after a good league campaign.

He grabbed him around the shoulder/neck area. So yes it is just a yellow.

It was the neck area. He never touched his shoulder

TCM wrote: »
    Laois (beat Westmeath) easing themselves into the championship. Shows league means nothing
    To be fair, Laois should have been out of sight against Westmeath in the division 3 final. Would have liked a chance of some sort of revenge on Westmeath for 2015. Laois will be very tough.

Hadn't been following the score much during the hurling but last time I looked I thought Longford were buried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Or the fact that Roscommon teams have had huge baggage going to Castlebar for decades

That's just pure hocus pocus stuff. In the last 40 years Mayo have beaten Roscommon 8 times from 12 in Castlebar, 6 times out of 10 at the Hyde, and 1 from 2 in Croke Park. Venue as arbiter of performance is unproven to say the least. Mayo have been better than Roscommon by and large no matter what the venue. In the same way the delusion that Croke Park is a big factor in Dublin's success is just that.

• Advertisement

That's one you don't see every day either.

https://twitter.com/MalachyClerkin/status/1132688224600641536?s=19

Kildare may have remembered what was awaiting them in the semi final if they won it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

Jesus kildare have went backwards
    Longford are missing half their team

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

Powerhouse wrote: »
    That's just pure hocus pocus stuff. In the last 40 years Mayo have beaten Roscommon 8 times from 12 in Castlebar, 6 times out of 10 at the Hyde, and 1 from 2 in Croke Park. Venue as arbiter of performance is unproven to say the least. Mayo have been better than Roscommon by and large no matter what the venue. In the same way the delusion that Croke Park is a big factor in Dublin's success is just that.

While I agree in a manner of speaking that venue should not make a difference, the fact is it does. Why do you see in all sports around the world that invariably teams' home records are superior to their away ones?

I have been travelling all over Ireland watching Roscommon playing since the mid-1980s and I can tell you I have often said to myself after getting walloped in McHale Park - "never again". Why? Because I have so often seen middling Mayo teams seemingly play above themselves and Roscommon teams cowering and playing like cowards down there. When the match is in the Hyde it's nearly always a close game, even in recent years when Mayo most definitely had a much superior team. Why is that?

You seem to completely discount negative psychology in relation to a team's performance, but mark my words if you lived in the West of Ireland you would notice the inferiority complex that is rife in this part of the world. Even though it should be, it definitely is not hocus pocus.

megadodge wrote: »
    While I agree in a manner of speaking that venue should not make a difference, the fact is it does. Why do you see in all sports around the world that invariably teams' home records are superior to their away ones?

I have been travelling all over Ireland watching Roscommon playing since the mid-1980s and I can tell you I have often said to myself after getting walloped in McHale Park - "never again". Why? Because I have so often seen middling Mayo teams seemingly play above themselves and Roscommon teams cowering and playing like cowards down there. When the match is in the Hyde it's nearly always a close game, even in recent years when Mayo most definitely had a much superior team. Why is that?

You seem to completely discount negative psychology in relation to a team's performance, but mark my words if you lived in the West of Ireland you would notice the inferiority complex that is rife in this part of the world. Even though it should be, it definitely is not hocus pocus.

I cannot comment on subjective feelings or negative psychology or inferiority complexes. I am sure there are many reasons why one teams tends to dominate another. With regard to emotions regarding the venue, all I can do appeal to the facts.

Mayo have played Roscommon 24 times in the championship in the past 40 years at three venues. Mayo have won 15 times (8 times in Castlebar, 6 times at Hyde Park, and once in Croke Park). Three of the matches have been draws and Roscommon have won 6 times (3 times at Hyde Park, 3 times in Castlebar). The venue in fact appears to make no material difference with the teams doing more or less equally well at either venue.

The stats are in keeping with what you would expect based on the broader picture. Mayo have twice as many Connacht titles as Roscommon and have played in 12 All-Ireland finals compared with Roscommon's 2 since Roscommon's great team of the 1940s was around. Mayo have played in 19 League finals and won 12 of them. Roscommon have played in just 3 and won 1.

There is no logical reason for Roscommon to have "baggage" about Castlebar, in particular, as a venue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I cannot comment on subjective feelings or negative psychology or inferiority complexes. I am sure there are many reasons why one teams tends to dominate another. With regard to emotions regarding the venue, all I can do appeal to the facts.

Mayo have played Roscommon 24 times in the championship in the past 40 years at three venues. Mayo have won 15 times (8 times in Castlebar, 6 times at Hyde Park, and once in Croke Park). Three of the matches have been draws and Roscommon have won 6 times (3 times at Hyde Park, 3 times in Castlebar). The venue in fact appears to make no material difference with the teams doing more or less equally well at either venue.

The stats are in keeping with what you would expect based on the broader picture. Mayo have twice as many Connacht titles as Roscommon and have played in 12 All-Ireland finals compared with Roscommon's 2 since Roscommon's great team of the 1940s was around. Mayo have played in 19 League finals and won 12 of them. Roscommon have played in just 3 and won 1.

There is no logical reason for Roscommon to have "baggage" about Castlebar, in particular, as a venue.

Yeah, but Roscommon hadn't won in Castlebar in 33 years. You fail to mention that. No player on the Roscommon panel was born when they last won there.
    The big difference is Roscommon underage teams started to beat Mayo underage teams about 12/13 years ago and the young lads have less hang ups about what happened 49 years ago

Both counties have the same number of all Ireland titles in the last 40 years btw

nice_guy80 wrote: »

1) Yeah, but Roscommon hadn't won in Castlebar in 33 years. You fail to mention that. No player on the Roscommon panel was born when they last won there.

2) The big difference is Roscommon underage teams started to beat Mayo underage teams about 12/13 years ago and the young lads have less hang ups about what happened 49 years ago

3) Both counties have the same number of all Ireland titles in the last 40 years btw

1 and 2 seem to contradict each other. In the first paragraph you have Roscommon youngsters crippled with hang ups, but in the second one they seem to have no hang ups. Need to make your mind up on that.

As for 3 - yes I am aware of that but it's irrelevant. I was drawing distinctions between the counties to explain logically why the venue was irrelevant not looking for common ground. Kerry. Cork and Donegal have the same number of All-Irelands this decade but that doesn't really show the full picture does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Powerhouse seems to have a serious bee in his bonnet over Roscommon. How many posts now on them? there is other counties and matches to talk about you know?

Powerhouse seems to have a serious bee in his bonnet over Roscommon. How many posts now on them? there is other counties and matches to talk about you know?

No there isn't. It is only about Roscommon. It has only ever been about Roscommon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

You can't pull the wool over my eyes that easily.

Why did you decide to use the seemingly arbitrary figure of 40 years? Because you needed those extra 10 years to validate your stats based arugument.

Before yesterday's results can you give the breakdown of Roscommon / Mayo championship matches over the last 30 years? Very different to the 40 year mark, mainly because Roscommon used to have a very good record in McHale Park up to and including 1986. After that it got worse and worse. And many of those Mayo teams that hammered Roscommon were pretty ordinary teams.

The funny thing is I actually agree with you in that it should never make a difference. If you're a better team, then you should win irrespective of the venue. It's a point I've been harping on about for years and even on the Roscommon thread I made a post just prior to the Mayo match basically hoping to God the Roscommon players would play as hard as they could, play to the bitter end and go down fighting, rather than the gutless, cowardly displays I've seen too often in McHale Park. I believed they were going to lose, because I believed Mayo were a better team (and I still wouldn't be foolish enough to rule out Mayo having a long run), but in all sports playing to the very end is a crucial starting point in developing a winning mentality.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement