Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

megadodge wrote: »

Why did you decide to use the seemingly arbitrary figure of 40 years? Because you needed those extra 10 years to validate your stats based arugument.

Before yesterday's results can you give the breakdown of Roscommon / Mayo championship matches over the last 30 years?

Very different to the 40 year mark, mainly because Roscommon used to have a very good record in McHale Park up to and including 1986. After that it got worse and worse. And many of those Mayo teams that hammered Roscommon were pretty ordinary teams.

Why did I pick 40 years? Because it's enough in living memory to inform opinions which determine the way people think. It's unlikely we'd have anyone on here who's remember much further back. And all such figures are arbitrary. Why not pick 40 years? Your only objection seems to be that it doesn't suit your belief system.

Why do you want a breakdown of the last 30 years? Why did you decide to use the seemingly arbitrary figure of 30 years? Because you needed to obliterate those extra 10 years to validate your stats-free argument?

See, it works both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭megadodge

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Why did I pick 40 years? Because it's enough in living memory to inform opinions which determine the way people think. It's unlikely we'd have anyone on here who's remember much further back. And all such figures are arbitrary. Why not pick 40 years? Your only objection seems to be that it doesn't suit your belief system.

Why do you want a breakdown of the last 30 years? Why did you decide to use the seemingly arbitrary figure of 30 years? Because you needed to obliterate those extra 10 years to validate your stats-free argument?

See, it works both ways.

That's a very dishonest post.

It has been very widely publicised that it was 33 years since Roscommon last won in Castlebar. So we've been talking about the intervening period. Absolutely nobody on this thread or anywhere else on this forum ever mentioned what happened before that. I certainly didn't. And suddenly you introduce Roscommon's previously good record because it evens the figures up a bit.

Well, as I asked you in the last post, can you provide the stats for Roscommon / Mayo championship matches over the last 30 years, ya know, the actual period we've been discussing all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Joe Brolly needs to get off The Sunday Game. Constantly interrupting, talking over people and then looking for the dramatic soundbite. Had a bit of a tantrum there and refused to look at Whelan when he was talking.

He's insufferable, bad enough for 10 minutes during a live match, but this is crap. RTE need to get Tomas O'Se in with Whelan for the best analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

No there isn't. It is only about Roscommon. It has only ever been about Roscommon.
    Good man now step away from the keyboard and rest your weary head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

2 mins of highlights for Laois Westmeath. 2 and half for Kildare Longford. They spent half an hour on the Mayo Roscommon match that was televised live last night. What a joke having to sit though all that and Brolly.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭La Bamba

Jesus the Sunday Game is hard watching . Longford and Kildare went toe to toe for 90 minutes. Instead of analysisng the game Brolly tells us that there is "no point" to Longfords Championship campaign and why a tiered championship (where based on proposals Kildare and Longford would be in seperate championships) is the way to go..

The Championship is by no means perfect but Christ someone with some positivity would be welcome on the show instead of this agenda driven promotion of a tiered championship where the bottom tier will be ignored like Christy Ring, Joe McDonagh et al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

recyclebin wrote: »
    2 mins of highlights for Laois Westmeath. 2 and half for Kildare Longford. They spent half an hour on the Mayo Roscommon match that was televised live last night. What a joke having to sit though all that and Brolly.....

Brolly said a tiered championship would have teams like Laois and Westmeath playing against each other and said absolutely nothing about the actual match, not one thing was mentioned about it. Exactly how it would be in a tiered championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭C__MC

Harsh on louth Sunday game should Have shown at least 3 of their scores

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

If you had a tiered championship and the top level included division 2 then Kildare, Westmeath and Laois would all be top tier.

All about the tiered championship and not a thing about financial situation that has seen Dublin and others push so far ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

If I was pushing for a tiered championship the stat I'd be hammering this weekend is that counties with a combined population of around 1.7million only attracted a combined attendance of around 14500 to Portlaoise last night.

Money talks.

grbear wrote: »
    If I was pushing for a tiered championship the stat I'd be hammering this weekend is that counties with a combined population of around 1.7million only attracted a combined attendance of around 14500 to Portlaoise last night.

Money talks.

Is 1.7 million their population or how much money they get every year?

megadodge wrote: »

That's a very dishonest post.

It has been very widely publicised that it was 33 years since Roscommon last won in Castlebar. So we've been talking about the intervening period. Absolutely nobody on this thread or anywhere else on this forum ever mentioned what happened before that. I certainly didn't.

And suddenly you introduce Roscommon's previously good record because it evens the figures up a bit.

Well, as I asked you in the last post, can you provide the stats for Roscommon / Mayo championship matches over the last 30 years, ya know, the actual period we've been discussing all along.

Absolutely nobody on this thread or anywhere else on this forum ever mentioned what happened before that.

Wrong I mentioned it. You don't get to decide what can and can't be discussed.

And suddenly you introduce Roscommon's previously good record because it evens the figures up a bit.

This is simply wrong. You just don't understand what you are saying. In the extra years I include before 1986 Mayo and Roscommon played a grand total of TWO more games in Castlebar, and Roscommon won ONE of them. It is the same situation with Hyde Park - TWO extra games and one won by each county. It makes no difference to the success rates.

I won't accuse you of being dishonest because I suspect you just didn't think through precisely what you were saying.

No point in continuing this.

Good man now step away from the keyboard and rest your weary head.

Not a hope. I'm far too busy thinking about Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

God Brolly really is embarrassing at this stage. You can see Whelans frustration at having to be on with him. Between interrupting everyone and sulking when he is told to shut up he is just an annoyance now. Is there actually people that enjoy this guys ‘analysis’?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

La Bamba wrote: »
    Jesus the Sunday Game is hard watching . Longford and Kildare went toe to toe for 90 minutes. Instead of analysisng the game Brolly tells us that there is "no point" to Longfords Championship campaign and why a tiered championship (where based on proposals Kildare and Longford would be in seperate championships) is the way to go..

The Championship is by no means perfect but Christ someone with some positivity would be welcome on the show instead of this agenda driven promotion of a tiered championship where the bottom tier will be ignored like Christy Ring, Joe McDonagh et al.

Said it earlier in the thread, but Roscommon's win last night would not have happened if we took that clown seriously, since he said last year that even Division One teams shouldn't be part of the top tier after the Tyrone game in the Super 8's last year.

RTE think that they can continually recycle Dunphy throwing his pen across the floor after Ireland Egypt in 1990. As in, get an idiot to say stupid but controversial stuff in an animated manner because its 'entertainment.' Does anyone actually want this anymore? Amazingly, we seem to be dependent on the BBC and Sky for any kind of football coverage and analysis anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 18,328 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

God Brolly really is embarrassing at this stage. You can see Whelans frustration at having to be on with him. Between interrupting everyone and sulking when he is told to shut up he is just an annoyance now. Is there actually people that enjoy this guys ‘analysis’?

Not even his mother does!

http://www.irishnews.com/news/2013/08/06/news/brolly-s-tyrone-born-mum-laughs-off-sensational-rant-66808/

Joe's Brolly's Mother Anne Brolly -

"I would disassociate from every comment he makes about everything."

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Brolly seemed to be in even more belligerent mood tonight than normal. He wouldn't give Whelan a chance to speak at all.

Someone must have had a word with him during one of the ad breaks as he seemed to keep quiet after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

RMAOK wrote: »
    Brolly seemed to be in even more belligerent mood tonight than normal. He wouldn't give Whelan a chance to speak at all.

Someone must have had a word with him during one of the ad breaks as he seemed to keep quiet after it.

Yeah he toned it down a bit at the end. He spoils the whole thing every time he is on, not that the analysis is exactly cutting edge to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭dog_pig

I think Whelan misunderstood what Brolly's point was or at the very least chose a poor time to make his argument. What's the problem with Brolly berating Fermanagh's defensiveness and also suggesting that Tyrone are more open due to the fact that they're taking the 'opposite' approach? I don't necessarily agree with everything he said but he seems justified to say it.

I only really watched the video because I read these comments. He's belligerent and over the top but that's all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

He normally grins stuff off too when he's pulled up but he was boiling at times last night.

Is the qualifier draw on Radio 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Is the qualifier draw on Radio 1?

Yes 0835

To be honest I think his analysis is more interesting that the rest put together. Too much of the sound-fella-you'd-like-to-have-a-pint-with-because-he-is-bland-and-unchallenging is tedious too.

I think the problem with Brolly is three-fold really. One - he constantly references whoever his preferred team is...………...a few years back it was Donegal, before that Tyrone, and now "the Dubs", when talking about any other team which makes his comments predictable and boring. Two - as has been pointed out, he constantly dismisses any game that is less than top 4/5 as evidence for a tiered championship - yes, we get it, no need to keep repeating it. And three - on a personal level he comes across as sneery, rude, and condescending.

It's a pity because he is a good speaker, which is not really a given on that forum, and actually thinks a little differently not just relying on stating the obvious or relying in cliché all the time. But the huffing and puffing and personalisation of all matters whether it's to do with the person in the studio with him or the people he's talking about in the analysis is a big drawback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

To be honest I think his analysis is more interesting that the rest put together. Too much of the sound-fella-you'd-like-to-have-a-pint-with-because-he-is-bland-and-unchallenging is tedious too.

I think the problem with Brolly is three-fold really. One - he constantly references whoever his preferred team is...………...a few years back it was Donegal, before that Tyrone, and now "the Dubs", when talking about any other team which makes his comments predictable and boring. Two - as has been pointed out, he constantly dismisses any game that is less than top 4/5 as evidence for a tiered championship - yes, we get it, no need to keep repeating it. And three - on a personal level he comes across as sneery, rude, and condescending.

It's a pity because he is a good speaker, which is not really a given on that forum, and actually thinks a little differently not just relying on stating the obvious or relying in cliché all the time. But the huffing and puffing and personalisation of all matters whether it's to do with the person in the studio with him or the people he's talking about in the analysis is a big drawback.

Yeah, the Dubs control a game at the end.
    Usually through cynicism

You'd think with Sky showing matches that RTE's coverage would improve.
    But no, it's actually got worse

Well, that's meh. Just what wasn't wanted, an away games vs a team you're sick of playing in the league that is 99.9% certain to win.

_

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

KevRossi wrote: »
    Joe Brolly needs to get off The Sunday Game. Constantly interrupting, talking over people and then looking for the dramatic soundbite. Had a bit of a tantrum there and refused to look at Whelan when he was talking.

He's insufferable, bad enough for 10 minutes during a live match, but this is crap. RTE need to get Tomas O'Se in with Whelan for the best analysis.

Look at my post history last year. Said the exact same thing. Theyll change nothing as they love the drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,061 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Well, that's meh. Just what wasn't wanted, an away games vs a team you're sick of playing in the league that is 99.9% certain to win.

_

Leitrim v Wicklow ?

• Advertisement

Leitrim v Wicklow ?

Yeah. When you're going to lose anyway then you might as well go down in flames at home vs someone bigger.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement