Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The rematch makes sense and doesn't make sense at the same time

It makes perfect sense. 1:1 at the moment, everyone in the division has lost in their last 2 or 3 fights apart from Oliveira, Khabib looks like hes done.

Poirier vs Oliveira should be for the belt next but thats not the money spinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I wonder how much Conor wants the rematch?

What happened in fight 2 that could see him have any real confidence?

I mean, he landed some clean shots and Poirier went nowhere....

Conor was beaten up with punches towards the end

Is Conor hanging on to the leg being compromised? Is this enough for him to be confident that he can win a rematch if his legs are in good condition?

If I was his team, their goal now should be to plan for a long fight.....train very hard and concentrate a lot on cardio all over....

I mean, he is not going to change his overall style and striking skills.....

But he needs to make sure he has the fight in him come 10-12-14-16-18-20......minutes.....

Of course, he could take Poirier out, but that needs to be seen as a bonus....the focus should be on being able to fight and fight at a good pace for 25 minutes....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

I think people are deliberately trying to blue the lines between excuses and simple acceptance of failures just because it's McGregor.

"I hurt my leg in training the week before the fight" would be an excuse.

"I went in there too focused on boxing and got deservedly got the legs kicked off me" isn't an excuse, just an acceptance of failure to be properly prepared.

Fighters usually acknowledge why they lost, what was lacking in their own plans versus those of their opponents. I haven't seen any excuses from him, just acknowledgement that he wasn't properly prepared. Fighters do this all the time.

It's basically McGregor admitting what half the world already knows - he was too focused on boxing and deservedly got chewed up and spat out by Porier. That he was in good shape, had good control, and decent shots....not really excuses, just facts.

He did have good control, he did appear from what we saw to be in decent shape, he did have solid shots.....he just didn't have a proper game plan and he ultimnately got completely schooled.

Excuses tend to want to take away from the victor. "It wasn't him, it was this injury/other external factor" type stuff. Conor isn't doing that, nothing he's said tries to take anything away from Dustin's win.

Better fighter won on the night, world knows it, Conor knows it, and to be fair very few people really are trying to claim otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,529 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

If he can't put Dustin away don't see how he beats him ?
    He caught Dustin with loads of heavy shots and Dustin didn't budge ,
    I'm not sure why he wants an immediate rematch ,

Is there something he seen in the fight we didn't or is there something he knows about himself we don't ( injury) ?

It's strange

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

He caught Dustin with loads of heavy shots and Dustin didn't budge

I'm not sure that's necessarily true. He caught Dustin a couple of times in the first and although he didn't put him away, it was obvious that the shots affected Dustin.

I'd be more worried about how shots that don't take Dustin out affect Conor's heart & mentality. There's no doubt Conor can knock Dustin out.

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I'm not sure that's necessarily true. He caught Dustin a couple of times in the first and although he didn't put him away, it was obvious that the shots affected Dustin.

I'd be more worried about how shots that don't take Dustin out affect Conor's heart & mentality. There's no doubt Conor can knock Dustin out.

Yes, Conor can take Dustin out.

But the problem I see is that Dustin can take Conor out, and not due to a dodgy leg or Conor being really tired.

Dustin, for me has more ways to win....

Dustin definitely has enough pop, if he can land clean to hurt Conor and close the show....same way Conor has.

Conor needs to train like an animal and with the mindset that "I can't knock this guy out," and I have to beat him for 25 minutes.

If I had real confidence in Conor's cardio engine, I'd make him a slight favorite....

walshb wrote: »
    Yes, Conor can take Dustin out.

But the problem I see is that Dustin can take Conor out, and not due to a dodgy leg or Conor being really tired.

Dustin, for me has more ways to win....

Agreed. Conor, from the looks of things, has one way to win. And if that doesn't go well within 6 - 7 mins he's toast.

If I had real confidence in Conor's cardio engine, I'd make him a slight favorite....

See, i'm not sure Conor has this confidence himself and that's a massive problem.

MrStuffins wrote: »

See, i'm not sure Conor has this confidence himself and that's a massive problem.

Fully agree

He is human...he knows his talents/skills/strengths, and he knows his weaknesses

And the cardio question is so very important

He has to know that if he cannot hurt Dustin enough to close the show, then he may be skating on ice....

And he has to know that he has little hope of a submission type win...he is just not near good enough in this area to be confident.

But, a good solid plan for training, range, keeping the fight at his pace and distance, and effective accuracy striking....he may be able to keep Dustin honest, contained and in a shell.....this allowing Conor to get to round 5 should he need to...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Fully agree

He is human...he knows his talents/skills/strengths, and he knows his weaknesses

And the cardio question is so very important

He has to know that if he cannot hurt Dustin enough to close the show, then he may be skating on ice....

And he has to know that he has little hope of a submission type win...he is just not near good enough in this area to be confident.

But, a good solid plan for training, range, keeping the fight at his pace and distance, and effective accuracy striking....he may be able to keep Dustin honest, contained and in a shell.....this allowing Conor to get to round 5 should he need to...

Listening to his interviews, he thinks he was destroying porier in the clinch, I can see him fancying himself as some randy couture type clinch fighter in the rematch, he did the same against Diaz 2.

If he does deploy this strategy, its draining and ugly, and favours the guy with more upper body strength.

It's a tough ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

That right down the pipe almost did it. I actually thought he had him there. A younger McGregor would've capitalised on that.

Anyway, I dunno I can't see McGregor ever getting back to the heights of his previous bouts. He looked old, and he's been training hard this year... Not sure you can reverse that. If you look at him vs Alvarez vs now he doesn't look the same frame, he hasn't got that springy edgy step. Maybe he suited the 145 frame better, leaner and lighter. He's done a lot to get into a natural 155 frame but he looked sluggish and slow on his feet there.

So if you're Dana, what fight do you make? I'm sure he still wants him in the ring, ala Silva he'll still be a cash cow, but it's going to be hard to hype him up after that performance. If it was off the back of the Cowboy fight, sure. Despite the onesidedness, it's easy to sell that sort of performance.

He's got to fight a mid-level lightweight fighter now right? How does that work? He's not going to put two fighters ranked 6/7th sorta level on as a 5 round main event bout, is he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,969 ✭✭✭✭rob316

A fight with Ferguson to me makes the most sense. The trilogy fight with Dustin would sell far better with a win under his belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

rob316 wrote: »
    A fight with Ferguson to me makes the most sense. The trilogy fight with Dustin would sell far better with a win under his belt.

I'd agree. .I think a trilogy should happen at some point but Conor needs to notch up a W or 2.
    Also, Dustin deserves to fight someone for a vacant title.

Would be even bigger if they had a rematch next year, with Dustin as champ and hopefully fans back involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Conors cardio had nothing to do with his loss to Dustin atall walsh why do you keep on about it

US2 wrote: »
    Conors cardio had nothing to do with his loss to Dustin atall walsh why do you keep on about it

What?

I am talking about his chances in a rematch..and that should be clear.

If he can’t get Dustin out of there, then he should be trained very very well to ensure he has the stamina to go 25 mins..

I would not be confident of Conor winning fight 3 if the pace is in anyway intense and Dustin is still there fighting..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

What?

I am talking about his chances in a rematch..and that should be clear.

If he can’t get Dustin out of there, then he should be trained very very well to ensure he has the stamina to go 25 mins..

I would not be confident of Conor winning fight 3 if the pace is in anyway intense and Dustin is still there fighting..

He did have a 25min brawl with a much bigger man than Poirier in Diaz albeit less talented .......and it was well over 24 mins before he got taken down

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Diaz got battered for 25 minutes by Benson Henderson, his cardio is overrated.

Something something triathlons, something something swims to Alcatraz...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Ush1 wrote: »

Dustin's cardio is being overrated too. There's nothing wrong with it, but he's not a machine like Max or Ferguson.

sonofenoch wrote: »
    He did have a 25min brawl with a much bigger man than Poirier in Diaz albeit less talented .......and it was well over 24 mins before he got taken down

And was very economical and efficient in that fight. Lot of lulls in the action. Regrouping, stepping off, resting etc..

Not criticising him for this. It was smart

And it’s exactly my point. Conor’s training should be for a 25 minutes fight..smart, economical, varied and fit enough should the pace be difficult and hard..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

And was very economical and efficient in that fight. Lot of lulls in the action. Regrouping, stepping off, resting etc..

Not criticising him for this. It was smart

And it’s exactly my point. Conor’s training should be for a 25 minutes fight..smart, economical, varied and fit enough should the pace be difficult and hard..

Besides anything else, we're never going to see Conor in a 3 round fight again. Who headlines ahead of him?

Ush1 wrote: »

He got out wrestled and beat up but his Cardio was not a problem ,
    Diaz has great cardio but not much power , that his issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

He got out wrestled and beat up but his Cardio was not a problem ,
    Diaz has great cardio but not much power , that his issue

Neither was Benson Hendersons. My point is his cardio is good but nothing amazing like people talk about, especially considering his style doesn't depend on speed or power. Plenty of fighters can go 25 minutes without cardio issues. McGregor is the anomaly in that his cardio seems to be so impacted beyond a certain point in the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭hbhook

Not replying to you in particular at all! But the notion that Mac could hang out with Pac?!?! There was a poster on here from a couple years ago. WRECKMABALLS or something? Is he still around?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭dockysher

Mcgregor has admitted now he was happy how his cardio held up against poirer. A fight he got battered in and send round and a half, after all the ****e talk from him and his coach's beforehand. Pure spoof merchant.

dockysher wrote: »
    Mcgregor has admitted now he was happy how his cardio held up against poirer. A fight he got battered in and send round and a half, after all the ****e talk from him and his coach's beforehand. Pure spoof merchant.

What are you even talking about?
    He won the first round and literally said nothing bad about Dustin in the entire build up to the fight. Are you drunk or did you just decide to make up nonsense to get a reaction? Feels like an episode of the Twilight Zone with the way some people talk about this fight. You would swear his fight was exactly like Nunes vs Spencer with the way people are talking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Cardio defo wasn't the issue for McGregor against Dustin. Flat footed from the second the bell rang, stiff, lack of leg checks all rank well above any cardio issues.

.ak wrote: »
    Cardio defo wasn't the issue for McGregor against Dustin. Flat footed from the second the bell rang, stiff, lack of leg checks all rank well above any cardio issues.

He looked wrecked tired towards the end...

Was it all due to a compromised leg..? He had no real resistance during the final ten seconds.

Being very fit and comfortable surely should have seen him react and defend better. To me he looked spent, tired and jaded during the final 10-15 seconds; leg sore or not. His visuals and his overall reactions showed a fighter that looked knackered.

I think folks are looking too much to his visuals after round 1...he may have looked comfortable, but the round definitely took something out of both of them.

I think Dustin recovered better.

Conor seemed to tire towards the end..yes, leg was compromised, but he still was tiring..

A gas tank can deplete rapidly depending on the circumstances. So he may have looked good, even felt good at end round 1...but the action in round 2 may well have accelerated the decline in stamina..round 1 was intense for both men..

Anyway, I think it’s logical to point to his cardio engine in general. I don’t think it’s that good

Of all his traits, his cardio gets a C grade for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Still Ill

At least he didn't need to sit on the stool though, right?

.ak wrote: »

He also looked to fade badly cardio-wise. By the closing minute of the fight he looked like he did when he faded in the first Diaz fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Wasn’t up to the required standard

• Advertisement

Lads im not convinced with all this cardio talk,

Have you ever seen a lad get beat up and not look tired ?

This is not boxing where you can be outpointed and losing ,
    In MMA 90% of the time your losing because your taking BIG shots or being bumped on your head and man handled, You can be the fittest man in the world but get an arse kicking ,

Look at Dustin v Justin
    Gaethje is know for his output and being a wild dog in there but the wheels came off when Dustin started to bash him up and no one question Justin gas tank , he just got beat up

Conor just got beat up

Advertisement