Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What practice/beliefs make you instantly lose respect for someone?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

micar wrote: »
    For my safety I cycle on the footpath going to Mobhi Road in Glasnevin.

Me me me me

What about the safety of pedestrians? Where are they supposed to go to get away from the muppets who insist on cycling on the footpath?

Grow up and get off the bike if you want to use the footpath. Clue is in the word "foot" btw.

Life ain't always empty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

Racists, Trumpers (same thing), flat earthers, alien conspiracists, selfish people, people who can't drive for sh*t, but what REALLY gets me is people who are fanatics about ANY kind of religion.
    Very nice women at work who I really like* and she's a Jehovah's.
    No matter how much I like her, I feel like saying "alright, I've had it with this crap, we're gonna have a discussion and if it takes me YEARS, I'll convince you otherwise!", but what's the point, some people choose to believe childish, made-up nonsense and I have to "respect" that.
    That would be the next point. We're supposed to respect stupid people, "because all opinions are valid".
    No they're not!
    Because of this mindset we have Trump, Brexit and right-wing politics on the rise.

*as an esteemed colleague, kind of a platonic crush.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Would you rather a child cycling on the road along side motorits over them cycling on footpaths.

As someone who does a lot of cycling and has experienced a variety of close calls, I certainly don't want children cycling on roads.

There are fully grown adults at this.

Grow a pair and cycle where you're supposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,192 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

People who say of I won the lotto I would buy a site in Dublin and build loads of houses for the homeless families to live in for free.
    That's great you'd have a great time running around maintaining all those houses for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Me me me me

What about the safety of pedestrians? Where are they supposed to go to get away from the muppets who insist on cycling on the footpath?

Grow up and get off the bike if you want to use the footpath. Clue is in the word "foot" btw.
    There are fully grown adults at this.

Grow a pair and cycle where you're supposed to.

You honestly think I'm going to plough into someone walking up Mobhi road....which is uphill. Also it's a pretty wide footpath.

I slow up and pass them by at entrance to someone's driveway.

There is a cycle lane on the footpath on a section of Mobhi road....there is no reason why it should not be continued to the top.

My safety is paramount....so yeah "me me me".

"Grow a pair".....how very pleasant.

Wonder if you've the same reaction to motorists parked on double yellow lines, on footpaths, in bus Lanes, on cyclepaths, in disabled parking spaces without a blue badge, in bus stop, double parked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Line dancing/dancers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭pgj2015

people who were born an raised in Ireland leaving for the US,UK, AUSTRALIA etc and then $hitting on Ireland every chance they get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

pgj2015 wrote: »
    people who were born an raised in Ireland leaving for the US,UK, AUSTRALIA etc and then $hitting on Ireland every chance they get.

Most people living here do enough of that now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Most people living here do enough of that now anyway.

Well, most people on certain online platforms seem to anyway.

Would struggle to think of any Irish public figure who there could be thread on that the majority of posts wouldn't end up being how they are not talented, sh*t at their job, only in it for themselves etc, etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

thunderdog wrote: »
    In order to see the full list of wines, would they have to ask the waiter for the ‘plonker list’?

People who say they like a "glass of vino" instead of a glass wine...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Racists, Trumpers (same thing), flat earthers, alien conspiracists, selfish people, people who can't drive for sh*t, but what REALLY gets me is people who are fanatics about ANY kind of religion.
    No matter how much I like her, I feel like saying "alright, I've had it with this crap, we're gonna have a discussion and if it takes me YEARS, I'll convince you otherwise!", but what's the point, some people choose to believe childish, made-up nonsense and I have to "respect" that.
    That would be the next point. We're supposed to respect stupid people, "because all opinions are valid".
    No they're not!
    Because of this mindset we have Trump, Brexit and right-wing politics on the rise.

*as an esteemed colleague, kind of a platonic crush.

People who believe that just because someone supports Trump they are a racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

DanDan6592 wrote: »

It's not automatic but it's often a good hint. I certainly have no interest in spending much time with any of his fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Wonder if you've the same reaction to motorists parked on double yellow lines, on footpaths, in bus Lanes, on cyclepaths, in disabled parking spaces without a blue badge, in bus stop, double parked.

Yes, why wouldn't I?
    You assume too much.

Get off the footpath, there's enough wobbling nuisances on it as it is. Had a tiff with some asshat who insisted on cycling on a narrow footpath when the industrial estate roadway (and a very wide one at that) was almost traffic free, and expected me to sidestep him. The entitlement was mind boggling.

washing machine/shower between midnight-7am in an apartment building

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

There’s a few. A lot now that I think about it. I’ll try distill it down to three:

- Fanaticism: Religious fanatics especially. I avoid like the plague. I find anyone who is excessively obsessed and preachy about anything very off putting, sometimes worrying, sometimes scary. From Gambling to diet choice to sexual orientation.

- Dishonesty: Sneaky ratfaced reptillian actions. Everyone exaggerates, white lies etc there’s huge grey area. But... if the goal is undermining someone, harming someone or I guess an attempt to deflect from their own being a **** I have zero time for it.

- Thieving: The act of it and the attempts to justify it. Work for what you have/want. If you cannot/will not do that then be content with what you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

You honestly think I'm going to plough into someone walking up Mobhi road....which is uphill. Also it's a pretty wide footpath.

My safety is paramount....so yeah "me me me".

It's uphill both ways? Amazing!

At least you acknowledge your selfishness...

I sat in on a lecture once in college because i had a couple of hours free between classes. The lecturer was a barrister, a big loud mouth who had a very high opinion of himself, roaring at students over nothing, making fun of first years, a big bully really.

I mentioned him to several people who had to take that class, most said oh yeah hes an a$$hole etc but one guy said "oh yeah, i think hes hilarious" There is always people who say things like that about bullies like that lecturer. These are the people i lose respect for, how can anyone think people like that are hilarious or say they like them?

At least you acknowledge your selfishness...

Let me break it down for you,

Downhill in the morning at 6.30 in the bus lane, uphill in the afternoon at 4.30 with much heavier traffic.

I'll explain Mobhi Road to you......3 lanes.....2 inbound one of which is a bus lane.....1 out bound lane.

It was never designed for 3 lanes.

The out bound lane is barely wide enough for a bus.

It's not wide enough to accommodate a cyclist and car side by side or even for a motorist to overtake a cyclists.

Add to that the design of the road on the left hand side at the edge of the road makes it a dangerous road for a cyclists .

How about you get a bike and go up a few times between 4.30 and 6pm and experience the road. You'll quickly move off the road and become as selfish and me.

37 R108
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/8NsA6K8mQFYEMe199

people who look up to sports stars, comedians, actors like they are Gods.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

DanDan6592 wrote: »

Oh I know. There are so many other reasons.
    Stupidity, malice, "sticking it to them libtards" (spite), showing women who's boss around here (only physical violence now counts as assault), hatred of Muslims, a desire to dismantle education, social welfare, environmentalism, foreign relations, hatred of the LGBT scene, the list goes on.
    No one who voted for that cnut did so because it was something positive to do, but always the above.
    I don't care who it is, if they support Trump, they deserve no respect.
    He is everything that is wrong with the world.
    But he is not the disease, he is the symptom. He is a caricature of what we all have become.
    It is a world of Me! Me! Me! and fcuk everyone and everything else. Your personal gain is more important than anything else and if you can get yourself some 2% extra by trampling onto someone less fortunate than you, you jump on them with both feet.
    Fcuk poor people, minorities, women (in more ways than one then discard them), friends, allies, just make sure you come out on top.
    Funny thing is, 100% of people who voted for Trump will get trampled on if they are in his way to more glory and money for himself.
    That was my rant for today and I hope you all enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Let me break it down for you,

Downhill in the morning at 6.30 in the bus lane, uphill in the afternoon at 4.30 with much heavier traffic.

I'll explain Mobhi Road to you......3 lanes.....2 inbound one of which is a bus lane.....1 out bound lane.

It was never designed for 3 lanes.

The out bound lane is barely wide enough for a bus.

It's not wide enough to accommodate a cyclist and car side by side or even for a motorist to overtake a cyclists.

Add to that the design of the road on the left hand side at the edge of the road makes it a dangerous road for a cyclists .

How about you get a bike and go up a few times between 4.30 and 6pm and experience the road. You'll quickly move off the road and become as selfish and me.

37 R108
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/8NsA6K8mQFYEMe199

That's all great and all but you're still cycling on a footpath and you shouldn't be.

Loads of roads are designed badly or obsolete but that's not a free pass for everyone to do whatever they feel like.

That's all great and all but you're still cycling on a footpath and you shouldn't be.

Loads of roads are designed badly or obsolete but that's not a free pass for everyone to do whatever they feel like.

Of course I know that but I had number of unpleasant experiences cycling up that hill due to the impatience of motorists and being overtaken with very little space

I decided i was not going to put myself in that position again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

People who support Sinn Féin and the IRA

Attractive, intelligent, sane - pick any two.

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Censored11

People who can't wait to pay more carbon tax.

Of course I know that but I had number of unpleasant experiences cycling up that hill due to the impatience of motorists and being overtaken with very little space

I decided i was not going to put myself in that position again.

Like I already said, but you ignored, if you want to use the FOOTpath then dismount, push the bike and use your feet. Anything else is being a selfish asshole who is bullying the only form of road user life-form weaker than you, the pedestrian.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

"Would that be the Mad Road, Ted?"

200px-Father_Dougal_McGuire_portrait.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,509 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

People who use the acronym FFG instead of FF\FG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I think all motorists should have to cycle even a little bit on public roads as part of getting their licence, just so they can understand why a cyclist may not be able to cycle within an inch or two from the kerb (debris, drainage shores with a 2 inch drop, streams of water when raining, etc).
    Like I already said, but you ignored, if you want to use the FOOTpath then dismount, push the bike and use your feet. Anything else is being a selfish asshole who is bullying the only form of road user life-form weaker than you, the pedestrian.
    You keep emphasising FOOTpaths. When cycling, I use each FOOT to propel my bike. If people called them walkways or even WALKpaths, I'd never consider cycling on them!

I sometimes cycle on the path but only in areas where there are few or no pedestrians, and that have bad road surfaces and impatient/bad drivers. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭TheDavester

People who like (Irish) country music

Advertisement