Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What practice/beliefs make you instantly lose respect for someone?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

The ex has a habit of being sadistically rude to people who call to the door. canvassers , charity collectors etc.He'd be charming to waiters and full of manners to retail staff, maybe it's the door to door ones who get it because nobody else can witness him being ignorant .

They're a blight, people can't be ignorant enough to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,887 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Many of them are just trying to do a job, you could always ask them to politely leave

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Many of them are just trying to do a job, you could always ask them to politely leave

And some do. Some don't without pushing further, especially utility sales.

All these dirtbag politicians and their cronies are an awful nuisance at the moment.

And some do. Some don't without pushing further, especially utility sales.

All these dirtbag politicians and their cronies are an awful nuisance at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,887 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Again, these folks are just doing a job, politeness is a better approach, you could put a sign up asking them not to call, canvassing must be an awful job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    G.A.A. fanaticism. People who only talk G.A.A. and nothing else. Also people who play G.A.A. for Ballygobackwards and strut around like they are a striker for Barcelona.

Yeah can't stand those GAA players that play the ground game. Against the spirit of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

You can't get rid of chuggers on the street though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

The ex has a habit of being sadistically rude to people who call to the door. canvassers , charity collectors etc.He'd be charming to waiters and full of manners to retail staff, maybe it's the door to door ones who get it because nobody else can witness him being ignorant .

Many charity collectors and door-to-door salesman use bullying, intimidation and harassment to try to persuade the person to "buy".

They make people feel uncomfortable in their own homes

How about this - if I want your services, I'll come to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

'Zactly. Door-to-door 'selling'/panhandling should be illegal.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 JoeEJ

People who just follow a crowd and are not true to themself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

JoeEJ wrote: »
    People who just follow a crowd and are not true to themself.

Yes. Completely with you on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 JoeEJ

Yes. Completely with you on that.

You better be.. or else....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

This is the main one for me it tells me so much about the person.

In particular people who are born and rared in Ireland, that make a deliberate and conscious effort to say TG 'four' = TG4.
    Would it kill you to say 'ceathair'?

You can make the argument of course that they are translating the Irish word to English, and it has the correct meaning.

Yet the really galling thing is those people who make the conscious effort to say 'four' have no problem saying the following:

1) Luas (which means speed - ironic really as it is not very fast)

2) Dáil (which means assembly)

3) Oireachtas (which means assembly/gathering)

4) Taoiseach (which means chief/chieftain)

5) Garda (which means guard)

There used to be channel called TV5 in France now TV5monde. TV5 = TV 'cinq'.

Even a fella like me who has very little French would say 'Cinq' because that is what the French say.
    It's the station's name even I know it means five!

When I hear an Irish person in particular say 'TG four' it immediately tells me a lot about them and thier mindset, without them having to say much more.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Giving out about the "Blacks" hear it a lot from taxi drivers.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Pro lifers and people that aren't "dog" people!!!

'Dog people' are always ones to look out for in my experience.
    Especially the women 'dog people' with no kids.....

Be afraid, be very afraid.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Giving out about the "Blacks" hear it a lot from taxi drivers.

You can largely disregard anything you hear from taxi drivers - some of them have actually become a parody of themselves at this stage!

razorblunt wrote: »
    Anti-Vaxxers
    Tommy Robinson / Nigel Farage supporters
    Those Neo Ireland similar FB page followers
    Folk into hunting

The internet has just made me learn yet another new trendy term - 'Anti-Vaxxers'
    I had to search that meaning.
    I assumed first it was people who never shaved thier body hair.

That has saved me from potential embarrassment in polite conversation that's for sure.

Oh jayz. I'm going canvassing this evening. This should bode well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I won't be in, I swear. Its not just that I see a politician coming and ignore the bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

52 pages that I didn't read, so probably most already mentioned.
    1. Vegans ("eating meat is so bad for the planet, now where am I flying off on for my holidays and where can I get some vitamin supplements which are produced carbon free?". Or "I am certain there is somebody in this world who I haven't told I'm a vegan").
    2. Staunchly religious / atheist views. You are entitled to your opinion, no need to bore everybody either way or to run the opposite side down.
    3. People who think you can't have a contrarian view on anything without shouting them down (e.g. Trump, Repeal, whatever. Basically, the Twitter mob)
    4. Racists.

Basically, anybody who is staunchly pro/against anything.

• Advertisement

Anyone who has a positive opinion of Trump or his supporters.

People who cannot see the other-side of the coin and see how Trump played the election superbly, annoy me if I am honest.
    You have to give credit to the fella for winning when he was given no chance and laughed at.

Going from complete outsider even to get nominated, to President of the United States.

A billionaire who has managed to style himself as a straight talking, anti-establishment, man of the people'. Amazing marketing.

There are other viewpoints in the world and Trump expertly tapped into those, made publicity for himself, used social media, gave simple messages etc etc.

Meanwhile there was Hillary...... The best she could come up with in reply to try and make herself seem like a 'woman of the people' 'My great-grandfather the coal miner...'

Even in the face of all Trump's 'scandals' he still managed to win.
    This made it an even more incredible campaign, exceptionally played by Trump is a massive achievement.
    But the fact he won says a lot more about what is wrong with the American political system than it does about Donald J. Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The internet has just made me learn yet another new trendy term - 'Anti-Vaxxers'
    I had to search that meaning.

That has saved me from potential embarrassment in polite conversation that's for sure.

As long its not a text conversation you would have been fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

:D:D:D:D Why did you assume that?

Would they not be anti shavers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

You can largely disregard anything you hear from taxi drivers - some of them have actually become a parody of themselves at this stage!

What are you insinuating Bud?

:D:D:D:D Why did you assume that?

Would they not be anti shavers?

God knows, I thought it was some 'new-age hippie' thing and 'vax' wax was the closest thing I could think of :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Anyone who has a normal name but chooses to butcher it into something posh and pretentious

• Registered Users Posts: 16,149 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

People who cannot see the other-side of the coin and see how Trump played the election superbly, annoy me if I am honest.
    You have to give credit to the fella for winning when he was given no chance and laughed at.

Going from complete outsider even to get nominated, to President of the United States.

A billionaire who has managed to style himself as a straight talking, anti-establishment, man of the people'. Amazing marketing.

There are other viewpoints in the world and Trump expertly tapped into those, made publicity for himself, used social media, gave simple messages etc etc.

Meanwhile there was Hillary...... The best she could come up with in reply to try and make herself seem like a 'woman of the people' 'My great-grandfather the coal miner...'

Even in the face of all Trump's 'scandals' he still managed to win.
    This made it an even more incredible campaign, exceptionally played by Trump is a massive achievement.
    But the fact he won says a lot more about what is wrong with the American political system than it does about Donald J. Trump.

There are plenty of assholes out there that have done impressive things. That doesn't mean that they should get out support and the poster did say anyone with a positive view of Trump or his supporters.

He's just passed 10,000 lies in office and there's plenty of people who think he's honest. they're all idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

Ooh, for whom?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

When I hear an Irish person in particular say 'TG four' it immediately tells me a lot about them and thier mindset, without them having to say much more.

What about those of us who still call it TnaG?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭pgj2015

This is the main one for me it tells me so much about the person.

In particular people who are born and rared in Ireland, that make a deliberate and conscious effort to say TG 'four' = TG4.
    Would it kill you to say 'ceathair'?

You can make the argument of course that they are translating the Irish word to English, and it has the correct meaning.

Yet the really galling thing is those people who make the conscious effort to say 'four' have no problem saying the following:

1) Luas (which means speed - ironic really as it is not very fast)

2) Dáil (which means assembly)

3) Oireachtas (which means assembly/gathering)

4) Taoiseach (which means chief/chieftain)

5) Garda (which means guard)

There used to be channel called TV5 in France now TV5monde. TV5 = TV 'cinq'.

Even a fella like me who has very little French would say 'Cinq' because that is what the French say.
    It's the station's name even I know it means five!

Talk about a first world problem.

Advertisement