Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mexico Vs Ulster ultimate epic super build up thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

That game had everything. It was brilliant to watch.

Such a pity for Stockdale. He was magnificent otherwise and was close to scoring one of the all time great European tries.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Suspectman123

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Thought Ulster were brilliant. They hounded us and forced us into all kinds of mistakes.
    That said, Leinster need to turn the scoreboard over. Going to the corner is costing them.
    I think they may have left 9 points out there today. Ulster were defending the maul quite well.
    Cronin just is not a good thrower. Leinster looked fairly poor at there own l/o. It's baffling. I can't understand how Cronin still has problems with his throwing?
    Conan and Luke were excellent! Hard to believe that Leavy got hurt! Absolutely gutting for Leinster and Ireland.
    Awful mistake by Stockdale! He's going to rue that. I think he's probably the only wing that could have gotten into that position. Absolutely devastating run and strength.
    McCloskey is just phenomenal. A beast of a man.
    The Ulster pack were great. The back row in particular. I thought Jordi was fantastic. I thought he outplayed SOB.
    Ringrose was poor. 1st time I have seen him struggle like that.
    Kudos to Mick Kearney. He was very good when he came on. He's back to where he was a couple of years back.
    I also think that Treacy has got to start the semifinals. Cronin is really struggling at the set piece.

Cronin lost one lineout from 8, hardly a shocking return
    Second most meters gained in the starting 15 and Leinster scrum was totally dominant with him in it, 2 penalties if I remember
    Pretty sure Tracy missed hook for last scrum and that’s why we got turned over for a penalty

• Registered Users Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Updated stats has James Ryan down for 27 tackles and 21 carries. He's becoming everything Paul Smeenus ever dreamed of.

The guy is simply a freak at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

A great night of rugby. Found myself in a sea of Ulster fans and they were great craic.

Whatever McFarland said to his team in the buildup, it worked. They were at a different level of intensity to Leinster.

Reading back on the thread, I see everyone is being very kind about Stockdale. I would be absolutely fuming if I was an Ulster fan. That was inexcusable. It would have made the score 18-11 with the conversion to come and we would have struggled to get back into it. It's a shame because he was brilliant otherwise, but absolutely criminal.

Leinster badly miss Henshaw. There's no balance in the midfield without him, ROL, Reid and Ringrose are all too similar. Tomane or COB might be a better option.

Conan was immense, I've been unconvinced about his ability to compete in a dog-fight but fair play to him, he was great. James Ryan was his usual freakish self.

One of Ulster's standouts was Herring, he seemed to be everywhere.

Overall, a cracking game and a shame that one team has to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Yeah I don't think Ulster fans are delighted with stockdale but we can't complain. We would never be here without him. Plus no other winger on the pitch makes that kind of run to manufacture the chance. He will learn. Hopefully fires him up for the league

• Advertisement

The mistake from Stockdale was awful but the conceded penalty at the scrum afterwards compounded it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Cronin lost one lineout from 8, hardly a shocking return
    Second most meters gained in the starting 15 and Leinster scrum was totally dominant with him in it, 2 penalties if I remember
    Pretty sure Tracy missed hook for last scrum and that’s why we got turned over for a penalty
    The recent conversation about Cronin inevitably matches up his broken play running versus his lineout throwing. The former is still a real asset for Leinster, the latter is an unknown risk. Not knowing what stats he might have on that score is a downside. He's also 33 and that speed may not last for too many more seasons. Treacy is fine in most lower intensity matches but might be time to add yet another Byrne to the regular roster!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

This game just shows us how terrible the Pro14 interpros have become in comparison.

If every game was played at that intensity there would be so many injuries that you'd need a hundred players in a squad

In. The. Horrors.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Good shout, the class of the man having time to fix up his pants before offloading for the winning try.....

He's no Donnacha O Callahan who would happily play naked if it meant winning in Europe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭Buer

In. The. Horrors.
    I can't do this anymore. Off to throw up on myself in the shower.

Still feel better than Stockdale does.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Yeah I don't think Ulster fans are delighted with stockdale but we can't complain. We would never be here without him. Plus no other winger on the pitch makes that kind of run to manufacture the chance. He will learn. Hopefully fires him up for the league

Condemning him.is a waste of energy. He knows he f*****d up (look at him at the end of the game, he was devastated) and so does everyone else.

As you say it may fire up for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

bilston wrote: »
    Condemning him.is a waste of energy. He knows he f*****d up (look at him at the end of the game, he was devastated) and so does everyone else.

I'd actually point to him being caught for the Leinster try but I suppose it was the whole defence. Still needs a lot of work there. He'll get over the try when he realises he's in good company!

Buer wrote: »
    I can't do this anymore. Off to throw up on myself in the shower.

Still feel better than Stockdale does.

*LOUD NOISES*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

From an Ulster pov, what was really reassuring was that when Best had to go off early doors, we didn't lose direction or focus. There's definitely another tier of leaders emerging in that team, with Hendo at its head.

I'm too lazy, but it's be interesting to see the comparative age profiles of the two teams. Our back three and back three replacement were 22 (Stockdale), 21 (Balacoune), 20 (Lowry) and 19 (Kernohan).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

is_that_so wrote: »
    bilston wrote: »

I'd actually point to him being caught for the Leinster try but I suppose it was the whole defence. Still needs a lot of work there. He'll get over the try when he realises he's in good company!

If you watch stockdale he does that one handed touch down quite alot. I think it's cause more often than not he's miles ahead of tacklers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

*LOUD NOISES*

He has kids, that’s a given.

Anyone know what Leinster’s tweet about an incident during the game involving the Gardaí is about?

• Administrators Posts: 53,379 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

stephen_n wrote: »
    He has kids, that’s a given.

Anyone know what Leinster’s tweet about an incident during the game involving the Gardaí is about?

I believe there was a Leinster fan shouting some pretty unsavoury stuff, about the provos and the likes. Was ejected by the Gardai.

Too much to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

awec wrote: »
    I believe there was a Leinster fan shouting some pretty unsavoury stuff, about the provos and the likes. Was ejected by the Gardai.

Too much to drink.

Twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

When Leavy replaced SOB I was thinking "sh*t we're in for trouble now". SOB really has fallen behind these younger guys now and offers very little of a threat now. Genuinely gutted for Leavy though...He's a special player and by the sounds of it the injury is bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

mfceiling wrote: »
    When Leavy replaced SOB I was thinking "sh*t we're in for trouble now". SOB really has fallen behind these younger guys now and offers very little of a threat now. Genuinely gutted for Leavy though...He's a special player and by the sounds of it the injury is bad.

It looked like SOB thought he would be coming back on for Leavy, but it was then changed for Mick Kearney.

Kind of wish they had brought SOB back on, he was fairly ineffective.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Too much to drink.

:o there’s always one moron

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

A moment that stuck out to me was when Leinster got the penalty from the 5m scrum after Stockdale's non-try. Conan was the most vocal of the players leading the pats on the back. I'd have had him down as being one of the more reserved players but yesterday it really looked like he's becoming more of a leader in the group and is more at home in big games like that. Stander beware.

stephen_n wrote: »
    :o there’s always one moron

Ah yea I don’t really know why Leinster felt the need to publicise it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

It looked like SOB thought he would be coming back on for Leavy, but it was then changed for Mick Kearney.

Kind of wish they had brought SOB back on, he was fairly ineffective.

Surely SOB could only come on if it was a HIA for Leavy? And it wasn't. It was a leg injury.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Ah yea I don’t really know why Leinster felt the need to publicise it.

Probably because Twitter is alight with it so they were better off dealing with it at the start rather than have to deal with the speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭leakyboots

baas baa wrote: »
    A moment that stuck out to me was when Leinster got the penalty from the 5m scrum after Stockdale's non-try. Conan was the most vocal of the players leading the pats on the back. I'd have had him down as being one of the more reserved players but yesterday it really looked like he's becoming more of a leader in the group and is more at home in big games like that. Stander beware.

Ah, so that's why CJ upped his pat-on-the-back-and-shout-encouragement game during the Six Nations :p:pac:

sullivlo wrote: »
    Surely SOB could only come on if it was a HIA for Leavy? And it wasn't. It was a leg injury.

Oh yea, true.

• Advertisement

sullivlo wrote: »

Yeah, SOB wasn't allowed back on

Advertisement