Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mexico Vs Ulster ultimate epic super build up thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

This game just shows us how terrible the Pro14 interpros have become in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,235 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

This game just shows us how terrible the Pro14 interpros have become in comparison.

Also think it's exactly why the IRFU are keen for them to be not like this given the injury toll

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Clegg wrote: »
    Ryan made more tackles and carried more than any Leinster player on the pitch. Simply phenomenal. But really the whole front five were very good. Worked tirelessly all game. And Ulster's matched them blow for blow.

Best provincial derby I've seen in a long time.
    Best interpro in years. Two teams properly going at it, nobody minding themselves. A joy to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

Can't agree. He blew it.

Consider watching soccer instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,821 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Think I would've given Ross Byrne motm for having the balls to take the final kick when he was clearly injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

• Subscribers Posts: 41,161 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Think I would've given Ross Byrne motm for having the balls to take the final kick when he was clearly injured.

Who got it?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Conan

is_that_so wrote: »
    Conan

Good shout, the class of the man having time to fix up his pants before offloading for the winning try.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,821 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I also think Adam Byrne gave his Ireland prospects a shot in the arm. Contested the high ball excellently and took the try well. Defence still needs work, but he has a lot of upside to his game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I also think Adam Byrne gave his Ireland prospects a shot in the arm. Contested the high ball excellently and took the try well. Defence still needs work, but he has a lot of upside to his game.

Noticed for the first that he was calling people into defensive positions around rucks instead of the other way round. He's definitely continuing to develop into a very, very good player.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Excellent game. The atmosphere was unreal.

Ulster were magnificent but it has to be said that they were getting away with a tremendous amount of ****housery. The offside line doesn't exist anymore. Still, if Poite isn't going to police it then why would you stop?

They were class and I'm gutted for Stockdale. But he's had a habit of these showboating touchdowns for ages. You've done the hard work, get the ****ing ball down. It's not as bad as Freddie Burns but it's pretty bad. Still, he's young and really bright. I don't think he'll ever make the mistake again.

Leinster still looking off the boil and I don't think they'll win again without a big improvement. Ringrose had a rare 'mare. Byrne's passing was absolutely all over the place as well. Larmour is very poor with the ball in hand once he reaches the defense he has an awful habit of not committing to a line, waiting for the space to open. He often gets put on his arse as a result and he has very little offloading and passing game.

Ulster are going to be very competitive in the Pro14 playoffs methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

troyzer wrote: »
    Excellent game. The atmosphere was unreal.

Ulster were magnificent but it has to be said that they were getting away with a tremendous amount of ****housery

Thanks...we are finally playing like all the top teams...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Thanks...we are finally playing like all the top teams...

Oh it was a compliment. Henderson in particular was magnificent.

But Poite really did have an awful game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Either Racing or Toulouse will beat Leinster in France IMHO. Looking forward to their clash tomorrow.

Either Racing or Toulouse will beat Leinster in France IMHO. Looking forward to their clash tomorrow.

Toulouse win means that they play in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,944 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Ulster's tackling stats are off the charts - five of the pack had 20+, Cooney alone had 19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭A-Train

Yes get in Leinster! Such a tough match, onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭tbm

Delighted we won and am looking forward to catching the highlights later, but I’m so disappointed for Leavy. He was a key part of everything that went right with Leinster and Irish Rugby in 2018. Very cruel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Some of the bs comments on here make me wonder are some guys just trolling or on crack or something???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Some of the bs comments on here make me wonder are some guys just trolling or on crack or something???

??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

mfceiling wrote: »
    ??

Just the unbelievably negative comments attacking players and teams and missing the mark completely

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Just the unbelievably negative comments attacking players and teams and missing the mark completely

Ah I wouldn't pay much heed. Stockdale royally fcuked up but these things happen....Shouldn't happen but hey ho.
    It was a great game and for the 1st time in ages I actually felt when they went behind they still had a chance to score to win. Genuinely not despondent at all...The result was bad but the performance was great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Great to be there as a Leinster fan. Atmosphere was unreal.

Just came away though with the feeling that it was a game that Ulster lost....it was theirs for the taking,

Still a win is a win as they say .

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

I hope Leinster don't lose, but if we do and Darren Cave is the difference between the teams it will be absolutely hilarious. Having a great game so far, Ulster centres the better that half.

Interesting to see if Ulster can keep this up for 40 more minutes, little separating the teams so far.
    Whats the whole Darren Cave thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Just back. Atmosphere unreal, Ulster fans really turned up today. Outsung the Leinster crowd most of the match (except during the last 10 minutes perhaps) it seemed from my area of the stands.

Much like the team. Defense was at an unreal pace, pressuring Leinster and having us cough up points we normally wouldn't. Leinster didn't really get into it properly until the second half, spent a lot of the first making mistakes at crucial moments. That being said, Ulster didn't really have a whole lot going forward, Leinster had them well marshalled most of the time.

Stockdale's finish, had he got it down, would have been fantastic, powered through a few (poor) attempted tackles, no idea why he wasn't trying to get it down sooner though. Hope it doesn't affect him too much, he wasn't the losing of the game by any stretch. The second Ulster try though, it went out to a two on one with the line begging and the Ulster fans in front of me jumped up, I didn't bother as it was a nailed on score. Then when the cheer didn't come, I was thinking "what the ..." then it came a few seconds later. Really should have been a more straightforward score, Marshall is blessed he got it down.

Leinster's purple patch in that second half was good and all, but it was odd. We scored, and then we were smashing Ulster players back in the tackle, things looked to have swung decisively, then Ulster just looked to go "**** it, let's go again" and we were on the back foot (around the time of the Leavy injury, poor f*cker).

Kudos to Byrne for stepping up and taking that last kick, from high up in the stands, it wasn't clear how injured he was but looking back at it... great balls. Nailed it through the centre too, best kick of the day from him. Then the presence of mind to maintain posession in the Ulster 22 for the last 4 minutes, that was great to see. Leinster seemed to be sealing off a little, but then again Ulster were offside for most of that phase, so swings and roundabouts, I suppose. It's the kind of thing you don't really see these days as the ref seems to want to blow it up. I suppose the fact it was in the 22 helped, and we were going for the score as much as running the clock down.

All in all, great match, looking forward to watching it back in full, great game Ulster. Leinster will need to improve a lot for the semi against Racing or Toulouse. Can't see us going to France (if we have to) and winning unless there's a fairly serious step up in intensity.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

There was a very vocal man behind me spouting about how ****e Adam Byrne is. His biggest rant came just before the try. Egg on his face and quiet for ages after.

Great game. Great atmosphere.

Anyone else find it very disconcerting to be kicking the ball dead from under the opposition posts.

Credit

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Ross Byrne is a match winner.

He didn’t have his best game today, but he was the difference in the end. He missed easier kicks than that one and he took it while injured. Absolute balls of steel and there’s no other out half in the country outside of Sexton that wins games like Byrne does. How many more times does he have to deliver on the big occasion and provide the big moments before people realise how crucial he is?

James Ryan, Rhys Ruddock, Scott Farry and Jack Conan all excellent. Conan is so incredibly under-rated that it’s criminal.

I feel so bad for Leavy. He’s had no luck this year and that’s probably him done for the World Cup as well. Hopefully he can recover and come back firing because he was everywhere until that happened.

Ulster players and supporters were all brilliant today. Had a chat with a couple of them after the game and they made no excuses. I mentioned the Stockdale try and they said that they believed it wouldn’t have changed the outcome. Sound lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Thought Ulster were brilliant. They hounded us and forced us into all kinds of mistakes.
    That said, Leinster need to turn the scoreboard over. Going to the corner is costing them.
    I think they may have left 9 points out there today. Ulster were defending the maul quite well.
    Cronin just is not a good thrower. Leinster looked fairly poor at there own l/o. It's baffling. I can't understand how Cronin still has problems with his throwing?
    Conan and Luke were excellent! Hard to believe that Leavy got hurt! Absolutely gutting for Leinster and Ireland.
    Awful mistake by Stockdale! He's going to rue that. I think he's probably the only wing that could have gotten into that position. Absolutely devastating run and strength.
    McCloskey is just phenomenal. A beast of a man.
    The Ulster pack were great. The back row in particular. I thought Jordi was fantastic. I thought he outplayed SOB.
    Ringrose was poor. 1st time I have seen him struggle like that.
    Kudos to Mick Kearney. He was very good when he came on. He's back to where he was a couple of years back.
    I also think that Treacy has got to start the semifinals. Cronin is really struggling at the set piece.

Advertisement