Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mexico Vs Ulster ultimate epic super build up thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I had possibly the best experience I have at the Aviva in the last 5+ years.
    A few lads sat down beside me for a few beers. The usual, get up sit down as the lads needed a wee wee or get the next round. Now, the lads were all decent folk who had some interest in the game but like a lot of fans like to enjoy a few beers during the match.

I asked one of them, would they mind swapping places at half time, so they'll be on the aisle side and me and my son could move further in. Then, at half time, my wish came true. We swapped place and then it was 38 minutes - with no stand up sit down whatsoever. Absolute bliss. The last stand up was for another family beside me who wanted to leave early.

The lads who swapped were really sound and I think if anyone finds the stand up / sit down a bit demanding on their OCD, try this approach. Then, people who like a few rounds are cool and fans with the higher levels of OCD still enjoy the game.

Anyway, thanks again lads - really decent and very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ulster certainly didn't deserve the win more. They played well but they were also fortunate to be as close as they were

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I had possibly the best experience I have at the Aviva in the last 5+ years.
    A few lads sat down beside me for a few beers. The usual, get up sit down as the lads needed a wee wee or get the next round. Now, the lads were all decent folk who had some interest in the game but like a lot of fans like to enjoy a few beers during the match.

I asked one of them, would they mind swapping places at half time, so they'll be on the aisle side and me and my son could move further in. Then, at half time, my wish came true. We swapped place and then it was 38 minutes - with no stand up sit down whatsoever. Absolute bliss. The last stand up was for another family beside me who wanted to leave early.

The lads who swapped were really sound and I think if anyone finds the stand up / sit down a bit demanding on their OCD, try this approach. Then, people who like a few rounds are cool and fans with the higher levels of OCD still enjoy the game.

Anyway, thanks again lads - really decent and very much appreciated.

Sometimes it's easy to get riled up when a simple chat with decent spuds will remedy it. I'm sure they were happier not to have to push past people and feel self-conscious.

Anyone remember when Furlong kicked the ball?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Yeah. On his left foot too. :D

GAA skillz ftw. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Didn't he also lead the chase, or was that on a different occasion? Caught up with ball pretty quickly. Didn't give the Ulster carrier much time to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,141 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Clegg wrote: »
    Didn't he also lead the chase, or was that on a different occasion? Caught up with ball pretty quickly. Didn't give the Ulster carrier much time to work with.

That was a different one. He chased a kick from the base of a ruck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Sometimes it's easy to get riled up when a simple chat with decent spuds will remedy it. I'm sure they were happier not to have to push past people and feel self-conscious.

Absolutely. Hence the sharing.

Reality is the lads who are going for the beers are trying to achieve two things - beers with the mates and watch the match. Theyre trade offs.

But, I'd suggest most rugby people are reasonable. If we encourage others to ask and switch and people get used to it, it's win win or everyone. you don't have to feel awkard getting up for the next round and you get to be more engrossed in the match if you are not having beers.

Still prefer the old days where lads just brought a hip flask. The Aviva is creaming off people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Absolutely. Hence the sharing.

Reality is the lads who are going for the beers are trying to achieve two things - beers with the mates and watch the match. Theyre trade offs.

But, I'd suggest most rugby people are reasonable. If we encourage others to ask and switch and people get used to it, it's win win or everyone. you don't have to feel awkard getting up for the next round and you get to be more engrossed in the match if you are not having beers.

Still prefer the old days where lads just brought a hip flask. The Aviva is creaming off people.

We'd a hip flask at Ravenspan, at the Southern Kings game. As long as you're buying pints as well, they don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Is havign the ball ripped a knockon? Seems pretty straight forward to referee.

It's similar to the ones sometimes you see at the back of rucks. The say it's not a knockon if the ball goes backwards but sometimes you'll see the ball slip through a players hands and it'll be called a knockon or they are using their hand in a ruck and the ball dribbles back and it's a knock on.

• Advertisement

I rewatched the game this morning because why not? I missed a lot of stuff the first time. The biggest thing being Dave Kearney's fine game. He's not the biggest or fastest, but he scraps for everything on and off the ball. His catch and angled run from Byrne's kick pass was a highlight.

Incidentally, I think Poite missed a trick there. Looked like Balacoune never rolled away after tackling.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

Remember when Cian Healy first came back from long term injury and put in a lot of frustrating, off the boil performances, but eventually came good and hit his previous performance levels.. it could just be a case of that for SOB hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Oh, no doubt. They certainly are. And their strength in depth is phenomenal for a club team. But what they got last night was a reminder that you still have to work damn hard to win against lesser teams who are willing to give everything to beat you, and have figured a good game plan to disrupt you. Rugby holds little room for complacency. They will have to up their game if they are to overcome Toulouse, so it will be interesting to see if they learned their lesson.

A downside of Leinster's situation is that they dont really have to fight for many games in a season. Before last night, they had effectively only had 2 or 3 tough games that mattered. All Pro 14 games, are pretty much practice games - there is no pressure in losing one - qualifying was a done deal from the start, and many teams fielded are far far from the 1st choice, and really just development games for the 2nd and 3rd string. That can become a bad habit. And when you meet a different proposition as Ulster were yesterday, in a knock out game where there is no next week, it can be a jolt to the system. But the system held, if only just. And despite the extensive injury list. So that is a good thing.

Leinster have a huge target on their back. Every clubs/province raises their game when they play Leinster. It was mentioned before by Darcy I think about how they couldnt understand why Connacht could play incredible against Leinster one week and be poor the next week....every game is a battle. See how team celebrate after beating Leinster.

I am not sure why anyone would say they are practise games, if anything a number of positions are open on the team now so players who might have thought they wouldn;t have a chance are suddenly looking at it and saying if I play well in game XYZ then I could make the team.

To be fair most season Leinster losing a game in Pro 14 is hardly going to put a huge dent into their chances. They are fairly certain before a ball is kicked they will make it into the playoffs. Not been big headed but they are one of the favorites. Munster can say the same.

I don't see why they would now suddenly decide, ahh sure f**k it, and start to lose games.They got beat in Edinburgh by a better team, but they lost to Edinburgh last year in the same fixture.

Ulster showed up yesterday, but so did Saracens last year in the same fixture.

Toulouse will be a huge challange but so was Scarlets last year.

Leinster have a few weeks to regroup. Get Henshaw/Sexton/R Kearney etc back into the team and then kick on from their.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Yeah. On his left foot too. :D

GAA skillz ftw. ;)

Do you remember the timestamp of it? Wouldn't mind seeing it again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Its in the twitter link a few posts up.
    Furlong gave Ringrose a lesson in how to kick yesterday. He's that good.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

#PropLife

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1112317487453032448?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Burkie1203 wrote: »

They really are some quality photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

When was the last time both Kearneys were available and Dave started ahead of Rob?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,821 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Just think how much more the Aviva could cream off people if they ran their bars properly? I was in the premium last night and half an hour before kickoff the queue was 20 deep. They need a fast pour system and segregated cashiers.

Also Rockshore is pish, glad im a Guinness drinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Just think how much more the Aviva could cream off people if they ran their bars properly? I was in the premium last night and half an hour before kickoff the queue was 20 deep. They need a fast pour system and segregated cashiers.

They've fast pour in most of the bars except for premium, a lot of the premium crowd would be giving out about fast pour pints. Queues for the cashiers could definitely be managed a bit better.

The bar closest to our section actually ran out of Guinness before the game even started. Plus they didn't have one bottle opener between them for when someone ordered a cider. Bunch of kids pouring drinks who clearly didn't know what they were doing. Was a bit of a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Larbre34 wrote: »

Its fast pour stadium wide already.
    And you have designated cashiers and pourers. Cant do much more to speed it up
    They've fast pour in most of the bars except for premium, a lot of the premium crowd would be giving out about fast pour pints. Queues for the cashiers could definitely be managed a bit better.
    Lot of crowd all over give out about fast pour pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Lot of crowd all over give out about fast pour pints.

Was on the receiving end of it when they first brought it in, was interesting to hear men in their 50s/60s trying to say a pint being poured by the 18 year old college student with no experience, who's rushing through was better than a fast pour.

From experience I'll always be of the opinion that stadium catering/bars is always something to expect the worst and be happy if it's better. They're temporary staff, a lot of which only work there for a season or two, and in most cases are dealing with an absolute swarm of customers at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,821 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

There should be no swarm, the operators need to have the cordon system everywhere so that each cashier gets only one punter at a time but can put their hand on any drink in 5 seconds flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Clegg wrote: »
    The bar closest to our section actually ran out of Guinness before the game even started. Plus they didn't have one bottle opener between them for when someone ordered a cider. Bunch of kids pouring drinks who clearly didn't know what they were doing. Was a bit of a shambles.

I queued for 15 mins before the game at the card only bar thinking it would be quicker. 7 people in front of me...A young one serving who couldn't have been slower. She would amble back to get the drinks, unscrew the lids on bottles like it was solving a rubiks cube and then stared at the till like she was operating the space shuttle. I'm guessing she never had any work experience of a kind before.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What happened to Jack McGrath?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

What happened to Jack McGrath?

He's currently the third best loosehead in Leinster. Nothing has happened to him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

troyzer wrote:
    He's currently the third best loosehead in Leinster. Nothing has happened to him.

I don't buy that. He was a Lion and now he's behind Ed. Byrne.

Surely has to be more to it than a loss of form?

I know he spoken publicly about depression.

Advertisement