Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mexico Vs Ulster ultimate epic super build up thread.

1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Except most of the time Ryan deserves MOTM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

bilston wrote: »
    Ryan is the new POM...if in doubt just give him MOTM whether he deserves it or not. Like it was obvious that Henderson was the best second row on the pitch against France...yet Ryan got MOTM.

Some friendly advice.

Do not start this.

There will be tears before bedtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

There must be some bad vibes in the Leinster camp given the number of players willing to get out of there to come to Ulster.

There is probably substance to that. One certainly doenst move to Ulster for the lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,613 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I don't think Ryan's been forgiven for usurping Henderson yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I am usually very skeptical of young players because this place is riddled with shiny new thing syndrome, but I honestly think Ryan is going to be one of the greatest players we have ever produced.

EPCR just tweeted this, and the mad thing is that these numbers aren't unusual for him.

D3NdCeZXsAAa_GR.jpg

Henderson is also a very very good player. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Edit: jaysus that's a very large picture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I am usually very skeptical of young players because this place is riddled with shiny new thing syndrome, but I honestly think Ryan is going to be one of the greatest players we have ever produced.

EPCR just tweeted this, and the mad thing is that these numbers aren't unusual for him.

He has the rugby brain of a grizzled international with 80+ caps. I can't recall ever seeing him make a bad rugby decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Imagine that twin of his was the same. Lazy good for nothing.*

*i know nothing about him

• Administrators Posts: 53,326 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The only thing about Ryan that worries me is what state his body will be in by the time he hits his late 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,947 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Has he had any injury issues so far in his career? He's a tall fella, back problems would have to be top of the list for possible injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Has he had any injury issues so far in his career? He's a tall fella, back problems would have to be top of the list for possible injuries

Tore his hamstring off the bone in his first season. Missed the whole season with Leinster. Which is why he played for Munster and Ireland before Leinster, prior to touring in the USA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

stephen_n wrote: »
    Tore his hamstring off the bone in his first season. Missed the whole season with Leinster. Which is why he played for Munster and Ireland before Leinster, prior to touring in the USA

So your saying he’s double hard, unlike that wimp POC?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

salmocab wrote: »
    So your saying he’s double hard, unlike that wimp POC?

POC wears James Ryan Pyjamas!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Henderson was also captain after Best went off, and called a lineout that was more successful than Leinster's.

I think he was better on a team that wasn't as good.

Ah there was nothing between the 2 line outs. 10 from 12 as opposed to 6 from 7 is, for all intents and purposes, the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,613 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

awec wrote: »
    The only thing about Ryan that worries me is what state his body will be in by the time he hits his late 20s.

The guys from the 42 Rugby pod made that same point a few months ago. Ryan must change the way he plays if he wants to have a career that stretches into his mid 30's. He can't carry as much as he is and expect to be playing into his 40's like Thorn or Mayfield did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

why has there been no citing for Herbst? was that really a legal clearout?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

MaybeMaybe wrote: »
    why has there been no citing for Herbst? was that really a legal clearout?

It wasn't legal, but it wasn't a red card offense. He's gone now anyway. I've no idea if what he did was part of him leaving, but he's gone nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Clegg wrote: »
    I don't think Ryan's been forgiven for usurping Henderson yet.

To be fair I have gone on record as saying there is every chance that James Ryan will go on to become the best player in the world. I think he is a freak (in a good way) It doesn't mean he is going to be the best player in every match.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

There's not much between Henderson and Ryan imo.
    I think they're streets ahead of all our other locks.
    Of course, Toner is just about undroppable due to his l/o superiority. That's the crux, isn't it. Our set piece is 2nd rate without Toner.
    But, we are fortunate to have Dillane back to his best along with Roux and Treadwell.
    I think the days of locks hitting a century in caps is almost over. I always thought Henderson would make it to 100, but now I have my doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Ryan is the new POM...if in doubt just give him MOTM whether he deserves it or not. Like it was obvious that Henderson was the best second row on the pitch against France...yet Ryan got MOTM.

There there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Buer

To be fair I have gone on record as saying there is every chance that James Ryan will go on to become the best player in the world.

This implies he isn't already. I'm incandescent with rage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Dubinusa wrote: »
    There's not much between Henderson and Ryan imo.
    I think they're streets ahead of all our other locks.
    Of course, Toner is just about undroppable due to his l/o superiority. That's the crux, isn't it. Our set piece is 2nd rate without Toner.
    But, we are fortunate to have Dillane back to his best along with Roux and Treadwell.
    I think the days of locks hitting a century in caps is almost over. I always thought Henderson would make it to 100, but now I have my doubts.

He's already got 44, and only turned 27 at the end of February there. I'll say he'll make it to 100. Off the bench, probably, but I'd say he'll do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

He's already got 44, and only turned 27 at the end of February there. I'll say he'll make it to 100. Off the bench, probably, but I'd say he'll do it.

Another 6 seasons injury free and without his form dropping, he could do it. But 44 caps at 27 years old isn't a huge amount. In comparison Retallick is the same age and has 70 plus.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Yeah_Right wrote: »

Another 6 seasons injury free and without his form dropping, he could do it. But 44 caps at 27 years old isn't a huge amount. In comparison Retallick is the same age and has 70 plus.

Retallick's only 27?? Genuinely thought he was 30+.

• Administrators Posts: 53,326 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Retallick is the best lock in the world and has been for years, so he's not really a fair barometer.

aloooof wrote: »
    Retallick's only 27?? Genuinely thought he was 30+.

He's looked 30 since he was a teenager.

This is a picture from his under 12's days:

8779079.jpg

Advertisement