Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,395 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

But on a bad day, when the breaks don't go our way (or on a day where a David Moran intervenes), the problem is highlighted. I don't see how this can be rectified against a fit, all running Donegal team, and who have decent midfield, along with Michael Murphy lurching around midfield.
    Play 2 goalies - Clarke for the shot-stopping and Hennelly for the kickouts!!

Both Donegal MFs went off injured yesterday. I wonder how serious those were?

I agree with what a few other posters have said. Many of our defenders look uncomfortable receiving the short kickout close to goal.
    I think those same guys prefer breaking from deep instead and receiving the ball as a runner off the shoulder.

With Seamie back and having put in a very good performance for 60+ minutes yesterday I'd be more confident about our midfield for the long kickouts. Aidan will definitely benefit from the two week break.

Maybe an outside chance Ruane could be involved for some gametime too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Maybe an outside chance Ruane could be involved for some gametime too.

From what I hear, not likely, but you never know with Horan. He has been playing both Aidan and Lee while they've been carrying injuries.

Most likely to make an appearance is Paddy Durcan and Keith Higgins, I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

PressRun wrote: »
    From what I hear, not likely, but you never know with Horan. He has been playing both Aidan and Lee while they've been carrying injuries.

Most likely to make an appearance is Paddy Durcan and Keith Higgins, I would imagine.

I would have my doubts on Ruane as well. Back in midfield just seven weeks after breaking a collar bone seems highly unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

If we haven't nailed down a kickout strategy by now, it's not going to happen in the next 2 weeks. It's not like it has suddenly crept up on us.
    Like I said in a previous post, when the opposition press, the Mayo backs don't really want the ball, leaving no option but for Clarke to go long. And then we have the floating punt up the field.

I wouldn't agree with that. Barrett, Harrison and Higgins win so many kickouts for us. The problem is that everyone knows Clarke wants to play it to them. When the opposition press it's extremely risky to play a short kickout. Should the backs demand the kickout when they're surrounded by opposition players? That would end in tears.

I still wouldn't change goalkeeper at this stage however. All we can do is practice winning the breaks from Clarke's long kickouts and hopefully improve for the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Meath Review

Mayo News Football Podcast 2019

https://themayonews.podomatic.com/enclosure/2019-07-22T07_08_35-07_00.mp3

Loved Jimmy Horan's response to the query of Colm Keys.

"Your capacity to keep the crowds on the edge of your seats knows no bounds.Do you ever wish for a nice handy straight forward win?

Ah you know you need to be compelling man,it's what keeps us all going.Yeah there's a number of ways to win a game.The odd boring s***** one would be fine.":)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Well done on the victory yesterday lads and ladies. Devastated as I thought we had ye for a while but you took your chances when under a bit of pressure and we didn't. Andy Moran showed that class is permanent after coming on.
    Wouldn't bet against ye against Donegal. And you're the only team who's put it up to Dublin in the last 5 years so, who knows.

If it weren't for the Land Commission, I'd be a Mayo man so I'll be rooting for ye from here on in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

Assuming Kerry beat Meath, would a one point win for Mayo over Donegal put Mayo through??

tanko wrote: »
    Assuming Kerry beat Meath, would a one point win for Mayo over Donegal put Mayo through??

Kerry 5 points
    Mayo 4 points
    Donegal 3 points

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Squatman

tanko wrote: »

yes, that would put us on 4, donegal on 3, assuming kerry win, theyll be on 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

tanko wrote:

Think points difference would only come into play if we draw with Donegal. So yes even a one point win would put us ahead of Donegal and through to the next stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

Oh yeah, points difference won’t come into it if Mayo win.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Brusna

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    Think points difference would only come into play if we draw with Donegal. So yes even a one point win would put us ahead of Donegal and through to the next stage.

If we draw with Donegal we are out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,084 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Brusna wrote: »
    If we draw with Donegal we are out.

Correct, Donegal only need a draw.

There is no possible way now that scoring difference can come into it as the three teams cannot finish on the same amount of points.

Squatman wrote: »
    yes, that would put us on 4, donegal on 3, assuming kerry win, theyll be on 5

Imagine if ourselves & Meath won, we would top the group....:pac:

The Neale's Tommy Conroy has been invited to train with the senior squad.

Good call.Such a talented young man.

seligehgit wrote: »
    The Neale's Tommy Conroy has been invited to train with the senior squad.

Good call.Such a talented young man.

He's a talented player but you'd wonder what's the point bringing guys in at this stage. He might only get 2 training sessions!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    He's a talented player but you'd wonder what's the point bringing guys in at this stage. He might only get 2 training sessions!

It'll do no harm anyway.

It will help the lad see the step up to senior firsthand - I'd say the training sessions and the A vs B's will be intense. It also might even help sharpen up one or two players who won't want to lose their place in the 26.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

It'll do no harm anyway.

It will help the lad see the step up to senior firsthand - I'd say the training sessions and the A vs B's will be intense. It also might even help sharpen up one or two players who won't want to lose their place in the 26.

Would they be though, at this stage of the year?

That said I agree - it can't do him any harm overall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

jr86 wrote:
    Would they be though, at this stage of the year?
    Well with the injuries they're picking up in training they must be knocking 7 shades of sh!te out of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Registered Users Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭HBC08

km79 wrote: »
    Thats gonna sell out easily

Thats a joke.
    Going to be large swaths of empty seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Shorty69664

The tickets on sale were general admission. Will we be able to get into the stand with those if in early enough??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

The tickets on sale were general admission. Will we be able to get into the stand with those if in early enough??

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭flasher0030

mayo.mick wrote: »

Why? I thought it holds about 35,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Why? I thought it holds about 35,000.

It could probably hold near 40,000 but depends on what H & S say these days. Id saya the lack of entrance/turnstiles at the Albany end or on MacHale Road is a big problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

It could probably hold near 40,000 but depends on what H & S say these days. Id saya the lack of entrance/turnstiles at the Albany end or on MacHale Road is a big problem

H&S reduced capacity in MacHale Park to 38K in the *Slattery Report* in 2011.

When, why, or how it was further reduced to 31K I don't know.

And now its reduced by a further 6k to just over 25K "on health & safety concerns" baffles me?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

There was 29k at a game last year and plenty of room inside. This seems really excessive. Only reason I can think of for the decrease is the concrete benches all around are health and safetys worst nightmate. They really should remove those and make it standing. When Ireland had the RWC bid there were people on here claiming McHale Park was an all seater stadium!

mayo.mick wrote: »
    H&S reduced capacity in MacHale Park to 38K in the *Slattery Report* in 2011.

When, why, or how it was further reduced to 31K I don't know.

And now its reduced by a further 6k to just over 25K "on health & safety concerns" baffles me?

The championship game vs Galway last year was a disaster crowd wise. I arrived 15 minutes before throw in and getting from the bacon factory end to the Albany end took ages. Ended up having to walk through the pitch with a few hundred others! There were around 29k at that and it was a double header so you'd think a lot of the crowd wouldn't be arriving last minute.

If they had 4 or 5 turnstiles at the Albany end and make a chunk of the crowd use them it would solve the problem. Probably don't want to spend any more money on the place though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    The championship game vs Galway last year was a disaster crowd wise. I arrived 15 minutes before throw in and getting from the bacon factory end to the Albany end took ages. Ended up having to walk through the pitch with a few hundred others! There were around 29k at that and it was a double header so you'd think a lot of the crowd wouldn't be arriving last minute.

If they had 4 or 5 turnstiles at the Albany end and make a chunk of the crowd use them it would solve the problem. Probably don't want to spend any more money on the place though!

ya its crazy getting the crowd up to that end and a pain in the arse if you have are sitting on the MacHale road side, agree that turnstiles are badly needed at that end

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement