Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISIS people returning thread - no Lisa Smith talk (21/12/19)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

volchitsa wrote: »
    Dunno about the CIA thing but since he was a teacher at the American University in Beirut and not a photo journalist, I think the poster may be confusing him with someone else. Or with a character in a fiction they have read. :)

Considering the costs and efforts to keeping a prisoner, why do you think the local militia picked him up? Somebody somewhere on the other side must have thought he had a case to answer for. Consider they held him for years!!! That doesnt sounds like a lot of a simple case of mistaken identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

That sounds like a lot of a simple case of mistaken identity.
    Yeah - you mistaking Brian Keenan for someone else.

Phoebas wrote: »
    Yeah - you mistaking Brian Keenan for someone else.

Nope, the auld KGB are fairly sure they had their man. Am I going to have dust off the books and reference the pages?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Considering the costs and efforts to keeping a prisoner, why do you think the local militia picked him up? Somebody somewhere on the other side must have thought he had a case to answer for. Consider they held him for years!!! That doesnt sounds like a lot of a simple case of mistaken identity.

Perhaps you are too young to remember the war in Lebanon. At various points during it, foreigners in general were targeted, as a way of exercising pressure on the west. Very few were taken because of their own alleged activities, mostly they were targeted according to ease of access and because of which country they were thought to come from amd how easily they would negotiate.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebanon_hostage_crisis

You said he was a photojournalist, he wasn't. At the very least you have remembered that incident wrong and are likely confusing Brian Keenan with someone else entirely.

ETA: the hostage takers mostly tortured and killed those captives they believed to be spies. The ones they kept were those they had nothing personal against. Amd I've no idea what the KGB have to do with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

When Muslims kidnap a westerner it is very often for the same reason as any other kidnapper - they are hoping to get a ransom, somehow, somewhere.

• Advertisement

volchitsa wrote: »
    Perhaps you are too young to remember the war in Lebanon. At various points during it, foreigners in general were targeted, as a way of exercising pressure on the west. Very few were taken because of their own alleged activities, mostly they were targeted according to ease of access and because of which country they were thought to come from amd how easily they would negotiate.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebanon_hostage_crisis

You said he was a photojournalist, he wasn't. At the very least you have remembered that incident wrong and are likely confusing Brian Keenan with someone else entirely.

ETA: the hostage takers mostly tortured and killed those captives they believed to be spies. The ones they kept were those they had nothing personal against. Amd I've no idea what the KGB have to do with this.

In 1983 I was too young to watch the A-Team but my father used to let me stay up to watch the news, so I got to watch the "live show". I didnt know where they were or what was going on but I always knew what was going on in Bagdad, Beirut and Belfast.

Why would anyone with nothing invested hang around a warzone? I understand getting out of Belfast but going to Beirut? I remember Terry Waite and John McCarthy. According to either Andy McNabb or Chris Ryan there were several plans formulated, mounted and stood down at the last minute to get them out.

I dont believe in half the stories that are being spun by the media. Interesting stories are hidden on pages 7-14 on the paper and some celeb breaking up covers up and distracts the masses.

Most of these conflicts in the cold war were proxy wars between the USA and USSR. See the 4 KGB taken captive by Hamas, great story.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

That is some hard spoofing.

Boggles wrote: »
    That is some hard spoofing.

Which Part?

https://www.chroniclesmagazine.org/how-to-deal-with-hostage-takers-soviet-lessons/

That deals with the soviet agents. You often hear of Cultural attachés and Russian Tourism Officers attached to embassies, doing intelligence work. The same with the America embassys Dept of Agriculture and so forth.

Which Part?

Pretty much all of it skooter to be fair.

You haven't offered one shred of proof to back up your claims about poor Brian.

All loose talk and hear say (yours).

I imagine if Brian had been a super CIA agent or whatever you claim he was (I forget). :(

Then why hasn't he written about it?

He is safe now and has been for a while.

Pretty much all of it skooter to be fair.

You haven't offered one shred of proof to back up your claims about poor Brian.

All loose talk and hear say (yours).

I imagine if Brian had been a super CIA agent or whatever you claim he was (I forget). :(

Then why hasn't he written about it?

He is safe now and has been for a while.

I have, I quoted the book, which I read most of.
    Now I never said Brian Keenan was an agent. He was an asset. Totally different, you think imagine him to be Case Officer. An asset is something to be used and disposed of, they have no real loyalty to them.

Brian Keenan sisters never thanked the Irish government. Read the books. They are all there.

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Moved from AH > CA.

I have, I quoted the book, which I read most of.

Well, no, no you didn't. You named a book and linked to it on Amazon.
    Now I never said Brian Keenan was an agent. He was an asset. Totally different, you think imagine him to be Case Officer. An asset is something to be used and disposed of, they have no real loyalty to them.

Okay you haven't give a shred of proof he was an Asset, Case Officer, Agent or whatever.

Well, no, no you didn't. You named a book and linked to it on Amazon.

Okay you haven't give a shred of proof he was an Asset, Case Officer, Agent or whatever.

I dont have the book anymore. So I cant quote it but I read half the book. In the first third when he is working at the middle eastern desk it is discuss there.

Private , NCO , Officer and general, whatever. No, not "whatever" they are three different classification, with different roles. The Case officer never gets his hands dirty, the agent observes and directs and the asset is the one in at the coal front and most likely to get the ****ty end of the stick. Not the same at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Am I going to have dust off the books and reference the pages?
    I dont have the book anymore. So I cant quote it but I read half the book.

You're an awful spoofer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

You're an awful spoofer.

correct

as has been pointed out to him a large number of time to his various profiles already lol

You're an awful spoofer.

Next day I see it in the charity shop I will grab it. But you dont seem to have read this book or have a knowledge of what the role of the Ambassador or the secretaries do in an embassy either.

It's available in e-book form.

I'll have a look for it later.

mynamejeff wrote: »
    correct

as has been pointed out to him a large number of time to his various profiles already lol

Had the same profile for 7 years or so, which other profiles do I use?

It's available in e-book form.

I'll have a look for it later.

I found it dropped off half way once he reaches the UN General Assembly in New York. That is when I stopped reading. I bought it twice and lent it twice and never got it back

I found it dropped off half way once he reaches the UN General Assembly in New York. That is when I stopped reading. I bought it twice and lent it twice and never got it back

So you didn't get to the part where he said Mother Tersea was an MI6 Agent?

:)

• Advertisement

So you didn't get to the part where he said Mother Tersea was an MI6 Agent?

:)

No he was 3rd Secretary in various roles and embassies. It was a good read, when I read it nearly 20 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

She’s on RTÉ radio laughing and giggling about her time in isis now

Clearly lying and clearly an isis fantatic

Awful carry on

RTÉ just forget about this absolute monster. Let her rot in that camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

in a country in which we can try terrorists without a jury, we could probably figure out a way to keep her out if there is the political will (which there isnt)

Hey lets just hand her over to the Virginia farmboys?
    let them sort her out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

This yoke shouldn't be getting any air time. She says she's worried that her daughter will be seen as a terrorists child if she returns. Maybe, just maybe, you should have thought about that before running off to join ISIS Lisa you dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Does she think people are stupid??...she was just joining a caliphate thats all, didn't know ISIS were doing bad things.

Prior to the collapse of the Islamic State caliphate, Ms Smith said her husband kept her inside their home every day and she only learned of some of the acts of brutality carried out by IS after speaking to other women in the refugee camp.
    She said: "You can't blame me for what the Islamic State done. I don't hold the same beliefs as them. I came to a caliphate where Islam was supposed to be implemented. I have different beliefs than the majority of people.

Ms Smith said the killing of American journalist James Foley was "completely wrong". The freelance correspondent was abducted in Syria and murdered by IS. "I don't believe with the killing of James Foley. I totally disagree with this. This is completely wrong. Why did they do that? I don't know.

James Foley was beheaded in 2014, along with others by Jihadi John, videos widely reported on along with other ISIS massacres. We had various attacks in Europe by ISIS including the Bataclan in 2015.
    Lisa joined ISIS in 2016 knowing all this.

I don’t believe a word out of her mouth. Let her rot where she is. If Leo would like to see her so much then he can join her over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

RTE Six one news top story

Lisa Smith’s “journey” began when....

Disgusting from the state broadcaster

How many people died directly because of her little “journey”?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

RTE Six one news top story

Lisa Smith’s “journey” began when....

Disgusting from the state broadcaster

How many people died directly because of her little “journey”?

They should think back to when they were broadcasting about the slaughter of the Yazidis people ,
    Rte are a sham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Should she be allowed home to Ireland? I personally feel she doesn't represent a threat. She was sold on the idea that the Islamic state was pure and free from the evils of the west. If there is no evidence against her she should be repatriated

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement