Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISIS people returning thread - no Lisa Smith talk (21/12/19)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

He’s taking about remaining Isis holdouts.

Bring her home but jail her for war crimes.

I understand that but I'd trying to find out where they are located and what faction in Syria does he think should do the bombings?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Send her a length of rope and a note saying slán

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Was she not supporting her man out there ? Would that in itself not be support ing the horrors that the IS were committing. How long was she there ? Why didnt she leave if she didnt like it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

tuxy wrote: »
    I understand that but I'd trying to find out where they are located and what faction in Syria does he think should do the bombings?

Why does that matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Give her to the Kurds for trial or the yazidi.

Try her and then kill her.

Her actions warrant worse but nothing is served by that.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Gowl

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Gowl

I agree, but which gaol will we send her to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Where exactly is this square mile and who do you want to bomb it?

Back a year ago or six months or whatever when we heard on the news every other day about his ISIS controlled territory was getting smaller by the day down to a tiny area before they were allowed free passage out of there. The US, Turkey, Assad, anyone could have bombed them out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

One thing I don't get is why several senior politicians here including Leo himself, keep putting their oar in and insisting she should be 'brought home'. Usually politicians avoid thorny issues like this unless they are obliged to confront them. Kinda odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

I can't honestly say whether I really believe that she represents a threat to the State or not. The body of evidence one way or the other is not there.

What I can say is that she stated clearly she wanted out of the West into a pure place with family life, no prostitution or gays (as if either of those two things are ever possible, anywhere....)

Now, when it does not work out, she wants back to the West for her child to be educated, and of course she'll get children's allowance and welfare as she's basically unemployable unless some islamic group employs her.

It's the hypocrisy which annoys me, we're so wicked etc except when you need our money and the benefits of our open, progressive societies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Leave her to rot silly fanatics deserve the hell they crawl into. Ridiculous to even give her press or media exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

I'd believe she might have been swayed to believe a different version of reality before going over, if she wasn't as intelligent as she is.

She knew exactly what she was getting herself into.

Get her daughter home and into the safe arms of her grandparents, but leave her to sleep in the bed she made for herself.

I really don’t understand why they didn’t just bomb the sh1t out of that last square mile that the zealous holdouts controlled and save us all this crap.

Instead we are fed sob stories that them being kept against their will etc. Or that killing them would create martyrs and feed radicalisation. Well news flash, that has happened already anyway (hence their rise to power and the influx of foreign fighters from all over Europe), giving rise to the problem they are poorly dealing with right now.

No doubt we will look back on this decision to show ‘compassion’ in 20 years time with regret.

There's innocent children about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Extended interview on Primetime later. RTE definitely doing their best to get her home

jay0109 wrote: »
    Extended interview on Primetime later. RTE definitely doing their best to get her home

Are the Syrians watching?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Dressed like an extra from a Halloween B movie.

"I want to live in a Muslim state".
    Good, that's case closed. Ireland's not a muslim country....yet. So we don't have to bring her back.

There are 2 female's who are 100% certain that Lisa Smith was the lady who trained them on how to use weapons in Syria. Case closed a 2nd time. No need to bring her back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I think Leo has it spot on. She’s Irish, she’s free to return if she wishes. It’s obviously difficult and/or expensive to bring her back, if it was as simple as a plane ticket, I’m sure her folks would have stumped up long ago. But that’s her problem.

Make your own way back, expect some scrutiny off the Gardai, keep your head down & eventually you’ll be forgotten.

I think Leo has it spot on. She’s Irish, she’s free to return if she wishes. It’s obviously difficult and/or expensive to bring her back, if it was as simple as a plane ticket, I’m sure her folks would have stumped up long ago. But that’s her problem.

Make your own way back, expect some scrutiny off the Gardai, keep your head down & eventually you’ll be forgotten.

Are you saying we shouldn't act in a similar manner to the UK and try to offload our problems on other countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Are you saying we shouldn't act in a similar manner to the UK and try to offload our problems on other countries?

Offload our problems on other countries.. as in render her stateless? No, we definitely shouldn’t. She has to be allowed back. But I don’t think the Government should get involved in her return, in any way. Wait until she shows up at one of our airports or ferry terminals, then hold her for questioning.

She's not our problem she's a traitor and enemy of the state ,

We don't need Isis fighter's or sympathisers in this country she doesn't need to come home to be treated like some kind of celebrity like the halawa ****head ,

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    She's not our problem she's a traitor and enemy of the state ,

Can you identify which state is responsible for her?
    If she manages to get out of her current situation and enters a half stable country she will be deported to Ireland. Then what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Quandary

If she is so worried for her daughter then arrange for her remaining family in Ireland to raise her safely in this country, seeing as her daughter is an Irish citizen and innocent.

Lisa Smith herself should not be allowed to set foot in Ireland again. She didn't just make a little mistake. Her husband was a jihadist. She joined the Islamic state. She knowingly supported and sought out the ideology of a caliphate.

Bring her daughter home to be raised by fitting guardians. Lisa Smith should be left to wallow in the mess she made for herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

What is all the kerfuffle about her coming back
    If she wants to come back let her (not like she can be stopped) - but it's like there is a certain contingent of people expecting the government to fly the jet out to get her, hell no. If she wants to come back then it's at her own expense
    Then do the interrogation as soon as she lands
    I assume she doesn't have the passport anymore?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

BarryD2 wrote: »
    One thing I don't get is why several senior politicians here including Leo himself, keep putting their oar in and insisting she should be 'brought home'. Usually politicians avoid thorny issues like this unless they are obliged to confront them. Kinda odd.

Varadkar did not insist she should be "brought home". He very clearly stated the opposite, he said she will receive no assistance at all to return to Ireland, and it would appear that a plan to help extract her from the camp and back to Ireland was in fact rejected by Varadkar on the grounds that she made her way out there and she can make her own way back.

You missed all that? Kinda odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Arghus wrote: »
    I wouldn't believe too much of her story, or at the very least I think we're getting a santisied version, but she is still an Irish citizen and she has a child who is totally innocent and who is also an Irish citizen, so I think, yes, they should be allowed back.

Indeed, and that kid will be murdering westerners on the streets of Dublin in 15 years time, sure give them a free house too ...

Can you identify which state is responsible for her?

No country should be responsible ,

Bring her home , late late show appearance ,maybe she can cut ribbons at new mosque openings
    She will need a council house too ,

She's a trained killer who joined Isis ,if London school girls held positions in Isis I can only imagine what position a trained infantry soldier held

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭satguy

Let her rot there, she should never be allowed back home.

She wanted a Muslim state, now she has one. No music, no nail varnish, no equal rights for females, and no hope of a better life for her sons and daughters.

She should feel right at home in that nice camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Bring her home , late late show appearance ,maybe she can cut ribbons at new mosque openings

She's a trained killer who joined Isis ,if London school girls held positions in Isis I can only imagine what position a trained infantry soldier held

She could do a TedX talk in Drogheda on the challenges of reorganizing sex slave markets in the Middle East 110 years after their dissolution.

Under duress from Europe.

Well plans to bring her home have been dismissed so that's not happening.
    It sounds like you think she should be made stateless as that's the only way we can refuse entry if she makes her way to Ireland. Don't you think that that too would be problematic?

• Advertisement

Prime Time this minute starting a segment about Lisa Smith.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement