Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISIS people returning thread - no Lisa Smith talk (21/12/19)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

He's elected by the dail like every other bloomin' taoiseach. :rolleyes:

But not by the Irish people in a general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

statesaver wrote: »
    But not by the Irish people in a general election.

He's one of a number elected by his constituency to the dail, as every TD is.

That is Bol-locks. Send her back to where ever she came from too. She did it for the money

She left in 2013 too and hasn’t returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

People who know Varadkar will tell you he is a weak guy. He was always passing the buck in medical school. He never wants to grasp a crisis or anything rather to chase things beyond his control like Brexit.

He is a good boy and himself and the BFF will get cushy numbers in Europe on board of Quangos with salaries expenses and all that. That is how it goes.

You'd wonder how someone so weak could not only make a political career for himself but also become Taoiseach at such a young age.

I'm not his biggest fan but you don't get to his position by being weak FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Again Varadkar is virtue signaling that he is the Irish Justin Trudeau.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Given that most of this mess is American we should deport em to the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

h2005 wrote: »
    You'd wonder how someone so weak could not only make a political career for himself but also become Taoiseach at such a young age.

I'm not his biggest fan but you don't get to his position by being weak FFS

Money rather than building a base and coming up the hard way through university. IT was like this medical thing looks like a bit of hard work, I think I will just slot into an outgoing TDs shoes. Real politicians come up through the ranks as members, secretaries, Counsellors and then TD. He wasnt even the brains behind the shift against Enda Kenny, that was Richard Brutons hand in the background.

When have you ever heard him take a stand and say he was going to get to the bottom of a problem or deal hands on with the North?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Gatling wrote: »
    Sure it's well known we keep rapists and murders here even when found to be here illegally,
    So it's no surprise Leo's support to bring foreign jihadis here ,
    Even if they do want to throw him and his partner off the nearest building.

Were a joke of a state

Of course there’s be no Isis at all had the west not intervened to oust Assad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

given leo is taoiseach, then yes he very much has the right to make decisions on our behalf where he is allowed by law to do so. we may not agree with particular decisions but that is what the elections are for.
    72% of people supporting the stripping of citizenship from an actual british citizen is exactly why sometimes public opinion should be ignored due to the possible precedents it may potentially set

Why not have a poll for Irish people to see how the feel about revoking citizenship of these terrorist.Bet you wont see one because Leo might not like the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

if the citizenship they have elsewhere is their primary citizenship, as in they were born in that country, then by all means we don't have to let them in . if they have citizenship but their primary citizenship is irish, as in they were born here, then not letting them in is essentially trying to dump them on another country via them having citizenship of that country, dispite the fact the other citizenship is not their primary citizenship and the other country involved is not their country of nationality/birth, and that would absolutely be wrong to do that. we wouldn't like it if it was done to us so why should we do it to them.
    A load of codswallop. A few posts earlier you were all for bringing him back. And now your making up new citizenship categories! Primary and Secondary citizenship...pure rubbish.

He was caught in Syria...let them try him before their courts system.

Volunteering to bring him home with vague promises of a court case here :mad: We can't even validate the stories of bogus asylum seekers coming from the likes of Georgia and Sth Africa. What chance we build a case on events in the battle fields of Syria!

• Advertisement

jay0109 wrote: »

This really needs to be dealt with in Syrian Military court. Convene three junior officers, allow 15 minutes and a have a firing squad on stand by.

Would he be crying to come back if ISIS were still in control.
    Would he f@ck.Let him rot there or F@uck of back to where he came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Of course there’s be no Isis at all had the west not intervened to oust Assad.

Sorry incorrect .

But yeah lets blame America the country who did more to fight Isis than any other

This really needs to be dealt with in Syrian Military court. Convene three junior officers, allow 15 minutes and a have a firing squad on stand by.

Any give every one of the firing squad live ammunition.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭wobatkicker23

Have to laugh at the people labeling ISIS as evil in this thread.
    These are the same people who supported the IRA's fight for freedom.

Are there lunatics in ISIS?Yes.
    Are there people fighting for what they think is right? Yes.

Don't tar all ISIS members with the same brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Wow, just wow:eek:
    Has to be a wind up

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭wobatkicker23

Wow, just wow:eek:
    Has to be a wind up

What? Because I don't generalise?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

mgn wrote: »
    Why not have a poll for Irish people to see how the feel about revoking citizenship of these terrorist.Bet you wont see one because Leo might not like the result.

you will have to write to leo and take that up with him.
    for what it's worth, i'm not sure a similar pole would be as high as the uk one as i think we are more pragmatic here in ireland then the uk.
    A load of codswallop. A few posts earlier you were all for bringing him back. And now your making up new citizenship categories! Primary and Secondary citizenship...pure rubbish.

Volunteering to bring him home with vague promises of a court case here We can't even validate the stories of bogus asylum seekers coming from the likes of Georgia and Sth Africa. What chance we build a case on events in the battle fields of Syria!

it's not rubbish but a sensible, fair and pragmatic way of dealing with this issue.

if syria actually want to try foreign terrorists they will. if they don't then no country has a right to force them upon them.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Is that you Leo.

• Advertisement

you will have to write to leo and take that up with him.
    for what it's worth, i'm not sure a similar pole would be as high as the uk one as i think we are more pragmatic here in ireland then the uk.

it's not rubbish but a sensible, fair and pragmatic way of dealing with this issue.

if syria actually want to try foreign terrorists they will. if they don't then no country has a right to force them upon them.

Why don't you tell him.You seem to be very quick to defend him on here.
    As for the poll you might be surprised.The said the same about Peter Casey and we know what happened there against all odds.People are getting sick of Leo and his band of merrymen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I am flabbergasted and appalled at Varadkars comments. How he could support bring home these Isis animals is beyond me. Never did vote for his party but after this I never ever will.

Scary times we are living in with these globalist liberal loonies in charge. Their soft stances and actions are endangering lives.

ricero wrote: »
    I am flabbergasted and appalled at Varadkars comments. How he could support bring home these Isis animals is beyond me. Never did vote for his party but after this I never ever will.

Scary times we are living in with these globalist liberal loonies in charge. Their soft stances and actions are endangering lives.

What real choice would we have FF/FG sing off the German Hymn sheet. Labour and Sinn Fein would do the same thing only twice as fast. We have no political leadership in this country with the exception of Furher Merkel.

Discussion now on the tonigh show

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

If in doubt, idiom?

Its not exactly going to be like Big Jack and the team returning after Italia '90.

Agreed, it’s not a returning Irish soccer fan ??????. If you’re questioning the number, a few of these returning or others so inclined to head abroad to fight, they could do a lot of damage. Comparing to a returning sports fan is idiotic. Look at those in other countries who have returned from combat zones. There aren’t jack’s army amounts of them. They have killed plenty in France, UK and elsewhere. So back on track. My point stands, the message this sends out is wrong on so many fronts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭AllForIt

ricero wrote: »

I don't get this 'don't make it someone else's problem' argument. If a foreign national came to Ireland and committed a terrorist attack here (or indeed any crime) and killed Irish citizens here I'd prefer to have them imprisoned here, not send them back to the country they came from?

In the case of Shamina you hear ppl saying she is the UK's problem. What do they mean by this? It's as if they are suggesting that the reason she did what she did is ultimately the UK's fault? Leaving the UK is not a crime. If she committed any crime it was in Syria so she should be prosecuted in Syria? Indeed some in the UK have been saying that just because she married an ISIS fighter that's not the same as joining a terrorist group, guilt by association, so therefore she hasn't broken any UK law by being a bride? So why should the UK be responsible for bringing her to justice if she committed crimes in Syria?

Why don't you tell him.

why should i tell him? you want the pole. you are saying it won't happen because of leo.
    You seem to be very quick to defend him on here.

that's news to me. the only time i have actually defended him is over brexit and this issue to an extent. other then that i have no time for him.
    As for the poll you might be surprised.The said the same about Peter Casey and we know what happened there against all odds.People are getting sick of Leo and his band of merrymen.

sure, but ultimately casey and his like are nothing to worry about.

AllForIt wrote: »
    I don't get this 'don't make it someone else's problem' argument. If a foreign national came to Ireland and committed a terrorist attack here (or indeed any crime) and killed Irish citizens here I'd prefer to have them imprisoned here, not send them back to the country they came from?

In the case of Shamina you hear ppl saying she is the UK's problem. What do they mean by this? It's as if they are suggesting that the reason she did what she did is ultimately the UK's fault? Leaving the UK is not a crime. If she committed any crime it was in Syria so she should be prosecuted in Syria? Indeed some in the UK have been saying that just because she married an ISIS fighter that's not the same as joining a terrorist group, guilt by association, so therefore she hasn't broken any UK law by being a bride? So why should the UK be responsible for bringing her to justice if she committed crimes in Syria?

no, it's not suggesting that it is the fault of the uk she did what she did. it's saying quite frankly that because she is a british citizen, born in britain, that whatever stunt britain pulls, britain does not get to wash their hands of her and try dump her on other countries. that british citizens by birth are the responsibility of britain even if they try and strip them of their citizenship. if someone with british citizenship was born elsewhere, then yes that changes things, because ultimately, britain is not the country of birth/origin.
    if syria etc decide they want to put foreign isis fighters in their country on trial that will be their decision and they will do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Just seen Varadkers comments. That man needs to be relieved of his duties for the sake of national security. Irelands problem... Sure aren't we brilliant at dealing with problems ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I think Varadkar is trying to be a bit too cool for school. There is definitely merit in what he said but he shouldn’t make off the cuff comments in a live interview which could have repercussions in a very tense political period for Ireland because of Brexit.

His comments as they were made do not seem to represent the views of most people I have talked to but everything needs to be viewed on a case by case basis especially where coercion, abuse, mental issues, violence etc are at play.

He seems to be a bit of a loose canon recently. Playing and joking with his phone during dail debates. Saying crazy things at interview. He isn’t doing himself any favours.

It is too easy for people to make disparaging comments about posters who think ISIS are nuts but would have a different opinion to the IRA. Completely different situation in that ISIS is nothing about reunifying a country but a caliphate which will spread. The IRA never bombed France or Philippines or Indonesia to demonstrate their view. That is why it is a strange argument to compare the two.

With regard to bringing them home I’m torn. On the one hand I would want them to burn in the hellhole that they bolted to. But if it was a member of my family who was brainwashed and is lost I would want them to seek the help that they may need. What I don’t want is Leo spouting sh1te when he probably has no idea of the ramifications on an international scale that his comments could have.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement