Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good article detailing Dublin's unfair funding advantage

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,225 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Perifect wrote: »
    Ok, I think I've solved something, not sure. I was wondering was the Irish Sports Council grant of 1 million paid on top of the money Dublin get from the GAA. Well if you look at the Dublin accounts, under the strategic review committee part which I mentioned in the last post, you see 2.7 million. That was for 2016. Didn't the GAA pay about 1.4 million in 2016? Add on the 1 million from the sports council and it's up to 2.4 million. Then earlier I posted about the Leinster council having a thing called "Dublin coaching project" on their accounts. This was always between 200,000 and 300,000. So if you add that on to the 2.4 million you get 2.7 million. Am I right with this? If I am then it's much higher than the 18 million they were mentioning in the article. If we say it was 2.5 million since 2005, that's 35 million if you include this year. That's a crazy amount of money. Am I missing something?

Well, if you want to keep making up figures to claim Dublin are unfairly financed, then you are right to keep making them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

blanch152 wrote: »
    Well, if you want to keep making up figures to claim Dublin are unfairly financed, then you are right to keep making them up.

What part of his post is inaccurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

His figures are correct. What did he make up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

I'm just using figures from the official sources. Can you tell me how they are wrong? Do you have any other sources?

Is there another Dublin county board account available? I've only seen the one from 2016.

waits for usual Dubs' response...
    FAKE NEWS!

• Advertisement

Silence. :confused: It must be true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Silence. :confused: It must be true?

I suspect its a combination of boredom/apathy. This topic has been done to death over the last few years. There isn't really anything new or more that can be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Clareman wrote: »
    First off, any talk of a cap/budget or whatever isn't feasible, a former Clare Manager got funding directly from the "Supporters Club" which was chaired by a family member and who's accounts were accounted for by the county boar.

When Kilkenny were going for a 5 in a row in hurling there wasn't talk about cutting their funding, it's up to the other teams to beat them, ultimately you can only have a max of 15 players on the pitch at any time, it's up to the opposition to beat them, if it was all down to funding then America would be the best rugby/soccer team in the world.

Complete and utter ****e.

The gap between soccer or rugby funding in the USA and other countries is NOT a multiple of 18 or even 36 like it is with Dublin.

This is an amateur sport where one team is able to operate at a professional level due to vast investment and funding.

The Kilkenny comparison is utter crap as well because their success was not predicated on funding - Dublin's success is not solely based on funding but it is an enormous reason for it!

ShyMets wrote: »
    I suspect its a combination of boredom/apathy. This topic has been done to death over the last few years. There isn't really anything new or more that can be said.

But the poster said this:

Surely it must be easy to point to the correct figures if it's been done to death? We always hear about Dublin and finance but I've never heard exactly how much and any detail on where it was spent or anything.

Tumbleweed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,225 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

But the poster said this:

Surely it must be easy to point to the correct figures if it's been done to death? We always hear about Dublin and finance but I've never heard exactly how much and any detail on where it was spent or anything.

You are adding different figures from different places, none of them actual official publicly available figures to make a muddled case. It makes Ewan McKenna's analysis look good.

This has all been done before, there was a poster about a year ago who was all over a similar thread before he was laughed out of here.

You are adding different figures from different places, none of them actual official publicly available figures to make a muddled case. It makes Ewan McKenna's analysis look good.

This has all been done before, there was a poster about a year ago who was all over a similar thread before he was laughed out of here.

I've asked you for the actual figures, do you have them? I'll show you where I got mine.

The 1.4 million is from the GAA annual accounts. Wasn't that linked earlier in the thread? This number is not under dispute?

Dublin gets 1 million from the Irish sports council every year. This is true also?

Dublin get money from the Leinster council also. It's on page 18 of this: http://leinster.clubandcounty.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/33/2017/03/Leinster-Council-Accounts-2015-2016.pdf

Then the total figure is from the Dublin county board accounts page 20: file:///C:/Users/DELL/Downloads/Annual%20Accounts%202016.pdf

I don't know why you have hostility towards me? I'm just wondering if these figures are accurate or not. Can you tell me what the actual figures are if they are not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Tumbleweed

Don’t worry, once Dublin win at the weekend there’ll be another ‘Dublin out of Croker’ or ‘Dublin have too much money’ thread.......

EICVD wrote: »
    Don’t worry, once Dublin win at the weekend there’ll be another ‘Dublin out of Croker’ or ‘Dublin have too much money’ thread.......

Do you think that one will have any explanation as to why Dublin received 2.7 million in 2016 from the strategic review committee?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Do you think that one will have any explanation as to why Dublin received 2.7 million in 2016 from the strategic review committee?

High ranking GAA officials have defended the figures over the years and as another poster said there is an element of fatigue around the whole debate among fans and commentators so I doubt you’ll get an explanation or any sort of meaningful rebalancing either.

Any public funding is easy to award and distribute generally speaking, but pulling it back is very difficult, as long term commitments will have been made on the back of consistent levels over a period of time.

I think Dublin’s sponsored success was a big win for the GAA and has contributed massively to the popularity of the game. It has now started to become a problem though as it has created an imbalance and is effecting attendances and creating apathy among other counties, particularly in Leinster as they know they have no chance of any real success, and indeed are more likely to suffer a humiliating defeat every time they face Dublin. Was it last year kildare were lauded for a courageous nine point defeat?

I think ultimately if they don’t regress they will have to be split in to two teams. When you have such a huge population, artificially high participation rates driven by state funding along with a host of other advantages it’s hard to see how they can fall away really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

EICVD wrote: »

Surely a megathread for the loonies to go at it is in order.

Irrespective of your opinion any normal person must be tired of 'debating' this at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mod Note

I am closing this thread as the rights and wrongs re this argument are as is common in these funding threads that mushroom up simply going around in circles.

There is a stickied thread where discussion of this topic is welcome.

Changes in the GAA - super thread

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057890333

corny wrote: »
    Surely a megathread for the loonies to go at it is in order.

Irrespective of your opinion any normal person must be tired of 'debating' this at this stage.

Sorry, but what is this all about? Who are the loonies? I haven't seen anything crazy posted on this thread. This is the second time someone has come along with a very hostile post. If this topic has been done so much and there's nothing else to discuss, then surely someone already has to answers to explain the Dublin county board accounts? Someone has to have an answer to all the questions. If not, then obviously this topic is not dead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement