Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good article detailing Dublin's unfair funding advantage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Colm Parkinson's interview with the Director-General demonstrates how little interest the GAA have in changing the status quo.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/193124-193124

Things will never change at the top of the GAA.

So Wooly is blaming Dublin for Laois lack of success?

Laois have won the Leinster SFC six times, and the hurling three times.

All Dublin's fault obviously …………

He would know all about money being used to try to buy championships, although I hope Parnells got a refund

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Bonniedog wrote: »
    So Wooly is blaming Dublin for Laois lack of success?

Laois have won the Leinster SFC six times, and the hurling three times.

All Dublin's fault obviously …………

He would know all about money being used to try to buy championships, although I hope Parnells got a refund

He was pointing out that Laois and the rest in Leinster no longer have a hope of competing with Dublin as everything has become so skewed in Dublin's favour.

Practically everyone agrees that its not an even playing field in virtually all respects.

The AI is fast becoming a similar farce to the Scottish Premier League or the French Ligue 1, where Celtic and PSG have vast resources compared to the rest.

As for Parnells, a Dublin team, buying a championship, well what a surprise!

The point being, Parnells did not buy the championship. You could give them the entire mythical 18 million and the pick of Laois and they still wouldn't win the fkn thing :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

The point being, Parnells did not buy the championship. You could give them the entire mythical 18 million and the pick of Laois and they still wouldn't win the fkn thing :-)

Why did you add mythical in there? There is no question over this money is there? 18 million is about the minimum Dublin have received.

Unlike with soccer, you can't buy championships overnight. But you can buy them in the long run, ie over the course of a decade or two, with long term coaching and the finances to back it up. In a sport like Gaelic football, where transfers are rare, you need to spend millions coaching your youth to a high standard and then see them flourish at senior level. It takes years and millions to do what Dublin did. No other county was able to adopt that approach. Other counties had very limited resources given to them by the GAA for games development compared to Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭gaffer91

Colm Parkinson's interview with the Director-General demonstrates how little interest the GAA have in changing the status quo.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/193124-193124

Things will never change at the top of the GAA.

That's a very worrying interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

gaffer91 wrote: »

Wooly was using the Leinster Final attendance as a frame of reference for the dwindling interest in the Leinster Championship. But last years AI semi's were in half-empty crokers too. Both occasions were flat as they come. The Director-General in the interview seemed to be unconcerned about these facts I can't help but think market forces will drive decision making in the future. We just might have to wait 7/8 years to see the benefits of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭threeball

Clareman wrote: »
    I don't know if you are calling me a troll or not.

How about instead of looking at the 17 million just look at the parts that worked and take that and factor it down by the population of the county being looked at. Let's assume that some money was "lost" doing wrong stuff or trials or or captital projects or something so we can say that ~14million was right on the money (pun intended), that works out at ~1.4 million per year or €1 per person, now I know the arguement can be made that lots of people have no interest in GAA in Dublin but that can go for every county.

Now I don't think it's feasible to flood the country with development officers but maybe the provincial councils could centrally operate it, I would also suggest that all this work would be limited to underage and no funding should go to senior

You've obviously never heard of economies of scale. Look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

In fairness what was he supposed to say? I don’t believe there is a plan btw, but even if there was there is no way it will be disclosed in an interview like that.

One thing I do believe is that the GAA are in panic mode in relation to falling attendances and an almost palpable apathy towards football from the general public, partly / mostly caused by Dublin’s stranglehold on the game. Even the Dubs fans aren’t attending games any more as they are bored of the utter domination. Between the Super 8 flop last year and all these rule changes in 2019 they are scrambling desperately to rescue interest in football.

I don’t think they have a clue what to do now to reinvigorate the game quite honestly.

In fairness what was he supposed to say? I don’t believe there is a plan btw, but even if there was there is no way it will be disclosed in an interview like that.

One thing I do believe is that the GAA are in panic mode in relation to falling attendances and an almost palpable apathy towards football from the general public, partly / mostly caused by Dublin’s stranglehold on the game. Even the Dubs fans aren’t attending games any more as they are bored of the utter domination. Between the Super 8 flop last year and all these rule changes in 2019 they are scrambling desperately to rescue interest in football.

I don’t think they have a clue what to do now to reinvigorate the game quite honestly.

Ah, not just the lack of a contingency plan- also the refusal to properly accept that Gaelic Football is in a state of crisis, and also a reluctance to accept that overfunding of Dublin is unfair.

• Advertisement

Redistributing the wealth would be a good place to start. Its all well and good for the big wigs going on about how Dublin is a cash cow for the game. If theres no game then theres no point in having a cash cow. Hurling is rapidly going to overtake football. You can already see it in counties like Galway where traditional football strongholds in the east and north are quickly becoming hurling areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

AAnother good article detailing Dublin's financial advantages and the inherent unfairness of them.

The author is Ewan MacKenna once again- I'm aware people don't like him because he is of one of the few voices in the sports media who consistently calls out the Dubs and their unfair advantages (and because he can be quite combative generally), but please actually address the points he makes in the article rather than attacking his other work.

This funding imbalance has to be addressed- if Dublin continue to dominate, people will lose interest in Gaelic Football. The decline has probably already started- the attendance decline noted last week is ominous.

McKenna combative? You prove him wrong & it usually shuts him up replying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

threeball wrote: »
    Redistributing the wealth would be a good place to start. Its all well and good for the big wigs going on about how Dublin is a cash cow for the game. If theres no game then theres no point in having a cash cow. Hurling is rapidly going to overtake football. You can already see it in counties like Galway where traditional football strongholds in the east and north are quickly becoming hurling areas.

Example?
    Maybe just kids are playing both?

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Example?
    Maybe just kids are playing both?

For the first time ever this year the minor team that won the all ireland had close to 50% of the team coming from areas that are traditional football strongholds.

threeball wrote: »
    For the first time ever this year the minor team that won the all ireland had close to 50% of the team coming from areas that are traditional football strongholds.

Which proves younger players are turning away from football and towards hurling where there is actually a level playing field and one county has not been singled out for special treatment and extra resources by the GAA.

I'm trying to think of a comparison for how the GAA treat Dublin. Maybe if the administrators of the English Premier League pumped millions into one club alone and effectively became shareholders in that club. Because the GAA have made no secret of wanting Dublin to succeed and see themselves as shareholders in that success.

It creates unfair and unbalanced competition. If only the suits in GAA headquarters were smart enough to see this, but they aren't.

I'm beginning to believe only some form of supporter boycott would challenge the status quo and bring about a fairer championship and distribution of wealth. Dublin has had its fill, time to let other counties have at least a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

there are parts of north Galway that might be football strongholds but they've done very little in football terms for 20+ years!

EICVD wrote: »
    McKenna combative? You prove him wrong & it usually shuts him up replying!

McKenna wrote the article that this thread is about? If so then he is 100% correct, nothing to argue about.

Just on the attendances point. Leinster final attendances:

2018 Dublin v Laois - 41,728
    2017 Dublin v Kildare - 66,734
    2016 Dublin v Westmeath - 38,885
    2015 Dublin v Westmeath - 47,840
    2014 Dublin v Meath - 62,660
    2013 Dublin v Meath - 54,485
    2012 Dublin v Meath - 69,657
    2011 Dublin v Wexford - 43,983
    2010 Louth v Meath - 48,875
    2009 Dublin v Kildare - 74, 573
    2008 Dublin v Wexford - 80,112
    2007 Dublin v Laois - 81,394
    2006 Dublin v Offaly - 81,754
    2005 Dublin v Laois - 81,025

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I don't get the fascination some people have with "small" attendances at matches, 41k is a massive crowd to have at a quarter final match, even if Dublin are playing, by comparison Leinster have played a number of Pro 14 finals down through the years and have only had a larger attendance once, ffs, most times they played the final in the RDS

2018 Dublin v Laois - 41,728 Pro 14 final with Leinster - 46,092
    2016 Dublin v Westmeath - 38,885 Pro 14 final with Leinster - 34,550
    2014 Dublin v Meath - 62,660 Pro 14 final with Leinster - 19,200
    2013 Dublin v Meath - 54,485 Pro 14 final with Leinster - 19,200
    2012 Dublin v Meath - 69,657 Pro 14 final with Leinster - 18,500
    2010 Louth v Meath - 48,875 Pro 14 final with Leinster - 19,500

I don't get the fascination some people have with "small" attendances at matches, 41k is a massive crowd to have at a quarter final match, even if Dublin are playing, by comparison Leinster have played a number of Pro 14 finals down through the years and have only had a larger attendance once, ffs, most times they played the final in the RDS

What has rugby go to do with this? Lowering attendances affect all counties in the GAA. It's gone from sell outs every year to half full. If the trend continues (and there's no reason to suggest that it won't), then the revenue lost will be huge.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It hasn't been a sell out for over a decade and looking at the fact that the last time Dublin weren't in the final had 1 of the smallest attendances. Last year the championship was changed to the Super 8s so the mystique of a Leinster final was taken away which I think contributed to the massive drop off in attendance.

My point is, that even though that the finals aren't a sell out they are still massive sporting attendances for Ireland and when compared with other sports they are by far more popular.

Are you joking? Your response to a record of significantly declining attendances is to start comparing it with a different, unrelated sport? Laughable.

Then in your next post, you acknowledge that there has been a significant decline over the last 10 years but somehow don't connect that with Dublin dominance.

It hasn't been a sell out for over a decade and looking at the fact that the last time Dublin weren't in the final had 1 of the smallest attendances. Last year the championship was changed to the Super 8s so the mystique of a Leinster final was taken away which I think contributed to the massive drop off in attendance.

My point is, that even though that the finals aren't a sell out they are still massive sporting attendances for Ireland and when compared with other sports they are by far more popular.

Ah yes, it hasn't been a sell out since Dublin won 4 in a row, ie. exactly the point. An uncompetitive Leinster championship directly resulted in a huge drop off in attendance. It wasn't just a one off last year, read the numbers.

Are you joking? Your response to a record of significantly declining attendances is to start comparing it with a different, unrelated sport? Laughable.

Then in your next post, you acknowledge that there has been a significant decline over the last 10 years but somehow don't connect that with Dublin dominance.

I'm saying that attendances, even though they are down, are still extremely good attendances, any other sport in the country would be delighted with them.

Non-comeptitive matches of course will have a massive impact on attendance as will a lot of other factors. Personally, I think the GAA are missing a massive trick by not promoting their matches better, they are relying solely on the matches as the attraction whereas they could be selling the event, make it family friendly, have entertainment, have loads of other stuff

I'm saying that attendances, even though they are down, are still extremely good attendances, any other sport in the country would be delighted with them.

Non-comeptitive matches of course will have a massive impact on attendance as will a lot of other factors. Personally, I think the GAA are missing a massive trick by not promoting their matches better, they are relying solely on the matches as the attraction whereas they could be selling the event, make it family friendly, have entertainment, have loads of other stuff

Basically, you are just bringing up irrelevant topics.

Attendances were brought up and I gave my opinion, which I don't think I'll be doing in this thread again, I remember now why I stepped down from modding here.

Attendances were brought up and I gave my opinion, which I don't think I'll be doing in this thread again, I remember now why I stepped down from modding here.

Bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

They are not just down though, they have literally collapsed in a short space of time.

GAA can package tickets any way they want, as long as the main event is a formality with one side having no chance of victory the crowds won’t come back.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    there are parts of north Galway that might be football strongholds but they've done very little in football terms for 20+ years!

What's that got to do with anything. Up to 10yrs ago young lads in those areas wouldn't have known one end a hurl from the other. Now they're part of all Ireland winning teams. The apathy towards football is driving more and more lads towards other sports, not just hurling.

• Advertisement

You don't really like Dublin at all do you Frank?

On another thread you are an advocate of building multiple high rises around the city to accommodate presumably the hundreds of thousands more immigrants planned for in Project 2040.

So, in about 50 years time your hated Dubs will have ceased to exist other than as a minority in their own city.

Meanwhile rural Ireland will be drained of its young who will continue to emigrate in large numbers, one of the consequences being the loss of players for the GAA.

You don't reallydo "joined up thinking", do you?

Tabloid ephemera.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement