Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good article detailing Dublin's unfair funding advantage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Clareman wrote: »
    The GAA is 1 of the laziest, reactionary organisation that you will ever come across, rarely will they ever go out of their way to do anything proactive or to promote their games, for example go to a rugby match and see the event you are going to, you're lucky to get a song played over the intercom at a GAA match. Saying that, if you go to them with a proper plan with ideas and targets there is funding to be got

The money Dublin got was ring fenced as part of an effort to boost the game in the capital and was not open to others to apply for. You make out like other counties just haven’t bothered to get off their arses to apply. I really don’t know why I continue to respond to your generalised nonsense. You clearly aren’t very well up on the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Blud

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Once again people are choosing to ignore the bigger picture and are fixated on the central council grant for Dublin.

I'll leave you with this - in 2017 all the other counties in Leinster received an additional 5.3 million in games development from the Leinster council, of which 2.3 million was spent on GPO's, . Dublin with 1.3 million has 78 GPO's, the rest of Leinster with approx 1.4 million has 79 GPO's.

Make of it what you will but shine your light a little brighter on the complete issue instead of taking the likes of McKenna as the Bible on these matters

Number of GPO's has little to do with spending. As can be seen when you take the point you make here, and then look at the money allocated to Dublin of €17,916,477 compared to the rest of Leinster put together of €10,501,066.

And mileage paid to Dublin GPO's would be s lot less than the rest of Leinster too. The GPO argument does not compute.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Blud

It could be argued that they were both coming from the same base as they targetting under age to get up.

The hurlers featured in a couple of minor finals and 1 under 21 final in the early part of this decade but they aren't showing signs of making a breakthrough, I think 2013 was their chance.

You have posted a lot in this thread and it looks like you haven't even read the article linked by the OP.

The hurling argument is addressed by MacKenna. He says the hurlers in Dublin are at their strongest level since the 40s.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Very strange post!

Whether someone posts frequently in here or not has nothing to do with whether they are a big fan or not. There are bigger fans than you who never post here.

Anyway, good luck with your research :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

If allowing Dublin dominate Leinster brought up the rest of Leinster through more funding by all means go for it.
    But its not.
    The rest of Leinster is struggling. Meath and/or Kildare may get promoted to Division 1 of the league but would more than likely go straight back down. Their performances are average usually in the championship. Dublin aside, there is no other Leinster team remotely close to reaching an AI semi final or final.
    When was the last time a Leinster county other than Dublin played in an AI semi final?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭shmeee

Every intercounty team should have a budget ceiling.

Dublin's players have a huge backroom team and access to a whole team of professionals, dieticians, sports scientists, etc and lots of weekends away

23 as of two years ago https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/dublin-backroom-team-picture-98181

Very few counties can compete with that and Kerry and Mayo spend around 1million a year most of which is self funded.

Cap the spend at €500,000 per team and it's an even playing field.

Kerry have selectors, Donie Buckley strength and conditioning, a team doctor and I dont know what else they have but don't think it's anywhere near that.

Come out of the fog, Kerry have as many involved in their backroom team.

Tipperary hurling have a vast backroom team.

23 involved in their 2016 All Ireland success and I believe even more involved this season.

1211588.jpg

It's not uncommon for counties and it mostly goes un-noticed.

Other counties may not pay most of their backroom staff unlike Dublin but still large numbers involved and if you think Kerry only have a handful on their backroom team, then you fooling yourself.

No amount of getting their house in order will make other counties catch up.

The AI used to be interesting and competitive when everyone was on a level playing field.

But as soon as Dublin enjoyed financial doping, they were always going to be difficult to catch.

Just like Lance Armstrong and his 7 TDF's, no-one has a hope of catching them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

shmeee wrote: »
    Come out of the fog, Kerry have as many involved in their backroom team.

Tipperary hurling have a vast backroom team.

23 involved in their 2016 All Ireland success and I believe even more involved this season.

1211588.jpg

It's not uncommon for counties and it mostly goes un-noticed.

Other counties may not pay most of their backroom staff unlike Dublin but still large numbers involved and if you think Kerry only have a handful on their backroom team, then you fooling yourself.

Clare used to have 2 buses going to matches, 1 for players and 1 for back room staff, and the back room staff didn't include the kitmen who went in their own van

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭gaffer91

Defunkd wrote: »
    Haven't thought too much on it but it strikes me as a numbers game.
    Dublin has 1.2 million people. Get them winning and the revenue will roll in. Dublin alone has the ability to fill the coffers of the GAA. Bandwagoners, fairweather fans... it doesn't matter...once they are spending, spending, spending.

Maybe i'm being cynical but whenever money is involved it becomes the priority.

No you're right- the initial motivation for the overfund, at least in part, was due to a feeling from HQ that what was good for Dublin was good for the game i.e increased ticket sales etc. However, we're actually seeing the opposite effect- attendance figures are declining. While pundits have attributed this to many things e.g football that is perceived to be unattractive being played, my own feeling is that a lot of the disinterest is stemming from Dublin's dominance.
    Fair enough, this is just a discussion not an exam on Gaelic Football knowledge.

Yes, but it's considered good form that at least have some bit of knowledge on a subject before you start spouting on endlessly. You're hopelessly uninformed and seem to be quite unaware of this fact.

The players still need to be developed, why not just give every player 10k and tell them to do whatever they thing will work for them. Dublin have put in the proper structures and are reaping the rewards, there is nothing stopping other counties doing the same.

Again, the money helps the players development considerably. There is something stopping other counties doing the same- they aren't funded anywhere near to the same extent. (They also have much smaller populations but it's the funding discrepancy that this article and thread are about).

Money helps improve sporting results- this has been proven in virtually every major sport.

I don't care either way but I'd like GAA sports to be played and developed in every county/town in Ireland so I wouldn't like to see any county just cast out.

How does equal, fairer funding for counties mean that one county is "cast out"?

Chicken and egg scenario, did the structures lead to funding which in turn led to success or did funding lead to funding which led to success. In my opinion, Dublin County Board put structures in place, tested what was working, developed it and got funding.

What are you waffling on about (again)? You have no basis for this.
    Poor Leinster championship, only need to start playing in August, massively skilled and eager squad of players, underage success feeding through, management with backing of the county board. Am I missing anything?

Yeah, you're missing the most important point as it happens- one county being funded multiples of what every other county is being funded. As well as playing games at home, population etc.

The GAA is bad enough besides turning it into a communist organisation :D:D:D
    My local club just did a Dancing with the Stars night, I guess they should divide the procedes of the night and give every other club in Clare a cut.

Why should Dublin keep all this money rather than it being used to help the organisation as a whole? It's an amateur sport. There's no reason the money couldn't help everyone rather than just the country which was many other unfair advantages.

I'm not keen on defending Dublin getting more funding, I just think it's a smoke screen for other issues and other counties should be concentrating on themselves rather than making excuses.

It's not a smoke screen. It's not an excuse. If you're not keen on Dublin getting more funding, why do you keep making ill-informed posts defending them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Gael85

Clare used to have 2 buses going to matches, 1 for players and 1 for back room staff, and the back room staff didn't include the kitmen who went in their own van

Someone was telling me years ago there was around 50 in backroom team under Davy Fitz.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Gael85 wrote: »
    Someone was telling me years ago there was around 50 in backroom team under Davy Fitz.

I think there was 63 for a finish but I'm not sure

I heard it was 100.

Let's just throw around random numbers without any sources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

The GAA is 1 of the laziest, reactionary organisation that you will ever come across, rarely will they ever go out of their way to do anything proactive or to promote their games, for example go to a rugby match and see the event you are going to, you're lucky to get a song played over the intercom at a GAA match.

wow.
    go to a concert so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

I won't get back into this argument again. The last time nearly was the death of me with that poster I won't name. General gist I think is they decided around 2005 to start pumping huge money into Dublin. At the time it was actually considered to split Dublin in two. This was not because they were so strong but more because of how poorly the Dublin county board was operating (this could ironically be where this split Dublin in two started)

It was decided not to split the county boards in two and things progressed. Plans were put in place and followed through on. New clubs set up. Coaches put into disadvantaged areas. Multitude of great things that the Gaa and Dublin county board should be proud of.

Fast forward to now and issues have arisen about how much Dublin have won. For me personally. I don't buy it. The wrongs of Gaa in Dublin were righted. And their house is in order. Successful teams will prosper without hindrance. But for me they are not succeeded because of an unfair advantage. If this was the case the hurling teams and Dublin underage would be wiping the floor with everyone as this money should be seeing great results now. This isn't the case even though Dublin's underage success has improved over the years. (For a county of its size it should be a lot better than what it was.)

My last point would be there is no transfer of players for money in the Gaa. Dublin senior teams spend on par with most top counties. The back room staff would be mostly the same. All the money in the world won't produce a Clifford, Shane Walsh, Lee Keegan or any amount of other top players. Gaa are not manufactured by money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭gaffer91

@Happyilylost- dreadful post and very poor analysis.

Fast forward to now and issues have arisen about how much Dublin have won. For me personally. I don't buy it.

Yes, the increase in funding and subsequent Leinster and All- Ireland success going hand in hand was pure coincidence.

But for me they are not succeeded because of an unfair advantage.

Yeah, funding one team to the tune of millions more than everyone else isn't unfair. Nothing to see here.

My last point would be there is no transfer of players for money in the Gaa. Dublin senior teams spend on par with most top counties. The back room staff would be mostly the same. All the money in the world won't produce a Clifford, Shane Walsh, Lee Keegan or any amount of other top players. Gaa are not manufactured by money.

Yes but the money will enable you to find the Clifford's, Shane Walsh's and Lee Keegans and develop them to their fullest potential. And develop many more besides.

Money makes a huge difference in sport. This is indisputable. And if you disagree you'll have no problem with the funding being equalized.

Sure, and Lance Armstrong won all those TDFs while riding clean.

The fact is, one participant in a sport, Dublin have been given what many regard as not one but many advantages over the rest. No matter what sport it is, this is going to lead to imbalances and an unfair playing field.

The EU have rules against state aid. Its to ensure everyone participates on an even playing field and no-one gets an advantage.

Its time to look at something similar for GAA counties.

Not alone do Dublin have a massive population advantage, local stadium for all big games, advantage of players not having to travel long distances for training, but they also now enjoy substantial financial advantages and more coaches.

Its not a level playing field. And the only one who will argue it is are Dublin supporters. Quelle Surprise! And when someone points it out, they cry begrudgery and all that nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Sonny678

If allowing Dublin dominate Leinster brought up the rest of Leinster through more funding by all means go for it. But its not. The rest of Leinster is struggling. Meath and/or Kildare may get promoted to Division 1 of the league but would more than likely go straight back down. Their performances are average usually in the championship. Dublin aside, there is no other Leinster team remotely close to reaching an AI semi final or final. When was the last time a Leinster county other than Dublin played in an AI semi final?

Ten points to show how bad things r in leinster football , leinster football championship is at an All time low.

1 The last time leinster team played in an Al semi final other then Dublin was kildare in 2010. That is the only time a leinster team has reached All semi final in the last 18 years ( other then Dublin). No leinster team other then Dublin has reached an All Ireland final in 18 years. This is unprecedented.

2 No leinster team other then Dublin has won Under 21 All Ireland in 20 years. Westmeath was the last time a leinster team other then Dublin, won Under 21 All Ireland. ( Kildare did win new Under 20 All Ireland last year which is first time in 16 years a leinster team has won All-Ireland underage title).

3 No leinster team other then Dublin has won a minor All-Ireland title in 16 years when Laois won minor in 2003. Only 1 leinster team other then Dublin has reached minor All Ireland final in 16 years. That was Meath in 2012.

4 Dublin have faced no consistent division 1 leinster opposition since early 00s. Kildare were in div 3 years in this decade. Meath havent been in div 1 since 2006. That is unprecedented. You always had in every decade at least three top div 1 teams in leinster.

5 This decade is the most uncompetitive decade in 140 years of leinster championship.

6 This is Meaths worst decade since 1920s. First decade to not reach All Ireland final in 100 years. Record defeats to Dublin. Bad defeats to Westmeath and longford. Meath have spent 18 of the last 20 years in div 2.

7 This is kildares worst decade along with 1980s in 100 years. Record championship defeats to kerry and Dublin. No win in Croker in 6 years. 1 leinster final appearance in 10 years. 3 Relegations in last 5 years.

8 This is Offalys worst decade since 1950s. This will be first decade Offaly have not reached a leinster final since 1950s. Offaly have spent the whole decade in div 3 and div 4. This is the first time in 70 years this has happened.

9 This is laois worst decade since 1970s. Laois played in div 4 last year for first time in 50 years.

10 Leinster football championship is in a dire state. No team has beaten Dublin since Meath in 2010 and no team in leinster championship has got close to Dublin since Meath lost by 3 points in 2012 leinster final.

Just to make the point the reason why the above counties r in the state has very little to do with Dublin. Its internal issues that r the reason. I can give u 30 or more reasons why Meath football has declined and not 1 mention of Dublin. The issue is in the future. Has the gap between Dublin and other counties in leinster, is the gap to big for a county in leinster to close in the future.

There r signs at underage things r changing.
    Meath have won two consecutive minor leinster titles and have beating Dublin 4 times in 4 years at minor.
    Kildare won leinster and All-Ireland Under 20 title. A great All-Ireland to win hammering Dublin in leinster final and beating kerry and Mayo.
    Wicklow defeated Dublin at minor leinster last year.
    While Offaly r improving at underage also.
    Meath have possibly their strongest minor team in years this year.
    So maybe there r signs of life in leinster for the future.

Sonny678 wrote: »
    Ten points to show how bad things r in leinster football , leinster football championship is at an All time low.

1 The last time leinster team played in an Al semi final other then Dublin was kildare in 2010. That is the only time a leinster team has reached All semi final in the last 18 years ( other then Dublin). No leinster team other then Dublin has reached an All Ireland final in 18 years. This is unprecedented.

2 No leinster team other then Dublin has won Under 21 All Ireland in 20 years. Westmeath was the last time a leinster team other then Dublin, won Under 21 All Ireland. ( Kildare did win new Under 20 All Ireland last year which is first time in 16 years a leinster team has won All-Ireland underage title).

3 No leinster team other then Dublin has won a minor All-Ireland title in 16 years when Laois won minor in 2003. Only 1 leinster team other then Dublin has reached minor All Ireland final in 16 years. That was Meath in 2012.

4 Dublin have faced no consistent division 1 leinster opposition since early 00s. Kildare were in div 3 years in this decade. Meath havent been in div 1 since 2006. That is unprecedented. You always had in every decade at least three top div 1 teams in leinster.

5 This decade is the most uncompetitive decade in 140 years of leinster championship.

6 This is Meaths worst decade since 1920s. First decade to not reach All Ireland final in 100 years. Record defeats to Dublin. Bad defeats to Westmeath and longford. Meath have spent 18 of the last 20 years in div 2.

7 This is kildares worst decade along with 1980s in 100 years. Record championship defeats to kerry and Dublin. No win in Croker in 6 years. 1 leinster final appearance in 10 years. 3 Relegations in last 5 years.

8 This is Offalys worst decade since 1950s. This will be first decade Offaly have not reached a leinster final since 1950s. Offaly have spent the whole decade in div 3 and div 4. This is the first time in 70 years this has happened.

9 This is laois worst decade since 1970s. Laois played in div 4 last year for first time in 50 years.

10 Leinster football championship is in a dire state. No team has beaten Dublin since Meath in 2010 and no team in leinster championship has got close to Dublin since Meath lost by 3 points in 2012 leinster final.

Just to make the point the reason why the above counties r in the state has very little to do with Dublin. Its internal issues that r the reason. I can give u 30 or more reasons why Meath football has declined and not 1 mention of Dublin. The issue is in the future. Has the gap between Dublin and other counties in leinster, is the gap to big for a county in leinster to close in the future.

There r signs at underage things r changing.
    Meath have won two consecutive minor leinster titles and have beating Dublin 4 times in 4 years at minor.
    Kildare won leinster and All-Ireland Under 20 title. A great All-Ireland to win hammering Dublin in leinster final and beating kerry and Mayo.
    Wicklow defeated Dublin at minor leinster last year.
    While Offaly r improving at underage also.
    Meath have possibly their strongest minor team in years this year.
    So maybe there r signs of life in leinster for the future.

Sorry, I'm not buying it.

Its clear as day that the millions being spent on Dublin should be taken away from them and instead spent on the rest of Leinster. This is the only way to help the other Leinster counties. To say its got nothing to do with Dublin is not true. Again re the even playing field. Everyone getting the same resources. It looks like the rest of Leinster is being starved of funding while Dublin gets virtually the lot. No wonder the vast differences continue.

However the influence counties like Carlow or Longford have are minimal compared to Dublin. Everything is Dublin centric in this country and will continue that way. So Dublin and Dubliners will shout down anyone who suggests an alternative. They will always point to the "Others should get their house in order" nonsense. Its very difficult to get your house in order when you have minimal funds to do it. When you have vast funds you can afford to make numerous mistakes and no-one will notice. When funds are tight even one or two mistakes will cause problems. And simply put the other Leinster counties don't have the vast number of coaches or players coming through. So they will always be at a disadvantage long term with Dublin.

The Leinster counties are not improving in comparison to the rest of the country. Instead of the Dublin tide raising other boats in the province, it seems instead to have sunk them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Its clear as day that the millions being spent on Dublin should be taken away from them and instead spent on the rest of Leinster. This is the only way to help the other Leinster counties. To say its got nothing to do with Dublin is not true. Again re the even playing field. Everyone getting the same resources. It looks like the rest of Leinster is being starved of funding while Dublin gets virtually the lot. No wonder the vast differences continue.

However the influence counties like Carlow or Longford have are minimal compared to Dublin. Everything is Dublin centric in this country and will continue that way. So Dublin and Dubliners will shout down anyone who suggests an alternative. They will always point to the "Others should get their house in order" nonsense. Its very difficult to get your house in order when you have minimal funds to do it. When you have vast funds you can afford to make numerous mistakes and no-one will notice. When funds are tight even one or two mistakes will cause problems. And simply put the other Leinster counties don't have the vast number of coaches or players coming through. So they will always be at a disadvantage long term with Dublin.

The Leinster counties are not improving in comparison to the rest of the country. Instead of the Dublin tide raising other boats in the province, it seems instead to have sunk them.

There r signs that leinster at underage things r changing.
    Take leinster under 20 championship this year. I wud say it is the most competitive at this age group in leinster in over a decade eg under20/21. Dublin of course r strong. kildare will have players who won All Ireland under 20 title last year. Meath will have players who were only team to beat All Ireland Under 20 champions in championship last and players from two leinster minor winning team.
    kildare have introduced 6 or 7 players from under 20 winning team and r making a positive impact on senior in this yeara league . Meaths are top of div 2 partly because of introduction of 5 under 21 players to the team in this years league. And the feeling in Meath this is the first influx of best talent Meath have produced since 90s at underage. With the hope of two strong minor teams in next two years and hope that u will see Meath win leinster under 20 title in next 2 to 3 years.
    Both Meath and kildare r improving at underage and both will continue with both counties getting their act together at underage in response to Dublin. And even in the last 6 months both counties have improved and went up a level in terms of underage coaching organisations and preparation.
    While there has been investment in louth and Wicklow and already with Wicklow beating Dubs at minor last year u can see positive results for Wicklow. There r signs of potential. But time will tell if this potential will turn into senior sucess v Dubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

Someone posted a huge list of sponsors that Dublin have earlier in the thread. Where does that money go? Couldn't they spend that on games development?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

Also, someone posted that Dublin get 0 from the Leinster council while all the other counties get 5 million, why is that?

Sonny678 wrote: »
    There r signs that leinster at underage things r changing.
    Take leinster under 20 championship this year. I wud say it is the most competitive at this age group in leinster in over a decade eg under20/21. Dublin of course r strong. kildare will have players who won All Ireland under 20 title last year. Meath will have players who were only team to beat All Ireland Under 20 champions in championship last and players from two leinster minor winning team.
    kildare have introduced 6 or 7 players from under 20 winning team and r making a positive impact on senior in this yeara league . Meaths are top of div 2 partly because of introduction of 5 under 21 players to the team in this years league. And the feeling in Meath this is the first influx of best talent Meath have produced since 90s at underage. With the hope of two strong minor teams in next two years and hope that u will see Meath win leinster under 20 title in next 2 to 3 years.
    Both Meath and kildare r improving at underage and both will continue with both counties getting their act together at underage in response to Dublin. And even in the last 6 months both counties have improved and went up a level in terms of underage coaching organisations and preparation.
    While there has been investment in louth and Wicklow and already with Wicklow beating Dubs at minor last year u can see positive results for Wicklow. There r signs of potential. But time will tell if this potential will turn into senior sucess v Dubs.

That's only the tip of the iceberg though
    Underneath all of that most counties in Leinster are struggling
    There just doesn't seem to be any eagerness from the GAA hierarchy to reduce Dublins allocation and get more coaching resources to other counties

• Registered Users Posts: 27,225 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Rubbish, because as shown earlier in the thread, this is already happening. The number of GDOs per capita is the same in the rest of Leinster as it is in Dublin. Unless you want to deny chances to young kids in underprivileged areas of Dublin, there is no reason for further changes.

Yes, the funding was imbalanced in the past, but it no longer is. Why was it unbalanced? Because Dublin put a plan together to get kids on to playing fields. Go out to Dublin 15 and look at the clubs that have expanded there.

Dublin have focussed on increasing juvenile participation rates, Mayo have focussed on subsidising the senior football team, Kerry have focussed on hothousing the better youth players. I will take the Dublin approach every time.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Rubbish, because as shown earlier in the thread, this is already happening. The number of GDOs per capita is the same in the rest of Leinster as it is in Dublin. Unless you want to deny chances to young kids in underprivileged areas of Dublin, there is no reason for further changes.

Yes, the funding was imbalanced in the past, but it no longer is. Why was it unbalanced? Because Dublin put a plan together to get kids on to playing fields. Go out to Dublin 15 and look at the clubs that have expanded there.

Dublin have focussed on increasing juvenile participation rates, Mayo have focussed on subsidising the senior football team, Kerry have focussed on hothousing the better youth players. I will take the Dublin approach every time.

That's ridiculous
    The coaching hours delivered in most counties outside of Dublin are done by part time coaches
    Mayo and Kerry do not misspend development money funds.
    Hothousing? Wtf does that mean?

Every county in Ireland is trying to improve participation rates, without the level of funding that Dublin get.
    There are provincial towns all over the country that could do with a full time coaches in order to develop the expanding populations but there's no matching funds from HQ.

You only have 3 clubs in Dublin 15 with a population of 80,000+

In rural Roscommon despite having only 65000 population there are 28 clubs.
    If Dublin GAA really were about maximising participation then there's be 10+ clubs out there

Instead of penalising Dublin for a job well done why get the model that they have (which is clearly working) and give it to every other county that wants it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭threeball

New Zealand are an interesting case their Rugby heritage is a huge factor and it’s really the only sport taken seriously there. I doubt their team want for anything btw, so saying limited resources might be stretching it. Ireland arguably overachieve just as much considering Rugby competes with other high level sports here.

The New Zealand argument is a joke. Country roughly the same size as ours number one in the world, entirely focused on one sport with funding of that sport to match (with a load of Maori Monsters perfectly suited to the sport too). No.2 in the world, a country who commits more numbers to 3 other sports but where the investment in players and their welfare is about the best in the world and making sure those players have everything they need, are rested etc. Ireland only really started investing money in Rugby in the early 90's before which we were one hit wonders every 20years. Today we're consistently at the top table and in the running for honors at club and international level. But of course money made no difference, it was just a great plan.

threeball wrote: »

The New Zealand argument is a joke. Country roughly the same size as ours number one in the world, entirely focused on one sport with funding of that sport to match (with a load of Maori Monsters perfectly suited to the sport too). No.2 in the world, a country who commits more numbers to 3 other sports but where the investment in players and their welfare is about the best in the world and making sure those players have everything they need, are rested etc. Ireland only really started investing money in Rugby in the early 90's before which we were one hit wonders every 20years. Today we're consistently at the top table and in the running for honors at club and international level. But of course money made no difference, it was just a great plan.

There's more to NZ than Rugby, at the 2016 Olympics they were 19th best county by medals, 2012 they were 15th, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_at_the_2012_Summer_Olympics, 2008 they were 25th, and in 2004 they were 24th.

The "legend" of New Zealand rugby is they knew they wouldn't win on the battle field but they would on the rugby field.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    That's ridiculous
    The coaching hours delivered in most counties outside of Dublin are done by part time coaches
    Mayo and Kerry do not misspend development money funds.
    Hothousing? Wtf does that mean?

Every county in Ireland is trying to improve participation rates, without the level of funding that Dublin get.
    There are provincial towns all over the country that could do with a full time coaches in order to develop the expanding populations but there's no matching funds from HQ.

You only have 3 clubs in Dublin 15 with a population of 80,000+

In rural Roscommon despite having only 65000 population there are 28 clubs.
    If Dublin GAA really were about maximising participation then there's be 10+ clubs out there

I think ‘hothousing’ means the underage development squads that Kerry (and many other counties) operate. I don’t have figures but I really can’t imagine that this is a huge expense at all. Perhaps blanch can enlighten us seeing as he is the one claiming that this is where Kerry spend the bulk of their money.

I’d be amazed if there aren’t similar development programmes in Dublin.

Instead of penalising Dublin for a job well done why get the model that they have (which is clearly working) and give it to every other county that wants it?

Because the GAA would go broke funding every county to the same level they fund Dublin. The spend per player should be the same in every county. County teams should be separate, allocated a certain fund each year and made to stay within it. Once you progress outside your province additional funds would be available but the bulk of spending would be early in the year.

• Advertisement

I think ‘hothousing’ means the underage development squads that Kerry (and many other counties) operate. I don’t have figures but I really can’t imagine that this is a huge expense at all. Perhaps blanch can enlighten us seeing as he is the one claiming that this is where Kerry spend the bulk of their money.

I’d be amazed if there aren’t similar development programmes in Dublin.

Dublin do it just as much if not more. Theres lads coming into the Dublin team at 20years old with conditioning not seen by most players until they have 3years IC behind them. This doesn't happen by accident or because some lad is dedicated and goes to the gym. It requires a team and an environment to produce that end product.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement