Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

24567290

Comments

  • Posts: 21,179 ✭✭✭✭[Deleted User]


    At least with the AC points you can charge 2 cars, can't charge 2 with 1 DC even if it charges faster.

    2 X 20 Kw DC would be better.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth


    At least with the AC points you can charge 2 cars, can't charge 2 with 1 DC even if it charges faster.

    2 X 20 Kw DC would be better.


    Same chargers in france can, if someone hops up it splits the charge to ccs and chademo. This seems to encourage people to stay in car and if a car comes up they normally wait a little then ask if they can plug in and split the charge.

    This happened to me twice in France on hols this year.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer


    liamog wrote: »
    My understanding is that at least 50 of the existing of the existing 22kW chargers will be upgraded to 50kW.

    I know of two which were updated to 50kW DC this year - Nenagh & the M7 (B'OB Plaza - Monegall).


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭daheff


    went to use the new charger in leixlip train station during the week.... but both the sockets were not working. So they replaced a working unit with one that wouldn't work.

    Sockets felt like there was a lock at the edges of the socket. Rang ESB and they couldn't fo anything... unit went offline on them as i was talking with them.


  • Registered Users Posts: 64,281 ✭✭✭✭unkel


    ESB. The height of competence!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭jprboy


    Kramer wrote: »
    I know of two which were updated to 50kW DC this year - Nenagh & the M7 (B'OB Plaza - Monegall).

    The Obama Plaza was upgraded to 50kW alright but there's always been a 50kW in Nenagh at the Abbey Court Hotel. Then there's the 22kW at Cleary's Garage on the Limerick Road which remains unchanged.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭innrain


    They've upgraded the charger but not the network. Whatever was the input of the 2X22kW is the same. The current charger does balancing 50/50. If you got a car charging on fast AC at 3.6kW or smaller you get 22kW on your DC. The funny bit would be that you will have to stay >45 mins to achieve a sizeable charge.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl


    daheff wrote: »
    went to use the new charger in leixlip train station during the week.... but both the sockets were not working. So they replaced a working unit with one that wouldn't work.

    Sockets felt like there was a lock at the edges of the socket. Rang ESB and they couldn't fo anything... unit went offline on them as i was talking with them.

    Was that only upgraded this week ? cause it was not in any of there weekly announcements on Facebook.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭daheff


    Stealthirl wrote: »
    Was that only upgraded this week ? cause it was not in any of there weekly announcements on Facebook.

    not sure exactly when.... but its recent enough... like since sept anyways


  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg


    Just wondering, has anyone used one of the ESB DC rapid chargers since fees were introduced on Monday. If so how did it work out for you in terms of the card and was there an activation fee on the machine or did you just have to pay for the kW you took. Does is charge per kW and round up to the next digit ie 10 11 12 etc etc or 10.25kW etc


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight


    Irishjg wrote: »
    Just wondering, has anyone used one of the ESB DC rapid chargers since fees were introduced on Monday. If so how did it work out for you in terms of the card and was there an activation fee on the machine or did you just have to pay for the kW you took. Does is charge per kW and round up to the next digit ie 10 11 12 etc etc or 10.25kW etc

    Loads have.
    No activation fee, this was never a thing.
    kW are to 3 decimal places. eg. 4.862 kWh


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,568 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself


    Irishjg wrote: »
    Does is charge per kW and round up to the next digit ie 10 11 12 etc etc or 10.25kW etc

    Christ how miserly do you need to be to care about this?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth


    Christ how miserly do you need to be to care about this?

    Ebeneezer level :) e’s are good


  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg


    Loads have.
    No activation fee, this was never a thing.
    kW are to 3 decimal places. eg. 4.862 kWh

    Thanks for the info Black_Knight much appreciated.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭daheff


    daheff wrote: »
    went to use the new charger in leixlip train station during the week.... but both the sockets were not working. So they replaced a working unit with one that wouldn't work.

    Sockets felt like there was a lock at the edges of the socket. Rang ESB and they couldn't fo anything... unit went offline on them as i was talking with them.

    Went up there this week and already one of the sockets is out of use.

    craziness. cant believe they are that fragile.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭daheff


    Christ how miserly do you need to be to care about this?

    I'm sure its not miserly...more interested in the mechanics of how things work.


  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg


    daheff wrote: »
    I'm sure its not miserly...more interested in the mechanics of how things work.

    Many thanks for your understanding, that’s exactly what it was. Unfortunately there’s a certain element on these types of forums that just prefer to be abusive or just was an easy pop off someone for asking a simple question.


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,013 ✭✭✭✭ted1




  • Posts: 21,179 ✭✭✭✭[Deleted User]


    Tullow Co, Carlow , seriously ? that's funny Carlow Town is a lot larger LMAO


  • Registered Users Posts: 64,281 ✭✭✭✭unkel


    Tullow Co, Carlow , seriously ? that's funny Carlow Town is a lot larger LMAO

    LOL. The whole of County Carlow including the town has about 50k people in it. That's less than the village I live in (Lucan)


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight


    Tullow Co, Carlow , seriously ? that's funny Carlow Town is a lot larger LMAO

    Tesco Mullingar in Cork is an interesting one.


  • Moderators Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight


    And the usual best case scenario stats

    Charging statistics for the 22kw dual charger are based on a Renault Zoe.


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog


    Meaning that most normal EVs will add between 45 and 90 km during an hour long shop. Basically making these worthless for people who don't have home chargers.


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,013 ✭✭✭✭ted1


    liamog wrote: »
    Meaning that most normal EVs will add between 45 and 90 km during an hour long shop. Basically making these worthless for people who don't have home chargers.

    You’d be mad to get an EV and not have a home charger.


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog


    ted1 wrote: »
    You’d be mad to get an EV and not have a home charger.

    In Ireland yes, but that's because we don't have plenty of 50kW DC chargers available at every supermarket.


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,052 ✭✭✭✭mickdw


    Whats the current situation re esb on street charging where I would be charging a phev that can only slow charge. I believe these standard chargers are remaining free for some time yet. Do I simply need to register as a payg customer to get on the system then charge free after that. the app is not so clear on how it works if you are availing of free charging


  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg


    mickdw wrote: »
    Whats the current situation re esb on street charging where I would be charging a phev that can only slow charge. I believe these standard chargers are remaining free for some time yet. Do I simply need to register as a payg customer to get on the system then charge free after that. the app is not so clear on how it works if you are availing of free charging

    Yes you need to register for at least PAYG to use any charge points including the currently free to use 22kw units


  • Registered Users Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭Lumen


    liamog wrote: »
    Meaning that most normal EVs will add between 45 and 90 km during an hour long shop.

    Using the 90km the 52 dual Tesco chargers have a theoretical total capacity of up to 58m km/year based on 17 hours a day, 3400 cars at 17k km/year, which is 1/60th of the car fleet.

    If you include all Tescos and then scale that up by market share to include all supermarkets you get to about an 8th.

    Which is a surprisingly high figure.


  • Posts: 21,179 ✭✭✭✭[Deleted User]


    unkel wrote: »
    LOL. The whole of County Carlow including the town has about 50k people in it. That's less than the village I live in (Lucan)

    Yeah but Tullow ? haha

    They probably own their own car park not sure about Tesco in Carlow Town.

    You wouldn't get near it anyway as you'd find local shoppers connected daily, only 1 per shop is a bit ridiculous in fairness.

    I'd rather them concentrate on getting areas with 5 charge points in one place than several dotted around the Island with no hope of getting to use one.

    Tesco Naas for instance should have a bank of 10 AC chargers.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,013 ✭✭✭✭ted1


    liamog wrote: »
    In Ireland yes, but that's because we don't have plenty of 50kW DC chargers available at every supermarket.


    Even at that you’d be mad. Forced to hang out at supermarkets when you want to charge. No thanks.


Advertisement