Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ESB eCars

1457910302

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 21,334 ✭✭✭✭ELM327


    Better than having 29 usable Kwh :D
    I've lived with 20 usable kWh... as have you :D


  • Posts: 21,179 ✭✭✭✭ [Deleted User]


    ELM327 wrote: »
    I've lived with 20 usable kWh... as have you :D

    Some difference for you now though, how do you find the power ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,248 ✭✭✭✭ted1


    BigAl81 wrote: »
    To elaborate further, I have a car, first released in Ireland in late 2016, that can charge at 70kW, and a few days before 2020, despite the compaticion literally down the road installing 150kW chargers, we get "new" 50kW ones from eCars.

    Where's the vision or progress?

    I think you need a certain schadenfreude to drive an EV in Ireland at the moment.

    What’s the cost difference between the a 50 and 150?

    With a limited budget what’s better to install more or less chargers ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,248 ✭✭✭✭ted1


    unkel wrote: »
    My point is that Tesla and Ionity have put in numerous 250kW and 350kW chargers already. Not costing any of us a cent.

    ESB, given millions of our money (What for? To feed more into their hefty civil service level pensions?) haven't installed a single >50kW charger yet :rolleyes:
    They’ve installed at least 1 150KW charger ;)


  • Registered Users Posts: 64,723 ✭✭✭✭unkel


    ted1 wrote: »
    They’ve installed at least 1 150KW charger ;)

    That's new to me. Where is it and did anyone in here actually get 150kW out of it? How many stalls, 4 or 6?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,334 ✭✭✭✭ELM327


    Some difference for you now though, how do you find the power ?
    Addictive and nauseating :D
    And I don't even have a P model

    ted1 wrote: »
    They’ve installed at least 1 150KW charger ;)


    where?


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,248 ✭✭✭✭ted1


    ELM327 wrote: »
    Addictive and nauseating :D
    And I don't even have a P model





    where?
    In the Claiton Hotel Dublin Airport for their Electric bus!!!

    I believe public ones will be installed later in the year.


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,334 ✭✭✭✭ELM327


    ted1 wrote: »
    In the Claiton Hotel Dublin Airport for their Electric bus!!!

    I believe public ones will be installed later in the year.
    Ah now that doesnt count!
    We await the hubs


  • Posts: 21,179 ✭✭✭✭ [Deleted User]


    ted1 wrote: »

    I believe public ones will be installed later in the year.

    Yeah most likely likely the end of 2020 like the M9 chargers went in at the end of 2019 4 - 4.5 years after the last DC charger was installed.


  • Posts: 21,179 ✭✭✭✭ [Deleted User]


    peposhi wrote: »
    I don’t hear many complaining about ESBs rates anymore, Mad_Lad ;)
    Just when you think you touch the bottom it gets deeper :)

    Not until they announce prices for their 100 Kw + chargers lol, but no signs of that for a long time I'd say.

    February 2020 now and the only new site commissioned by the ESB since about the middle of 2015 is the one just outside Kilcullen on the M9 in November 2019 just in time for the new charges lol.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_


    February 2020 now and the only new site commissioned by the ESB since about the middle of 2015 is the one just outside Kilcullen on the M9 in November 2019 just in time for the new charges lol.

    There a new ESB installation at the Galway plaza on the M6, two chargers too, their first multiple fast charger location I believe


  • Posts: 21,179 ✭✭✭✭ [Deleted User]


    _dof_ wrote: »
    There a new ESB installation at the Galway plaza on the M6, two chargers too, their first multiple fast charger location I believe

    Was the M9 not the first ? they're probably 50 Kw chargers too ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_


    Was the M9 not the first ? they're probably 50 Kw chargers too ?

    yeah you could be right, the Galway plaza seems to only have been installed at the end of December, I thought it was a bit earlier.


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL


    _dof_ wrote: »
    There a new ESB installation at the Galway plaza on the M6, two chargers too, their first multiple fast charger location I believe

    They are there a few weeks now thankfully.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running



    February 2020 now and the only new site commissioned by the ESB since about the middle of 2015 is the one just outside Kilcullen on the M9 in November 2019 just in time for the new charges lol.

    What have you got against the Gorey north site?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi


    Not until they announce prices for their 100 Kw + chargers lol, but no signs of that for a long time I'd say.

    February 2020 now and the only new site commissioned by the ESB since about the middle of 2015 is the one just outside Kilcullen on the M9 in November 2019 just in time for the new charges lol.


    There are 4 super hubs in line for one location (Can’t tell you where or I’d have to kill you :) or they will kill me for spilling the beans)


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,334 ✭✭✭✭ELM327


    peposhi wrote: »
    There are 4 super hubs in line for one location (Can’t tell you where or I’d have to kill you :) or they will kill me for spilling the beans)
    4 super hubs in one location? That doesnt make sense :confused:
    Unless it's 4 super hub locations.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi


    ELM327 wrote: »
    4 super hubs in one location? That doesnt make sense :confused:
    Unless it's 4 super hub locations.

    I meant a super hub with 4 new gen fast chargers


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,334 ✭✭✭✭ELM327


    So, there's one hub? That's crap.
    We are over a year after the announcement!


  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Goldmark


    peposhi wrote: »
    I meant a super hub with 4 new gen fast chargers

    Any timeline details when they might be constructed. Previous announcement said to start in Q1 2020 but that will not be long passing.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,723 ✭✭✭✭unkel


    ELM327 wrote: »
    So, there's one hub? That's crap.
    We are over a year after the announcement!

    Let's stop this waste of tax payers money. The private sector will install more chargers with multiple stalls that are faster and better and that won't cost us a cent. Best get our money back and use it more efficiently for the improvement of the uptake of EVs.

    Free motor tax?That would be a major perk that Irish people would love (to brag about). It won't cost much and it would see a massive take up of EVs. Much more so than the massive switch to diesels in 2008


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,334 ✭✭✭✭ELM327


    unkel wrote: »
    Let's stop this waste of tax payers money. The private sector will install more chargers with multiple stalls that are faster and better and that won't cost us a cent. Best get our money back and use it more efficiently for the improvement of the uptake of EVs.

    Free motor tax?That would be a major perk that Irish people would love (to brag about). It won't cost much and it would see a massive take up of EVs. Much more so than the massive switch to diesels in 2008
    Thats rational and sound fiscal policy.
    Here in Ireland you'll be burnt at the stake for such a suggestion


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog


    The interurban rapid charging network can be seen as strategic infrastructure, as such an element of government support is warranted.
    It's similar to the model followed for the motorway service stations.

    NTA should identify a number of sites for rapid charging hubs with a minimum spec e.g. x stalls capable of charging at y kW, contactless payment, support for mobility contract providers etc...
    Private companies are then able to bid for each site with a design, build, and operate contract for a period of 10 years.
    A subsidy should be provided for the implementation.

    As an open tender following EU rules, it would be open for any of the network providers to bid on.


  • Registered Users Posts: 64,723 ✭✭✭✭unkel


    liamog wrote: »
    As an open tender following EU rules, it would be open for any of the network providers to bid on.

    Aye, a reasonably fair and transparant proces.

    Not like just handing a few million to a semi-state company that has already proven to be incompetent in installing and maintaining a fast charging network like we are currently doing :rolleyes:


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih


    unkel wrote: »
    Let's stop this waste of tax payers money. The private sector will install more chargers with multiple stalls that are faster and better and that won't cost us a cent. Best get our money back and use it more efficiently for the improvement of the uptake of EVs.

    The fact that ESB chargers provide a compatible port for the joint best selling BEV in Ireland in 2019 (and best selling between 2011-2019) I'm quite happy that the new sites are not <thatCompany> sites instead. And don't mention the price model for casual users of "some" private sector companies.

    First time in years I have be been able use my car for proper trips in 2020 without having to needlessly wait at the chargers without having to suffer some rip off pricing. ESB for the win.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth


    samih wrote: »
    The fact that ESB chargers provide a compatible port for the joint best selling BEV in Ireland in 2019 (and best selling between 2011-2019) I'm quite happy that the new sites are not <thatCompany> sites instead. And don't mention the price model for casual users of "some" private sector companies.

    First time in years I have be been able use my car for proper trips in 2020 without having to needlessly wait at the chargers without having to suffer some rip off pricing. ESB for the win.


    Have to agree whether you like it or not there’s a lot of leafs out there and ionity will have no interest in them as it’s not about a business to give electricity for money but to shut out other car manufacturers or at least slow them down to allow catchup.

    Ionity in France has to fit chademo as well as ccs as it’s mandated by government


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,334 ✭✭✭✭ELM327


    samih wrote: »
    The fact that ESB chargers provide a compatible port for the joint best selling BEV in Ireland in 2019 (and best selling between 2011-2019) I'm quite happy that the new sites are not <thatCompany> sites instead. And don't mention the price model for casual users of "some" private sector companies.

    First time in years I have be been able use my car for proper trips in 2020 without having to needlessly wait at the chargers without having to suffer some rip off pricing. ESB for the win.
    This is indeed a positive, however they were granted the network for free!


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭elperello


    ELM327 wrote: »
    Thats rational and sound fiscal policy.
    Here in Ireland you'll be burnt at the stake for such a suggestion

    Well maybe burnt in effigy at the Department of Finance.

    A million evs and they not getting a shilling !


  • Registered Users Posts: 64,723 ✭✭✭✭unkel


    Maybe Nissan / Renault are going to invest millions in an EU wide CHAdeMO fast charging network? Oh wait, they won't. Why would that be...


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,334 ✭✭✭✭ELM327


    unkel wrote: »
    Maybe Nissan / Renault are going to invest millions in an EU wide CHAdeMO fast charging network? Oh wait, they won't. Why would that be...


    It wouldnt be due to a 62.5kW limitation now would it?
    :pac::pac:


Advertisement