Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options
  • 04-02-2019 3:06pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Details from the dail on the eCars €10,000,000 expansion programme.

The key elements include six high speed charging hubs on motorways capable of charging eight vehicles simultaneously; 16 high speed charging hubs capable of charging four vehicles simultaneously; additional high power chargers at 34 current 50 kW locations; upgrading over 50 22 kW chargers to 50 kW, and replacing up to 264 locations with 528 charge points at the pre-existing pilot grade of 22 kW to next generation high reliability models.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2019-01-24/10/?fbclid=IwAR1eGLQjNFuywCoaB__FJADns7gNOD09DaR9XLueHAKZ8vljfd-kL-_LpDs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

New EU regulations will require employers with over 20 parking spaces to provide charging points by 2020.

This will help a lot, too. I haven't seen any discussion about this to date, but that is a lot of new infrastructure and clearly a good time to get into the Nigel Daly business..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

"Most standard public chargers can provide approximately 100 km of range in one hour whereas fast chargers typically provide 100 km of range in 20 minutes"

Well that opening part is quite misleading from our Gov....

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

A very welcome development. The placing of rapid chargers hasn't been ideal and some of the destination chargers are well past their use-by date.

Some of the areas not covered by rapids should be prioritised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

This will help a lot, too. I haven't seen any discussion about this to date, but that is a lot of new infrastructure and clearly a good time to get into the Nigel Daly business..

I saw somebody on facebook post 2 charging points ( with 2 outlets per point) centered between two rows of spaces. This would allow up to 8 people charge in a day. 4 before lunch, 4 after without anyone having to move etc. Simple

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭ei9go

slave1 wrote: »
    "Most standard public chargers can provide approximately 100 km of range in one hour whereas fast chargers typically provide 100 km of range in 20 minutes"

Exactly what a Zoe does from an SCP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,790 ✭✭✭✭unkel

slave1 wrote: »

The fact alone that they quote a single figure for range per hour of charging goes to show the minister and the civil servants from his department who wrote the speech haven't really a clue about electric cars.

Range per hour on a slow charger can be from 10km (elderly Leaf taking 3.3kW) to 150km Zoe 41 taking 22kW . 100km is far from typical here, most EVs (except Zoe) can only take a fraction of that range

More important to know is the time frame for all this ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

If eCars have any cop on they'll do it within 18 months to avoid a change in government.

18 Months is pretty ambitious , a lot of money is going to go on contractors......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

So I phoned ecars to see about the Athlone fast charger out of action a few weeks after new unit being installed, they don’t know what’s wrong with it and don’t know how long it will take to fix.
    The Gov have got it all wrong, the continued dismal infrastructure will keep drivers in ICE vehicles for the foreseeable future

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭handofdog

Hi.

I'm trying to get the Ecar Connect app for Android.

I don't see it in the play store.

Also, the link to the app in https://www.esb.ie/our-businesses/ecars/charge-point-map doesn't point to the app.

Has the app been renamed does anyone know?

I've tried plugshare but that doesn't give info on the state of the chargers.

Alternatively, if anyone has an Ecars Connect apk link I'd be vert grateful.

Thanks in advance. Cheers.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I still have it on my phone but now I look it seems to be gone from the play store.

Zap Map is probably your best option for live charger info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Aye, ecars app has vanished.

Zap Map pulls the same info from ecars. Only issue is that ecars is a load of crap. Most of the info is incorrect. E.g Stopped at knocktopher, Ecars and zap map both showing OK. Charger non responsive.
    Rang ecars "yep, thats been goosed a while" Well how about you update the damn map! :(

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hopefully the app vanishing means they're reworking/updating it. It's very dated compared to some of the other ones available.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Hopefully the app vanishing means they're reworking/updating it. It's very dated compared to some of the other ones available.

That was my guess too. They are probably working on a new app to support charging for charging which is just around the corner.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

eCars have at least started on this phase of the project
    replacing up to 264 locations with 528 charge points at the pre-existing pilot grade of 22 kW to next generation high reliability models.

Replacements have gone in at Carrickmines and Dunboyne

72733644_2590955400942748_4527453965926793216_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_oc=AQkfgLHYn5gdh-gy5S71cpQX1Yp3zKW88UA_YTKVxiAAK-QA0pKM1PTg8lt1ZWddAFc&_nc_ht=scontent-cdg2-1.xx&oh=e655a046e5b3136c029e3d0c4b3fd364&oe=5E16FB26

I've seen many of the 22kW charge points around Cork changed as well.

Why is the one above turned the way it is? Surely it should be facing forward to make both sides more accessible for the 2 car spaces? It looks a bit odd :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

KCross wrote: »
    Why is the one above turned the way it is? Surely it should be facing forward to make both sides more accessible for the 2 car spaces? It looks a bit odd :confused:

Yeah! :confused:

I wonder was somebody on the sauce the night before

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

I've seen many of the 22kW charge points around Cork changed as well.

There is an access door on the front of the unit for maintenance so the bollard gets in the way.

There is an access door on the front of the unit for maintenance so the bollard gets in the way.

Someone didnt think that through so when the charger and the bollard were designed! The bollard and/or the unit should be far enough apart to face the flippin thing the right way... or the access door should be at the back.

I guess it can still work as is but if you're charge port is on the side of the car it might be a strecth too far to get to the port that is facing away from you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

liamog wrote: »
    eCars have at least started on this phase of the project

Replacements have gone in at Carrickmines and Dunboyne

72733644_2590955400942748_4527453965926793216_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_oc=AQkfgLHYn5gdh-gy5S71cpQX1Yp3zKW88UA_YTKVxiAAK-QA0pKM1PTg8lt1ZWddAFc&_nc_ht=scontent-cdg2-1.xx&oh=e655a046e5b3136c029e3d0c4b3fd364&oe=5E16FB26

One of those gone in on Copley street last week. Already a port has been damaged on it (screen said error on chargeport). They're a much nicer setup than the old ones at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

One of those gone in on Copley street last week. Already a port has been damaged on it (screen said error on chargeport). They're a much nicer setup than the old ones at least.

Good to see the ports are identified as A and B. Many times the ecars guy on the phone asks if you're connecting to left or right. Well it depends which side of the charger you're looking at. :D

That's hilarious the way that charge point is mounted in the pic above, you couldn't make it up if you tried.

Typical of the way things are done in Ireland.

Good to see the ports are identified as A and B. Many times the ecars guy on the phone asks if you're connecting to left or right. Well it depends which side of the charger you're looking at. :D

I tried to tell the girl on the phone that port A was broken. She asked was that the left or the right. :rolleyes:

At least now consumers have the option to choose which side port to use. The old "port will slide open" style ones forced you to use the left port first (at least that was my experience), but if the left port was busted but not reporting as such, you're stuck. South Mall in Cork had this experience. Noticed it on Saturday, and spotted a Leaf plugged into the left port and not charging on Sunday. Odd, since parking is free on a Sunday anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

Are some of the existing 2 x 22kw units being replaced by 50kw ?

Irishjg wrote: »

Doubt it. Have you heard something?

The 22kw units are typically in towns/cities. 50kW+ chargers are typically on/just off major road networks. Putting a 50kW charger in the middle of a town doesn't really make sense. More "destination" chargers makes better sense (to me) in towns/hotels/offices etc.

Irishjg wrote: »

eCars did say they were going to do that in one of their announcements but all I've seen so far is them replacing 22kW with more modern 22kW units.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

Yep I wasn’t sure. On Ecars’ recent newsletter they stated that some of the 22kw units were being upgraded. I misread it to mean a DC upgrade. Thanks for the clarification.

eCars did say they were going to do that in one of their announcements but all I've seen so far is them replacing 22kW with more modern 22kW units.

Modern ones are pretty nice actually. They... work for one. Tells you status of each port, and if charging, they state how long for and how much electricity has been transferred. Perfect for when they bring in fees on these.

• Advertisement

Doubt it. Have you heard something?

The 22kw units are typically in towns/cities. 50kW+ chargers are typically on/just off major road networks. Putting a 50kW charger in the middle of a town doesn't really make sense. More "destination" chargers makes better sense (to me) in towns/hotels/offices etc.

My understanding is that at least 50 of the existing of the existing 22kW chargers will be upgraded to 50kW. I expect the ones where there is currently 50kW plus 22kW will be first, followed by some in town car park locations.

Not everyone can slow charge comfortably when away from home, 50kW models are right sized for supermarkets and other non motorway locations. Don't forget the network needs to be sized for the next 5 years of cars. That means we should expect 50kW chargers to be used for 45 mins at a time. Which still wouldn't fill the majority of 2020 EVs.

Advertisement