Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Catalytic converter theft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

FionnK86 wrote: »
    I've received pulse number but garda said she wouldn't have time to check cctv, going to write letter to superintendent to request they check cctv as gym said they wouldn't release footage to me.

Would you think sending via registered post would be inviting trouble? I want proof he's received it as I've already been dealing with garda 4 times and each time they act as if this is the first time Ive reported it, taking my details etc.

Not at all, register the post. Its the only way you will have credibility when you take this further.
    Cops won't (don't) give a toss unless they are made to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

cadaliac wrote: »
    Not at all, register the post. Its the only way you will have credibility when you take this further.
    Cops won't (don't) give a toss unless they are made to.

I wrote letter and just before posting, said I’d ring the victim services hotline. Lady on phone checked pulse and said garda dealing with case had rang gym on Sunday (when hours are reduced) and hadn’t got a reply.

She’s going to ask guard what’s the story and to update. If I hear nothing by Friday I’ll post the letter with this new information.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Ticking and Bashing

I saw a theft of a Cat Convtr today. Heard a noise outside and looked out to see a car parked outside jacked up, a man underneath slides out with a grinder in his hand and the cat converter in his other hand and off he goes. Literally 30secs, with no time for me to react. 11am in a busy residential spot. I assumed that newer cars / Toyota hybrids were the main targets but this car was 15 years old. Would people still target older cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I saw a theft of a Cat Convtr today. Heard a noise outside and looked out to see a car parked outside jacked up, a man underneath slides out with a grinder in his hand and the cat converter in his other hand and off he goes. Literally 30secs, with no time for me to react. 11am in a busy residential spot. I assumed that newer cars / Toyota hybrids were the main targets but this car was 15 years old. Would people still target older cars?

Yes

Yes my car (01 Yaris) was target 10/19 and it's a lot of older yaris' are targeted as the cat's right at front and very accessible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Same with my mam's 05 Yaris. We couldn't figure out why they stole the oldest car in the driveway and gardai said it was for the catalytic converter.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Some progress...
    GARDAI uncovered a puppy farm in raids targeting a robbery gang who are on a rampage stealing car parts.

The Irish Sun can reveal that cops made the discovery in Baldoyle, north Dublin on Monday morning, the base of a traveller mob who are on a blitz stealing catalytic converters.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/6159806/gardai-seize-32-dogs-cars-robbery-gang-baldoyle/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,963 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So they were looking for cats and found dogs!

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

So they were looking for cats and found dogs!

Comment of the week right here! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Toyota are now fitting anti-theft caps to cat bolts during service to slow the thieves, better than nothing I suppose.

• Advertisement

pm1977x wrote: »
    Toyota are now fitting anti-theft caps to cat bolts during service to slow the thieves, better than nothing I suppose.

They use angle grinders, they'll destroy the whole car to get them....

Best thing is for politicians to up their game and actually put in stronger laws and come down hard on scrap dealers etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

They use angle grinders, they'll destroy the whole car to get them....

Best thing is for politicians to up their game and actually put in stronger laws and come down hard on scrap dealers etc....

just going to end up leaving the country in containers full of scrap to conceal them

M

Spotted a Prius parked up last night and the driver had a big sign on the drivers window "Catalyst Is Gone", things have got that bad.

Spotted a Prius parked up last night and the driver had a big sign on the drivers window "Catalyst Is Gone", things have got that bad.

They’ll still look under. They can’t read.

M

FionnK86 wrote: »
    They’ll still look under. They can’t read.

They need to put it in the Cant language too :pac:

It's part of the culture boss....

Toyota Ireland don't respond to emails, friends car was a victim and its a 3 week wait and wanted to find out are Toyota Irl offering any security devices to prevent future thefts like in UK who offer the CATLOC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭kirving

There could be a simple but illegal software fix for this...

Car alarm recognises the tilt sensor activated.
    Start engine.
    Select reverse gear.
    Drive backward 30cm (just enough to knock the car off the jack)
    Power off.

There could be a simple but illegal software fix for this...

Car alarm recognises the tilt sensor activated.
    Start engine.
    Select reverse gear.
    Drive backward 30cm (just enough to knock the car off the jack)
    Power off.

Rather the battery was connected to the cat and as soon as car lifted it sends current to it and the bas****s get a couple of volts sent through them

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

NBar wrote: »
    Rather the battery was connected to the cat and as soon as car lifted it sends current to it and the bas****s get a couple of volts sent through them

Via the HT coils.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Toyota Ireland don't respond to emails, friends car was a victim and its a 3 week wait and wanted to find out are Toyota Irl offering any security devices to prevent future thefts like in UK who offer the CATLOC

Anything like that would be a waste of money imo.

Get the exhaust setup so that you can bolt in a decat section for every day driving and then bolt the cat in for the test. Only real cost effective solution.

Not really worth the hassle unless you live in an urban area where these thefts are more common though.

Anything like that would be a waste of money imo.

Get the exhaust setup so that you can bolt in a decat section for every day driving and then bolt the cat in for the test. Only real cost effective solution.

Not really worth the hassle unless you live in an urban area where these thefts are more common though.

Don't think a decat section is an option for her and then have Toyota use it if any engine/hybrid issues arise. I'll see what I can get her to cover the underneath of the exhaust system

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The don’t even test emissions on hybrids.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Cat was cut out of our 2nd Gen on the drive in front of our house back in October. They were seen on CCTV and had it removed in 4 minutes. They used an angle grinder which woke my neighbor who shouted out to them and disturbed them but it was too late.

The Toyota Ireland response is to report the crime to the Gardai and contact your local dealer. I reported the theft to the Gardai who advised that they had investigated 14 seperate thefts in the previous 2 weeks.

I got the cat replaced privately and traded in the car for a 3rd gen. Contacted a few local dealers and was informed that Toyota Ireland do not offer the CATLOC. They will fit a tilt alarm and cover the nuts with a protective cover for €325.

I don't know if this €325 includes labour. If it does then that really boils my blood as I would imagine that Toyota should fit this for free as a goodwill gesture due to poor design.

I got the 2nd gen cat replaced out of my own pocket as going through insurance would probably have cost more in the long run.

As an FYI i know that Toyota dealers in the north will fit the CATLOCK on an Irish Prius/Auris for the £250 as advised on Toyota UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Cat was cut out of our 2nd Gen on the drive in front of our house back in October. They were seen on CCTV and had it removed in 4 minutes. They used an angle grinder which woke my neighbor who shouted out to them and disturbed them but it was too late.

The Toyota Ireland response is to report the crime to the Gardai and contact your local dealer. I reported the theft to the Gardai who advised that they had investigated 14 seperate thefts in the previous 2 weeks.

I got the cat replaced privately and traded in the car for a 3rd gen. Contacted a few local dealers and was informed that Toyota Ireland do not offer the CATLOC. They will fit a tilt alarm and cover the nuts with a protective cover for €325.

I don't know if this €325 includes labour. If it does then that really boils my blood as I would imagine that Toyota should fit this for free as a goodwill gesture due to poor design.

I got the 2nd gen cat replaced out of my own pocket as going through insurance would probably have cost more in the long run.

As an FYI i know that Toyota dealers in the north will fit the CATLOCK on an Irish Prius/Auris for the £250 as advised on Toyota UK.

Lads bit of information Pls, if anyone knows.
    I've a 2012 Honda insight hybrid, does anyone know if these models are also being targeted?
    Or I'd it only newer model Toyota hybrids?
    Thank you
    P. S. I've not heard of my model being robbed but nevertheless I'd like to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Does CAT theft happen all over the world, or just Ireland or what's the story?
    Wonder if they even considered theft when they designed it.

EDIT: Never mind, found my answer: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/thefts-of-catalytic-converters-from-cars-have-gone-mad-says-garda-source-1.3990025
    Toyota Ireland said it was a “worldwide industry issue” affecting all car brands, but is “particularly affecting older Prius, due to its high-quality catalytic converters”.

Design changes in more recent models have made it “not possible” to steal the devices, a spokeswoman said.

Mercedes said there was “a slight increase in the number of thefts of catalytic converters” from its models two years ago, but they have since “dissipated to a negligible level”, according to its dealer network in Ireland.

Kia said it was it was unaware of “any reports of such thefts from our dealer network”.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

If anyone has one of these cars being targeted. Put a sticker on your car saying cat blocker installed on all sides until you can get a cover installed.

Lads bit of information Pls, if anyone knows.
    I've a 2012 Honda insight hybrid, does anyone know if these models are also being targeted?
    Or I'd it only newer model Toyota hybrids?
    Thank you
    P. S. I've not heard of my model being robbed but nevertheless I'd like to know.

Our 2nd Gen Prius was 09. I have not heard of any Insights being targets but would not rule it out. Of the 14 the Gardai advised they were dealing with all were 2nd Gen Prius.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Does CAT theft happen all over the world, or just Ireland or what's the story?
    Wonder if they even considered theft when they designed it.

EDIT: Never mind, found my answer: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/thefts-of-catalytic-converters-from-cars-have-gone-mad-says-garda-source-1.3990025

The 2nd gen has a really poor design making it simple to cut out the cat.

hpim4465-jpg.19474

The 3rd gen is slightly more difficult as it is partially covered.

On newer models Toyota it is also partially hidden and according to Toyota UK they have reduced the amount of precious metals in the CAT by 84%.

It is such an issue in the UK that Toyota are fitting the CATLOC to 2nd and 3rd gen at cost and do not charge for labour.

Toyota Ireland do not offer this service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Our 2nd Gen Prius was 09. I have not heard of any Insights being targets but would not rule it out. Of the 14 the Gardai advised they were dealing with all were 2nd Gen Prius.

Many thanks for this, googled but no specific information, ffs and I was hoping to upgrade to a Prius next year

Advertisement