Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Catalytic converter theft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

ebbsy wrote: »
    Yesterday I parked the CRV in there...when I came back I found somebody had tried to slice the converter off .... it's only a welding job thank ****.

Be careful.

Was there any CCTV?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've heard way too many tales of woe around that particular car park at the Red Cow. And maybe there is CCTV, but a few of those tales of woe included the victims of the crimes asking for help from the authorities there and getting sweet fanny adams. The Guards as usual and sad to say were next to worthless.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I phoned the cops in Clondalkin, if nothing else to warn people.

Me : " Hello do you serve the Red Cow area"

Garda : " I will have to check that. Yes we do"

Told the story.

Garda " what is a converter"

Me : " Forget about it"

I might send them a message through other channels.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It might work better for you if you called the item by it's full name. You give someone half the information, dont expect them to fill in the blanks.

• Advertisement

It might work better for you if you called the item by it's full name. You give someone half the information, dont expect them to fill in the blanks.

There was plenty of blank in that garda's head.

When I call a cop station I do expect them to fill in the ****ing blanks. I expect them to know what ****ing areas they serve. I expect them to take my ****ing details.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Wow, are you so short fused you needed to respond twice?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Wow, are you so short fused you needed to respond twice?

If some scrote had done close on €800 worth of damage to my vehicle in a supposedly supervised car park, I'd be VERY short fused. It's not possible to quickly remove a cat converter on most vehicles without using an angle grinder. That's not something that goes un noticed, or, to be pedantic, it shouldn't be un noticed during the day, both from a visible point of view, and from a noise point of view.

It really is time that the whole way in which precious metal (high value) scrap metal items are dealt with by scrap metal dealers was changed.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

In fairness, reading the title I was thinking of some EV power converter thing. Only realised after reading you meant the catalytic converter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Amazing. We now expect Gardai to be qualified mechanics??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If some scrote had done close on €800 worth of damage to my vehicle in a supposedly supervised car park, I'd be VERY short fused.
    Ditto. Down the years I've dealt with the Guards and over that time, with a few very welcome exceptions, I have found them getting worse as far as crimes against property are concerned. The MO seems to be to just do enough so the victim can get their insurance details in order.

Now I can well understand the frustrations of Guards(I personally know four who have left the force) when even if they assemble a case the scum are let off by the judiciary, never mind the slow strangulation of the force through cutbacks and lack of resources, but in the end and very sad to say I'd not rely on the Guards to do much of anything beyond ticking a box on insurance documents when it comes to things like this.

Burglary is even worse. I personally know of a few examples where burglaries and thefts from cars parked outside were in progress, one was where a cul de sac was targeted. The residents made multiple phone calls both directly to local station and 999 and the Guards showed up six hours later. Oh and this wasn't out in the wilds, this was south Dublin suburbia with three stations within 10-15 minutes away driving at the speed limit and obeying traffic lights. I was in a house where the owner's car was stolen and we cuaght them driving off and he rang the local station to tell them - and I heard this with my own two ears - the Guard asked the question what did he expect them to do about it, they'd ring him back if they had any further info in the morning.

So yeah I also have a pretty "short fuse" with anybody representing a force of the state that's about as much use as tits on a bull.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Told the story.

Why didn't you just tell them?

I've never heard anyone use the term "converter", yet when you say "cat" most people would know what you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Amazing. We now expect Gardai to be qualified mechanics??
    Do you need to be a qualified mechanic to know what parts of a car are called?

Given the increase in catalytic converter thefts you'd expect the Garda to be aware of what a converter is. OP isn't expecting the Garda to come around a re-weld it.
    Why didn't you just tell them?

I've never heard anyone use the term "converter", yet when you say "cat" most people would know what you're talking about.

The part of the car is irrelevant. If I called the Gardai and said "someone tried to steal from me" I'd expect some level of response. Gardai are next to useless for petty crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I don’t even drive and was aware of this. RTÉ radio and Today FM has their roving reporters do a report on it

The gardai would be aware for sure. Maybe call back and see if you get someone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

If some scrote had done close on €800 worth of damage to my vehicle in a supposedly supervised car park, I'd be VERY short fused. It's not possible to quickly remove a cat converter on most vehicles without using an angle grinder. That's not something that goes un noticed, or, to be pedantic, it shouldn't be un noticed during the day, both from a visible point of view, and from a noise point of view.

It really is time that the whole way in which precious metal (high value) scrap metal items are dealt with by scrap metal dealers was changed.

You can remove a cat in 30 seconds with the right tool. And in near silence too.

The problem is MM, I guarantee nothing will happen. He still has the cat so he got of lightly in some ways and that'll be how it's seen. Any CCTV I also guarantee will be "lost" and you'll get nada outa whatever security crowd are involved with the site, if any are. Going by the multiple personal stories I've heard of the Rec Cow Luas car park that was their experiences. That included whole cars going walkabout. In Dublin Blanchardstown shopping centre is another I would avoid like the very plague for the same reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Padre_Pio wrote: »

The part of the car is irrelevant. If I called the Gardai and said "someone tried to steal from me" I'd expect some level of response. Gardai are next to useless for petty crimes.

He did get a level of response. He got a request for more information.

Next time some eejit will ring up giving out someone tried to steal their converter and the Gard will say "ah yes, we've had a couple of calls before about peoples catalytic converters being stolen, hold on a sec" and the person will hang up, rung to boards and moan that the Gards know nothing of Electric cars and are useless.

I'll join the list of people who have never heard anyone say "converter" to mean a cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

He did get a level of response. He got a request for more information.

Next time some eejit will ring up giving out someone tried to steal their converter and the Gard will say "ah yes, we've had a couple of calls before about peoples catalytic converters being stolen, hold on a sec" and the person will hang up, rung to boards and moan that the Gards know nothing of Electric cars and are useless.

I'll join the list of people who have never heard anyone say "converter" to mean a cat.

"Some eejit" is a victim of a crime.
    The OP didn't even get that far with the Garda on the phone.

What's the point of calling the Gards if nothing is ever done. Should people just suck it up and go straight to insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It is unusual to refer to a catalytic converter as a converter.

However the fact remains that criminal damage has been done to the OP's property.

He needs to go in person to the Garda Station and make a statement.

He will be issued with a Pulse number and the crime will be recorded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I have never heard someone refer to a catalytic converter as a converter. A cat yes but certainly not a converter I thought it was something off an ev or charge point you were on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    The OP didn't even get that far with the Garda on the phone.

?

Told the story.

I did sympathise with the guy for what did happen and again what could have. But it wears thin when they act so short with others when looking for help.

He wouldnt talk straight when looking to report the issue. Then made a point of quoting me in 2 separate posts how he still couldn't understand why no one knew what he was talking about. And he wouldn't be bothered to make it clearer.

What does he expect, a shoulder to keep weeping on?

And for what's it's worth. The car parks are only supervised by clampers. Ive never seen any of them provide security. There are disclaimers all over it about parking there at your own risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Wibbs wrote: »
    The problem is MM, I guarantee nothing will happen. He still has the cat so he got of lightly in some ways and that'll be how it's seen. Any CCTV I also guarantee will be "lost" and you'll get nada outa whatever security crowd are involved with the site, if any are. Going by the multiple personal stories I've heard of the Rec Cow Luas car park that was their experiences. That included whole cars going walkabout. In Dublin Blanchardstown shopping centre is another I would avoid like the very plague for the same reasons.

With our laws security can do nothing. If they bar people then they get accused of all sorts and social media goes mad. If they catch them they can't hold them. And scumbags know how to defeat CCTV. So how do you propose to for a private person, which is what security guards are, earning minimum wage deals with it?

It happens in all car parks. The long terms at airports are especially popular as they know the car will be a few days before it's noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Wibbs wrote: »
    Ditto. Down the years I've dealt with the Guards and over that time, with a few very welcome exceptions, I have found them getting worse as far as crimes against property are concerned. The MO seems to be to just do enough so the victim can get their insurance details in order.

Now I can well understand the frustrations of Guards(I personally know four who have left the force) when even if they assemble a case the scum are let off by the judiciary, never mind the slow strangulation of the force through cutbacks and lack of resources, but in the end and very sad to say I'd not rely on the Guards to do much of anything beyond ticking a box on insurance documents when it comes to things like this.

Burglary is even worse. I personally know of a few examples where burglaries and thefts from cars parked outside were in progress, one was where a cul de sac was targeted. The residents made multiple phone calls both directly to local station and 999 and the Guards showed up six hours later. Oh and this wasn't out in the wilds, this was south Dublin suburbia with three stations within 10-15 minutes away driving at the speed limit and obeying traffic lights. I was in a house where the owner's car was stolen and we cuaght them driving off and he rang the local station to tell them - and I heard this with my own two ears - the Guard asked the question what did he expect them to do about it, they'd ring him back if they had any further info in the morning.

So yeah I also have a pretty "short fuse" with anybody representing a force of the state that's about as much use as tits on a bull.

We've no idea what the Gardaí are doing and a station 10-15 minutes away makes no difference, this actually takes a Garda off the streets as they have to man the station or 3 in your case.

I was reporting a crash a few years ago and the Garda said I was lucky I wasn't waiting for a Garda to come as they were all attending an armed seige.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

. It's not possible to quickly remove a cat converter on most vehicles without using an angle grinder. .

Waffle

Del2005 wrote: »
    We've no idea what the Gardare doing and a station 10-15 minutes away makes no difference, this actually takes a Garda off the streets as they have to man the station or 3 in your case.
    Three stations, with three different forces in the capital city. And it took six hours? And feck all was done about coming back to the many who reported the crimes. Oh and information on good authority flagged no "armed siege" :rolleyes: going down on the night in question. So g'way outa that with what they might be doing. Oh and it hasn't happened just the once there either. The plain fact is that our police force are restricted by staffing numbers, costs and upgrades that take years to happen, if they happen at all. Never mind the judiciary who let these scum back out onto the streets. That more than anything needs an overhaul and an enema.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

elperello wrote: »
    He will be issued with a Pulse number and the crime will be recorded.
    Which will be added to crime stats, but nothing else. Insurance won't cover the cost to replace the cat converter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Converter.... Could be any of a thousand things..

What's a converter...

Oh sorry a catalytic converter, part of the exhaust system.

Oh I understand now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I doubt you get too many cases of torque converter theft

Advertisement