Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Catalytic converter theft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Any roigh idea on how many cats have been stolen in the last year or two?
    Who are buying them?

pack a container full of them and somebody will give you a pretty penny for the lot. lots of rare metals in there.

The Prius ones seem to be piss easy to remove.

a certain demographic has been losing out on house burglaries this year and need some way to pay for their sisters sunbeds before the wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Probably stolen off another....

Looked brand new for a 00 Yaris so I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭1874

Alleged theft of a CC filmed in Leixlip yesterday (I would presume gardai can find them based on the reg 08DL12356)...

https://twitter.com/_KellyCampbell/status/1346600098994728971?s=19

I didnt see this when I first replied, Id have shut that gate and started swinging a crowbar at heads ( I mean head the balls), the guy under the car probably would have got stuck, get the fella standing there mouthing off, other chap stuck under car, then deal with the driver, I know that sounds like hard man talk but incensed looking at that, have done stupid stuff when livid, couldnt just stand there and really the hard man talk back would just infuriate me, just need to get stuck in like a lunatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Pops_20

1874 wrote: »
    I didnt see this when I first replied, Id have shut that gate and started swinging a crowbar at heads ( I mean head the balls), the guy under the car probably would have got stuck, get the fella standing there mouthing off, other chap stuck under car, then deal with the driver, I know that sounds like hard man talk but incensed looking at that, have done stupid stuff when livid, couldnt just stand there and really the hard man talk back would just infuriate me, just need to get stuck in like a lunatic.

I'd like to think that most people would do the same, but the problem is that the way our legal system works, you would go down for assault or attempted murder and these lads would get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Looked brand new for a 00 Yaris so I doubt it.

It'd be a brand new spurious one. Someone earlier in the thread got one for their yaris and it worked out fine for them too.
    Probably stolen off another....

More money to be made by scrapping them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Guys, please refrain from advocating violence.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

1874 wrote: »
    In all likleihood, you'd have possibly gotten one swing in and maybe done damage but one of them would then manage to take it off you and you'd be the one getting the beating.
    It isn't worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Any roigh idea on how many cats have been stolen in the last year or two?
    Who are buying them?

Not sure about here but read a recent article regarding London.

15,000 stolen in London in the last 3 years.
    Of this 15,000, > 12,000 were stolen in 2020....

Mike

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/ireland-s-catalytic-converter-thieves-they-re-like-formula-1-mechanics-1.4464308

Seems to be related to that video clip.
    The thieves broke through an electric gate by nudging it with their company car.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,500 ✭✭✭✭elperello

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/ireland-s-catalytic-converter-thieves-they-re-like-formula-1-mechanics-1.4464308

Seems to be related to that video clip.
    The thieves broke through an electric gate by nudging it with their company car.

Most electric gate installations are gate automation systems.

They open and close the gates but don't lock them.

They restrict access but do not provide the security of a lock.

An electrically operated lock can be added at the time of installation or retro fitted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Flit clicker

Culture boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭corks finest

It'd be a brand new spurious one. Someone earlier in the thread got one for their yaris and it worked out fine for them too.

More money to be made by scrapping them.

You'd seriously think about time and the law needs changed regarding the scrappers at this e stage, basically handling stolen goods,
    I mean its the same shifty whures dealing in these day in /out, wholw scrap dealing crack of iffy since I can remember (over 60 now)

Culture boss.

Ah absolutely disgrace that the gardai haven't a handle on this

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Way too busy giving out €100 fines or stopping people in cars asking where they're going.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Only piece of advice is get a shield cover over the CAT, garage in walkinstown is supplying and fitting these (no affiliation with this garage)

https://www.facebook.com/Priuscatalyticconverter/

its like the old days of those who had an alarm fitted and those that dont and the scum go for the easier target

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Flit clicker

They should set up sting operations.

Offer to buy the stolen cat cons posing as a dealer, then when the transaction is made they are arrested and jailed for 50 years in a max security facility.

Pops_20 wrote: »
    I'd like to think that most people would do the same, but the problem is that the way our legal system works, you would go down for assault or attempted murder and these lads would get away with it.

I'd honestly be afraid of what I'd do these creatures are reprehensible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

I've ordered a bluetooth tilt sensor for 40 euro that 'should' send an alert to my phone if they lift my car, I'll use some IOT to ring my phone or play an alarm signal on my phone in case I'm asleep - limited range (Approx 100m) but will be fine when I'm at home. If it doesn't work it's also a weather beacon so I can just play around with that. :D

pm1977x wrote: »
    I've ordered a bluetooth tilt sensor for 40 euro that 'should' send an alert to my phone if they lift my car, I'll use some IOT to ring my phone or play an alarm signal on my phone in case I'm asleep - limited range (Approx 100m) but will be fine when I'm at home. If it doesn't work it's also a weather beacon so I can just play around with that. :D
    So you'll have you the indignity of four Travellers intimidate you in person while they rip the converter out of your car and then drive off under cover of night???
    If your car is susceptible to converter theft then either secure it or remove it and only put it on the car when going for NCT test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I'd have shot the bastards in the legs.

• Advertisement

Is your name Pádraig Nally?

Great man

I'd have shot the bastards in the legs.

That's what will happen eventuality and then we will hear PP etc wailing, gardai really need to be pro active otherwise a fatality will occur be it a house holder or a scrote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Offer to buy the stolen cat cons posing as a dealer, then when the transaction is made they are arrested and jailed for 50 years in a max security facility.

They’ve family members who run a scrap yard. Wouldn’t deal with outsiders, smarter then that.

FionnK86 wrote: »
    They’ve family members who run a scrap yard. Wouldn’t deal with outsiders, smarter then that.

That's when CAB etc need to be active, also dogs in the street know that eastern Europeans are also at it, so their illicit loot will make its way out via truck /van

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Shipped off in containers too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

No.
    But I can't tolerate this shyte.

No.
    But I can't tolerate this shyte.

Bravo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Fake Scores

You'd need to match the cat being sold with a specific one that was reported stolen.
    The owner would need to identify it as theirs in court.

• Advertisement

You'd need to match the cat being sold with a specific one that was reported stolen.
    The owner would need to identify it as theirs in court.

Down to the makers to make them more secure in the future or else this ****e will continue

Advertisement