Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Catalytic converter theft

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Seriously, a suitcase full of helium? :pac:

I know. Quite bizarre if I say so myself.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

tuxy wrote: »
    So you don't need to tell a guard what item of your property has been taken when giving a statement? Remember, it was the op that ended the conversation when the guard wanted to know what exact item had been stolen.

In this case there wasn't even anything stolen - it was an attempted theft.... OP says they didn't actually the Cat off the car.....just sayin'

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

pablo128 wrote: »
    I know. Quite bizarre if I say so myself.:pac:

Talk about being light-fingered

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Someone I know had theres cut out in the Ikea car park a few weeks ago. Someone tried to stop whoever was doing it and was met with threats and weapons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

slash hooks no doubt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Of course, but arguing over what exactly that thing is, is irrelevant. It shouldn't matter to a Gard what was stolen, only that something was stolen and it was important enough to report.

I'm not siding with the OP. No reason to hang up, but in fairness a Gard should infer converter as catalytic converter, seeing as so many have been stolen over the last few years. It didn't take any major leaps for anyone here to know what he was on about.

Don't agree there at all.

Like it's been said, a converter could be anything ranging in cost from a couple of euro up a few thousand euro.

If you told the guard it was either a catalytic converter or even gave the cost of it, I'm sure they would have been interested. Otherwise, why would they bother wasting their time on something that is only worth a few euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

farna_boy wrote: »
    Don't agree there at all.

Like it's been said, a converter could be anything ranging in cost from a couple of euro up a few thousand euro.

If you told the guard it was either a catalytic converter or even gave the cost of it, I'm sure they would have been interested. Otherwise, why would they bother wasting their time on something that is only worth a few euro?
    You are missing the whole point. The OP's car was being vandalized by people trying to steal a part off his/her car.

So you are saying that well if if its only worth a few Euro, leave them off, us guards are far too busy for this crap?

Chr1st on a bike.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

cadaliac wrote: »
    You are missing the whole point. The OP's car was being vandalized by people trying to steal a part off his/her car.

So you are saying that well if if its only worth a few Euro, leave them off, us guards are far too busy for this crap?

Chr1st on a bike.

Going by the OPs own recollection, the guards just wanted to know what he was talking about. He decided he was better off not informing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

He decided he was better off not informing them.

And he was right, snitches get stitches and all that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

And he was right, snitches get stitches and all that.

Who says I got a mother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,863 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Not sure why people would not understand what OP meant or was annoyed over.

Many incidences of this at Shopping Centres. It is a common occurance.

Targets would appear to be SUV's as easier to get access to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭kirving

anewme wrote: »
    Not sure why people would not understand what OP meant or was annoyed over.

Because even to the members of the Motors forum, a "converter" is a suitably vague name that leaves people guessing anything from a some part of a socket set to headphone wire to voltage converter to a catalytic converter.

Because even to the members of the Motors forum, a "converter" is a suitably vague name that leaves people guessing anything from a some part of a socket set to headphone wire to voltage converter to a catalytic converter.

I'm not a motor forum regular, but to me it was very clear what OP was talking about.

Maybe because I knew this is a regular thing in car parks in Shopping Centres and Car Parks.

I did not realise it was an issue in Red Cow Car Park Luas, so thanks OP for letting me know as I drive an SUV.

It's going on a long time.

Joe Duffy had an article on it last year in Blanchardstown Shopping Centre and its been an issue in Shopping Centres in West Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I'm not a motor forum regular, but to me it was very clear what OP was talking about.

Maybe because I knew this is a regular thing in car parks in Shopping Centres and Car Parks.

I did not realise it was an issue in Red Cow Car Park Luas, so thanks OP for letting me know as I drive an SUV.

Joe Duffy had an article on it last year in Blanchardstown Shopping Centre and its been an issue in Shopping Centres in West Dublin.

Thanks for that, my intention was to warn people.

I certainly will not be parking there again.

ebbsy wrote: »
    Thanks for that, my intention was to warn people.

I certainly will not be parking there again.

Warning very much appreciated.

I am normally one of those who parks miles away at the back of car parks, so no one will whack their doors off the car.

Anywhere there are electric chargers there will be a risk of converters going missing. The manufacturers of these cable will have to develop a locking anti-theft system.
    People become enraged if they think you are taking up a charging point for too long.

Anywhere there are electric chargers there will be a risk of converters going missing. The manufacturers of these cable will have to develop a locking anti-theft system.
    People become enraged if they think you are taking up a charging point for too long.

Its happening for a long time at a shopping centres.

Nothing to do with electric cars or charging.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Wonder is the security turning a blind eye?

Its happening for a long time at a shopping centres.

Nothing to do with electric cars or charging.

Figured you might appreciate the warming though, I don't think anyone who be happy about converter theft no mater the type of converter involved.

sasta le wrote: »

What security?

• Advertisement

Figured you might appreciate the warming though, I don't think anyone who be happy about converter theft no mater the type of converter involved.

Well, we were warned about this by Gardai in our area last year, just not this specific car park.

sasta le wrote: »

The only guys I see going around are the clampers . Are they security as well I wonder.

Doubt it.

On a seperate issue do people park there and just leave the charger in the car all day while they go to work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Mine stolen from my Yaris at 1930 in Ben Dunne gyms Northwood today.

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Mine stolen from my Yaris at 1930 in Ben Dunne gyms Northwood today.

Sorry to hear it but how much is a second hand Yaris catalytic converter worth? They must have been really desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Sorry to hear it but how much is a second hand Yaris catalytic converter worth? They must have been really desperate.

They all contain precious metal so at least €20. I was watching a show about shop lifters and they used to steal from Poundland!

Del2005 wrote: »
    They all contain precious metal so at least €20. I was watching a show about shop lifters and they used to steal from Poundland!

It'll cost me more to repair adjacent pipes and replace.

I think only place to bottleneck this type of theft is at the guys who buy scrap metal, guards should checkpoint them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭elperello

FionnK86 wrote: »
    It'll cost me more to repair adjacent pipes and replace.

I think only place to bottleneck this type of theft is at the guys who buy scrap metal, guards should checkpoint them.

That's tough for you.

Agreed more needs to be done to follow up the buyers.
    In the meantime has anyone any experience of this type of product ? -

https://www.vtstore.co.uk/accessories/security/catloc-catalytic-converter-lock

• Advertisement

I've received pulse number but garda said she wouldn't have time to check cctv, going to write letter to superintendent to request they check cctv as gym said they wouldn't release footage to me.

Would you think sending via registered post would be inviting trouble? I want proof he's received it as I've already been dealing with garda 4 times and each time they act as if this is the first time Ive reported it, taking my details etc.

Advertisement