Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Catalytic converter theft

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It's the Eastern Europeans, they take the platinum back home on flights every week using special suitcases filed with helium designed to trick the Ryanair baggage checks. Don't believe me? There was a thread on it

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?p=110695730

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

keano25 wrote: »
    Converter.... Could be any of a thousand things..

What's a converter...

Oh sorry a catalytic converter, part of the exhaust system.

Oh I understand now..

"Converter, that could be anything.. "

"Gard, I don't care if you don't know what it is, it's getting robbed, now do your f"cking job and take my statement".

Padre_Pio wrote: »

"Gard, I don't care if you don't know what it is, it's getting robbed, now do your f"cking job and take my statement".

The engine itself is a converter so is the alternator and the ac. You could spend ages listing all the different converters on a car.

tuxy wrote: »
    The engine itself is a converter so is the alternator and the ac. You could spend ages listing all the different converters on a car.

You're right, but it's irrelevant.

You're right, but it's irrelevant.

So you don't need to tell a guard what item of your property has been taken when giving a statement? Remember, it was the op that ended the conversation when the guard wanted to know what exact item had been stolen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

It's the Eastern Europeans, they take the platinum back home on flights every week using special suitcases filed with helium designed to trick the Ryanair baggage checks. Don't believe me? There was a thread on it

I'd say it's likely our own folk....

So you don't need to tell a guard what item of your property has been taken when giving a statement? Remember, it was the op that ended the conversation when the guard wanted to know what exact item had been stolen.

Of course, but arguing over what exactly that thing is, is irrelevant. It shouldn't matter to a Gard what was stolen, only that something was stolen and it was important enough to report.

I'm not siding with the OP. No reason to hang up, but in fairness a Gard should infer converter as catalytic converter, seeing as so many have been stolen over the last few years. It didn't take any major leaps for anyone here to know what he was on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

"now, what was it you were saying was getting robbed again?"

It could easily happen though, you just forget 'catalytic', or the word just won't come to you... "Its the yoke, on the exhaust, the... converter yoke"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Of course, but arguing over what exactly that thing is, is irrelevant. It shouldn't matter to a Gard what was stolen, only that something was stolen and it was important enough to report.

I'm not siding with the OP. No reason to hang up, but in fairness a Gard should infer converter as catalytic converter, seeing as so many have been stolen over the last few years. It didn't take any major leaps for anyone here to know what he was on about.

The gardai and any police force generally tend to be interested in a thing called "particulars". The cant pursue vague reports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I don't see a post there saying anything about Ryanair. Could you highlight it for me, please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭elperello

the_syco wrote: »
    Which will be added to crime stats, but nothing else. Insurance won't cover the cost to replace the cat converter.

It's important that crimes are reported.

When AGS, Dept. of Justice, Joint Policing Committes and Dail Eireann are considering policy, legislation and resource allocation they can only rely on published statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

antodeco wrote: »
    In fairness, reading the title I was thinking of some EV power converter thing. Only realised after reading you meant the catalytic converter.

I am a qualified mechanic and when I read the thread title this is exactly what I thought too.

People in the trade call it a cat or cat converter. I've never heard anyone solely refer to it as a converter in 20+ years

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭Dartz

They got the cat out of me own yoke in Finglas there back in August. Sewcurity had video of them jacking the car up and just slicing it out. They then sliced open the back tyres when they realised there was no 'cat' in it, just an empty shell. There was damage to the sill of the car - some metal cracked off, and paint damage where they'd clipped it with a saw.

Getting a new midpipe fitted was cheap and easy. The spiteful damage to the tyres was the worst part - paying a mobile service with a van to come out and fit some cheap chinese ditchfinders to get it home cost me more than the midpipe - and double again since they're ****ing horrific for the car.

Also. An RX8 is an amusing thing to drive with an open manifold. Even with full ear defenders, it hurts.

That said, the Gardai couldn't have been more helpful. They came to the office to take a statement - then sent a detective to my house to try and dust for prints. Regrettably I'd already painted over the damaged parts of the sills to keep the rust from getting in - it's definitely a ****ing problem in Finglas.

I've heard more than a few straight-pipe Priuses going around. (Which is an utterly brilliant sound)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

In my world a converter is a voltage changing tool. Why should everyone be expert in everything? I think it was very reasonable and showed full interest from the garda to ask the question? And very very arrogant and unreasonable for op to just drop the phone and then complain that nothing is being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Heard OP has got onto Coleen Rooney now to crack the case instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭ebbsy

keano25 wrote: »
    Heard OP has got onto Coleen Rooney now to crack the case instead.

She would probably do a better job.

I have emailed NCPS and the higher up cops, for all the good it will do.

No point in going back to the station in question if they have to ask if they serve that particular district.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Allinall

ebbsy wrote: »
    She would probably do a better job.

I have emailed NCPS and the higher up cops, for all the good it will do.

No point in going back to the station in question if they have to ask if they serve that particular district.

“The Red Cow area” is very vague.

It covers east and west of the M50, and north and south of the N7.

I would say it probably is in a couple of Garda districts.

You were less than helpful when you rang the guards, so not surprising the took your call as a trivial matter.

Allinall wrote: »

You were less than helpful when you rang the guards, so not surprising the took your call as a trivial matter.

That's the way you should be when speaking to the shades. Say nothing! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Allinall wrote: »

Nah red cow Luas is the L District, which is Clondalkin, Rathcoole and Ballyfermot stations. Might be a car and a van available to cover entire area each station serves.

• Advertisement

there'll be a bit on CrimeCall RTE 1 now, about converters.

edit: on now

on now, it'll be on plus 1 or the rte player

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Take a good look.

there'll be a bit on CrimeCall RTE 1 now, about converters.

edit: on now

They would be too stupid or too slow to cover it.

ebbsy wrote: »
    They would be too stupid or too slow to cover it.

I always miss what I want to see thanks to the long adverts on RTE player.
    I did see some lad stealing a bottle of wine though, shocking stuff.

Did you find any mention of Ryanair or any helium in that link you posted earlier in the thread?

pablo128 wrote: »
    Did you find any mention of Ryanair or any helium in that link you posted earlier in the thread?

Yes

He should be throw in jail then, and hopefully assaulted.

Yes

Could you show the rest of us? I've read that whole thread and don't see any mention of it.

You went to the trouble of making a post about it so the least you could do is highlight it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Seriously, a suitcase full of helium? :pac:

Advertisement