Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Catalytic converter theft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Many thanks for this, googled but no specific information, ffs and I was hoping to upgrade to a Prius next year

Anyone I know of in Limerick who has a 2nd gen has had it either stolen or had an attempt on it. The 3rd gen is far less common in Ireland but they are being stolen. In fairness ours was stolen outside the house. Had there been a tilt alarm installed it would definitely have woken us up and disturbed them.

Speaking with a local Toyota dealer as soon as the car is jacked up the alarm will sound which should in theory help the thieves disperse. €325 for a tilt alarm is in my opinion expensive though but as per my original post I am not sure if they are charging labour for this. Surely Toyota should not be making money off a design flaw in which it makes it easy to remove the cat. I wouldn't be surprised though.

There is also a plate which you can buy on ebay to cover the cat. They seem to be a popular purchase especially among taxi drivers.

I am currently on my 3rd Prius and would highly recommend them only for the cat issue and level of support from Toyota Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭elperello

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Of course they dont. Another case where the Irish car consumer gets stuffed

You are at a significant disadvantage buying a Toyota in Ireland, the warranty is 3 years as against 5 years in UK.

Caveat emptor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

elperello wrote: »
    You are at a significant disadvantage buying a Toyota in Ireland, the warranty is 3 years as against 5 years in UK.

Caveat emptor.

Rip off Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Lads bit of information Pls, if anyone knows.
    I've a 2012 Honda insight hybrid, does anyone know if these models are also being targeted?
    Or I'd it only newer model Toyota hybrids?
    Thank you
    P. S. I've not heard of my model being robbed but nevertheless I'd like to know.

The problem is not unique to hybrids in any way, it's all about easy access to the cat and the quality (rare metals), and the Gen 2 Prius (2003-2009) is a popular target because of that.

I've heard of thefts with the Jazz/Fit and CR-V but not the Insight.

The problem is not unique to hybrids in any way, it's all about easy access to the cat and the quality (rare metals), and the Gen 2 Prius (2003-2009) is a popular target because of that.

Thanks jazz etc are that bit higher off the ground that maybe a factor, though from what I read some of the whures use Jack's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Why higher quality metal in a hybrid?

Engine is running colder due to stop start, or they want to meet some emission criteria?

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Why higher quality metal in a hybrid?

Higher quality metal in a Toyota ;)
    1st generation Yaris is also a target, there are no hybrids.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Alleged theft of a CC filmed in Leixlip yesterday (I would presume gardai can find them based on the reg 08DL12356)...

https://twitter.com/_KellyCampbell/status/1346600098994728971?s=19

Alleged theft of a CC filmed in Leixlip yesterday (I would presume gardai can find them based on the reg 08DL12356)...

Disgusting if genuine

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Car looks legit or cloned from legit, has valid NCT and tax is valid until end of next month, no ownership changes in the last 3 months. Hopefully they are caught, scummers, would have been satisfying for the car to come down on top of him and them to need medical assistance.

• Advertisement
    M

Car looks legit or cloned from legit, has valid NCT and tax is valid until end of next month, no ownership changes in the last 3 months. Hopefully they are caught, scummers, would have been satisfying for the car to come down on top of him and them to need medical assistance.

I should have got a job with the boys in blue, it's a cloned plate, some poor punter with his car on Donedeal might get a knock on the door, defo not the same car, it's an S Line in the ad, poverty spec on the thieves....
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a4-2-0tdi-s-line-ncttax/26868076

A good example of why not to put your plate on Donedeal.

I should have got a job with the boys in blue, it's a cloned plate, some poor punter with his car on Donedeal might get a knock on the door, defo not the same car, it's an S Line in the ad, poverty spec on the thieves....

Thought twas stolen

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Not hard to notice totally different cars as one that's in robbery is older model, totally different car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Higher quality metal in a Toyota ;)
    1st generation Yaris is also a target, there are no hybrids.

Yaris and Prius share a platform, probaby a case of transferable skills, not quite as valuable but lots more of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭CharlieHaghy

Was over in Birmingham there for a few days and theft of cats and old land rovers is more rampant than corona.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Was over in Birmingham there for a few days and theft of cats and old land rovers is more rampant than corona.

why old land rovers ?

why old land rovers ?

probably dont need to jack them?

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Yaris and Prius share a platform, probaby a case of transferable skills, not quite as valuable but lots more of them.

1st gen Yaris and 2nd gen Prius don't share any platform...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Avoid Luas Red Cow car park.

Somebody partially sliced off one end underneath my CRV, but must have been disturbed.

ebbsy wrote: »

Somebody partially sliced off one end underneath my CRV, but must have been disturbed.

Bastards

• Advertisement
    M

Yes it's rampant there, needs to be a bait car placed and them arrested or worse ;), pure scrotes on society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Definitely was in need of an "accidental" shove off the jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Mimon wrote: »
    Definitely was in need of an "accidental" shove off the jack.

There'll be no cameras around if they are stealing one, no doubt there will if you push a car off its jack, Id be tempted

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That car park has long been known for being targetted by scum. Theft from cars, theft of cars and latterly catalytic converter thefts. Feck all has been done about it either.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    That car park has long been known for being targetted by scum. Theft from cars, theft of cars and latterly catalytic converter thefts. Feck all has been done about it either.

Yep

Got an email off the guys running it and called the cops, but in reality I was wasting my time.

Will never go near there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Del2005 wrote: »
    What power have the Gardai to make scrap dealers require photo ID when buying? And even if they do catch them all that will happen is a day in court for the Garda and the person will still be stealing while on bail and as soon as they get out of prison, if they even end up there.

Our justice system is flawed and corrupt, solicitors and barristers make good money doing free legal aid cases so what's the incentive for reforming offenders, and it won't be fixed from the inside and our politicians don't have the guts to fix it.

I mean if they caught a bunch of them, they'd be in the system for a bit and out again, a minor part of the cost of doing business to certain gentlemen of the road. I worry a bit about this happening to a current Toyota Corolla, but hopefully it isn't so easy to remove now.

If I came back to the jeep and found it up on a jack with a pair of legs underneath I know what I would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Brother had his CAT cut off a Yaris. Found a new one for £90 on ebay, was bit skeptical but it just passed its NCT.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Any roigh idea on how many cats have been stolen in the last year or two?
    Who are buying them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Brother had his CAT cut off a Yaris. Found a new one for £90 on ebay, was bit skeptical but it just passed its NCT.

Probably stolen off another....

Advertisement