Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Catalytic converter theft

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

I've seen a cubic metre container of cats sell for 16 thousand euro cash, so well worth their while and the risk

I had this open in another tab and had forgotten what thread this was. Had to think about that for a while... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

That's a lot of effort and risk for little reward, they must be desperados.

No risk when there's no punishment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

This is now a thing? Anyone know if this a threat for older cars only as the article seems to imply?

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2019/0612/1054992-catalytic-coverter-thefts/

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's not new though it's probably only been happening over here recently with the increased popularity in hybrid cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

Hybrids are the most expensive to replace and seem to be targeted most so not sure if age matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It has been going on for years, here and UK.
    Probably a mix of local talent and gangs from eastern Europe.

Here is an article from 2013

Another from 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

As long as the price for the precious metals within them remains at all time highs, these thefts will continue to happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I always hope one gets caught by the wrong owner and has their hand chopped off at the wrist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I work for a business which periodically has an amount of catalytic convertors for scrap. The last time we brought them to be weighed in, we were offered a euro each for them. ( Some were literally brand new.) We throw them in with general scrap metal now.

I have heard of Eastern European gutting the cats here and taking whatever is worth money from the inside. They then fill a suitcase and bring it to Eastern Europe. I assume they get a few quid over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

pablo128 wrote: »
    I work for a business which periodically has an amount of catalytic convertors for scrap. The last time we brought them to be weighed in, we were offered a euro each for them. ( Some were literally brand new.) We throw them in with general scrap metal now.

I have heard of Eastern European gutting the cats here and taking whatever is worth money from the inside. They then fill a suitcase and bring it to Eastern Europe. I assume they get a few quid over there.

Are these the same ones that eat our swans?

Why is platinum worth so much more in Eastern Europe and why do they have to fill a suitcase and not just use a regualr shipping company?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

tuxy wrote: »

Why is platinum worth so much more in Eastern Europe and why do they have to fill a suitcase and not just use a regualr shipping company?

It’s more that recyclers purposely aren’t enabling the thieves and aren’t paying market rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

tuxy wrote: »

You need to define Easter Europe first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Seweryn wrote: »
    You need to define Easter Europe first.

The part of Europe that's perpetually Easter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The Gen 2 Prius (2003-2009) has been a common target for cat theft worldwide due to easy access and the apparent quality of the materials.

As the article says, newer models (Gen 3 from mid 2009 onwards) do not have an easily removable catalytic converter. It's an issue with a specific model of car, not hybrids in general. SUVs and other vehicles with higher ride heights are common targets too.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭glomar

happening out my place of work recently 1 guy got hit twice in a month insurance refusing too cover the 2nd replacement . 2008 prius i think . but it was hybrids that are being targeted 8 in one day at one point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Happened a lads late 90s mitsubishi l200 near me last night.. odd I thought but a cat is a cat i guess:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Epidemic in Clare/Galway for Gen 2 Priuseseseses

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You can buy locking kits online, I'd say worth getting if you have a Prius gen 2 especially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

galwaytt wrote: »
    Epidemic in Clare/Galway for Gen 2 Priuseseseses

lots of culture around there though isn't there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Is there a "league table" of cars that are more likely to be targetted for this sort of thing? The Toyota Prius seems to be one. What about an old VW Passat?

(I'm only asking for a friend :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

is it cultural appropriation for other nationalities to steal metal for scrap ? will pavee point have a fit about it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

i was praying the jack would fail on the c*nt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Another question:

If somebody swipes your catalytic converter from under your car, how would you know? It can't be seen from your vantage point as you enter your car. Would the engine start up as normal? Would it roar as if the exhaust pipe was gone? What are the symptoms?

It's a far cry from the days when all VW owners had to worry about was Beastie Boys fans stealing the badges from the front grille. (Reference that only people of a certain age may get :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Saw a recent video on facebook... white transit, tow rope tied around the cat and dragged out from under the car... as much damage as they do with a reciprocating saw, as least the car is left mostly intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

how much are they getting per cat? rough figures... are we talking like a tenner or 500e?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

Another question:

If somebody swipes your catalytic converter from under your car, how would you know? It can't be seen from your vantage point as you enter your car. Would the engine start up as normal? Would it roar as if the exhaust pipe was gone? What are the symptoms?

It's a far cry from the days when all VW owners had to worry about was Beastie Boys fans stealing the badges from the front grille. (Reference that only people of a certain age may get :) )

It would be loud and I'd say the engine mgmt light would be on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I've heard reports of two Prius cat thefts in Cork in recent weeks, including one 3rd generation Prius (2009-2015) so I guess they're not as safe as I previously thought. And that's more concerning as I have one...

I wonder would getting a dashcam be an effective deterrent? It would have to be the type with a useful "parking mode" and battery, etc. I usually reverse in when parking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Yesterday I parked the CRV in there...when I came back I found somebody had tried to slice the converter off .... it's only a welding job thank ****.

Be careful.

Advertisement