Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Artane2002 wrote: »
    That knee deep stuff would have been at sea level if it was less marginal :(

I know! But the GFS said it so I knew I had to at least hike to the hills ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Most places dry and clear but just went out the back there and the ground is white (Castlebar) following a small shower, reflected in the warning update

Status Yellow - Snow-ice warning for Ireland
    Updated Friday:
    Continuing very cold with severe frost overnight and ice on untreated surfaces.
    Scattered snow showers in northern and northwestern areas also.
    Valid: Friday 01 February 2019 21:00 to Saturday 02 February 2019 10:00
    Issued: Tuesday 29 January 2019 10:06
    Updated: Friday 01 February 2019 21:52

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Class photos Villain!

Roughly what altitude was the snow line on Lug?

From below Ballineddan, so about 300m

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some nice streamers along the north Mayo coast now. Also,some lightning in the showers off the west coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Some nice streamers along the north Mayo coast now. Also,some lightning in the showers off the west coast.

Just watching those. North Mayo might do ok from them. A few beefy looking ones too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Despite the offshore wind, looks like some Irish Sea showers may brush the east coast later?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Despite the offshore wind, looks like some Irish Sea showers may brush the east coast later?

Unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

-1.7c North Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

DOCARCH wrote: »

After a quick glance at the Hirlam, the 925 and 700 hPa winds have a slight NNE direction to them for the next few hours, so a clipping is possible. Agree with Snowbiee21 it's unlikely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Had about 1cm of fresh snow here tonight, wasn't expecting anything so nice surprise :) Looks like that might be our lot for this spell though some heavy showers off the NW coast so might catch a rogue one later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Perfect snow conditions here in south dublin. Can see it on the mountains from here if I can be bothered looking, but don’t have to deal with the fact of the whyte shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Bitter cold out here. Finger breaking cold

Yesterday when the clouds cleared, the mountains emerged in bright sun and utter white glory. I found a sunny corner, wrapped up and sat out a while, just gazing rapt. Brings tears and joy it does. WISH I could take photos but have imprinted it in my memory. Every contour and fold and crease, highlighted in pure icy white
    And so grateful to all here who have given joy by their sharings.. means so much.... thank you

Just wish it would ease off the cold a while,,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Gurteen is -3.9 at 7 am. Casement -3.6. Dublin Airport got down to -3.6 before 6 am but is at -3.1 now.

The showers along Atlantic coasts are all being reported as rain, except for Sligo Airport, which reports sleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

more snow on ground in Sligo today....bonus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Ninja snow in outside Ballina Mayo unexpected-love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

One very happy four year old! Just as well I didn’t decide to go back to Kildare today, usually travel first thing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Eg06L1L.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

More snow in Sligo today so ill try and attach pics

Hv better ones but file size too big

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Low of -5.3c here in N Kildare which makes it my lowest temp of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Hard frost this morning, sports fixtures cancelled :mad:
    Some showers coming from the west, they look to be dieing before the reach here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Looked out the window to see some light snow that stuck. West Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭jimmyjim11

fresh fall of snow in west limerick hills bit of thunder aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Usual story, when conditions are right, the precipitation is not there. Light snow here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Usual story, when conditions are right, the precipitation is not there. Light snow here now.

A perfect summation of the frustration of being an Irish snow hunter - when it's cold enough, there's not enough precipitation, when there's precipitation, it usually comes with air that is too mild............

D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

If the snow won’t come to you, you go to it :D.

Will have pics later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Light Covering of snow here this morning in Donegal, frozen solid over it, roads are dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Corofin co galway 02/02/19 08.55 temperature 0°C
    W8IrRWy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Drove up the mountains today past Glencullen and Roundwood. You could see traces of snow left as low as 150m but very clear that the snow line started around 200m.

Still lots left above that level, really decent amounts in fields, and the mountains themselves a winter wonderland still. But not on the road as far as I went.

Turned round at 350m ASL for fear of getting stuck. RWD.

Sryan, looks like you were over Glencree direction? Probably 100m higher again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,714 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Snow ants summiting Moylussa in East Clare - from 6 km away.

Snow-ants.jpg

Snow-Ants-close.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

sryanbruen wrote: »
    If the snow won’t come to you, you go to it :D.

https://youtu.be/7EtLqmIBm_w

Will have pics later.

That totally misses the point.........we want SNOW AT HOME IN IRELAND........ transforming the landscapes we love so well..........

D

Advertisement