Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭amor3

Very light snow starting D24

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Grainy snow super light and no rain Dublin 6

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Good heavy snow shower here on the Laois/kildare border...to little to late unfortunately sun is out so not going to last pissing time.

Edit: it’s now stoped and nearly gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

The briefest of showers a few mins ago in D9 near the Met Eireann building. Small snow flakes turned quickly to graupel and then stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Black ice on minor roads in Limerick

No frost on the grass, but car doors and windows frozen.

Clear blue skies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

471892.png
    Roads completely covered in black ice this morning, then there was a snow shower about 90 minutes ago, southeast of Enfield. In the past hour, a heavy shower passed over Kilcock, just to my east....so probably a decent dusting there.

Sun is out now and temp is still a chilly -0.9c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

If the streamer coming down by Dublin peps up more it could give a good dusting it's just about reaching my part of Kildare

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Suns out here in the part of Dublin I'm in! :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

180 odd pages here for a skift of snow in a few locations 😂😂the hunger for snow still very strong

Imagine how many pages it would be if there actually was decent snowfall :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

woke up to a very slight dusting of graupel, only really visible on hard surfaces, not really visible in the grass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Loughc wrote: »

If last year is anything to go by.... ;)

Tb6YKHf.png

(There was another prelude thread at nearly 3,000 posts too)

sryanbruen wrote: »
    If last year is anything to go by.... ;)

Tb6YKHf.png

(There was another prelude thread at nearly 3,000 posts too)

3 Million views is just unbelievable. I vividly remember those threads, unreal craic, might be perfect for a Sunday afternoon reading this weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

90, as people would go out and play in the snow :pac:

3 Million views is just unbelievable. I vividly remember those threads, unreal craic, might be perfect for a Sunday afternoon reading this weekend!

Remember us giving out about the "rain" on the Thursday night :P

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hey, we've a whole month of Winter to go yet :D

Remember us giving out about the "rain" on the Thursday night :P

OMG yes haha. And being told it was ICE/Snow pellets falling and we were being negative haha :D

I still stand by it was rain :p

seamus wrote: »
    Hey, we've a whole month of Winter to go yet :D

The dream is over for me for this winter, roll on winter 2019/20 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

I am booking a snow holiday next year to ensure I at least get my snow fix ....... lol

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The dream is over for me for this winter, roll on winter 2019/20 :P

This winter has been a massive let down, certainly went completely pear shaped for Ireland. However I'm not giving up hope of still pulling off an easterly before April. There is still a chance we may get something in the second half of February.

I'd prefer if we got something a bit earlier than last year, but time is now running out and we may strike an easterly in final few days of February or first two weeks of March, which is not ideal.

When desperation get's this bad you suddenly don't mind wishing for an easterly in March, when it can still deliver if it is potent enough.

We will need a direct hit for proper cold and instability to deliver a proper snow event in March, rather than a weak effort like March 2013.

• Advertisement

kittyn wrote: »
    I am booking a snow holiday next year to ensure I at least get my snow fix ....... lol

If I can (which won't be likely), I plan a holiday to Austria or Canada next Winter. No doubt it'll be exceptionally mild when I'm there and no snow at all much like my New York holiday this season :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

If I can (which won't be likely), I plan a holiday to Austria or Canada next Winter. No doubt it'll be exceptionally mild when I'm there and no snow at all much like my New York holiday this season :rolleyes:

that's a bit like in October 2008 (I think it was), i went to Berlin for a weekend and while I was there it snowed here at home. I've never seen lying snow in Ireland during October, but the one time it happened I was outside the country and there was no snow in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Billcarson

December was the warning sign for this winter. Rarely in recent times are very mild December's followed by much wintry weather in Jan or feb. As much as I hoped the ssw would deliver that was always at the back of my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Is there any chance we might get an easterly like last year yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

A trip to Norway or Sweden for me next winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Billcarson wrote: »
    December was the warning sign for this winter. Rarely in recent times are very mild December's followed by much wintry weather in Jan or feb. As much as I hoped the ssw would deliver that was always at the back of my mind.

We are only now going to see the effects of the SSW in our models from now on. I wouldn't write off Feb or Mar. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Driving to Dublin from Rathdrum was an experience this morning. The roads in and around Rathdrum village itself were driveable but slippy in places and had lying snow. Quite literally as soon as I left the boundary of the village the road was as clear as you like. It was like it's own little snowy eco-system!

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Is there any chance we might get an easterly like last year yet

I imagine it's too early to tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Billcarson wrote: »

We are only now going to see the effects of the SSW in our models from now on. I wouldn't write off Feb or Mar. :p

Perhaps. But the clock is ticking.
    March snow is more often then not as useful as t#ts on a bull.

Advertisement