Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭guil

White gold falling in Newbridge, Co. Kildare now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

Got up, cleared the snow off the car, got a few hundred meters sideways, abandoned ship and walked home. Snow is frozen solid. No morning for RWD.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭gastons

In longford but in the sticks, completely snow covered. Roads not gritted, no sounds of cars on the main road which is unusual. Far too risky to drive at the moment. Hoping for a thaw?

Have pics but it won't let me upload

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭donal.hunt

pc7 wrote: »
    Those lucky enough for the white stuff, can you post pics please

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gVAgTXMqWHNFaHeS6

Location: Coolowen townland, Co. Cork (between Blarney and Whitechurch). Similar elevation to Cork airport - 150m asl i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

-2 in Naas, it looked like a small snow shower happened during the night gave a dusting.

Standing at the train station and it is ever so slightly snowing.

• Advertisement

Work out how to upload a picture. Back of house, east longford country side

Lucreto wrote: »
    -2 in Naas, it looked like a small snow shower happened during the night gave a dusting.

Standing at the train station and it is ever so slightly snowing.

Hardly just in the last few minutes? I drove through Naas just before 5am and there was no sign of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

Macroom co cork

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Northside of cork city very slow traffic, gonna attempt it myself in a minute. My friend just got into city centre on the bus...it’s like an alternate universe, not a flake of the stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

guil wrote: »
    Hardly just in the last few minutes? I drove through mass just before 5am and there was no sign of anything.

You might want snow a lot but NO driving through mass! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

6 am snowdepths:

9 cm: Thomastown (Tyrone, 72 m)
    7 cm: Ballypatrick Forest (Antrim, 156 m)
    4 cm: Lough Fea (Derry, 225 m)
    3 cm: Cork Airport (153 m)
    1 cm: Castlederg (Tyrone, 52 m), Knock Airport (205 m)

7 am

9 cm: Thomastown (Tyrone, 72 m)
    8 cm: Ballypatrick Forest (Antrim, 156 m)
    4 cm: Lough Fea (Derry, 225 m)
    3 cm: Cork Airport (153 m)
    2 cm: Knock Airport (205 m)
    1 cm: Castlederg (Tyrone, 52 m),

Main road at the front of the house. East Longford countryside

dacogawa wrote: »
    You might want snow a lot but NO driving through mass! ;)

Damn phone haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭pauldry

With all these depths surely an Orange Snow warning should have been effective...

Isnt greater than 3cm Orange

Brings into question warnings once more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

guil wrote: »
    Hardly just in the last few minutes? I drove through Naas just before 5am and there was no sign of anything.

It wasn't much, if you were driving you may not of seen it but standing on the platform you could see it in the street lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

pauldry wrote: »
    With all these depths surely an Orange Snow warning should have been effective...

Isnt greater than 3cm Orange

Brings into question warnings once more

:eek:

forecasting, like medicine, is not an exact science.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭redsky7

A light dusting in Blackrock co cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Family rang in from Cork and said they’ve been snowed in, just outside of Rochestown. Not too deep but they live quite high up so the roads would be fairly lethal in this weather.

Not a flake fell in Dublin overnight I’d imagine but the charts this morning are still divided over tomorrow, the GFS/GFSP and some of the short range models still go for some sleet/snow reaching Dublin and the east coast later on but Harmonie has a very weak front crossing the country before it fizzles out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭pad199207

Managed to get a sprinkling of flakes in Naas. Glistening on the cars. -2.1c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Outside Whitechurch Cork. Roads lethal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

N4 at Edgeworthstown in Longford was in a terrible state this morning. No sign of gritters or snowplough. Bad form from the council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Light dusting of snow here in my area of meath, just watched the bbc forecast for tomorrow, looks a dry day for us

A dry day for Meath maybe, Carol is still adamant that at least half the island will see lots of snow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The road

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Beautiful sky out there this morning, snow won't last long when the sun rises.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭superdog

Sky is turning red over the Dublin area......it's a sign...

Return to power draws near

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

What's it like around Tralee?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

gastons wrote: »
    In longford but in the sticks, completely snow covered. Roads not gritted, no sounds of cars on the main road which is unusual. Far too risky to drive at the moment. Hoping for a thaw?

Have pics but it won't let me upload

Most schools have shut in the area id say due to buses not running, mine has.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭TheChizler

First year I haven't appreciated it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

God tomorrow is frustratingly hard to figure out. Need to travel Dublin to north mayo either tonight after 6 or tomorrow. It looks like it will be horrible frosty and foggy tonight so tomorrow with rain would be better but then I’d met Éireann and Harmonie under egged it I could end up in snow showers. Grr. Decisions decisions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭prunudo

Just looking at BBC weather there and it looks like tomorrow evening could be interesting for Wicklow, bands of showers coming in from the sea. Hard to tell exactly as she was standing over most of southern half of the country. A lot of snow forecast for the Wales and southern England tomorrow.

Advertisement