Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A random waffle thread? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I think this is my first time in the "random waffle" thread. What a train wreck.

Keep it civil.

Folks, anyone know a good tailor in town? No disrespect or anything but the tailors I knew of are all retired or have passed. My fathers generation and so on. Need to get my suit sorted in the next week or so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Folks, anyone know a good tailor in town? No disrespect or anything but the tailors I knew of are all retired or have passed. My fathers generation and so on. Need to get my suit sorted in the next week or so

Hello. There's a clothing alteration and sewing shop at the top of Roches Street next to Costelloe Doors which I have used myself on a few occasions including once to have a suit jacket relined. I can recommend them. Good quality workmanship and not pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Was in Lucky Lane today for the first time great little shop with atmosphere.

Visited the museum also must be 20 years since I visited the old museum they need a wealthy donor to expand only a fraction of the collection is on display

Final point is a rant for God sake people of limerick please pick up your dog s... it's so ignorant it's unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

:P:P
    ?format=1000w

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I guess this is part of the result of hiring that consultant group about rebranding Limerick or whatever it was people were talking about lately:

https://www.limerick.ie/sites/default/files/media/documents/2019-04/Limerick-Tourism-Development-Strategy-Action-Plan.pdf

I haven't read it but may be of interest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

keane2097 wrote: »
    I guess this is part of the result of hiring that consultant group about rebranding Limerick or whatever it was people were talking about lately:

https://www.limerick.ie/sites/default/files/media/documents/2019-04/Limerick-Tourism-Development-Strategy-Action-Plan.pdf

I don't see their name on it. Says on the bottom that it was prepared by Future Analytics, Louise Brown Associates and DBA.

The Rebranding was being done by M&C Saatchi. Looking forward to reading this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

keane2097 wrote: »

This was in the works for a long time, before the rebranding was a project so the 2 are separate.

I haven’t read the final version but I did read the draft last year. It’s fairly pathetic. Here’s a quick summary: visit limerick because we’re near cork, kerry, Clare and Galway, and sure while your here, stop off and killmallock or somewhere like that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Anywhere in Limerick who'd repair a DVD player?

Anywhere in Limerick who'd repair a DVD player?

Michael Keyes,
    Maloney's Yard, Little Gerald Griffin Street. 061 414320.
    He does TV repair so might be able to help you although it might be cheaper overall to buy a good used one. Try Adverts.ie

• Advertisement

ya you can get a sony dvd player in harveys @ moment for 39e

https://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/home-cinema-media-players-soundbars/dvd-players/sony-dvd-player-dvpsr170b.html

even cheaper in Currys fof dvd player basic

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

chicorytip wrote: »
    Michael Keyes,
    Maloney's Yard, Little Gerald Griffin Street. 061 414320.
    He does TV repair so might be able to help you although it might be cheaper overall to buy a good used one. Try Adverts.ie
    ya you can get a sony dvd player in harveys @ moment for 39e

https://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/home-cinema-media-players-soundbars/dvd-players/sony-dvd-player-dvpsr170b.html

even cheaper in Currys fof dvd player basic

Thank ye both. :) I got the use of a second-hand one recently that came with a surround sound speaker system, so I'd prefer to get that working again instead of picking up a new one.

Thank ye both. :) I got the use of a second-hand one recently that came with a surround sound speaker system, so I'd prefer to get that working again instead of picking up a new one.

Ya they are rare to come by
    Here is just a price for a Sony one for the craic
    https://www.sony.ie/electronics/all-in-one-home-cinema-systems/dav-tz140/buy

Anyone else in Dooradoyle/raheen area having Eir phone issues. 1st the phone stopped worked couldn't call anyone.& broadband was working. . (I am getting the fast beeping noise when I plug phone into modem to check if I was getting a dial tone.)
    Like this problem here
    https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/Constant-beeping-on-phone-line/td-p/36194

So apparently election posters are going up. Much dissapoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

From what I've observed lately, rents in Limerick are now on a par if not having surpassed Galway, astonishing increase since circa 2015

1400 per month being asked for a two bed apartment in dooradoyle online, four bed houses in kilteragh dooradoyle were a grand four years ago

Mad_maxx wrote:
    From what I've observed lately, rents in Limerick are now on a par if not having surpassed Galway, astonishing increase since circa 2015

Mad_maxx wrote:
    1400 per month being asked for a two bed apartment in dooradoyle online, four bed houses in kilteragh dooradoyle were a grand four years ago

If you look at property to rent on Daft you will notice the majority of landlords are employing agents to handle the letting process for them rather than doing so themselves. This is a major change I have noticed -in Limerick at any rate - over the past two years and could be a contributory factor in the overall increase in rents as estate agents would naturally advise the property owner to seek the highest permissable rate. You will notice quite a disparity in amounts being asked for similar properties let through an agency compared to those let directly by the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

chicorytip wrote: »
    If you look at property to rent on Daft you will notice the majority of landlords are employing agents to handle the letting process for them rather than doing so themselves. This is a major change I have noticed -in Limerick at any rate - over the past two years and could be a contributory factor in the overall increase in rents as estate agents would naturally advise the property owner to seek the highest permissable rate. You will notice quite a disparity in amounts being asked for similar properties let through an agency compared to those let directly by the landlord.

A rent of 1400 per month should see a property selling for over 200k yet bar the strand apartments, this isn't happening, either house and apartment sale prices are going much higher or rents are insanely out of whack

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I will be letting my house in 3 months time so have been keeping a close eye on rents and by all accounts €1500 a month is a fair price for a 3 bed house at the moment. I haven't even advertised and have a queue of 5 people wanting to take it, it's truly nuts.

I will be letting my house in 3 months time so have been keeping a close eye on rents and by all accounts €1500 a month is a fair price for a 3 bed house at the moment. I haven't even advertised and have a queue of 5 people wanting to take it, it's truly nuts.

Nuts indeed. €1500 a month to rent a gaff anywhere in Limerick is scandalous. You and me know that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Nuts indeed. €1500 a month to rent a gaff anywhere in Limerick is scandalous. You and me know that.

Not if people can afford it. Perhaps we are all wealthy now :)

Not if people can afford it. Perhaps we are all wealthy now :)

:D:D:D:D

that would be most people wages all gone every month on rent

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Why has the river side walk from the Mill Rd to Grove Island fallen into such disrepair? I walked it last night and it's such a nice walk. Especially as it completes a great loop that goes UL-Rhebogue-Shannon Fields-the top of Mill Rd, this section of the river goes to Grove Island where you can get on the canal back to Rhebogue-UL. But impossible for anyone with any sort of mobility issues, especially as in several fallen places trees completely block the "path." I know some of those would have fallen on Friday night but not all have. It's really sad to see all the old public benches along the path that have just rusted to uselessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

iguana wrote: »
    Why has the river side walk from the Mill Rd to Grove Island fallen into such disrepair? I walked it last night and it's such a nice walk. Especially as it completes a great loop that goes UL-Rhebogue-Shannon Fields-the top of Mill Rd, this section of the river goes to Grove Island where you can get on the canal back to Rhebogue-UL. But impossible for anyone with any sort of mobility issues, especially as in several fallen places trees completely block the "path." I know some of those would have fallen on Friday night but not all have. It's really sad to see all the old public benches along the path that have just rusted to uselessness.

How do you actually get on to that section? Where does it start from the Mill Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Lads, anyone else think Lana in Castletroy is completely sub par compared to the O'Connell Street branch?

Soggy peppered chicken, overcooked chicken in curry, and a big lump of unmixed wasabi at the bottom of my tub are some of the stuff I've experienced from Castletroy. Never had an issue with O'Connell Street

toodleytoo wrote: »
    How do you actually get on to that section? Where does it start from the Mill Road?

Go left at the bottom of the Mill Road.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

toodleytoo wrote: »

As Source said. From the fairy garden if you look across the road you'll see the laneway that gives access to the boat huts/houses along the river. Go down the laneway, it seems like a dead end but there is a narrow path at the end. A tiny narrow bridge over the stream and then a narrow access path that leads to the dirt path that will bring you all around the river toward Grove Island. I don't know if it's an overhang from childhood but that first part of the pathway feels like something out of a fairytale/Enid Blython adventure. But it's good walk if you are up for climbing through the broken trees and personally, I prefer a loop walk to going to far and then turning back. It's a shame that it hasn't been made just a little bit more accessible for walkers and cyclists (there is no way to get through it on a bike now) and that the benches aren't restored.

That stupid limerick run is on sunday isnt it ? blocked into my house for most of the day so. closing down the roads for a stupid run

That stupid limerick run is on sunday isnt it ? blocked into my house for most of the day so. closing down the roads for a stupid run

Its only once a year and its not like we don't know about it at this stage. I used to give out about it too but this year is different for me. They can block off whatever they want. RFL!

• Advertisement

Its only once a year and its not like we don't know about it at this stage. I used to give out about it too but this year is different for me. They can block off whatever they want. RFL!

I know but when you are working its a pain in the arse

Advertisement