Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calls for Graham Linehan to be removed from Prime Debate on transgender issues!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,651 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I don’t, no.

Obtuse questions don’t detract from biological fact.

Do you generally feel the need to align others’ opinions with your own?
    Isn't it the same though? The facts show there is no god. Some people choose to believe in it, so why do you let them on with their thing, while insisting on on 'the truth' for transgender people?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I'm told that if you head to Thailand, you might find some pretty confusing scenarios arising there that might challenge your certainty about being able to tell one from other.

I lived in Bangkok for a year-I could spot a transexual quite easily after a few weeks. There are certain lines and ratios associated with the male body that just can't be fixed through surgery, even if their face is very pretty (I have no problem acknowledging that.)
    Seeing as you raised the subject of Thailand, is the preponderance of transsexualism there (and to a lesser extent in other South East Asian countries) not prima-facie evidence that there is a strong social contagion element to the phenomenon? Otherwise it would have to be genetic or environmental, neither of which is the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Isn't it the same though? The facts show there is no god. Some people choose to believe in it, so why do you let them on with their thing, while insisting on on 'the truth' for transgender people?

I do though, I’ve said that a thousand times.

If you’re asking me do I believe they are biologically equivalent to born women/men then no, I don’t.

I’m not sure I can articulate that in a way to make it better understood. You appear to find me in some way deficient because I won’t say that a trans man/woman is the same as a person that was born in a man/woman’s body.

I’ve yet to see any evidence even approaching a convincing argument from you, or anyone else in this thread to make me question fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭fattymuatty

BBFAN wrote: »
    Nope, I'm a woman and I put no initials or anything else before what I am either.

As is a transsexual woman. She's a woman, what's the difference?

And believe me I know from experience men don't give two fcuks as long as there's a vagina involved.

I defy any man to tell me different.

I'm really confused about the fact you seem to have so much to say but don't even know the basics of biology. Trans women can't have vaginas or birth canals as they are also called. So as you say yourself if men don't give two fcuks as long as there is a vagina, then it follows some men won't want to have sex with transwomen even post op as they don't have vaginas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭AllForIt

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Transgender people exist. Literally no one has said otherwise. But they are not the same as a person who is not transgender. They don't magically literally become the opposite sex. Some people are not attracted to a person who has transitioned for various reasons and that's ok. Some people are, that's ok too. Whatever.

Unfortunately this is what they *think* can happen through so called transitioning.

The problem is they know full well it's not the same and that is why they continue to have mental problems even when medical intervention has done as much as it can.

From all accounts some ppl feel better about themselves to a degree but like that trans man on Prime Time the other day he still seems to be struggling. And I doubt that's because he feels non acceptance in society, it's because of his own problems that he knows will never go away. Not that I think that's not possible given the right treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

How does that work for people who’s preferred gender pronouns are non-binary? Nobody is denying they exist, they’re saying themselves that they are neither man nor woman.

It’s very simple alright - gender and sex are two completely different concepts. Humans are a biologically dichotomous species - male and female. As regards gender, there can be an infinite number of genders, it still wouldn’t have any impact on biology.

The argument against the whole biological debate is always that sex and gender are two different things and that gender exists on spectrum but I'm full sure if a trans person was filling out a form and was presented with a question relating to sex they would fill it in as there chosen gender identity or simply be offended by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I think when it comes to children under the age of 18 anyone allowing and/or encouraging them to take extreme life changing drugs is tantamount to child abuse/wilful neglect. I think it is such a dangerous road to go down as a society.

Remember hearing about Fallon Fox a few years ago and how she is a transgender MMA fighter. Anybody that said, that looks like a man trying to kick the sh1t out of woman in a cage for money was put on 'Twitter blast'. That's when I knew this was a bad road. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Care to explain 1488 to those of us who don't frequent nazi sites?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourteen_Words

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I never called anyone any names. Just wondering why a man wouldn't have sex with a woman he found extremely attractive and was having a lovely time with?

Please explain?

Simple. A woman and a trans woman are not the same. I’ve no issue with an adult man transitioning to a woman, I’ll go along with whatever they want to be called and all the rest that goes with it but I’ve no interest in anything sexual with someone that used to be a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

A transsexual who has had the operation is a woman, suggesting that they're not suggests that they don't exist.

Very simple.

What if they transition the other way?

In any case you are wrong on this substantive point. Under Irish law you just need self id. No transition needed to be a woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,278 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I think it's suggested the Unisex facilities are more commonplace/opening to mostly appease transgenders unless I'm reading incorrectly.

They're bloody handy if you're a parent bringing child(ren) who are not the same sex/gender as you to a swimming pool.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,278 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

lol the left is literally eating itself
    us right wingers can relax and take over every government in europe, and the usa, and brazil

Brazil? Bit brown for you, no?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Cartroubles

Are there really people attacking posters that said they wouldn't want to have sex with a trans woman?

I'm all for live and let live, and that includes allowing people to have their sexual preferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

^I think most of that crap is just born out of trolls on social media....and young people on the same platform who haven't a clue.

If you follow the stories of these women who have shared their story, it's clear the pain and stress that is caused by having not fully transitioned yet. I've never seen anyone ever get a chip on their shoulder about dating pre op and the limitations it causes.

I'd argue that making a video about this is actually more dangerous because it gives legitimacy to what's clearly only a thing on social media designed to wind people up. The video only serves to peddle further that every day fear of those "whack job trannies trying to manipulate us all."

All that being said I agree with the woman's general sentiment about how dating is down to preference and finding a partner - no one should get a chip on their shoulder about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

Has Graham Linehan been knocked off his pedal stool yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,284 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Has Graham Linehan been knocked off his pedal stool yet ?

Knocked off his what?

Knocked off his what?

His ' pedal stool ' or for want of a better word his ' perch ' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I think the poster means pedestal

One of these?

pedal-stool-bs4734-tag1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭mazcon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Pedestal?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,647 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

branie2 wrote: »
    I think the poster means pedestal
    I think in his/her rush to be offended they forgot the correct word.
    #2019 folks.

ELM327 wrote: »
    I think in his/her rush to be offended they forgot the correct word.
    #2019 folks.

Due to my extensive reading of the Facebook thread i knew exactly what they meant.

The debate was a bit of a damp squid .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

*Squib

Yay, I get to be the grammar Nazi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Well, just be thankful it didn't have Jen Barber (IT Crowd) on the panel to give her insightful views.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭mazcon

Would anyone know where I could get a nice chester draws?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,647 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

For all intensive porpoises.

a07f7f1b36236de31601999051ea8c21d86822f72abf98f2ee609261eca856dd.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

mazcon wrote: »
    Would anyone know where I could get a nice chester draws?

If you are looking for Chester drawers there are loads of designer clothes shops in The Rows on Watergate st.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement