Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calls for Graham Linehan to be removed from Prime Debate on transgender issues!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

BBFAN wrote: »
    Bless, you obviously have no experience.

And you seem to overestimate surgical capability. A neovagina will have to be kept open with life long use of dilators or else it will shorten or even close. It has no natural lubrication, is prone to infection, can sometimes grow hair clumps inside due to improper treatment of follicles prior to inversion. No matter how much sex occurs there will never be conception so not much use for anyone who might like to make children. So, yeah, not the same as a biological woman. The vagina is not just a front hole or facsimile thereof.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Sonic Youth

klaaaz wrote: »
    They are transsexual women who also have floods of estrogen flowing through their bodies like the born females. And all that entails in its consequences.

Funny how you and other posters have not mentioned once about transsexual men, known as trans-men, Typical misogyny.

Wait now, if a woman becomes a man, how can he be a victim of misogny?

This is a mind bending thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Alright, maybe I need simple language for you so, a transsexual woman who has had the operation is a WOMAN so why would any man balk at that?

You're doing your side no favours with this type of comment. This is a perfect example of where there are legitimate concerns. The radical trans folk think lesbians should suck their dicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Does anyone ever get confused about the terminology.

I had though that the term Gender Dysphoria related to the condition itself but on this website I link to below it says that it actually refers to to the mental anguish suffered as a result.

https://transequality.org/issues/resources/frequently-asked-questions-about-transgender-people

What is gender dysphoria?

For some transgender people, the difference between the gender they are thought to be at birth and the gender they know themselves to be can lead to serious emotional distress that affects their health and everyday lives if not addressed. Gender dysphoria is the medical diagnosis for someone who experiences this distress.

I also have been thinking about the the term transgender. Surely the trans part of the word comes from the word transition? Maybe not, maybe someone can inform me. But if it does come from the word transition is that an odd name for the condition and indeed the whole demographic. There is noting inherently naturally traditional about it save for medical expertise that has only been made possible in recent decades so say 70 years ago the designation transgender wouldn't make any sense.

Your, perpetually confused on this issue. Willing to be informed, but only if it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,597 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

sabat wrote: »
    Even if the surgeon somehow managed to cobble together a world-class vadge, you still have the butchered chest, Adam's apple, man shoulders, man forearms, man jawline, deeper voice etc to contend with. At best you're talking about a rough simulation of a woman's body.

We've all seen the trash reality TV shows where the guys couldn't pick the transvestite or transgender woman out of a line up, or worse. I'm told that if you head to Thailand, you might find some pretty confusing scenarios arising there that might challenge your certainty about being able to tell one from other.

I can’t believe we may have some common ground here Andrew, it’s almost too new for me ;)
    Careful now. Down with that sort of thing.

Seriously all cycling jokes aside I genuinely don’t have any issue with how adults conduct themselves, that is absolutely none of my business and not on my patch so not my problem.

Where I disagree with some here is in the absolute acceptance that a trans person male/female is as completely male/female as their “born” male/female counterparts. It’s not a holding back, or a denial of anyone’s right to live as whatever gender they please.

It's not an unusual view that you hold. I'm just wondering who gains from the refusal of absolute acceptance. If it's not you holding something back, and it certainly doesn't benefit transgender people, why would you (and many others) insist on bringing this to the fore in all these discussions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

They are transsexual women who also have floods of estrogen flowing through their bodies like the born females. And all that entails in its consequences.

Funny how you and other posters have not mentioned once about transsexual men, known as trans-men, Typical misogyny.

What do you mean "all that entails in it's consequences"? We're not getting into the bonkers "trans women have periods" stuff now are we?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

mazcon wrote: »
    Or men with fannies
    sabat wrote: »
    Even if the surgeon somehow managed to cobble together a world-class vadge, you still have the butchered chest, Adam's apple, man shoulders, man forearms, man jawline, deeper voice etc to contend with. At best you're talking about a rough simulation of a woman's body.
    Gravelly wrote: »
    No she isn't. She's a man that's had an operation to look like a woman.

I could paint myself blue, but I still wouldn't be a smurf.
    Because he's a man who's had surgery to take on the crude appearance of a woman.
    TCM wrote: »
    A man who has 'the operation' is a man without a penis and with breasts through the use of medication. That's it. No more no less.

It's quite fascinating to see these keyboard warriors having more expert knowledge on specific transgender issues than the medical community who treat transgender people.
    If you feel offended by this, please contact the HSE/NHS teams of qualified psychiatrists, psychologists, endocrinologists and the actual surgeons, who have studied in depth transgender issues all their working lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

lol the left is literally eating itself
    us right wingers can relax and take over every government in europe, and the usa, and brazil

Care to explain 1488 to those of us who don't frequent nazi sites?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭mazcon

mazcon wrote: »
    Or men with fannies

I'm referring to the fact that many women ( me included) would not want to have sex with a man with a vagina ie a transman. Funny how it was assumed to be about transwomen...who's phobic again, remind me?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Nope, I'm a woman and I put no initials or anything else before what I am either.

As is a transsexual woman. She's a woman, what's the difference?

And believe me I know from experience men don't give two fcuks as long as there's a vagina involved.

I defy any man to tell me different.

I’m not sure there’s much point or need in telling you any different, it’s not likely to change your opinion either way, but I actually do give plenty of fcuks that there’s a lot more than just a vagina involved. I am not sexually attracted to transgender women, and that’s the difference - the qualifier ‘transgender’ is not necessary for women who’s sex is and always has been female throughout their whole life up to that point.

As for the whole point about what other criteria are considered relevant or irrelevant - anything which is considered fundamental to the nature of the sexual act is considered relevant. If a person has had gender affirmation surgery, I’m happy for them, just not so happy for them that I would want to engage in any sort of intimate acts with them.

This is all pretty much a moot point anyway as it’s incredibly rare that it happens, and when it happens, it can mean that the victim may make a complaint to the authorities, and the person could find themselves facing charges of sexual assault or rape.

Suffice to say - I don’t recommend anyone who is transgender ever try to do such a thing. They generally don’t, but there are that small minority who try and gaslight their victims into believing that there is no difference between them and a woman who is female and has always been of the female sex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

It's quite fascinating to see these keyboard warriors having more expert knowledge on specific transgender issues than the medical community who treat transgender people.
    If you feel offended by this, please contact the HSE/NHS teams of qualified psychiatrists, psychologists, endocrinologists and the actual surgeons, who have studied in depth transgender issues all their working lives.

Can you show me any scientific or medical evidence whatsoever that proves that there is no difference between a man who has an operation to become a woman, and an actual woman?

How many men who have transitioned to women have had babies for instance?
    How many have managed to convert their chromosomes to XX?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Careful now. Down with that sort of thing.

It's not an unusual view that you hold. I'm just wondering who gains from the refusal of absolute acceptance. If it's not you holding something back, and it certainly doesn't benefit transgender people, why would you (and many others) insist on bringing this to the fore in all these discussions?

For me it’s not just an opinion, it is a fact that a trans woman/man is not and never will be a biological woman/man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

How has self-identification hurt women in Ireland in the two years since it happened here?

As I ceded before it hasn’t. Self identification has the potential to make women’s spaces and sports open to non transitioned trans women, ie full biological men.

This is why there’s clear disquiet amongst many online female forums.
    Not quite 'nothing happened' - he was explicitly warned by the police to stop contacting a particular person.
    https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/police-speak-to-father-ted-cocreator-after-twitter-transphobia-row-37393122.html

Seems like an odd waste of police time, investigating dead naming et al.

You're not a woman and you never will be.

Mod-Banned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

TCM wrote: »
    A man who has 'the operation' is a man without a penis and with breasts through the use of medication. That's it. No more no less.

And yet posters on here are claiming that no-one is denying that transsexuals exist?

I don't get it?

Either you accept they exist or you don't?

Who are you referring to specifically?

And yet posters on here are claiming that no-one is denying that transsexuals exist?

I don't get it?

Well you can say a transsexual man exists in the same sense that a enuch exists but you cannot say that a man can convert himself into a woman.

Who are you referring to specifically?

Klaaz.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I don't get it?

Transgender people exist. Literally no one has said otherwise. But they are not the same as a person who is not transgender. They don't magically literally become the opposite sex. Some people are not attracted to a person who has transitioned for various reasons and that's ok. Some people are, that's ok too. Whatever.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    What do you mean "all that entails in it's consequences"? We're not getting into the bonkers "trans women have periods" stuff now are we?

Nope, they do get some symptoms of having estrogen in their bodies just like born females do. You know this so I have no idea why you question it.
    Gravelly wrote: »
    Can you show me any scientific or medical evidence whatsoever that proves that there is no difference between a man who has an operation to become a woman, and an actual woman?

How many men who have transitioned to women have had babies for instance?
    How many have managed to convert their chromosomes to XX?

So a woman who has no uterus is not a woman, that's cleared up then! :(

• Advertisement

Klaaz.

And how do you know what sex Klaaz is?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭mazcon

It really is the new religion, isn't it? We are compelled to believe that material reality changes despite the evidence of our eyes. Unbelievers are to be hunted down and villified. It's not enough to act as if you believe....you must REALLY believe or the trannish inquisition will come after you.

And how do you know what sex Klaaz is?

He's obviously been on the hormones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

So a woman who has no uterus is not a woman, that's cleared up then! :(

Why do you keep making up outlandish statements and attributing them to posters who didn't say them?

Do you think nobody notices? Do you think we can't see your dishonesty?

Are you drunk?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

A transsexual who has had the operation is a woman, suggesting that they're not suggests that they don't exist.

Very simple.

How does that work for people who’s preferred gender pronouns are non-binary? Nobody is denying they exist, they’re saying themselves that they are neither man nor woman.

It’s very simple alright - gender and sex are two completely different concepts. Humans are a biologically dichotomous species - male and female. As regards gender, there can be an infinite number of genders, it still wouldn’t have any impact on biology.

Klaaz.

That's some warped deflection, you're upset that posters who have an opposing view to yours has the medical community as their back up on the subject matter. As you watched Prime Time, have you contacted the clinic and their medical experts who treat trans people to state that your viewpoints on boards supercedes theirs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- Sonic youth is taking a little holiday from AH. Please do not quote him/her as you won't get a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,597 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

For me it’s not just an opinion, it is a fact that a trans woman/man is not and never will be a biological woman/man.
    Do you generally feel a need to say 'there is no God' every time someone mentions Christianity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Do you generally feel a need to say 'there is no God' every time someone mentions Christianity?

I don’t, no.

Obtuse questions don’t detract from biological fact.

Do you generally feel the need to align others’ opinions with your own?

• Advertisement

Dante7 wrote: »
    You're doing your side no favours with this type of comment. This is a perfect example of where there are legitimate concerns. The radical trans folk think lesbians should suck their dicks.

My side? What side would that be?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement