Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calls for Graham Linehan to be removed from Prime Debate on transgender issues!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭billie1b

Yup, I read it from the guardian here. I'm not saying the woman he harassed was right or wrong, but it is a fact that it happened.

Think you mean man he ‘harassed’

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

billie1b wrote: »
    Think you mean man he ‘harassed’

He harassed a man as well :eek:

Graham needs to step away from Twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Cartroubles

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Pedestal?

He is quoting IT Crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,353 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

He is quoting IT Crowd.

That was Petal Stool not Pedal Stool.

No it wasn't. The joke is that she thought pedestal was pedal stool. Petal stool sounds nothing like pedestal.

• Advertisement

Did he write the it crowd too?..awful muck..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Are there really people attacking posters that said they wouldn't want to have sex with a trans woman?

I'm all for live and let live, and that includes allowing people to have their sexual preferences.

There's even a name for this.

The Cotton Ceiling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton_ceiling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Well he's not agreeing with them, so obviously he should be censored. You're either 100% behind the idea that you can choose your own gender at random or you need to be silenced.

Welcome to 2019 folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

The Cotton Ceiling.

Probably won't be too long before the terms homosexual and heterosexual are deemed exclusionary by extreme genderists. Seems to be the way that anything referring to biological sex goes

In my opinion sex and gender are different things. Actually, not in my opinion, they actually are. I'm all for trans people being treated as their chosen gender, but sex is still relevant sometimes and shouldn't be erased.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭mazcon

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Probably won't be too long before the terms homosexual and heterosexual are deemed exclusionary by extreme genderists. Seems to be the way that anything referring to biological sex goes

In my opinion sex and gender are different things. Actually, not in my opinion, they actually are. I'm all for trans people being treated as their chosen gender, but sex is still relevant sometimes and shouldn't be erased.
    Oh we're there already
    https://www.glaad.org/reference/offensive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

unsubscribe...

The Cotton Ceiling.

Jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I could imagine would be even more humiliating for the trans person and could potentially lead to a violent response from the partner. Is it not best to be upfront as soon as the potential for a sexual relationship becomes apparent? That doesn't mean advertising it to all and sundry but surely a potential sexual partner has the right to fully informed consent?

This is a very pertinent point. A male in high passion is not to be meddled with.

If they feel that they've been tricked into sleeping with somebody who has misrepresented themselves as a biological woman then they could very easily become violent. It's happened in the past.

For everyone's well being in cases where it's not outwardly obvious all info should disclosed up front by the TG person

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

This is a very pertinent point. A male in high passion is not to be meddled with.

If they feel that they've been tricked into sleeping with somebody who has misrepresented themselves as a biological woman then they could very easily become violent. It's happened in the past.

For everyone's well being in cases where it's not outwardly obvious all info should disclosed up front by the TG person

It's a two way street, the violent male should disclose up front that he is violent. It'll save the lives of trans and non-trans women. In fact, violent males should not be dating at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

klaaaz wrote: »
    It's a two way street, the violent male should disclose up front that he is violent. It'll save the lives of trans and non-trans women. In fact, violent males should not be dating at all.

Everyone has the potential to be violent and there is something that will trigger that violence for everyone. It’s a lot easier to avoid the situation occurring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Have you ever heard of what you described actually happening? Can't say that I have other than in the world of very cheap fiction.

Most people are decent when in comes down to it and that would include people who happen to be transgender.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Everyone has the potential to be violent and there is something that will trigger that violence for everyone. It’s a lot easier to avoid the situation occurring.

Disagree. Most people do not resort to violence even when triggered, they do abide by the law to seek restitution of their grievance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Gravelly wrote: »
    Faugheen wrote: »
    What does Graham Linehan actually know about the subject though?

He's not trans. He has no experience of being trans and he hasn't anything in the way of research or study into trans issues.

He literally just rants because he doesn't like it. What on Earth does that do for anyone only piss off and add to the stigma that trans people have to endure?

If he studied trans issues academically or experienced what trans people go through, and he had something to back up his rants with, then we'd be having a different conversation.

Having him on wasn't about providing 'balance', it was about getting a contrarian view in a bid to cause a bit of controversy even though he literally has nothing in the way of experience in the issues they face.

I don't have any experience with trans people. I don't know any personally, I don't work with any and I've never studied it. Should I be allowed to be given a platform to rant about why people who rant about it are wrong?

As far as I'm aware, Linehan's only knowledge of the subject is that he has been the victim of a campaign of harassment by "trans activists" - but he is as entitled as anyone else to give his opinion on a subject that is a cause of concern to many. I wasn't the one trying to shut down Linehans, the bould Andrew was - with the claim that he shouldn't be allowed to speak on it because he has no experience (a view you seem to share) - that's just a teeny bit hypocritical when the same Andrew was holding forth on what 4 or 5 year olds know or don't know, when it appears he knows as much about them as I do about Northern Hairy-nosed wombats.
    By that logic, shouldn't RTE should have 4.8mn people on the panel so we can get all of the views on it?

Otherwise, whether he were pro or anti trans, Linehane being on the panel makes about as much sense as having Jamie Redknapp on news shows discussing the impact of Brexit in the financial sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

No it wasn't. The joke is that she thought pedestal was pedal stool. Petal stool sounds nothing like pedestal.
    Ah sure it's all a bit of a damp squid anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

mazcon wrote: »
    Women in their twenties and thirties are routinely refused sterilisation because they're too young and might change their minds but we are to accept that children as young as twelve can make decisions about their future fertility and sexual function?

And men too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Have you ever heard of what you described actually happening? Can't say that I have other than in the world of very cheap fiction.

Most people are decent when in comes down to it and that would include people who happen to be transgender.

Yes, but then in the extraordinary world that you live in you seem to know a considerable number of non-physically-transitioned people who identify as the opposite sex,
    and who manage to serenely navigate the world of dating, which is not often the case with trans people
    and who regale you with such intimate tales of their sexual interaction that illustrate that anyone who is being surprised to find unexpected genitals in their panties does so without as much as batting an eyelid.
    Given that trans-identifying people are a very small percentage of people, given that a lot of them find dating difficult,
    given that it would take quite a degree of arrogant cheek in someone to allow a sexual encounter proceed through the hot and heavy stages of seduction to the point that someone is discovering their unexpected genitals,
    I find it very very, let me it say again VERY unusual that you are in the position of saying, as you have said, ''I've never seen anyone ever get a chip on their shoulder about dating pre op and the limitations it causes.''

I mean, how do you filter your social life to have it include such a statistically significant segment from an unusually small reference group that you can speak with such authority about chips on shoulders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Zorya wrote: »
    I mean, how do you filter your social life to have it include such a statistically significant segment from an unusually small reference group that you can speak with such authority about chips on shoulders?

Apologies for my lack of clarity and poor syntax - what I meant was that I haven't come across a trans woman or man get bitter or angry about not being desired sexually other than in the dregs of twitter and the like. They very much know the face a difficult life trying to find someone.

I don't have a wide social circle consisting of such people but the subject has always interested me. So I've watched the documentaries and followed activists and others on Twitter and the like. I've actually listened to the stories they've shared about the difficulties they've faced and their thoughts on trying to live a normal life....while trying to stay on the right side of not "lying" to people and at the same time trying to protect themselves from hurt.

That's all I base my opinions on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

klaaaz wrote: »
    Disagree. Most people do not resort to violence even when triggered, they do abide by the law to seek restitution of their grievance.

You can disagree all you like but in my opinion there is something out there that will bring violence out of everyone, whether they know it yet or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

seamus wrote: »
    These are slight deviations though. They are people actually pretending to be someone else. There's an intent to deceive. The same intent cannot be said to exist if one person is trans.

Being trans is not the same as being "cis", though. And a lot of straight, non-trans peoples' sexual orientation is specifically only open to sexual activity with non-trans members of the opposite sex. Call it transphobic if you like, but it's a simple fact - a lot of straight people of either gender would be weirded out and feel violated after discovering that a person they just engaged in sexual activity with (or were just about to when this was discovered) was not a "natural born" member of the opposite sex.

In my view, people have a right to have their sexual orientation respected, just as many believe that people have a right to have their gender identity respected. Why should one trump the other? Does a straight person not have the right to be attracted exclusively to members of the opposite sex who were never members of the same sex - and therefore feel sexually violated if they were led to believe this was the case when it wasn't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

I had a dip into Graham Linehan's twitter, and it is extraordinary. It is full of trans activists piling on and posting memes about donkey Kong. They come across as completely unhinged juveniles, but apparently they are the good guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Donkey Kong?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Billy86 wrote: »
    By that logic, shouldn't RTE should have 4.8mn people on the panel so we can get all of the views on it?

Otherwise, whether he were pro or anti trans, Linehane being on the panel makes about as much sense as having Jamie Redknapp on news shows discussing the impact of Brexit in the financial sector.

Liam cunningham has appeared on the late late show several times discussing refugees.

Is cunningham an expert on international migration?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

NIMAN wrote: »
    Donkey Kong?

Yeah. I'm not sure of the exact details, but apparently the activists did some sort of donkey Kong game thing while raising money for the mermaids charity. They now post images or memes about donkey Kong on his twitter. They seem oblivious to the fact that it doesn't exactly help dispel the opinion that a lot of them are just unhinged juveniles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Begbie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's interesting that the likes of Harriet Harmon found themselves in hot water for their loose association with paedo rights groups back in the swinging 60s, I think a lot of our current right-side-of-history brigade are going to find themselves doing some explaining in a few years about what exactly they were supporting

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement