Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

38kWh Ioniq

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Thanks! Really looking forward to getting it. I was meant to be heading up today to give it the final check and drive it home, but there is a delay in getting the second key cut so I might need to put it off for a day or too.

Its not the end of the world, and I wouldn't even know about there only being one key if the dealer didn't say that to me voluntarily (I didn't have it on my list of questions) so I'm happy enough to give them slack on the delay with the key.

My head is melted though, I'm a worrier in general and I thought today was going to be the end of the car buying saga 😅

Went up North to pick up the car yesterday. Cheers for all the advice!

The dealer was in a town just outside of Belfast, 3.5 hours away, so it was a long day!

Drive home was fine, just over 270k home but a good chunk of this was motorway. Drove at the speed limit on whatever road I was on, stopped in Kells and charged for 40 minutes (just under 17kwh according to esb so fairly slowly, the fastest I saw was 25kwh, but that was maybe later in the charge process) and got home with 35 miles to left.

We don't plan to need to fast charge with this car at all usually, so the slower fast charge was something we were aware of and weren't concerned with

Really nice car to drive. All the assists will be a learning curve! The adaptive cruise control is very handy, but will take some getting used to. There is a few times I found myself sitting in the slow lane behind someone going slower because the car slowly changed its speed match I didn't really notice!

The northy spec ioniqs are a little lower than Irish ones, I knew about the cloth seats versus leather but didn't realise it didn't have electric seat adjustment (was slightly disappointed by this cause my wife and I will both use the car a bit)

Booked in for the VRT next week, but hopefully it should be straight forward.

Got bluelink working without any issues. I haven't got android auto to work yet, but I only tried with one cable (although that cable has worked with a cheap after market android auto device)

No charging infrastructure at home yet, but it's coming the week after next. I have a granny charger to tie us over, but I'm not sure how much I trust the socket that's nearest it, so I have the charger set to 6amp instead of 10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

I had loads of issues with Android Auto on my 28kwh Ioniq. Would work for a while, then intermittently no matter what cables I used. Ended up buying an AAwireless dongle which has been flawless, would highly recommend. Can be gotten for about €80 new or I see a second hand one on Adverts for €35, bargain. (Not my ad)

http://www.adverts.ie/33085265

Cheers! That one was on my shortlist of potential ones, so handy to see a second hand one. Will have a think about it!

I actual got the wired one working with a different cable and so far its been completely solid. The cable I was trying to use was the one that came with my one plus phone, I tried a anker USB-A to USB-C cable that I already had it and it's been working great.

Logistically its pretty straight forward to just drop my phone in the wireless charging slot upside down and plug the cable in, but the cable is pretty messy! I used to use my phone to pay for tolls too, which is bit of a faff with the wired AA, so I think I probably will sort a wireless solution.

I have a question regarding servicing for maintaining the warranty as I feel like I might have made a mistake!

My car is 25 months old and has 30k miles on the clock.

It has been serviced twice:

1st @ 12.5k miles after 9 months (Oct 22)

2nd @ 28.5k miles, just under 12 months after the first service (Oct 23)

Looking at the service record book, the maintenance interval are 1 year or 10k miles for EVs ("whichever occurs sooner"), since this wasn't met by the previous owner, does that mean the warranty doesn't apply anymore?

Services were carried out by the main dealer who sold the car originally and sold the car to me. I have printed invoices for them.

A car with 30k miles should have had 3 services according to this, and I'd be fine with getting the 3rd service if it helped the situation, but seems pointless to service if less thank 2k miles later!

We almost certainly won't put 8k miles on it between now and October (the 12 month window)

Edit: under the warranty section "you are not covered if the defects are judged as being caused by the failure to follow the requirements of routine maintenance and service..." I feel like there is at least wiggle room to argue with this wording, they'd have to judge that the issue was a result of not servicing it enough, despite it being serviced and inspected since and not finding this hypothetical issue

Either way, fingers crossed I don't have to find out 😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

Sometimes dealers/ manufacturers offer good will, buy yes if there is a big fault on an old car they may do everything to not fix it. It's important to service the car at the right time and ensure the right things are done as per paper manual.

You could start to fight it in court if it came to it, arguing the lack of service had no impact to the fault that later happened.

I suppose it's hard to know what it says in the manual without having the manual! Maybe something to consider the next time I'm buying a car though!

I'm a bit more comfortable with the situation after reading the wording of the warranty. The first 3 services are essentially Pollen filter changes and inspections, so they would have claim that because the pollen filter wasn't changed and it wasn't inspected another time in-between this cars 1st and 2nd service, this caused whatever problem is in question, which I think is a hard thing to realistically stand behind as what would an earlier inspection reveal that later inspection didn't.

I may try time out my services from here on out to make sure 4th service, which contains the battery coolant being changed is done around the 40k miles mark as that is first non inspection type thing.

Not really anything I can do about it now anyways. No point worrying too much about this hypothetical situation that will hopefully not come to pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Firblog

What make of EV? Must avoid them.

Car successfully VRTd for free this morning (Well other than the tyre recycling fee of €11.20) so kind of ends my car buying saga!

I have been driving it up and down to Galway from Ballinasloe this week for work on the motorway at 120 and it's been perfect. I get to charge for a few hours at work and it completely covers my return trip, so I have already saved the price of a tank of diesel. Judging by my motorway usage, I get about 200-220km out of it. I definitely wouldn't get to Dublin and back without charging, but thats not a typical use case for us anyways, and we still have the second car which is diesel if needed.

I was working it out last night that while I personally don't do a lot of mileage, it looks like the car will do more than I estimated because it will be used by myself or my wife wherever possible as it should be much cheaper to drive if we charge it using the night rate. Still probably only 15k km a year, so not too bad.

To give a rough real world comparison to difference in fuel costs between my old car (a 1.3 diesel astra) and this:

• I used to get roughly 800km out of a 50L tank on the astra, That currently costs about €83
    • Judging by my trip consumption for the week (95% motorway and its not been too warm), rounded up to 17kWh per 100km, it would need 136kWh of power to cover the same distance
      • On the cheapest EV rate of electricity (8c per kW) that would be €11
      • On standard rate of electricity (35c per kW) that would be €47.6

(both these I believe would need to be increased by 10% to allow for charger loss I think)

I'm just going to post this here for info for anyone buying on in the future to give a reference, as I found it useful to see what people were paying in the past. It seems like a good price to me, but it mightn'd have been and I can't do anything about it if it isn't!

I paid €17550 + €11.20 for a 221 Ioniq 38 with 50k km on the clock (so fairly high mileage). I bought it from a main dealer in Northern Ireland (found the car on usedcarsni)

Car is generally in very good shape, the passenger alloy is a bit scratched, there are some scratches on the glove box. It came with both charging cables.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the northern cars a slightly lower spec than Irish reg cars. They can have cloth interior and not have electric seats.

Price comparing to what else is around is quite hard.

Down here, there was not much for similar money. currently there are two 38s under that price on donedeal. Both are 2020s , one of the private one for €17000 is quite high spec, but in theory has two years less warranty (but if you read my posts above who knows if I still have mine either :D). I test drove a 2020 from a indie dealer here that is listed for €23k

There are not many of them up north, only 2 38s at time of posting. The closest one in age to it is a Sep 2021 (so only about 4 months older than mine), is higher spec (or at least has leather seats). This is £14800, £200 less than I paid, but its a UK import so you'd have to pay VAT on it. (And just to note, since I started looking about 2/3 weeks ago, this car was £15,250 or something, but there was evidence that the car was originally listed at £16k, so it clearly hasn't found its floor up north at least)

Post edited by witnessmenow on

About 10 days of ownership in and we have a problem bloody 12v battery died!

Ended up was able to jump it fine, but it picked a bad evening for it!

What is the next step from here with the battery? Do I need to replace it, Test it or will it charge itself off the HV pack?

My wife brought it to do the food shop, The kids were driving me mad, was doing a job that I just finished up and while walking over to my phone (which was on silent) the hall lights start flashing (it was my wife signalling me!) 10 missed calls. She started saying the car was complaining about the breaks and it wouldn't start and the mirrors wouldn't open.

I assumed it was the 12v, I have a portable battery jump start thing that was in Lidl a few weeks ago, but my wife didn't want to attempt it. So had to load the kids up and drive in.

Just as well she didn't cause it didn't work for me. This was after having to empty the boot from the back seat cause apparently you can't open the boot when the 12v is dead? (Is there a way?). I think it wasn't fully charged, but the indicator on it is crap so I thought it was.

Ended up jumping it off our other car , the old reliable diesel with basically no smart nothing. 😅

Nothing was left on in the car afaik, but I changed the licence plates today so I was close to the car for a good while without turning it on, an as far as I saw in videos, the battery consumption increases a good bit when the key is nearby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,861 ✭✭✭Soarer

That sounds **** enough.

The 28 tops up the 12V from the HV. Sometime I come out in the morning with a notification that it's happened overnight. I'd be astonished if they removed that feature.

For the sake of it, I'd shell out for a new 12V. It sucks, but I'd think a Halford's own brand battery would have a 5 year warranty (haven't checked).

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

My 12v died last winter, it was replaced free under warranty, I think the 12v issue is known for these cars. It started up fine with a jump from a noco battery pack before the dealer replaced it. The 38 has the flashing light to say it’s topping up the 12v too, whether it’s working or not who knows.

Another well known issue (from online forums at least) is the refill coolant warning appearing on the dash, even if it appears not to be low. I had it almost every time i started the car for a while, dealer did some coolant replacement which was under recall. This has largely fixed the problem, but I still get that warning occasionally. Just worth noting and making sure that recall is done if you bring it in to a dealer.

Just watching some videos this morning and someone mentioned about that when one of the blue charging status lights comes on the car is charging the 12v, that definitely happened yesterday while I was working, cause I was wondering what if was.

I think I'll contact Hyundai dealer and see what they say about servicing/updating etc.

Aparently its still there, I believe even in an software update they made it non optional to have on (it's greyed out for me). And I definitely saw it on while I was working, prior to me doing the licence plate.

I saw last night people saying that there is a battery Halfords sell that is an exact size replacement, I do live in the sticks so no Halfords near me, but my wife is passing one this week on her travels so I might get her to pick one up. For the sake of €100, it might give some peace of mind!

Edit Removed the link as it's not the exact model that was being suggested: yuasa ybx 5056

My wife is a big fan of turning on the climate before getting in the car, it seems like that possible runs on the 12v when the car is not running or not charging. Charger is getting installed today so it will be a lot easier to leave it plugged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kavs

On a change of topic, 2 year owner from new (221 model), great car and extremely efficient for driving I do, 99% B-road driving (100km/h max) and charge at home on night rate.

Est. savings per year vs. 2.0 VW diesel = €1,500. (Travel about 13,500kms per year. )

No major issue so far but rang dealer today to book in for 2nd service and was told it needs brake fluid change and pollen filter change, battery check etc. Price quoted was €360 which I think is very rich, surely wont take more than 1-2 hours labour with parts costs being minimal. Am I wrong or is this price reasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

As another poster mentioned, definitely get a replacement 12V battery and one of those booster things to keep in the glove box. The 12V may have already been bad when you got it. They appear to have sorted the 12V issues so I would check with the dealer that you have all the latest software installed. There was a more recent update as I think Hyundai suspected the SOS system (the red button you see just above your rear view mirror) may have been a culprit in draining the 12V, you cannot update this yourself it needs to go to the dealer. Also make sure you have the coolant recall done - all these will be done free of charge.

The car tops off the 12V multiple times per day automatically (you'll see a single blinking while it's doing it). One thing you could try turning off is the setting where the car detects the key when you come close to it and it extends the mirrors even if you're not unlocking it - it's called Welcome setting or something in the menu, anyway it's completely pointless and contributes to draining of 12V battery so I'd turn that off.

The heating and climate control do not use the 12V when the car is off so don't worry about that. Sorry to hear you've had these initial issues, the 12V thing is a right pain the you-know-what but it seems loads of Hyundai models were suffering from it so it's not isolated to the Ioniq38 or your car, the dealers are more than aware of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Buy the pollen filter online and change it yourself. It's a 5 minute DIY jobbie.

Connolly Galway said to me today that my next service would be €450 and just mentioned the same stuff in voicemail they left. If I put my old reg in the Hyundai UK website and they quote my next service as £65! Might take a day trip 😅

Now in fairness, He said the service is due at the year after the last service or 60k, which would make it the same as the 40k miles service, which Hyundai UK charge £500 for, but the dealer mentioned that's when they changed the battery coolant.

Do I need to have the "coolant low" message to avail of the coolant recall? I have the print outs of the two previous services from the Hyundai dealer and there is no mention of this being done.

Both me and my wife have seen that light a good few times this week so I think the 12v needs to go!

Neither of the motor factors in town had a 12v 056 battery, both were trying to sell my wife a 054, which I understand is essentially the same but doesn't have the foot for the clamp to hold it down. My wife is passing near a Halfords this week so I'll get her to pick one up as they have one (although their car checker says it doesn't fit my car, but does fit the 28kWh)

Too right, reckon that should knock €50-€60 quid off the quoted price, queue youtube search for ioniq cabin filter change!

Ya I'm dreading the coolant replacement service as I believe they massively overcharge for their 'Special' coolant. Sure the labour might be 2-3 hours but jeez I think they are charging €500+ for the honour. Luckily my car was produced just after they implemented the different coolant (B2 I believe) so I'm not affected by that recall campaign.

I plan to hold onto the car for another 2 years, it still drives like new and has all the creature comforts you could need. Efficiency on my drive today was excellent, 10.56kWh/100km and that was driving normally and keeping up with traffic. Outstanding efficiency and will easily see 320km per full charge coming into the warmer months (@ €0.145/kWh that's about €5 for 300km roughly.)

That's great! I need to buy my wife a jumper cause the climate control is skewing our stats a bit (8%) and electronic devices is high too (22%), The kids do like having basically a disco from android auto, I wonder if that's what is causing that large usage (or maybe the big battery trying to keep my crappy 12v alive), but even still she was getting just under 14kWh/100, while not even close compared to yours, is still going to be huge price saved compared to diesel

To be fair, 13-14kWh/100km would be fairly normal for me too during the colder days if I had heating turned on and heated seat running, its still excellent economy though when compared to the larger SUV type EV's. Damn shame they discontinued this model, would have loved to have seen if they could have squeezed a 48kWh battery in a newer model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CivilEx

That efficiency of 10.56kWh/100km is fantastic. I'm in an Ioniq 6 and the best I see is about 13.9kWh/100km, but typically closer to 16 atm. Whatever the secret sauce is in the Ioniq 38, it doesn't seem to have been fully carried through to current models!

Couple of factors I think to explain the figure:

• B-Road driving ( <100km/h), excellent regen system in the car, brake pads get little to no use!
    • Fantastic Aero design, very low drag co-efficient: 0.24Cd (Tesla 3 is only marginally better @0.23Cd).
    • 16" wheels, find them comfortable and well suited to the car, 100kW motor driving front wheels so well matched.
    • Relatively 'small & light' battery pack @38kWh, weight is the enemy of range.
    • Driving style, if you are jamming on the brakes all the time you're doing it wrong! Engage adaptive cruise control, put on your favorite podcast and let the car do the hard work, its the ideal commuter car!

Test drove the ioniq 6 a few months back, very nice car, enjoy! Too easy to plant the foot and release the full power of the motor though! Hyundai really make excellent electric drivetrains.

• Forgot to add it came equipped with Heat Pump as standard.

Replaced the 12v today with one from Halfords.

https://www.halfords.ie/motoring/batteries/car-batteries/yuasa-hsb056-silver-12v-car-battery-5-year-guarantee-173975.html

Perfect sized replacement, (with the included terminal adaptors), 5 minute job. I had to tell them I had a 27kWh ioniq to be able to proceed to the checkout online. But the 27kWh and the 38kWh have the same stock battery so was confident it would fit.

Haven't actually had any issues with the old one since, but I just didn't trust it anymore. Everytime I saw the blue flashing light I felt like it was inevitable it was going to happen again!

I probably would have left it for while if I could have sourced one locally, but as mentioned earlier, the two motor factors in town didn't have the right fit, and it was very convenient for my wife to pick it up today so we just said we'd go for it.

Hopefully some stress free motoring for the next while now!

I'm having a small issue with the bluetooth, wondering if anyone has had similar and got a solution for it.

When driving the car I use wired Android Auto all the time, I believe this also uses bluetooth. I just plug it in and it works

When I'm working from home and my wife drives the car, when she turns on the car or pulls into the drive way, my phone automatically connects to the Ioniq, It defintely stops the audio on my heaphones and probably starts playing it on the ioniq (not sure on that)

I'm happy with how Android Auto works, but is there anything I can do to stop the car automatically connecting to my phone when im not in it?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I changed the bluetooth connection for Ioniq in my phone settings so it didnt use media audio and only used phone call/contacts. So it might still connect but wont interrupt if I'm listening to anything on my headphones. This didnt seem to affect android auto functionality on me.

It's the 28kwh car I have btw but I'd imagine it's the same.

This seemed to work while still maintaining the android auto function, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

Put up a photo of radio software version and we can tell you if it's the latest. Dealers don't like to update them. This can help with 12 volt issues.

Learn how to unlock drivers door with emergency key (videos on YouTube) in case car is totally dead. Learn or teach any driver how to use jump pack and recharge jump pack every 6 months even if never used.

Seems like it was updated a few weeks ago and the software version presumably has a date at the end of it stating its from the 2nd of November 23, So i guess its up to date.

I find it crazy the Navigation updater tool doesn't have a place to put in your current version and say your up to date, I'm currently downloading a 30gb file to see if it reveals any clues after that step :D

• Advertisement

I've had an issue where bluelink hasn't worked since Saturday, despite showing on the radio that it has signal.

From looking online, it seems it's a common issue and the fix is to reset the radio (doesn't impact any saved settings)

It did work for me, you just need a paper clip or something pokey. Screen will go black and it will boot up again in a few seconds

Advertisement