Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

38kWh Ioniq

Options

Comments

I've seen some comments here saying they are getting closer to 280kms on a full charge, does that sound right? 200kms seems low compared to anything else I've seen.

At the price point I don't see anything else with the same space that I'd need, the Kona are awfully small for boot space.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭eagerv

Depends very much upon your driving style and temperature etc.

The missus had a 28kWh for two years and regularly did a 150km trip, usually had between 30 and 70 kms remaining indicated. She is a smooth driver, but doesn't hang around. This trip was roughly half motorway and half slower roads.

You can work out pro rata with the 38kWh battery, I presume efficiency is similar with the two cars.

One thing to check with the 38kWh Ioniq is the front seats, if you are tall they don't lower as far as the 28.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

ive got the 38kwh ,im 6 foot 2 and ive got plenty of room while driving ,i dont feel cramped or that im seated too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭eagerv

That's good to hear, it is just something I remember from some of the 'Journalists' re the battery in the 38kWh under the front seats. I am a little less tall than you and the seating position was also fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭zg3409

Above is from EV database. Range is very much impacted by vehicle speed and temperature, so in deep winter range drops, at high speed motorway driving range drops.

On long trips most people would be typically on motorways and high speed. Above estimates are at a max speed of 110km/h. I prefer to travel at 120km/h.

If you drive at low speed in summer you can get much further. I would say 200km range is a good base range to consider before buying, and is realistic say in January with motorway high speed trip. Summer you get more but if you regularly travel round trips more than 200km then you may need to public charge. Public chargers can be busy at peak times so get the right car for your needs. Many people cannot afford an EV that suits their needs, and EVs with smaller batteries are more suited to second cars and commutes within their range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭All in all

I drive on national roads and get 320km in summer and 260km in winter. I weekly do a 230km trip and have never had to charge mid trip in any weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Orebro

Gotta be the most underrated EV around. Probably still the most efficient EV on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Can I ask you what kind of speed you would be averaging to get that sort of range?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

What is a decent price for a 20/21?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

Depends on kms driven on the car and if there's any scratches etc, just the general condition of the car, I'd guess at around 20k euros for a 202 reg with reasonably low kms

• Advertisement

National roads so would be traveling 80-100 kph

• Registered Users Posts: 7 andron

I have 202 and I face an issue sometimes the radio goes silent and shows "Feature is not available at the moment" while driving. If I switch to Apple Music it works fine. Has anyone ever faced it?

Make sure your software is up to date, you can update it yourself with a USB key: https://update.hyundai.com/US/EN/updateGuide

• Registered Users Posts: 7 andron

I will give it a try; thank you! Honestly, I got confused by the word "Navigation" - I thought it was just a maps update, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭obi604

Would a fully charged Ioniq 38 make it from Galway to Waterford via Limerick on ONE charge

225km trip.

100km motorway. 120km speed mainly.

and then 125km of national roads.

Yes and no. Depending on the time of year. Ideally look at actual consumption while driving (not the guessed range).

if you can get better than 17kW/100km consumption then you will make it.

If temperature drops below 5 degrees, if there are head winds, if there is rain, you may need to drop top speed to 100km/h. A slight drop in speed will make a massive difference. If I was driving that route regularly I would get a car with a 60+ kWh battery to have extra safety margin and to allow for roadworks, delays , headwinds etc.

In summer you should be ok, and even spring and autumn. Ideally preheat car in home charger before leaving and charge just before heading off so battery is a bit warm.

Post edited by zg3409 on

In spring/summer/autumn it will be no problem.

As temperatures drop you would need to drive at 100-110kmh on motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Looking at potentially to pick up an import ioniq 38 this week, it will be my first Ev so wish me luck!

We were in-between a leaf and an ioniq, leaf has a bigger boot which would be a plus for us, but the ioniq higher spec and features won the day. We still have an ice estate for the boot if we need it

As far as I've read, the warranty should carry over but just wondering if anyone has gone through any warranty process with an import and was there any issues?

Is there anything I need to prove the warranty? (like proof of a yearly service or something)

Anything imparticular I should look out for when checking out the car?

Thanks!

What type of price are you paying and what year? Interested in either this if going full EV later this year

I had recalls performed here for free on a UK imported ioniq. I sent an email to Hyundai Ireland with vin and reg and asked was there any open recalls.

Beware Hyundai in general are not great on warranty claims, they tend to try fob you off. They may be less helpful on cars they did not sell themselves.

Check what the warranty was in the UK when the car was sold, different years may have had different warranty lengths.

Post edited by zg3409 on

• Advertisement

The prices seem absolutely all over the place at the moment, so its hard to get a good reference point. There is a 2020 Ioniq in Nallys Hyundai Ballymahon, that was renewed yesterday, for over €30k

I've put a refundable deposit on a 2022 Ioniq from a Hyundai dealer with 32k miles, price is £15k (Just under €18k). Confirmed its a NI car so should be VAT free to bring in and EVs of this age/value don't require VRT either, so €18k is what it should cost landed. (I've put the details into the revenue website and it confirmed, although til its on Irish plates, I'll be worrying I messed up!)

The cheapest 2022 on donedeal is €25k, it does have lower milage though, but over €7k difference. It seems good value to me, but who knows what the actual price it should be.

We are not heavy users of the car so the higher mileage will probably balance its self out after a few years. We were also happy to go newer, even with higher milage to get the extra warranty on the battery and car.

So far the sales guy seems to be sound to deal with, rang him this morning and he answered all of my questions, When I asked about any damage he said in general its very clean but the front passenger alloy is scuffed. He said he'd send on a video of the car and showed the scuff, its fairly scratched alright buy im not overly worried about, I wont feel bad when I eventually do the same :D

He also showed some scratches on the inside of one of the back door wells where the door was closed on the belt, again nothing I'm bothered about.

He did mention in the video, and it was something I forgot to ask/check, that it only has one key. This was a deal breaker for us cause I'll be sharing the car with my wife and it looks like it costs a fair bit to get a new one (€500+ kind of money). When I said this to the sales guy he said they'd sort out a new one before we come up.

So just waiting to hear when the key will be sorted and waiting for money I'm transferring to revolut to come through. We are using revolut to convert the euro to sterling (using revolut premium so there is no 1% fee over 1000) and then paying for the car via card apparently (garage was ok with and rev apparently has no transaction limit)

So when thats sorted we'll take the long drive up (3 hours) check the car out and hopefully drive home with 2 cars. Will be our first EV so a bit of a baptisim of fire that our first journey will be from Belfast to Ballinasloe. I checked out ABRP and it suggested stopping in Kells on the way home, so we'll probably do that (avoid some tolls too)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

I brought my still in warranty Hyundai to the local dealership recently looking to get some warranty work done.

They wouldn't do anything until I could provide invoices to show them that I had it fully serviced in line with their requirements.

I got the feeling that they'd use every excuse under the sun to fob me off so I'd never come back.

If you end up getting the car in Belfast make sure they charge it to 100% before you collect it.

Make sure you have all the apps that you need for charging and try to choose a charging site with more than one charger.

Also have a backup charge site or two sorted out just incase there are any problems.

Did you just look at dealers in NI or done deal? So with EV as long as the car was registered there there’s no VRT that’s a game changer

I was looking on Donedeal for down here and UsedcarsNI for up north.

Not an expert by any stretch, just repeating what I learnt from here.

If the car is a NI reg, is older than 6 months old and has certain amount of milage (6k KM) and has a Open Market selling price of less than €40k, then its VAT and VRT free. The OMSP is not something you get to decide, Revenue estimated the car I was buying was worth €35k or something. You can tell a NI reg by the it having 3 letters at the start.

UK reg cars need to have been in NI since 2021 and apparently you will need to prove it somehow.

Some more info about it here: https://www.ncts.ie/1209/

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭turnfan

I drove the 28kwh from Belfast to near Tuam as my first drive, so you'll be grand! just take it easy and enjoy. One small charge along the way will see you home.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Qboot

Does anyone know if your dealer can check the battery's SoH for degradation as part of the regular servicing?

I am approaching a mileage of 65k (done in 22 months), so I am wondering if the amount of charging (primarily up to 100% AC) over this period would affect the battery in any noticeable way. Can dealers do it? And if not, is there any way you can do it yourself?

In theory yes but most will claim it's "ok". Best to use an app on the phone yourself called evnotify and an odb dongle (konweii is what I use). The answer will probably be 100% until at least 100,000km, so may not be worth the effort.

It's a full European warranty so it's covered here same as any other Hyundai. I had a couple of recalls done on mine and zero issues with the dealer - you have no worries on that front.

Excellent super efficient EV that's a pleasure to drive, you'll love it.

Looking through forums, the SoH that can be read through the dongles doesn't seem to be an exact science. That it can fluctuate up or down based on how it's been used or charged recently. I've no experience with it though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Valentin_N

I have viewed several Kona 64 kWh (which share the same battery architecture as Ioniq 38 kWh) and I used an OBD II device to read parameters including the SoH. I have not encountered any that showed 100%, even ones with mileage as low as 60,000 km. All but one had the HV battery replaced, but all showed a SoH decrease, ranging from 98.4% to 91.8%. The lowest one had a replaced HV battery, while the one with the original HV battery was at 96.8%.

I have read various opinions stating that the SoH number presented over OBD II is based on the cell voltage balance, rather than a measure of the remaining capacity. I for one would look at:

• The ratio between AC and DCFC charges: look for low to no DCFC, as slow charges are less demanding (lower C charge)
    • Average rate of discharge, which can be computed by dividing Cumulative Energy Discharged (kWh) by the mileage of the current HV battery. Average for Kona would be around 160 Wh/km.

Advertisement