Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The war on meat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Give up meat? Not in this lifetime. If people dont wanna eat meat? More for me then! Muhahaha!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

Got all my b12 vitamins from a lovely fry vegans find it very hard to get b12.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

123balltv wrote: »
    Got all my b12 vitamins from a lovely fry vegans find it very hard to get b12.

..and coronary heart disease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: After trawling through the mess that was last nights musings from you, I'll only make this point once.

If you think you're going to attack other posters here, you're wrong. Discuss the issue, any messing around with others posting history will get a thread ban. This thread can continue without that messing.

This is a warning to both sides, cop on to yourselves!

Buford T. Justice

A woman making some very good points on the Marian Finucane programme right now about that report. She's advocating a 'flexitarian diet' - a description which should max out the outrage levels of many in this thread! - which doesn't cut out meat from diet but 'skews it in favour of a plant-based diet'.

Unfortunately she says that in terms of progressiveness pasture farming in Ireland puts us 'ahead of the curve' in Europe so some of our overlydefensive-about-the-meat-industry posters can't get too outraged at her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Here's the woman behind the report who hired 37 so called experts nameless of course to come up with that car crash study while she swans around the world in her private jet :rolleyes: BTW when she was asked to comment on her hypocrisy she declined.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/globe-trotting-billionaire-behind-campaign-13872067?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

gozunda wrote: »
    Make more sense tbh if we first cut back on our use of fossil fuels and non essential transport. These are the single biggest sectors in relation to green house gases globally.

Meat really is carbon heavy. There’s the diesel Lorry used to take animals from farm to slaughterhouse and then the electric stunner used to fry said animal prior to killing.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Even if global warming is inevitable the good news is: The Irish weather can't get much worse, countries who will get oven hot and bone dry do very little to nothing to prevent global warming, why a small wet and cold country would worry much about it.

You missed the sarcasm

So did you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    Even if global warming is inevitable the good news is: The Irish weather can't get much worse, countries who will get oven hot and bone dry do very little to nothing to prevent global warming, why a small wet and cold country would worry much about it.

Plus the anti immigration crew better get their heads around the mass Exodus of those whose countries will simply become uninhabitable in the coming years. They ll all be coming west.

• Advertisement

That's the thing though, it can. We're at the same latitude as Newfoundland but have a much milder climate due to the gulf stream. If that were to shut down or grow a lot weaker, we would be faced with much colder and snow covered winter's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

It’s also interesting that they’re saying the western diet is not sustainable to support a population of 10 billion people when populations are generally declining or stabilising in western countries. Does that mean we’re responsible for feeding other parts of the world? Are they trying to suggest that Indians have a similar diet to westerners?

It does concern me a bit that we are looking to expand our export of meat and dairy products and the demand for our produce is very high and growing. That concerns me because wealthy people in emerging economic powerhouses are prepared and capable of paying a lot more for Irish meat than we are. I think because of this and the sheer demand we will soon be looking at much more expensive meat with reduced quality.

The cost of butter/eggs doubled in Poland as they started selling more to Germany.

I was vegetarian for many years and I love swapping beans for traditional protein, but this sudden push of vegetarian diets is kind of creepy. Like going back to hundreds of years where only the rich could afford meat as a common meal.

Except now they will also have organic produce and the poor will have low quality vegetables :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 217 ✭✭Cockford Ollie

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Here's the woman behind the report who hired 37 so called experts nameless of course to come up with that car crash study while she swans around the world in her private jet :rolleyes: BTW when she was asked to comment on her hypocrisy she declined.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/globe-trotting-billionaire-behind-campaign-13872067?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

No surprise that it's fake news.

She's been labelled a billionaire, to be fair it's her husband who's a billionaire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

In reality, we should be buying our milk, cheese, meat and eggs from the local farmer and local co-op
    It'd be much better for the planet

But for some reason big business has decided that's not the best way to make profits

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Fücking cünts. Compared to them my carbon footprint is like an ant to an elephant.

These are the kind of fückers ruining the earth. Not me. All they are trying to do is consume as much of the earths resources as they can whilst telling me I need to cut back lol. Fücking vampires. That’s all they are. Makes me so fücking mad. :mad:

A pox on them and their kind.

That's the thing though, it can. We're at the same latitude as Newfoundland but have a much milder climate due to the gulf stream. If that were to shut down or grow a lot weaker, we would be faced with much colder and snow covered winter's.
    Correct and sunny dry summers suitable to grow many fruits and crops

No surprise that it's fake news.

She's been labelled a billionaire, to be fair it's her husband who's a billionaire.

So that makes it fake news, keep up the good work Sherlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭emaherx

470836.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Correct and sunny dry summers suitable to grow many fruits and crops

The prediction afaik is for more wet and windy weather and general drop in temperatures across the summer months - not great for anyone tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Just read that link. Got as far as Bob Geldof's name being mentioned as one of her cronies and then I realised what's at play.
    All that's missing now is Mary Robinson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,730 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This country has become obsessed with aping all these "trending" notions ..it's gone from just ridiculous to scary at how easily led and influenced the Irish seem to be in our long-standing need for validation and approval.

FFS.. Leo Varadkar's diet is headline news? I know he's a big part of the problem with his obsession with his personal profile and media, but does the supposed leader of the country not have better stuff to be doing, or people to be asking him about?

I for one won't be giving up my weekly intake of chicken, beef or others. FFS this is a small insignificant rock on the edge of Europe with a national population less than most major cities! Come back to me when the likes of China, the US, Russia or Germany go vegan :rolleyes:

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Just read that link. Got as far as Bob Geldof's name being mentioned as one of her cronies and then I realised what's at play.
    All that's missing now is Mary Robinson.
    In fairness to the report...
    The authors recommend that if meat and dairy become luxury products, production should be confined to pasture-based systems with arable land focused on growing plant-based food instead of providing grain for feedlot-type systems.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/eat-lancet-reports-shows-importance-of-irish-farms-in-global-climate-battle-434422

gozunda wrote: »
    The prediction afaik is for more wet and windy weather and general drop in temperatures across the summer months - not great for anyone tbh
    They say whatever you hate to scare you, it doesn't make any sense to me how global warming will give us cold summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    This country has become obsessed with aping all these "trending" notions ..it's gone from just ridiculous to scary at how easily led and influenced the Irish seem to be in our long-standing need for validation and approval.

FFS.. Leo Varadkar's diet is headline news? I know he's a big part of the problem with his obsession with his personal profile and media, but does the supposed leader of the country not have better stuff to be doing, or people to be asking him about?

I for one won't be giving up my weekly intake of chicken, beef or others. FFS this is a small insignificant rock on the edge of Europe with a national population less than most major cities! Come back to me when the likes of China, the US, Russia or Germany go vegan :rolleyes:

Lol, Germany won't be giving up the Currywurst anytime soon. Central and Eastern Europe love their meat too not to mention the Italians. Wonder are they flagellating themselves over their meat consumption, I ****ing doubt it.

mad muffin wrote: »
    Fücking cünts. Compared to them my carbon footprint is like an ant to an elephant.

These are the kind of fückers ruining the earth. Not me. All they are trying to do is consume as much of the earths resources as they can whilst telling me I need to cut back lol. Fücking vampires. That’s all they are. Makes me so fücking mad. :mad:

A pox on them and their kind.
    Those guys say something and do another
    This afternoon I planted two trees, tomorrow I have few more to plant, I do care about the environment, I hate hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I don't find it logical.

So there is not going to be enough land to feed the world population with meat = stop eating meat.

Surely the answer is the worlds population is too big.

This is normally countered with "so what are you going to do, kill people", but what happens when the population is too big to be fed with veg only, what do you do then ?

I don't have answer but I think the logical conclusion is there are too many people on little ole earth.

SB

• Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It has to be said, people have to stop breeding like rabbits.
    It won't end well otherwise.

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    I don't find it logical.

So there is not going to be enough land to feed the world population with meat = stop eating meat.

Surely the answer is the worlds population is too big.

This is normally countered with "so what are you going to do, kill people", but what happens when the population is too big to be fed with veg only, what do you do then ?

I don't have answer but I think the logical conclusion is there are too many people on little ole earth.

SB
    Remember what happened the last time we depended on plants for food, that didn't work out too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

They say whatever you hate to scare you, it doesn't make any sense to me how global warming will give us cold summer.

Referred to now as 'climate change' . Afaik the logic is that the heating up of the globe causes local weather systems to go haywire ....

• Advertisement

Sure we'll be able to feed the world then at a half a meat ball per person per day.

Advertisement