Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The war on meat

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

gozunda wrote: »

It is your efforts to depict all farmers negatively which comes across as deranged.

Show me the best example of me doing this ? one which makes me look deranged

Indeed, if anybody were to even try it, the stick would be removed from them and used on them instead.

I honestly do a 5 sec's search (cattle/mart/hitting) and get a thread titled "cattle marts"

Opening post
    Just wondering what other peoples thoughts are on those big thick pig ignorant men who work in cattle marts and the way they beat the animals with sticks, I mean they're not just driving them on but absolutely flailing the poor cattle across the back, head ,eyes , anywhere they can reach them so of course the terrified cattle go wild so they wallop them even more.Saw one jackass this evening with the sweat running of him from hammering a weanling who wouldn't go into a pen for him. I know these people should be reported but who to and more to the point does anyone (apart from the farmer who reared and cared for these animals ) give a damn. Sorry for long rant but it's something that really annoys me

2nd post
    my uncle is a farmer and i have been on occasion visited a mart , the mart staff have no choice but to beat the cattle , those cattle are not people friendly , there reared by there mother ( suckled ) and not used to much human interaction apart from when there being brought to the mart ,
    also , cattle are pretty stupid animals so the only thing they understand is force , compared to most animals , cattle have a pretty good life , there well fed for the most part and most of them die in a painless manner when there eventually shot at the meat factory

3rd post
    does anyone ......give a damn.
    Unfortunately no!

4th post
    Usually the mart workers will not use too much force unless it is necessary. Why would they. It would only create extra work and hassle for themselves. Generally, wild cattle have to be kept moving and not have time to think otherwise it can become dangerous for the handle

5th post

I go to the mart every week plus I work with "wild cattle" every day and I can tell you the way the cattle are beaten is way over the top. I have to say not all the workers are like this just some in particular and any of you who think I am exaggerating really should spend a day in your local mart

6th post

I use Macroom and have to say the staff are A1.Right they use sticks but not like you describe.there are 100s of cattle to get through in a few hours and I take my hat off to them for a job most people would look down their noses at.

7th post
    That's good fastrac and I do know its not the norm everywhere but it happens all the time in this Co. Meath mart especially the bullock ring .By the way I have no objection to them using sticks to drive or stop the cattle ,hell I use one myself- they're essential, it's when you see a 6'6" 25 stone jackass (amongst others) use his whole strength to hammer a calf, that's what I'm on about.

8th post

im frequently in marts and i am usually infuriated by some of the handlers
    they beat the animals to hard

it is clear that cattle are under enouf stress as it is after being moved from surroundings that are normal to them to then be moved into a enviroment that is busseling with people and normally quite noisy.
    the way that calves are handled annoys me the most.
    last week there was a calf that was no older than a week lying in a wet pen and she looked half dead. if people were half humane they would let these animals have at least a clean dry pen. needles to say she was unsold.

a previous comment said about the 'stupid' cattle but i would like to inform them that they still get ill feel pain and althought an animals death mite be humane the conditions that alot of farmers put them through before they get there arnt humane!!!!

but i must admit that a stick is part of a farmers every day kit especially with the wilder selection of cattle and that although you do have the brutes in the mart most of them arnt like that and fair play to them for keeping the string of cattle moving my motto is kindness is key!

Conversation then goes off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

There's a football club in the English 4th tier called Forest Green Rovers. The club was taken over about 6 yrs ago by a militant vegan who promptly banned all sale of meat and dairy products in the ground. Players were also put on a strict vegan diet.

This is the type of anti meat activist people despise. I don't care about his own personal lifestyle choices but he has no right to inflict them on others. It's not right to take away choice from people, we all have free will. I'm not going to force a burger down a vegan's throat and likewise they shouldn't push their nosh on me.

Naturally enough the fans just ignore this muppet and bring their own grub to the match. Visiting teams leave as soon as the game is over and stop to feed at an ating house down the road. They don't avail of the club's restrictive catering.

All this is doing is alienating Forest Green from the rest of the League clubs and supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Ok we've established you can copy and paste. Exactly what has alleged mishandling of stock at MARTS - dates unknown? (reported mainly by farmers as far as I can see) got to do with your assertion that ..
    You said
    Do people ever wounder how the farmer and truck driver get to wild animals up the steep ramp of the truck for transportation.Here's a clue - go to the front off the truck you'll probably see a few black pipes on the dash

And now you're talking about Marts and their employees!
    Show me the best example of me doing this ? one which makes me look deranged
    I honestly do a 5 sec's search (cattle/mart/hitting) and get a thread titled "cattle marts"Opening post...

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick there again tbh. It's your own comments attempting to make out farmers etc - which are deranged and which was called out and which you have willfully misunderstood for a second time. Not sure why tbh.

Personally I cant answer for marts or their employees but you will be happy to learn that some marts have now adopted new approved 'paddles' in place of a drovers stick for directing and moving livestock.

Research has shown that animals react better to the paddles than a drovers stick because the animal will turn and move quicker at the sight of a larger paddle than a narrow stick.

In addition recent legislation has been introduced to regulate livestock marts and includes the banning the use of drovers sticks with young stock.

That's it really.

A good stock man may well have a drovers stick to move and direct animals. He does not use it to beat cattle. Are there some bad eggs? Yes I'm sure there are. Fortunately I dont know any who use sticks as you suggest.

Now will you answer the question I have asked as to "who forced who to lie in this thread?

Now will you answer the question I have asked as to "who forced who to lie in this thread?

You have now introduced 2 new words "drovers stick" and "paddle" in a shameless attempt at obfuscation. Because you this "no stick" stuff is just complete nonsense.
    To answer your question
    Me(qwerty ui op) I forced you(gozunda) to lie.

This is an egregious lie you said in your last post "Fortunately I dont know any who use sticks as you suggest."

You gozunda are a liar!

You have now introduced 2 new words "drovers stick" and "paddle" in a shameless attempt at obfuscation. Because you this "no stick" stuff is just complete nonsense. To answer your question
    Me(qwerty ui op) I forced you(gozunda) to lie.
    This is an egregious lie you said in your last post "Fortunately I dont know any who use sticks as you suggest." You gozunda are a liar!

That's a nasty little comment eh?

Lol btw you're the one who brought up topic of Marts in your previous comment. And yes some Marts are using paddles and also more correctly a (drovers) stick. Funny that you with so much farming experience and not knowing that lol.

And I clearly did not say "no stick" I said
    A good stock man may well have a drovers stick to move and direct animals. He does not use it to beat cattle. 

I can only answer for myself and those I know. I dont make sweeping generalisations about some farmers as you have. So unless you know me that makes your comments lies and a con by attempting to paint everyone with the same stick so to speak ;)

You obviously must like word games with words "egregious" and "obfuscation" "and "liar" - words you seem very comfortable with tbh.

As stated previously your comments are absolute hyperbole and nonsense and make no sense whatsoever. But there you are ...

I dont play silly word games. Thanks all the same

Quick question. As someone clearly involved in farming - how do you manage your livestock when moving them. Do you carry a stick to help you or do you beat your own animals?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Ted Johnson

Im about to go cook some pork chilli.

Be careful - anytime someone mentions what they are eating - qwerty goes off the deep end. You've been warned :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Last day of the season today and I bagged a nice pair of Sika, my war on meat is over for a while.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Be careful - anytime someone mentions what they are eating - qwerty goes off the deep end. You've been warned :pac:

Probably did not like my reconstruction of the Gordon Ramsay burger then which was very meat heavy and absorbed an entire stick of butter during the cooking process.

Ramsay foolishly recommends letting it stand after cooking so the juices congeal and do not squirt all over the place when you bite. But screw that! I _want_ the blood and butter to squirt when I make that first bite. Its half the experience!

Give me a bib and I am good! None of that letting the meal go cold for me. Hot and juicy every time.

Probably did not like my reconstruction of the Gordon Ramsay burger then which was very meat heavy and absorbed an entire stick of butter during the cooking process.

Ramsay foolishly recommends letting it stand after cooking so the juices congeal and do not squirt all over the place when you bite. But screw that! I _want_ the blood and butter to squirt when I make that first bite. Its half the experience!

Give me a bib and I am good! None of that letting the meal go cold for me. Hot and juicy every time.

Sorry you're making me hungry now lol
    Recipe / link pls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

trying to eat liver at least once a week, genuine super food and much more nutritious than flesh meat. Basically make a stir fry with a portion of diced chicken added in and other stir fry ingredients. Very tasty and liver is even lower calorie than chicken

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Recipe / link pls

This video here.

https://youtu.be/U9DyHthJ6LA?t=482

Start at 8:03 for the burger.

Last day of the season today and I bagged a nice pair of Sika, my war on meat is over for a while.

Recipe / link pls
    silverharp wrote: »
    trying to eat liver at least once a week, genuine super food and much more nutritious than flesh meat. Basically make a stir fry with a portion of diced chicken added in and other stir fry ingredients. Very tasty and liver is even lower calorie than chicken

Having stayed away for a few days the "tasty tasty burger" gang are back with a bang!

Now i'd like to point out, if you look back over the thread you'll see the last time the "tasty tasty burger" gang were doing their thing, it wasn't me! but them who were getting more and more upset and eventually told me to f off.

So I hope you've grown and are able keep your emotions in check this time round.
    I'm not a farmer nor a vegan, I'm only looking for the truth about the actual life of a farm animal.
    I don't have time now but later on I hope we can have a discussion and explore the issues in getting the above foods onto your plate.

So when I'm back i'd like so start with this de-horning business.
    The f&f moderator mentioned "Local anaesthetic" for dehorning in a post above and I'll be looking into the truth about this and what actually happens on the ground.

Now before anybody starts to get offended or defensive, have a look over my post and you'll see I'm only asking questions about the foods you clearly love so much.

Later.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Having stayed away for a few days the "tasty tasty burger" gang are back with a bang!

Now i'd like to point out, if you look back over the thread you'll see the last time the "tasty tasty burger" gang were doing their thing, it wasn't me! but them who were getting more and more upset and eventually told me to f off.

So I hope you've grown and are able keep your emotions in check this time round.
    I'm not a farmer nor a vegan, I'm only looking for the truth about the actual life of a farm animal.
    I don't have time now but later on I hope we can have a discussion and explore the issues in getting the above foods onto your plate.

The f&f moderator mentioned "Local anaesthetic" for dehorning in a post above and I'll be looking into the truth about this and what actually happens on the ground.

Now before anybody starts to get offended or defensive, have a look over my post and you'll see I'm only asking questions about the foods you clearly love so much.

Later.

Ill eat whatever I believe maximises my health, end of story

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I am not sure why you are including me in some arbitrary group of people to be honest - especially given the behaviours you are ascribing to them are not behaviours I have once engaged in on this thread or any other.

If you want to talk to _me_ I am here for you. Gladly.

If you want to lump me in with some arbitrary grouping and fling your personal issues with them at me in the process - you are on your own.

Thanking you muchly.

I don't have time now but later on I hope we can have a discussion and explore the issues in getting the above foods onto your plate. So when I'm back i'd like so start with this de-horning business.The f&f moderator mentioned "Local anaesthetic" for dehorning in a post above and I'll be looking into the truth about this and what actually happens on the ground.
    Now before anybody starts to get offended or defensive, have a look over my post and you'll see I'm only asking questions about the foods you clearly love so muchLater.

So you are geting offended by what others eat? I'm not sure why this triggers you to the extent it does? Foods 'you clearly love do much'?. Not a veg*n? Surely you eat such foods as well no?

Seriously who wants to engage with anyone who starts calling other posters 'Liars!' and attempts to claim farmers are all the same etc etc?

Someone told you to 'f off' with your nonsense and when again when you claimed another poster said your comments were 'deranged' - you falsely claimed these comments were personal when it is clear they were directed at what you were posting.

Now either you have problems with the language or you are looking to stir ****e. I'm going for the latter.

Now going to the bolded bit for a minute - you claim you are not farming right? Ok then that makes you something you have accused others of in this thread. You sir are by your own definition a 'liar' and using your own stick to beat yourself with. Let me quote your own post of less than 6 months ago.
    Maybe i'm the odd one but just because you don't post here regularly doesn't mean your not farming.

For me it's farming and g.a.a, morning, noon and night and I'm fine with that, but the odd time I go on boards I've no interest in talking about either.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057922363/8/#post108439571

Thanks - but I for one wont be taking up on your magnanimous offer of "looking into the truth about this and what actually happens on the ground.. Lol

Because as someone involved in "farming" - you obviously know exactly the 'truth' what happens on the ground. Thanks all the same ...

This video here.
    https://youtu.be/U9DyHthJ6LA?t=482
    Start at 8:03 for the burger.

Thanks for that btw. Appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

In some ways you could consider dehorning on a par with having a tooth filled at the dentist..

I'd consider the animal experiences a level of discomfort from the overall experience of being caught-restrained-injected-dehorned, but over the whole of its life is much better off as a result as it minimises damage to themselves, other animals and even farmers.

Do I hate having a tooth filled? damn sure, its uncomfortable, not my natural environment. Does that mean its doing me harm or is bad for me, of course not, its being done for my benifet.

Did the animal concent to the process as I would at the dentist?, no of course not, that argument while common is absurd, animals don't have that level of cognitive ability, its just a fact that they don't. They are farmed animals, domesticated relatives of wild animals, not a sub set of wild animals that have magically acheived human levels of intelligence and feelings, assigning them human level traits is wrong and inappropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Later.

You need to read back over the thread yourself there and come back to me with an apology if you have any bit of integrity.

At no time did I ever tell anyone to Fu*k off, the only time I engaged with you was to answer a question you asked.

I do like a tasty burger, but I'm not in any gangs.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

You need to read back over the thread yourself there and come back to me with an apology if you have any bit of integrity.

At no time did I ever tell anyone to Fu*k off, the only time I engaged with you was to answer a question you asked.

I do like a tasty burger, but I'm not in any gangs.

That poster needs to come back to a fair few apologies tbh. Calling posters 'liar' in the discussion and then getting all uppity because another poster told him what he had written was nonsense. And to top it all off he can't even keep his own story straight tbh. :mad:

• Advertisement

You need to read back over the thread yourself there and come back to me with an apology .

Having considered your request, I and have decided that on this occasion your apology is being denied.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Ted Johnson

Having considered your request, I and have decided that on this occasion your apology is being denied.

My chilli was savage btw. Thanks for asking.

Now going to the bolded bit for a minute - you claim you are not farming right? Ok then that makes you something you have accused others of in this thread. You sir are by your own definition a 'liar' and using your own stick to beat yourself with. Let me quote your own post of less than 6 months ago.

I spoke the truth then and I do now.

I said I was farming. I could've been picking Tangerines on a farm in Palatka 6mths ago for all you know.

On one hand - I'm concerned for you gozunda, as lot of hours must have been spent finding that, now inconsequential post.

On the other hand - While you may have stayed awake last night wading through my post history. I've little doubt you're now the wiser for it.

I'm giving you a pass on some of your other posts as I'm sure you're tired today.

My chilli was savage btw. Thanks for asking.

:confused: I didn't ask

I spoke the truth then and I do now.I said I was farming. I could've been picking Tangerines on a farm in Palatka 6mths ago for all you know.On one hand - I'm concerned for you gozunda, as lot of hours must have been spent finding that, now inconsequential post.On the other hand - While you may have stayed awake last night wading through my post history. I've little doubt you're now the wiser for it.I'm giving you a pass on some of your other posts as I'm sure you're tired today.

I reckon you couldn't find your rear end with both hands in broad daylight never mind the truth lol.

I'm not a farmer

Btw It took less than two minutes to find the following post using the search function located in a Farming forum thread about Irish family farms etc
    Maybe i'm the odd one but just because you don't post here regularly doesn't mean your not farming. For me it's farming and g.a.a, morning, noon and night and I'm fine with that, but the odd time I go on boards I've no interest in talking about either.

Kinda difficult to reconcile those two statements tbh.

The thing you forgot is that they say to lie convincingly - you need to remember what you've said previously. Btw they have g.a.a in Palatka? Never knew that either!

Eitherway you are a busted flush sunshine. Tbh its not the first time we have had posters claiming to be regular ol' posters wanting to find the 'truth' (sic) on here. There's plenty of similar who've gone down that road before you.

Thanks for asking.

Kinda difficult to reconcile those two statements tbh.

Btw they have g.a.a in Palatka? Never knew that either!

Is it? How

I'll talk you through in baby steps this time.

I said " I could've been picking...."

could've - do you know what this word means?

I used this word in order to broaden your mind

I'll remind you that you're beginning to clock up lies again.
    But continue...

Is it? How. I'll talk you through in baby steps this time.
    I said " I could've been picking...." could've - do you know what this word means? I used this word in order to broaden your mind I'll remind you that you're beginning to clock up lies again.But continue...

Lol. You might want to drop that shovel - the hole is big enough to swallow you .... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭emaherx

Is it? How

I'll talk you through in baby steps this time.

I said " I could've been picking...."

could've - do you know what this word means?

I used this word in order to broaden your mind

I'll remind you that you're beginning to clock up lies again.
    But continue...

You've said several times that you are not a Farmer, and you've also said "For me it's farming and g.a.a, morning, noon and night"

No "could have" about those 2 statements, one of them is obviously not the truth.

Disbudding calves by the way.

https://youtu.be/VeluAfJlKZg

And a picture of how my cow reacts to seeing a stick, not the reaction of an animal that has ever been beaten and/or traumatized by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

Well done, the very best of local meat.

Took a pair of red deer myself on the 27th, will yeald two to three times the meat of your sika. Will be turned into steaks, mince, sausage and burger, third or so will go to another house of a fisherman that gives me fresh fish regularly.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭rm75

Seems like a lot of work that vegan lark, huge dripping red steak washed down a fine claret tonight. Cant wait.

Advertisement