Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The war on meat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Yes

Well, off with you then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭emaherx

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

emaherx wrote: »

Interesting that in addition to fossil fuel use through transport etc - that rice farming has now been also identified as a major emitter of methane
    Using this data, "the team showed that about 17 teragrams per year of the increase is due to fossil fuels, another 12 is from wetlands or rice farming, while fires are decreasing by about 4 teragrams per year," NASA said in a Jan. 2 press release. "The three numbers combine to 25 teragrams a year—the same as the observed increase."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

silverharp wrote: »
    the vast majority of vegans are female, probably a lot of churn in veganism too so most likely demographic is younger. Then you have the issue of young girls with eating disorder being attracted to veganism "as cover". you seem to have a peak group there, oddly or not i dont think i have ever met a vegan

I wonder is it linked to easing menstrual problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

If we don’t stop eating meat at the current rate then preventing the worse effects of climate change will be impossible. This is fact.

You can sacrifice your taste buds love for meat or sacrifice the planet and your life. Your choice.

Wonder how much neat have you had since you post that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Jaysus, I think it’s past your bedtime, you don’t want to be late for school tomorrow.

So funny , and so original.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

you won't find a stick being used in my yard to move cattle. It's counterproductive and unnecessary.

Same in any yard around here,

What an egregious lie!

And you along with anyone who has ever had any involvement with cattle knows full well there isn't some random parts of the country where sticks aren't used to drive cattle.

I've no idea what being a Moderator entails but straight up lying, it just isn't a good look.
    So say and do whatever you want your only harming yourself.

and what about me being told to "F U C K OFF which you definitely saw, I was half thinking I might report that sometime, cos you stayed very quiet about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

What an egregious lie!

And you along with anyone who has ever had any involvement with cattle knows full well there isn't some random parts of the country where sticks aren't used to drive cattle.

I've no idea what being a Moderator entails but straight up lying, it just isn't a good look.

and what about me being told to "F U C K OFF which you definitely saw, I was half thinking I might report that sometime, cos you stayed very quiet about it.

You have the right and ability to report any post you fell is breaking the charter. I appreciate your thinking we have the ability to read every post in every thread but that's not possible so I would encourage you to report that post or, indeed, any post that contains abuse.

Now, as to your first paragraph, I know you're going to furnish proof for that accusation, aren't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Eggplant tastes like eggplant, but meat tastes like murder and murder tastes god damn great doesn’t it?

https://youtu.be/OiSaENiho-Y

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

The next generation should see increasing amounts of technology integrated into or merging with the human body. Including generation and storage of power. 'Food'and 'eating' becoming outdated and barbaric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,937 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

The next generation should see increasing amounts of technology integrated into or merging with the human body. Including generation and storage of power. 'Food'and 'eating' becoming outdated and barbaric.

So we're all getting peg tubes fitted?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Yeah.. That sounds like fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭joeguevara

That has been said for the last 4 generations. When I was 8 it was guaranteed that all our meals would be in pill form.

But eating is one of the biggest joys we can do. The social aspect alone is so important. Also just look at the popularity of food culture in tv books traveling. Food is not simply fuel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

joeguevara wrote: »
    That has been said for the last 4 generations. When I was 8 it was guaranteed that all our meals would be in pill form.

But eating is one of the biggest joys we can do. The social aspect alone is so important. Also just look at the popularity of food culture in tv books traveling. Food is not simply fuel.

You won't need to waste valuable time eating when you have solar panels built into your body. Just give it a try. Start off with a small one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

What an egregious lie!

Now that I have a few minutes, I'll explain why we don't abuse our stock. You won't find it on YouTube so you probably won't have come across it before.

I'm in the middle of my cattle twice a day. Shouting and roaring and brandishing a plastic stick like you allude to is counterproductive. Why use a stick when a carrot will be more effective, both long and short term? If I was to go bizarrely insane, as you're accusing me of, it wouldn't make milking any easier as cows wouldn't enter the parlour or behave while there. The machine, the walls, the cows and myself would be covered in ****e which isn't conducive towards clean milk or contented animals.

Now, I sell a small number of breeding stock every year and have a small number of repeat customers for those animals. They come back because they find the stock, and the bulls especially, quiet and easy to manage, as far as retagging animals in the field by just walking up to them. Now, I appreciate that doesn't fit anywhere even in the same universe as your narrative but, unfortunately for you, that's the reality.

I'm just after returning from feeding a lamb with meningitis, after checking the close in calvers, (Again, no sticks needed nor wanted) and i have had to step over my ewes because the lazy gits wouldn't get out of my way. They have a large paddock to rest in but they choose to sleep indoors just like they choose to totally ignore me walking through the shed. Again, not your YouTube friendly scene but one that's replicated all across the country.

Your efforts to paint farmers as psychotic mass murderers just comes across to the majority of people as being, at best, slightly deranged but work away, you're only making your cause look more bizarre the minute.

Now I must get a bit of sleep so I want to take this opportunity to wish you a happy #februdairy.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

Your efforts to paint farmers as psychotic mass murderers just comes across to the majority of people as being, at best, slightly deranged but work away, you're only making your cause look more bizarre the minute.

You do understand that anyone can simply go back and read what was said.
    When I read your post it's clear you're going to obfuscate, deflect and do anything or everything to try stop a simple discussion.

So i'll keep it simple and ask again.

I'm concerned about a few aspects of everyday farming, maybe you or someone else can help me understand.

How do you stop a calfs horns from growing? How common do you think it is for farmers to let horns get bigger than whats recommended by the department?

How does an experienced farmer get trained up in using a Jack which as the name suggests is a JACK! with the power of 6 men?

How common is it for farmers to make no weaning preparations and just rip the calf away and lock up the cow at weaning?

and again how do you get cattle to go somewhere they are too frightened to go ? such as from a pen up into a truck?

Any chance of people sticking to the questions asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

I'm thinking of going pescetarian. I don't think I could completely cut meat out of my diet as I'm a total carnivore but I'm going to try to stick to fish and quorn products. I don't think I'll be completely rigid in that though, even reducing my intake of meat would be better for the environment. I've also been struggling with how pigs and chickens are kept and treated and I can't help thinking of it now when I have my rasher sandwich. It's ruining the tastiness for me so time to go for quorn instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You do understand that anyone can simply go back and read what was said.
    When I read your post it's clear you're going to obfuscate, deflect and do anything or everything to try stop a simple discussion.

So i'll keep it simple and ask again.

I'm concerned about a few aspects of everyday farming, maybe you or someone else can help me understand.

How do you stop a calfs horns from growing? How common do you think it is for farmers to let horns get bigger than whats recommended by the department?

How does an experienced farmer get trained up in using a Jack which as the name suggests is a JACK! with the power of 6 men?

How common is it for farmers to make no weaning preparations and just rip the calf away and lock up the cow at weaning?

and again how do you get cattle to go somewhere they are too frightened to go ? such as from a pen up into a truck?

Any chance of people sticking to the questions asked.

A good cattle dog will do that for you.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,565 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

If we don’t stop eating meat at the current rate then preventing the worse effects of climate change will be impossible. This is fact.

You can sacrifice your taste buds love for meat or sacrifice the planet and your life. Your choice.

Sacrifice the planet such absolute nonsense,

The planet isn't going to die any time soon , It will change like it has done since the beginning of time,

We may be speeding oit up quicker than ever but Humans are created by the planet we are part of the of the Bio Sphere we are not separate form the planet , (well not yet , not until we can reproduce else where )

Human ego likes to think we are more but we are not

We will eventually die out but more than 99 percent of living things to ever been on Earth are extinct, we will be no different,

All these vegan a hypocrites

Giving out yards about how eating meat kills the planet
    Vegans cause deforestation for the oil's in there food, Why is it ok to cut down the rain forest's ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Succubus_ wrote: »
    I'm thinking of going pescetarian. I don't think I could completely cut meat out of my diet as I'm a total carnivore but I'm going to try to stick to fish and quorn products. I don't think I'll be completely rigid in that though, even reducing my intake of meat would be better for the environment. I've also been struggling with how pigs and chickens are kept and treated and I can't help thinking of it now when I have my rasher sandwich. It's ruining the tastiness for me so time to go for quorn instead.

then don't eat pigs and chicken. Locally sourced lamb for instance is much better for their environment and your body than buying industrial made food made from ingredients sourced from half way around the world.
    Quorn doesn't grow very well on the Wicklow mountains :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

What's quorn?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

What an egregious lie!

Thought I had replied to this.

I did report that post at the time.

So it was reported.

I'm thinking of going pescetarian. I don't think I could completely cut meat out of my diet as I'm a total carnivore

If you have concerns then source your food locally and from reputable suppliers. Eat moderately and support those who produce food and farm well. Better still grow your own and keep your own chickens etc if you can. The problem with 'replacement' foods is that they are heavily processed and laden with salt and other additives to make them palatable.

At present the biggest issue with the environment is our use of fossil fuels and transport which are the single largest source of greenhouse gases and pollution. The food miles racked up by some imported foods are staggering and not sustainable. A single long distance flight will wipe out cutting back in what the average person eats. So yeah cut back - but most importantly we need to seriously reduce our use of transport and fossil fuels. And interestingly it's not always animal products which have the largest carbon footprint. Funny we don't often see this promoted though.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/12/151214130727.htm

I guess what I'm getting at is - eat wisely and avoid where possible highly processed junk foods which are promoted as food fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

All these vegan a hypocrites

Giving out yards about how eating meat kills the planet
    Vegans cause deforestation for the oil's in there food, Why is it ok to cut down the rain forest's ?

There are oils in all foods, not just vegan foods. The deforestation to allow for grazing is a bigger issue.
    What's quorn?

Its like the Quran but better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Stopped eating red meat for the same reasons about 4-5 years ago.

Quorn is delicious!

There are oils in all foods, not just vegan foods. The deforestation to allow for grazing is a bigger issue.

Its like the Quran but better.

There are oils in all foods but Palm oil is the issue here and is mainly used by Vegan companies,

Hypocrites end of story ,

What's quorn?

Interesting article here about Quorn products replacements ...

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/feb/12/quorn-revolution-rise-ultra-processed-fake-meat
    The Quorn revolution: the rise of ultra-processed fake meat

It was reported last week that Quorn is on course to become a billion-dollar business. It is part of a booming industry of meat alternatives – but many of these products are a far cry from the idea of a natural, plant-based diet..

Also not fan tbh, poisoned with salt*

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/06/health-warning-salt-content-vegetarian-sausages/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭1641

gozunda wrote: »
    Not fan of them tbh, poisoned with salt* Interesting article here about Quorn products replacements ...

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/feb/12/quorn-revolution-rise-ultra-processed-fake-meat QUOTE

In other words, ultra-processed junk food produced by a billion dollar industry and unscrupulously marketed to the credulous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There are oils in all foods but Palm oil is the issue here and is mainly used by Vegan companies,

Hypocrites end of story ,

Palm oil is a super oil. It's how its production is managed is the problem.

Advertisement