Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The war on meat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    That post is from 4 months ago. 4 months & you still have it in the back of your mind. I took you off ignore today to read some of your posts. Posting throughout the night and all day again today. You’re no farmer.
    No one is that obsessed unless it’s theyre job to try to promote meat/dairy. Or maybe you’re Piers Morgan.Good night. No doubt you’ll be up all night again.

You again? Btw it's called the search function friend. You should try it! Yeah sure 'ignore' lol - you've been commenting on my posts all the way through the thread! I don't stand bs - that's it.

So far in this thread your accusations have it - I'm "two people. I work for bord bia. I'm a farmer / not a farmer. I promote the dairy & meat industry, I'm Piers Morgan" etc etc rflol. Is it you can't stand up to a little bit of logic and common sense eh?

Btw yet another 'stalker' like your little friend above lol - I'm sure you checked - I was in my bed normal time last night.

Anyway take care. Don't bang the door on your way out. ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Unearthly wrote: »
    As expected.

Can't back up your original point that most vegans dislike vegetarians more than omnivores

Just look at their post history. Posting throughout the night.....every hour

Hilarious or Frightening.....not sure which

Just look at their post history. Posting throughout the night.....every hour Hilarious or Frightening.....not sure which

christ you're obsessed stalking and making things up. Creepy !. Your going on the ignore list ... you should try it!

gozunda wrote: »
    I'll it's called the search function friend. You should try it! Yeah sure 'ignore' lol - you've been commenting on my posts all the way through the thread! I don't stand bs - that's it. So far the accusations have it - I'm "two people. I work for bord bia. I'm a farmer / not a farmer. I promote the dairy & meat industry, I'm Piers Morgan" etc etc rflol. Is it you can't stand up to a little bit of logic and common sense eh?

Btw yet another 'stalker' like your little friend above lol - Im sure you checked - I was in my bed normal time last night. Anyway take care. Don't bang the door on your way out. ;).

You need a break from the internet.

I had to google rflol.

Christ.

You need a break from the internet. I had to google rflol. Christ.

Ditto. 'Rflol' at your very silly posts.
    "Rolling on the floor laughing out loud". Indeed. Bye now and done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Ditto. 'Rflol'
    Rolling on the floor laughing out loud". Indeed. Bye now.

Did you lie about putting them on the ignore list????

I've never known you to lie before Gozunda

Ditto. 'Rflol'
    Rolling on the floor laughing out loud". Indeed. Bye now.

Thought I was on ignore.

You humiliated yourself keeping a post from 4 months ago in the back burner.

Humiliated. Dead right to run off.

mad muffin wrote: »
    Our ancestors ate meat… and here we stand. Gorillas are vegetarian… and where are they?

I’ll tell you where? Left behind. Because they need to spend most of their day eating plants.

We are where we are because our ancestors ate meat. It means they didn’t have to spend large amount of their day eating. It means they had more time to develop. It’s simple biology. Meat is life.

Agreed.The peculiar thing is that despite all the various claims there is good evidence that gorillas in the wild do eat meat ...

See.
    https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/03/100305-first-proof-gorillas-eat-monkeys-mammals-feces-dna/

Unfortunately it would appear their digestion is different to humans - they can't benefit from the full nutritional value of meat the way humans can...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The problem is plants feel pain depending on your definition of awareness. But is it okay because they aren't as developed as animals? Is there an intelligence grading process? Is eating maggots or crickets okay, (not Buddy Holly)?

tumblr_n8cws5c2Hf1qfrrv2o2_1280.png

The line is pretty clear. If they feel fear and pain, yes its okay to eat something that isnt developed enough to feel those things

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

I had a lovely rare steak for dinner.Niccccce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Tried some Linda McCartney rosemary and thyme sausages tonight.

Have to admit they were nice.

Wouldn't have them in a coddle however!

I actually like the Quorn sausages. They are a nice occasional alternative. Nothing to do with so called ethical reasons.

I think I tasted them during one of those sample stands in Tesco and bought a pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭MFPM

Pissartist wrote: »
    I had a lovely rare steak for dinner.Niccccce

Judging by your post, it's not doing much for your intellect though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

It's mad, you're just a person in my computer (sorry :o ) - but with your username, I just never thought you'd be a cattle man but then again, didn't know what I thought- I just wanted you to be a Sheriff :P

Saying that, probably next appropriate thing to being a Southern Sheriff is a cattle man- like, you could never be a HR Manager or an Insurance Salesman with that name :D

(sorry OT I know)

He’s Jackie Gleason.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Her indoors has a nice bag of breakfast meat ready for the pan for Sunday morning

This will never change

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I actually like the Quorn sausages. They are a nice occasional alternative. Nothing to do with so called ethical reasons.

I think I tasted them during one of those sample stands in Tesco and bought a pack.

They are poisoned with salt way more than real sausages and were found to be way less healthier than the real thing. You can’t make plants taste like meat without adding loads of additives to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Ireland cannot be self sufficient and vegan. It wont work.

The majority of vegan food or ingredients for fake vegan burgers etc are imported.

They must be imported as it is impossible to grow them in Ireland.

What happens if everyone goes vegan and the cheap imports stop? You cant live on cabbage.

Its funny that you never hear vegan activists complaining about Halal meat. That is wrong compared to usual practice. Its barbaric.

But its not PC to mention Halal. Aim for everyone else.

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    They are poisoned with salt way more than real sausages and were found to be way less healthier than the real thing. You can’t make plants taste like meat without adding loads of additives to them.

I made some salad taste like meat many years ago.. Also learned using a shotgun to kill a rabbit in the middle of the lettuce patch is not a good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Ireland cannot be self sufficient and vegan. It wont work.

The majority of vegan food or ingredients for fake vegan burgers etc are imported.

They must be imported as it is impossible to grow them in Ireland.

What happens if everyone goes vegan and the cheap imports stop? You cant live on cabbage.

Its funny that you never hear vegan activists complaining about Halal meat. That is wrong compared to usual practice. Its barbaric.

But its not PC to mention Halal. Aim for everyone else.

It’s also interesting that they’re saying the western diet is not sustainable to support a population of 10 billion people when populations are generally declining or stabilising in western countries. Does that mean we’re responsible for feeding other parts of the world? Are they trying to suggest that Indians have a similar diet to westerners?

It does concern me a bit that we are looking to expand our export of meat and dairy products and the demand for our produce is very high and growing. That concerns me because wealthy people in emerging economic powerhouses are prepared and capable of paying a lot more for Irish meat than we are. I think because of this and the sheer demand we will soon be looking at much more expensive meat with reduced quality.

It’s also interesting that they’re saying the western diet is not sustainable to support a population of 10 billion people when populations are generally declining or stabilising in western countries. Does that mean we’re responsible for feeding other parts of the world? Are they trying to suggest that Indians have a similar diet to westerners?

It does concern me a bit that we are looking to expand our export of meat and dairy products and the demand for our produce is very high and growing. That concerns me because wealthy people in emerging economic powerhouses are prepared and capable of paying a lot more for Irish meat than we are. I think because of this and the sheer demand we will soon be looking at much more expensive meat with reduced quality.

So the west should eat like the east???? More food flown in rather than grown locally as part of a mixed meat/veg diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Ireland is badly bullied on this front for few reasons

1- For the cow to produce methane and CO2 it has to eat grass, for the grass to grow it has to absorb CO2, so the methane and CO2 the cow produces should be measured against the CO2 grass absorbs.

2- Ireland produces more CO2 compared to Germany, France, UK and other countries, Other countries generate electricity by nuclear power, nuclear power doesn't generate CO2 so it is completely ignored as a pollutant, as if Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Chernobyl and Fukushima were pleasant events. CO2 produced by non nuclear countries should be measured against the negative impact of nuclear energy. And if anything will wipe us off the planet it will be nuclear weapons, one Ohio class submarine can destroy up to 288 big cities without refuelling or rearming. "Wiki".

3- This anti meat anti milk campaign will not stop people eating meat and drinking milk, it will only force commercial farming, cows will be kept in big sheds and methane will be extracted and used as a fuel and CO2 will be dealt with.

4- If we all become vegans will the cows be happy? , Not really, as there will be no cows anyway, cows will disappear and the land will be used to grow something else, probably not many people will keep a cow as a family pet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Where does this leave fish?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Wiki: Rice fields also generate large amounts of methane during plant growth

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methane#Fuel

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    Ireland is badly bullied on this front for few reasons

1- For the cow to produce methane and CO2 it has to eat grass, for the grass to grow it has to absorb CO2, so the methane and CO2 the cow produces should be measured against the CO2 grass absorbs.

2- Ireland produces more CO2 compared to Germany, France, UK and other countries, Other countries generate electricity by nuclear power, nuclear power doesn't generate CO2 so it is completely ignored as a pollutant, as if Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Chernobyl and Fukushima were pleasant events. CO2 produced by non nuclear countries should be measured against the negative impact of nuclear energy. And if anything will wipe us off the planet it will be nuclear weapons, one Ohio class submarine can destroy up to 288 big cities without refuelling or rearming. "Wiki".

3- This anti meat anti milk campaign will not stop people eating meat and drinking milk, it will only force commercial farming, cows will be kept in big sheds and methane will be extracted and used as a fuel and CO2 will be dealt with.

4- If we all become vegans will the cows be happy? , Not really, as there will be no cows anyway, cows will disappear and the land will be used to grow something else, probably not many people will keep a cow as a family pet.

Morning!

The thing is that whilst we produce food and export it - it's in the country of origin that the co2 will be counted. Not the country where it will sold to consumers and eaten. So it raises the interesting question that those who wish to offset their carbon commissions do so by getting others to shoulder the responsibility of production. Germany is a prime example of this and yet preaches to other countries about 'their responsibilitues" ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Morning!

The thing is that whilst we produce food and export it - it's in the country of origin that the co2 will be counted. Not the country where it will sold to consumers and eaten. So it raises the interesting question that those who wish to offset their carbon commissions do so by getting others to shoulder the responsibility of production. Germany is a prime example of this and yet preaches to other countries about 'their responsibilitues" ...

Germany recognises that all countries have a responsibility as do most progressive countries that are led by people that actually believe in the findings of science. As for the US now that s a different matter all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I won't be cutting back as much as recommended but the climate thing has given me food for though. I'm gonna start small with maybe a vegetarian day and a vegan day once a week each. Maybe move on from there to further cutting back.

I won't be cutting back as much as recommended but the climate thing has given me food for though. I'm gonna start small with maybe a vegetarian day and a vegan day once a week each. Maybe move on from there to further cutting back.

Make more sense tbh if we first cut back on our use of fossil fuels and non essential transport. These are the single biggest sectors in relation to green house gases globally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Make more sense tbh if we first cut back on our use of fossil fuels and non essential transport. These are the single biggest sectors in relation to green house gases globally.

Why not both? I'm hoping to buy an electric car this year myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Just murdered a pig and a baby chicken for breakfast. Think I'll roast my next victim for Lunch!

I can't imagine Sundays without a mass murdering spree

Why not both? I'm hoping to buy an electric car this year myself.

Sure. Although electric cars also use electricity from power plants which burn fossil fuels. So not the huge panacea as made out. Plus the batteries and their end life are of significant concern in relation to them being dumped on the developing world. Afaik most long distance flight will wipe out any personal reduction in the eating of meat. So it's important to be aware of all the issues I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

If you really wanted to save the environment you'd keep your old banger on the road as long as possible.

Advertisement