Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The war on meat

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

What % of cattle whould you say are loaded from a circular yard?

You didn't answer my question about sticks
    I don't know how many animals are moved with sticks or circular yards, I'm responsible for my stock and not someone elses stock. I load and handle my animals as stress free as possible both for my own sake and theirs.

Stressing animals during movement and handling has known risks for respiratory illnesses which I prefer to avoid and dark meat from bruising where animals are struck prior to slaughter and tougher meat where animals are stressed prior to slaughter. As we are paid on saleable meat yields, it doesn't make any sense to knowingly reduce the value of stock before slaughter.

Perhaps you should take the issue up with those you have knowledge of doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

just in the door after a hard days killing ,now for a nice feed of roast pork and apple sauce yum yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Why are people happy to kill plants for food but not animals?

No central nervous system in plants

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Fergalicious

Why are people happy to kill plants for food but not animals?

Agree. Will someone please think of the plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The problem is plants feel pain depending on your definition of awareness. But is it okay because they aren't as developed as animals? Is there an intelligence grading process? Is eating maggots or crickets okay, (not Buddy Holly)?

Ok so both animals and plants are by definition organisms which are alive. If someone has moral difficulties with killing and eating one - why not the other? Why the discrimination and disregard for one entire biological kingdom, who are ultimately essential to life on this planet? In fact is that not the essence of vegan defined specism - where species are discriminated because some judge them to be different and therefore free to exploit?

• Advertisement

Agree. Will someone please think of the plants.

*thinks of plants*

What now? :confused:

I don't know how many animals are moved with sticks or circular yards, I'm responsible for my stock and not someone elses stock. I load and handle my animals as stress free as possible both for my own sake and theirs.

Stressing animals during movement and handling has known risks for respiratory illnesses which I prefer to avoid and dark meat from bruising where animals are struck prior to slaughter and tougher meat where animals are stressed prior to slaughter. As we are paid on saleable meat yields, it doesn't make any sense to knowingly reduce the value of stock before slaughter.

Perhaps you should take the issue up with those you have knowledge of doing so.

And here's me thinking you were a Sheriff :(

gozunda wrote: »
    Ok so both animals and plants are by definition organisms which are alive. If someone has moral difficulties with killing and eating one - why not the other? Why the discrimination and disregard for one entire biological kingdom, who are ultimately essential to life on this planet? In fact is that not the essence of vegan defined specism - where species are discriminated because some judge them to be different and therefore free to exploit?

I take it you re taking the piss yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Dannyriver wrote: »

He's a daily mirror reading farmer, it's hard to know

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭emaherx

I'm sure he is. But there is a point that every vegan avoids, it's OK to poison insects (sentiant creatures) to grow their food but not OK to eat meat.

The extinction of the bee will kill us all long before carbon emissions do!

• Advertisement

Nope. Is it you can't answer that conundrum?

Unearthly wrote: »
    He's a daily mirror reading farmer, it's hard to know

This from a poster who apparently believes in the EAT fairy tale "Planetary Health diet" (sic) report. The irony is exquisite.

Was it the message that the EAT report is a pile of manure that you didn't like or do you just prefer to shoot the messengers?

Here's some more opinion for you to take aim at ...

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/01/does-lancet-want-to-hand-control-of-our-diets-to-the-state/

https://www.continentaltelegraph.com/food/eat-lancet-report-on-food-supply-incorrect-as-it-starts-from-the-wrong-premises/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Meat control doesn't matter. It's a stopgap. Population growth needs to be curbed or there will be wars.

I think outlook is bleak beyond 2050/2060

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Meat control doesn't matter. It's a stopgap. Population growth needs to be curbed or there will be wars.

Well if there will be wars that will take care of population growth, so how is the outlook bleak!

Nope. Is it you can't answer that conundrum?

Really? Ok fair enough. Plants don t have a nervous system therefore they don t feel pain.

Both matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Really? Ok fair enough. Plants don t have a nervous system therefore they don t feel pain.

Yet plants are organisms and are alive the same as any other organism on the planet.

It's acknowledged plants do feel pain just not the way we do.

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20170109-plants-can-see-hear-and-smell-and-respond

They are different certainly. But to refuse to acknowledge those difference is the essence of specism - something which vegans accuse omnivores of. I see double standards there tbh

Your proposition would also suggest that something which is dead or whose central nervous system is inactive would be ok to eat. Is that the case?

They're very clever though. If a group of trees are attacked in some way, by disease or something else, they have a communication system and can alter their growth pattern to try and preserve themselves where possible.

I don't have a link right now but it's widely recognised.

They're very clever though. If a group of trees are attacked in some way, by disease or something else, they have a communication system and can alter their growth pattern to try and preserve themselves where possible.

I don't have a link right now but it's widely recognised.

I know that but intelligence of the type plants have and consciousness are entirely different things.

• Advertisement

I know that but intelligence of the type plants have and consciousness are entirely different things.

Ah yeah, not going there with you on that- I wouldn't be knowing too much about that sort of thing. I just drive the bus :D

Yet plants are organisms and are alive the same as any other organism on the planet.

It's acknowledged plants do feel pain just not the way we do.

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20170109-plants-can-see-hear-and-smell-and-respond

They are different certainly. But to refuse to acknowledge those difference is the essence of specism - something which vegans accuse omnivores of. I see double standards there tbh

Your proposition would also suggest that something which is dead or whose central nervous system is inactive would be ok to eat. Is that the case?

There should be a word for people who argue **** that s so ridiculous it qualifies as trolling but the person isn't actually aware that they are.

How do we measure or determine whether an organism has "consciousness"? And if something possesses different types of intelligence - does that give someone the right to uphold one but dismiss another?
    There should be a word for people who argue **** that s so ridiculous it qualifies as trolling but the person isn't actually aware that they are.

Ignorance does not serve as an answer.

And yet still you can't or won't answer that ethical conundrum. Why is that? The main problem with veganism imo is an inherent hypocrisy and a complete lack of any logic within vegan 'beliefs'.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,202 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If you walk on your lawn you kill and injure many small insects. Let's follow the logic.

Water John wrote: »
    If you walk on your lawn you kill and injure many small insects. Let's follow the logic.

In tribute to another ridiculous thread, that would be insecticide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

And here's me thinking you were a Sheriff :(
    Since the Bandit passed on, I've had to diversify:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’d just love to see tolerance on both sides.

I’m happy for people to be vegan or vegetarian and keep it to themselves, completely to themselves. Unless I’m cooking dinner for you I shouldn’t know what your opinion on food and animals as food is, I’m just not interested.

The thing that gets up my nose is the constant need to portray non vegans as some sort of ravenous uncontrollable sub humans who happily eat animals with no respect nor care for their welfare.
    The absolute truth is near all people want the highest standards for animal welfare up to amd including their slaughter. Yes I beleive that animals can be humainly slaughtered, that’s my position, I’ve beem with my own animals being slaughtered for food for my table and I’m 100% happy it was a stress free humain process.

I don’t need anyone telling me otherwise, I was there each time and it was as expected.

I fully support the identification and closure of any place that doesn’t follow proper rules and practice, but not all slaughterhouses, killing animals for food is natural and to me acceptable, I don’t want to make anyone else accept it, I don’t want to talk to vegans or vegetarians about it at all.

Let’s just all get on with doing our own thing, anyone breaking laws needs taking to account, but anyone operating working the law shouldn’t be harassed for what they do.

How do we measure or determine whether an organism has "consciousness"? And if something possesses different types of intelligence - does that give someone the right to uphold one but dismiss another?

Ignorance does not serve as an answer.

And yet still you can't or won't answer that ethical conundrum. Why is that? The main problem with veganism imo is an inherent hypocrisy and a complete lack of any logic within vegan 'beliefs'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y7QhnjyDXU

"Vegetable rice and peas"? Is that your dinner?
    A vacuous video dump is the best you can do? Lol.

• Advertisement

Since the Bandit passed on, I've had to diversify:D

It's mad, you're just a person in my computer (sorry :o ) - but with your username, I just never thought you'd be a cattle man but then again, didn't know what I thought- I just wanted you to be a Sheriff :P

Saying that, probably next appropriate thing to being a Southern Sheriff is a cattle man- like, you could never be a HR Manager or an Insurance Salesman with that name :D

(sorry OT I know)

Advertisement